It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain just had an Earthquake

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

The RSOE EDIS disaster site is showing 2 earthquakes in West Yorkshire...Belle Isle and Ripon, within five minutes of each other.

Here's the link, scroll down to the earthquakes section.

RSOE EDIS

This is a computer generated report and has not been verified by a seismologist.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I'm assuming that some people didn't feel the quake due to the vibration being perhaps at a frequency where it will miss some areas? (if that makes sense)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Didn't feel this one, but I felt the Cumbrian one a couple of weeks back, well, I'm only 20-30 miles from the epicentre of that one. Never felt one before, I thought it was a big truck sitting outside.

Now, I'm one of the ones who normally says, "there isn't more earthquakes, it's just being reported more, don't panic".

Now I'm starting to question........

OK, on a global scale, these are very small, I think the biggest fault line we have runs down the irish sea, and it's tiny compared to most, so whats going on?

Perhaps it's just a mere coincidence, perhaps one sets off another, all I know is, 2 earthquakes of this size in the UK so close together is unusual (in my 30 years on this blue and green ball anyway), I know there was that real big one in Carlisle in the 70's, but I was born until 80, so it never happened, lol.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

Originally posted by TedHodgson
I was on the toilet at the time...It was VERY concerning :3

And you're sure this WAS an earthquake....

Yeah, this sounds like a number 2 on the Richter scale...

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
im in sunderland didnt feel anything.. its a bit weird lets see what happens in the up and comming weeks and months. got a feeling 2011 is gonna be weird year then again i could just have wind

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Im in hull and didnt Feel a thing. Seen it on the news now though

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by adnil
reply to post by woodwytch

The RSOE EDIS disaster site is showing 2 earthquakes in West Yorkshire...Belle Isle and Ripon, within five minutes of each other.

Here's the link, scroll down to the earthquakes section.

RSOE EDIS

This is a computer generated report and has not been verified by a seismologist.

Now that is unusual but it would explain why it was felt further inland and not on the inner-edge of the moors ... but then that would mean that the 3.7 in the North Sea must be a 3rd (separate) quake ... and all 3 were the same mag !!!

I'm pretty sure that's not normal is it ?

Woody

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I didnt feel anything here, im in the north east about 2 mile inland of the Redcar coast. I didnt feel the cumbrian one we had recently either, but the one that hit a year or two ago i definately felt, the whole house shook.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
It says 10km west of Ripon, so that would put it about Grantley, well inland! So your saying there was another?

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Catch_a_Fire
I didnt feel anything here, im in the north east about 2 mile inland of the Redcar coast. I didnt feel the cumbrian one we had recently either, but the one that hit a year or two ago i definately felt, the whole house shook.

Yes I felt that one ... I think it was a 4.6 or something in that region ... felt like someone had kicked the back of the sofa ... and I felt very strange for about half hour after that (bit like my body fluids were rippling if that makes any sense)
never felt anything so bizarre before.

Woody

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
A little off topic but could be connected, over the past few month ive been hearing what i can only explain is a rumbling sound that you can sort of feel. Its not constant and it doesnt sound close, ive mistook it for thunder a few times, even thought about recording it but its not something you could time and by the time i'd of hit the record button the noise would of finished as it only lasts for a second or two.

Is anybody else hearing anything similar.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Ok not only is it odd the UK is getting small but noticeable earthquakes recently, it's even weirder when you read the links below!

HERE

LINK

Something doesn't feel right here!

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Is it just me or is this getting a little more media coverage than usual. Sky news are giving it a whole 3 minutes
, the recent cumbrian one was barely glanced over.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Just been looking at the fault map for Britain, theres quite a lot of old, small ones all over the shop, would one going off cause another to slip?

www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk...

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
There was a 2.6 earthquake in New Hampshire, USA today. Unusual. Something is going on. PEACE.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

I suppose there would always be that chance, every action has an opposite reaction. You have to wonder if stress is being relieved in one area is it building in another, Puterman and co. will know this one.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

In regards to this info posted on the OP please note the emphasis is mine:

Location 53.767°N, 1.508°W
Depth 10 km (6.2 miles) set by location program
Region ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
Distances NEAR Leeds, England, UK
45 km (30 miles) N of Sheffield, England, UK
55 km (35 miles) ENE of Manchester, England, UK
270 km (165 miles) NNW of LONDON, United Kingdom ...

...and I'm sure I don't know how this type of data is normally expressed, but I find the phrase regarding the Depth-- 'set by location program' -- rather odd. It would make more sense to say 'detected by location program.' That is, unless it was SET by some sort of location program. Is the wording they use next to depth commonplace?

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by adnil

I have 3, British Geological Survey
MELTON MOWBRAY,LEICS
January 03, 2011
Time: 12:37:20.8
Lat./Lon.: 52.729 -0.988
National Grid: 468.3 km E, 315.1 km N
Depth: 24.9
Magnitude: 1.2

and
RIPON,NORTH YORKSHIRE
January 03, 2011
Time: 21:03:09.4
Lat./Lon.: 54.169 -1.652
National Grid: 422.7 km E, 474.9 km N
Depth: 6.4
Magnitude: 3.6

RIPON,NORTH YORKSHIRE
January 03, 2011
Time: 21:03:09.0
Lat./Lon.: 54.181 -1.633
National Grid: 423.9 km E, 476.2 km N
Depth: 11.0
Magnitude: 3.7

Strangly Sky news are still going on about it this morning.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
I'm on the West Yorkshire/East Lancashire border and felt nothing.

3.7 sounds small. I remember the 'big' one the other year, that was a 5.7 and felt all across England and parts of Scotland.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Here's a funny picture from when we had the big earthquake the other year

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join