It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marine vet's 20-foot flagpole has homeowners association filing suit over a display of patriotism t

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

C. We are law abiding citizens that recognize the validity of contracts we enter into and do not run about breaking them at a whim or selectively enforcing only the parts of the contract we find appealing.

I have noticed that some on this board value the rule of law and their good word and personal honor while others have complete disregard for their own personal integrity.
edit on 8-1-2011 by Dilligaf28 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Dilligaf28

Like I said, I am just so happy for you. There are those who are simple minded enough to "Obey the law" simply because there is one, regardless of whether the law is right or just. Then there are those who tire of the self-righteous who would impose their will upon the rest of us because they feel that they know best. Any guess which one is you and which one is me?

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
reply to post by Dilligaf28

Like I said, I am just so happy for you. There are those who are simple minded enough to "Obey the law" simply because there is one, regardless of whether the law is right or just. Then there are those who tire of the self-righteous who would impose their will upon the rest of us because they feel that they know best. Any guess which one is you and which one is me?

This argument wold hold some water if the man didnt willfully move into the HOA.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

Please tell me what your opinion is! But first keep in mind we aren't talking about a law we are talking about an HOA that you voluntarily signed a contract stating you would abide by the covenants of the HOA.

You read the contract and signed it. Its that simple. All your notions and statements about extraneous things or your attempts to box me into categories you created does not change the fact we are talking about a willful disregard for the word you gave to obey the stipulations of a contract you signed in good faith.

You cannot distract from the fact that you word is not good and you have little personal integrity based upon your own statements.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

Why can't people mind their own dang business anymore. We are living around born and bred fascist wannabes now!

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
Obviously several posters in this forum are either a.) HOA board members or b.) Those who live in specially gated communities to avoid the hoi poloi, like me.

You all are too much. No really, you ARE too much!

Perhaps you should start your own thread on HOA contracts and how to manipulate them.

Instead of posting all your little happy faces and implying No One Knows anything but you.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by sara123123
reply to post by Whereweheaded

Why can't people mind their own dang business anymore. We are living around born and bred fascist wannabes now!

Did you miss the part where the Marine knowing and willingly signed and agreed to the rules of his HOA - - BEFORE moving in?

Please - - - define Fascist for me.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I find it hilarious how some people complain about the US having 10 zillion laws and that the government shouldn't get involved in their business etc... YET they don't mind when a law is in their favor...

Who the hell has a "Flag law" anyways? lol...

Magnum

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Magnum007
Who the hell has a "Flag law" anyways? lol...

Private communities apparently. Emphasis on the word PRIVATE.

NO ONE is forced to live in these private communities. And no one is denying the right to fly the flag in this private communities.

Where I live - - - some citizens are trying to ban flying other countries flags like Canada and Mexico. Not in private communities - - but ANY WHERE.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Actually I was being sarcastic... The Federal Government of the US has this ridiculous "Flag law"...

Some americans make me laugh... and for that I thank them for making my day!

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Flying the US flag is a right as an American and we don't give up those rights to apease little rule fascists at the neighborhood. It is not logical to think banning signs and flags includes the American flag rather it is in place to avoid advertising and sloppiness.

Any rule can be taken to an extreme by littel fascist wannabes who have no moral compass and no wisdom.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Flying the US flag is a right as an American and we don't give up those rights to apease little rule fascists at the neighborhood. It is not logical to think banning signs and flags includes the American flag rather it is in place to avoid advertising and sloppiness.

Any rule can be taken to an extreme by littel fascist wannabes who have no moral compass and no wisdom.

No one is denying this man's right to fly the American flag. What part of that are you not getting?

Please explain Fascist to me. You keep throwing Fascist into your posts. Please explain what a Fascist is.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Magnum007
reply to post by Annee

Actually I was being sarcastic... The Federal Government of the US has this ridiculous "Flag law"...

Some americans make me laugh... and for that I thank them for making my day!

Yeah well - - - for me - - - watching Sagan's "Pale Blue Dot' - - - makes the pettiness of borders and pride in nationalism ridiculous and out dated.

Hope I made your day!

