It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain just had an Earthquake

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by NadaCambia
I'm on the West Yorkshire/East Lancashire border and felt nothing.

3.7 sounds small. I remember the 'big' one the other year, that was a 5.7 and felt all across England and parts of Scotland.

Yeah

The epicenter was just up the road from me in Dudley.

I was here visiting my folks when it happened.

I thought it was a bomb.

Im sure the Yorkshire folk was hardly concerned about this earthquake though.
Just a quick "eyyup duck", a wise crack, and that would be the limit. Yorkshiremens pride wouldnt allow for anything more!

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Heh, I've just thought, shows how small the UK is, a couple of small earthquakes and it's felt in so many places (to us), small nation, big hearts huh

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Wasn't their a quake a couple of weeks ago when we had an eclipse.
And today we had an eclipse and theirs been another quake.
I don't know if it's connected but it's a bit of a coincidence.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   

How do you people even notice a M3.6? Serious question, that. Do you have a lot of things hanging loosely on the walls or live in very tall buildings something? I 'm on the 3rd floor here, and I never really notice them unless they're M4.3 or so.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
We've also had some EQ's in Norway lately. At locations which hasn't had them for centuries...

BTW: take a look at this wave-graph from Svalbard: just now while writing this there was strange curves; which always comes each 12th hour...
Press the "Previous day" button on the page to compare...
edit on 4-1-2011 by nakiel because: time

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

Earthquakes are uncommon (3.0>) here, the ones we have had only felt like a truck sitting outside with its engine running.

You people need to understand that we are not trying to blow a small quake out of proportion, just the very fact that we have had two so close together in the UK that were actually felt, to us it's exciting stuff. The one a couple of weeks back was only 20 or so miles from me (epicentre), it may have only been a 3.6, but it's the first earthquake I have ever felt, and I'm 30.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Can someone please tell me what this is?
54°10'37.74"N
1°46'4.84"W
I know it seems off topic and i havent time to go into it all but..........

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
Earthquakes are uncommon (3.0>) here, the ones we have had only felt like a truck sitting outside with its engine running.

You people need to understand that we are not trying to blow a small quake out of proportion, just the very fact that we have had two so close together in the UK that were actually felt, to us it's exciting stuff. The one a couple of weeks back was only 20 or so miles from me (epicentre), it may have only been a 3.6, but it's the first earthquake I have ever felt, and I'm 30.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting you're all soft or anything

...but you hit it in the first line: small quakes are like a truck sitting outside idling. That's he type of thing that just blends into background noise, isn't it?

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

Yes and no, now I know what it was, I know there was a difference, and next time (if), I reckon I will be able to tell.

If you read the news reports, a couple of people who have experienced quakes before knew right away that it was a truck.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

The thing which make these quakes noteworthy is that in the UK it is most unusual to have two quakes at this magnitude within two weeks of each other.
Once a year is the norm.
www.bbc.co.uk...

It appears that the epi centre was just North West of Ripon by the way and not in the North Sea as suggested.

www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 4-1-2011 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442

Originally posted by woogleuk

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting you're all soft or anything

...but you hit it in the first line: small quakes are like a truck sitting outside idling. That's he type of thing that just blends into background noise, isn't it?

There's a difference though. It might sound like a truck sitting outside, as a description. But the two are different, and most people recognise earthquakes aren't trucks sitting outside.

Earthquakes, however small, do not blend into the background noise. Especially not in rural areas like Yorkshire. We're not talking about a huge active noisy city. Trucks aren't considered background noise here. If I heard a truck outside I'd be curious as to what a truck is doing on my street.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

+54.177150, -1.768011

better watch out for leprechauns.... it's a giant pot of gold!!

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
One of my favorite TV shows of all times as an American came from England it was called Connections anyone remember it? Anyhow ever since seeing that I liked to think like that man did, and anyway the news of earthquakes in and around England just made me think of this thread. ATS link to thread discussing the decoding of the Rendelsham binary code message I'm fairly certain that part of that message was a map coordinate I can't find where it was in the thread, but it was definitely off of England I have to wonder if there are any connections.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

As a Marylander who experienced my first "small" quake here this past summer, I can say if you are not used to them they feel very significant in a way that is preposterous to people who are used to living with them. Also the type of soil we have conducted the shocks of our relatively minor quake in a big way, sufficient to wake many people up from a sound sleep. Some of us also heard a nasty ripping noise coming form the ground yet other witnesses did not. I'm one who did. I would guess in a relatively quiet place in the UK this small quake made its presence felt. It California their quake and mine likely would barely have attracted notice.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
i Live in Scarborough this is 40 miles inbtween York (Where the report comes from) and the north sea where the epicenter is supposed to be and i felt NOTHING!!!!! complete Myth

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10
Can someone please tell me what this is?
54°10'37.74"N
1°46'4.84"W
I know it seems off topic and i havent time to go into it all but..........

Pot more road near Ripon.

Its just a junction.

Why??

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Miyamoto

1) It was not very strong
2) Wherever you feel it or not will be influenced by the land your on/if you're in a building, how its constructed, etc
3) It was felt by numerous people and recorded on numerous seismometers

Does this look like a 'myth'?

What about here, does this one look like a myth?

Just because you happend to not feel it does not make it a 'myth', that's just plain ignorant.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Seems the more the crust is agitated from megnetics the more of these strange occurences will happen.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Miyamoto

The epicentre was 10 miles west of Ripon, Yorkshire, well inland. It was reported on all news channels, it was felt by members of ATS, it was no myth. Go do your homework before posting false accusations and calling people liars.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Back when they were building the Manchester City stadium a few years ago. There were quite a few a substantial ground shakes a day. Some so strong that the office ceiling tiles would rise and drop quickly. We were about a mile and a half away and although not an earth quake they can unsettle you if you don't know what they are.

scarey times ahead.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join