It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marine vet's 20-foot flagpole has homeowners association filing suit over a display of patriotism t

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
See, now here is where I must agree with those of us who side with those who are against people who wish to impose their own little nazi-like worlds on others. Don't spoon-feed your bullsht about "well, he moved into the HOA" and "he signed the contract", etc. Those of you saying this are either (1) HOA nazis, (2) pathetic little sheep who agree to EVERY rule you encounter, (3) "yes" man (can I have another, please?), (4) wishing for a democracy when you LIVE IN A REPUBLIC. This country used to have respect for individuals, especially property owners. These HOA are nothing short than mission creep of vindictive little pissants. Original intent of a HOA was supposed to be to aid in the management and maintenance of the COMMON PROPERTY, not the individual property. But things have become so out of hand in recent years that our Congress has to enact laws to preserve that which USED TO BE sacred (like the ability to fly a flag). Don't comment about 6-ft flagpoles. Last I saw, we fly that flag proudly above, not 6-ft on a stick. HOA are for those who wish to manhandle and control the INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS OF OTHERS. Period.

Those of you who think nothing of it are free to line up in the lane where you get stopped randomly, asked for papers, and body cavity searched because you are a suspect. For driving. After 10pm. Or whatever other crazy rules are enacted because "other people want them" (but, hey - you wanted democracy, right? GET A GRIP).

Originally posted by TMJ1972
Its obviously an issue of an individual against a group of people

The law definedly allows him to fly the flag, noone has an issue with that .. period

Now this guy decides to put his flag on a too large pole, and others don't like it, so they take action.
whoms rights are violated now ?
the majority of people represented by the HOA don't want a single person to make their nice and shiny settlement look like an aircraft carrier from the distance, thats the point here.

Its basically the same like if he constanly lets his stereo running too loud.
people in a community do not have to accept that, like they do not have to accept letting the whole area look like a fortress for this too large flag flying.
At some point the right of many, has a higher value than an inidividuals right.

Theres no need to throw in political opinions about that, this is some sort of democratic basics, you all should have learned by the time.

Things regarding such issues are put into regulations, which can be accepted by the people living in this sort of communities, if they fail to respect these rules they get fined. thats how it is. thats how democracy works.

Is there anything somone has not understood regarding the rights of the people ?
take a look here

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by rarelibra
reply to post by The Ghost Who Walks

Get a grip, dude. You can claim all of the legalities you want to. You also adhere to a lot of the bullsh4t that is going on in this country. You probably tell people not to complain and not to be "alarmists".

Tell you what. You want to live in that kind of society? Fine. A lot of us DON'T. Go find somewhere to live that way, and stand aside as some of us try to actually FIX this country.

You say that if he wants to live in a society where legalities matter that he should go find somewhere to live that way. The problem with that statement is that people in an HOA have already found a community with guidelines that they agree with. The soldier in the OP was informed that according to the contract he signed in good faith that he could not erect a 20 foot flagpole. The HOA was not forced upon the people that live there and that includes the soldier from the OP.

The soldier in the OP broke a contract that he signed in good faith. People used to respect the rule of law and valued their personal credibility and the fact that the soldier in the OP and so many on this thread have such a blatant and boasted disregard for these things indeed indicates a problem that needs to be fixed.

IF you feel that HOAs and such are a part of a problem that needs fixing perhaps you should consider the following few sentences. The people that live within these HOA communities do not have to live there. They are not forced to buy the property there. They are fully informed of the HOA guidelines before they move into the community. In FL you can actually legally void a contract for sale and purchase if the HOA guidelines are not delivered by a certain date and/or the terms within the HOA guidelines are deemed unacceptable by the buyer. So what we have in an HOA community is a group of like minded individuals exercising their right to choose to govern their neighborhood in the way they see best ; I would be interested to know in what way these people are unamerican for doing so.

edit on 8-1-2011 by Dilligaf28 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by rarelibra

Please explain to me how a group of like minded individuals willingly and voluntarily submitting to a community governmental organization approved by each and every single member of that community at the time of joining it is in any way anything other than a fundamental expression of the American rights of choice, freedom of assembly, and property?

Furthermore often times these communities have roads that are maintained by the members of the community through a combination of HOA fees and occasional special assessments. This occurs because these roads are not considered public property and tax dollars cannot be used to maintain them. In other words these roads are private property. This means the people within these communities could if they wanted to order that anyone without a valid registration sticker should be stopped and questioned and if decided ejected from the homeowners communal property. Please explain to me how it is possible that these people could not have the right to do this on their own communally maintained road system?