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

The soldier discussed in the OP is free to fly his flag all he wants. He simply is not free to put it on top of a pole higher than 6 feet tall. That stipulation is a part of the HOA code that governs the neighborhood. The stipulation clearly states the height of a flag pole which would indicate they expected flags to be flown on these poles of no more than 6 feet in height.

The soldier was given the HOA documents before he purchased the home and decided to sign the HOA contract and live by it. He was not forced, coerced, or tricked into this decision. He then appealed the rules to try to get a variance for the flag and that appeal was denied. Then rather than abiding by the contract which he signed in good faith he violated the HOA code and erected a 20 foot flag pole in an act of willful disregard to the contract he signed.

To boil it down he gave his word and then went back on that word. That is deceitful and dishonest behavior unfitting of a United States Marine.

As for this notion that those in the neighborhood are fascists I will again point out that fascism is basically a small minority ruling the majority. The people that live in an HOA community do so of their own free will. They want the HOA in place or they would not live there. IF you feel the people whom desire this are in error and think HOAs should be abolished then you would be the one that fits the definition of fascist since you are projecting your viewpoint onto a vast majority of people.

As for taking a rule to the extreme I must say that comment makes no sense at all. It is not extreme to expect someone to abide by a contract that they freely signed in good faith. It is very extreme to exceed the designated height of a flag pole by 14 feet after being told it was against the rules you agreed to obey.
edit on 8-1-2011 by Dilligaf28 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ripcontrol
invite them over (the HA) verbally then hang em, because they have threatened him and the core...

It's Corps. The Marine Corps. NOT "core".

I say kill them and do it now..... For freedom... For our children...

Oh, Lord!

I really hate HOAs. I've lived where there was one and hated the restrictions, but I followed them. I hope this guy can work something out with his HOA, but I think he'll end up taking down the flag.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

this sounds about right

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by trailertrash

Hey jack wagon, if you paid attention at all and actually read the attached article, you would know that the article on this thread is the same title in the original document>

Pull your head out before making idiotic comments~
edit on 8-1-2011 by Whereweheaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
If you own land, you own not just the land, but the height of it also. which means you can have it, as long as it isnt interfering with air travel. private associations may differ though because you are agreeing with a private entity, the condo association, and their rules can differ from state or government regulations. like where i live, i cant park my car in reverse. its a condo rule, not a state law. There are also condo rules that i cant put anything out front because, i only own the house itself, and the lawn is the condo property. any decor (includes 2 American Flags,) I have to keep on my porch.

(As defined online)
""Unlimited air rights existed when people began owning real estate. It was not something that anyone really concerned themselves with before the 20th century. The first legal limits placed on air rights came about because of the airplane. Eventually, owners only had rights to airspace that they could reasonably use. It would be impractical for the development of air travel for individual landowners to own all the air above them, because airplanes would be constantly trespassing.""

If he owned his own property (not within an association) he could put whatever he wants.
edit on 8-1-2011 by Mastermook because: spelling

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Its obviously an issue of an individual against a group of people

The law definedly allows him to fly the flag, noone has an issue with that .. period

Now this guy decides to put his flag on a too large pole, and others don't like it, so they take action.
whoms rights are violated now ?
the majority of people represented by the HOA don't want a single person to make their nice and shiny settlement look like an aircraft carrier from the distance, thats the point here.

Its basically the same like if he constanly lets his stereo running too loud.
people in a community do not have to accept that, like they do not have to accept letting the whole area look like a fortress for this too large flag flying.
At some point the right of many, has a higher value than an inidividuals right.

Theres no need to throw in political opinions about that, this is some sort of democratic basics, you all should have learned by the time.

Things regarding such issues are put into regulations, which can be accepted by the people living in this sort of communities, if they fail to respect these rules they get fined. thats how it is. thats how democracy works.

Is there anything somone has not understood regarding the rights of the people ?
take a look here

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by The Ghost Who Walks

Get a grip, dude. You can claim all of the legalities you want to. You also adhere to a lot of the bullsh4t that is going on in this country. You probably tell people not to complain and not to be "alarmists".

Tell you what. You want to live in that kind of society? Fine. A lot of us DON'T. Go find somewhere to live that way, and stand aside as some of us try to actually FIX this country.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join