It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain just had an Earthquake

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442

How do you people even notice a M3.6? Serious question, that. Do you have a lot of things hanging loosely on the walls or live in very tall buildings something? I 'm on the 3rd floor here, and I never really notice them unless they're M4.3 or so.

Because we are more attentive and less dumbed down than your average bear.

We get about 250 quakes in the UK a year, however on average only 30 are large enough to be felt.

Either a) or b) is true, which one? You decide.

a) Sometimes we create our own quakes when we get bored. Such as in 1992 when a music concert called 'Madstock' caused an alleged 4.1 when the audience all began moving in unison to their famous tune 'One Step Beyond'.

b) I've also heard tell that if all the fat people in America were in Cornwall and jumped at the same time the UK would capsize.
edit on 4-1-2011 by spookfish because: forgot to label a and b

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by spookfish

Originally posted by vox2442

How do you people even notice a M3.6? Serious question, that. Do you have a lot of things hanging loosely on the walls or live in very tall buildings something? I 'm on the 3rd floor here, and I never really notice them unless they're M4.3 or so.

Because we are more attentive and less dumbed down than your average bear.

We get about 250 quakes in the UK a year, however on average only 30 are large enough to be felt.

Either a) or b) is true, which one? You decide.

a) Sometimes we create our own quakes when we get bored. Such as in 1992 when a music concert called 'Madstock' caused an alleged 4.1 when the audience all began moving in unison to their famous tune 'One Step Beyond'.

b) I've also heard tell that if all the fat people in America were in Cornwall and jumped at the same time the UK would capsize.
edit on 4-1-2011 by spookfish because: forgot to label a and b

Damn you!! G&T out my nose!

I shall watch out for a quake at this years Sonisphere in Knebworth! lmao...

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Would some people have felt it and some not depending on the 'foundations' of their homes? I guess also the noise levels of their homes too... Ours is pandemonium and nusic or laughter during the day... a silence only falls on us after middnight ... no chance of anything making us stop and listen!

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by spookfish

loffle

Did the madness thing really happen? I actually could picture it, one step beyonds a funky song that gets ye moving, in fact most of Madness's stuff gets the feet shuffling!

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I did not feel anything here in Dorset.
Never heard of earth quakes in england before but first for everything lol and anything is possible

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by greentree89

oh theres loads every day, LOTS of tiny old fault lines underneath us, thing is they are all

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Yeah a bunch of mates on facebook felt a tremor, more up north i think, though nothing felt down here in northampton..

Yep a lotta earthquakes recently, though i guess its mean to be pretty common anyway

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I never knew that there were so many ATS members from yorkshire! Must be something in the water..............

Anyways didn't feel it here in Doncaster, it was only small nothing to worry about. Pit houses are built tough anyway!

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Oh if this only happend to John Cleese what laughs we couldve had. You brits are so funny.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Interestingly enough I was just doing some research on the increased earthquake activity. They are claiming in a artile on USGS that there isn't an increase just more media coverage and more recording equipment being used around the world.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

The interesting thing is that this article was original posted back in Oct 27, 2009 and they haven't said much about it yet. They always say to look at the charts and you will see the numbers are about the same well the funny thing is that i did look an interestingly enough the numbers are definitely up for 2010 especially in the bigger earthquakes.

I would say that there has definiately been an increase in earthquiake activity. The things that you have to remember in my opinion is that we have only been recording data since the early 1900's there is no way to look back beyond that at what happened especially on the scale of worldwide. I would say that the earth is more then likely in a cycle of increased geological activity. Maybe another Pangea phase would be interesting huh. I am not a big believer in all the "doomsday" scenario's and in fact get a bit stand offish when reading all the 2012 babble, but it is interesting and things are definitely changing. The future will definitely be interesting.
edit on 1/4/2011 by Phantom28804 because: grammatical errors

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I live 4 miles from York and felt sod all [I am quote disappointed] - although I was 30 metres from the main Edinborough / London railway line at the time.

Now the other mystery has been solved why there are so many sceptics on ATS - because there are so many Yorkshiremen - sorry it is in our genes!
4 Yorkshire Men

edit on 4-1-2011 by templar knight because: Make the link work

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
big wow theres thousands of earthquakes everyday, 3.7 and youre posting a thread about it? give me a break, wait until the 8.5's come out then start threads this is silly

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

its typical i move to the south east kent formally a lancs man and since ive moved theirs been tornado`s earthquakes loads of ufo and alien sightings all in the north of the country, what next a new volcano, thats it im heading back north, but just before i pack my back, tell me what is this facebook and twitter you speak of.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by BarmyBilly
Ok not only is it odd the UK is getting small but noticeable earthquakes recently, it's even weirder when you read the links below!

HERE

LINK

Something doesn't feel right here!

Now you point it out it was strange at the time that the Police should spend so much money in case an earthquake struck the UK when we very rarely get anything above a 5. I wonder what they aren't telling us.

I felt the latest one at Ripon near Ullswater in the Lakes and it felt like a large vehicle passing by, which I would notice the house being isolated. Not as bad as the earlier one in Cumbria which was loud and felt like an explosion or a lot of snow sliding off the roof.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Yep it sure did happen, and it caused near by high rise tower blocks to sway significantly. The UK version of USGS at first were rather stumped to the point that I believe it was initially announced as a natural quake. They had red faces when they eventually admitted it had been the gig.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Explanation:

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Catch_a_Fire

Yes, during the summer l heard this rumble, lt lasted for about 5mins. At first l thought lt was a plane , lt wasnt, then l thought thunder but it couldnt have been , lt was a hot sunny day, no clouds lt was weird. My neighbours heard lt too we were all sitting in the garden. The other thing l find a bit disconcerting is in the summer we had earthquake drills paid for mostly by the EU, now we are experiencing these quakes, call me a cynic but------- Peace starchild.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Didn't they just have a huge, millions of quids worth of, earthquake preparedness operations going on over there. Couple months ago maybe? Simulations for first responders and such? Just adds to the conspiracy angle doesn't it?

****Sorry starchild!!! missed your post somehow
...great minds eh?****
edit on 4-1-2011 by mutantgenius because: someone already posted it....

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
About 20 years ago I was upstairs in the bedroom when everything began to tremble and rattle, lasting about 20 seconds. I called downstairs to my then husband if he had felt anything to which he said no - and he was doing some intricate work on a drawing board. A few hours later I discovered it had been an earthquake. Just goes to show how more noticeable it was upstairs.

And I'm sorry if you come from an area that has big ones and can't see what all the fuss is about. May I suggest you find a thread more interesting to read.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobra.EXE

We won't have them that high, hopefully, your missing the point......the UK rarely has noticable quakes, it rarely has anything 3.0>

And now there has been two of a similar magnitude quite close to each other, it's about as exciting as earthquakes get for us Brits, if you want a more exciting thread, go find one on knitting, in fact, go on, toddle off and make one yourself, add some cross stiching in there to really get peoples blood pumping.

I'm curious about the large earthquake drills our emergency services have been having, I wonder if these smaller quakes are waking a sleeing beast and they know about it.............

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join