I would then further like you to explain by what right you or any other individual whom objects to the concept of an HOA could deny others their freedom to live in an HOA controlled community.
edit on 8-1-2011 by Dilligaf28 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I live in a community with HOA. I can't do things like leave the garage open, park my car in the driveway for too long and certain other locations. We can't leave cars parked in the same spot for more than 72 hours at a time.

Am I happy? No

Am I going to complain? No, I chose to live here and plan to move when the time is right.

Living with an HOA comes with the territory.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
A baseball analogy is called for here. When you sign up for ANY baseball league, the league rules are posted. If you agree with the rules (standard baseball rules usually), you sign your name and agree to play by the rules. Everyone and everything is in harmony with the rules. Game begins. Everyone plays.

Three strikes, you're OUT. There is no "tyranny" from the umpires or the league in which you are playing. The rules apply to everyone. You signed on for this.

Now, hypothetically, one of the players says that he is to be allowed FOUR strikes instead of the traditional, standard and agreed-upon *three* strikes. ??? Yeah. You don't sign up to play and then decide to make your own rules. This is not tyranny or oppression. It's simply HOW IT IS in baseball leagues and ***LIFE***.

No one forced this guy (it doesn't matter that he is a marine) to sign the papers agreeing to live in and maintain his residency in this deed restricted neighboorhood/community. When you do so, you sign an HONORABLE agreement to play by the rules so *everyone* is in harmony.

You can't just suddenly decide that you aren't going to follow the rules? Be PATRITOTIC ---but within the rules. Display your marine flag proudly, ---within the guidelines of the community you chose to live in. When he signed on there was no surprise. He signed on to live in a community that prevented "distracting" lawn issues. It's not like it had been legal to have a 30ft flagpole beforehand and suddenly they said "No!" He knew it from the beginning and should just follow regulations like he did when he was a marine.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

WIth regard to your comments I will let your own avatar pic reply for me... "BULL"

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by marinesniper0351

WIth regard to your comments I will let your own avatar pic reply for me... "BULL"

Please be specific about which comments, as you are not the first to challenge me in this thread, and so far, every single one has run away with their tail tucked.

I've stated nothing but fact.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Just had to laugh.....catching...my breathe....

Fact? oh goodness~

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

So, are you going to answer the question or just post emoticons? ? What has captaintyinknots said that wasn't a fact? Speak up or...

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
These HOA are silly.. I lived in one for a while (got out as soon as I could). A black couple moved in, (oh the HOA did not like that) If they could of put *no blacks* into the HOA agreements they would! They picked on these people day in and day out ANY little thing. Nit picking the hell out of these people just because they were a black couple in the HOA and were not welcomed. No one deserves to live under such conditions. Needless to say the black couple, me, and four other households moved out... They can KISS IT HOA!!

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by MisterCrowley
Needless to say the black couple, me, and four other households moved out... They can KISS IT HOA!!

You chose the intelligent and lawful course of action. Congratulations. Instead of breaking the rules of the HOA, you left. A wise choice indeed. Too bad this guy didn't make the same choice or else deal with it using legal avenues.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

or what?

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whereweheaded

or what?

Brilliant response

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Have you heard the saying, "put up or shut up"? Either back up your accusations or stop making them. You're losing credibility by the truckload. Not that you care, actually, but I just want everyone to see that you are making accusations that have no proven basis in reality.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Accusations? Please enlighten us with these alleged accusations. I simply laughed at the comment Captain made. Nothing more.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

What was funny about it?
Just curious.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whereweheaded

Accusations? Please enlighten us with these alleged accusations. I simply laughed at the comment Captain made. Nothing more.

Uh huh - - let's refresh your memory on the question.

YOU said: With regard to your comments I will let your own avatar pic reply for me... "BULL"

CAPTAIN said: Please be specific about which comments, as you are not the first to challenge me in this thread, and so far, every single one has run away with their tail tucked. I've stated nothing but fact.

-----------------------------------------------------------

So - - what comment?

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Did not leave because of *breaking the rules* left because HOA are racist...

edit on 10-1-2011 by MisterCrowley because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by MisterCrowley

In any case, you left because the HOA did not suit your needs or live up to your expectations. And instead of breaking their rules (which you agreed to when you moved in) you left. The marine in the story should have done so, too.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by MisterCrowley
Did not leave because of *breaking the rules* left because HOA are racist...

Really? And how many HOA's have you dealt with? HOA's are not racist - - people are.

I live in an area with a lot of seniors. They love their adult's only HOAs. They feel they have worked hard all their life to live in a place that they can get up in the morning and take a walk around the neighborhood - - that all the lawns are perfectly groomed - - no old broken down cars in the driveways - - no dogs attacking them - - etc.

HOA's may not be for everyone - - - but they are perfect for some people.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join