It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Children Spoon Bending - The Real Thing?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I don't care what any of you say.

A few years ago I saw some woman on youtube explain how to do it, and a few weeks later was washing dishes and scrubbing away at a spoon when I realized I had just been rubbing it and 'not focusing on bending it' and instantly just started twisting it like it was stiff, hard, warm rubber. That doesn't sound right, but it felt awesome. It makes me feel good when I think about it.

I still have the spoon and it's got a perfect, tiny double spiral in the middle of it that I know I did with no more than four fingers, a thumb, and barely any effort.

It's amazing how smart people think they are after digesting others' stupid opinions...
edit on 30-12-2010 by alaskan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
debunked !!!

here's the youtube video tutorial of how the
illusion is done.

Nope. Not debunked because showing how it COULD have been done is not the same as proving that it WAS done that way. Especially given the recorded history of young children who claimed to be able to bend spoons (examine the background to the subject).

Any conjurer can replicate spoon bending. So what? Your demonstration video proves nothing. The only way of proving fakery would be to ask the children to open the palm of the hand that had held the spoon before they started to bend the spoon. Until this is done, the demonstration has not been proved to be fakery.

You need to understand the difference between scientific examination and sleight-of-hand. Replicating a phenomenon by artificially reproducing it does not constitute scientific proof that the phenomenon is unreal. Simply showing how something could have been done does not amount to scientific proof that it WAS done that way. Of course that will be enough for those who are unscientific enough to start with disbelieving dispositions. But to those of us who believe in strict scientific protocols and higher standards of proof, it is necessary to prove as well as a conjuring trick really was used. It is not enough to demonstrate that it could have been used, WHICH IS ALL YOUR DEMONSTRATION VIDEO PROVES.

It is the favourite tactic of the debunker to use such conjuring tricks as though they debunked the alleged paranormal phenomenon. Of course, it is obvious to all except those with sloppy thinking that they do no such thing. All they do is to simulate it.

edit on 30-12-2010 by micpsi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by B.Morrison

This is a really enjoyable video, do you have the second part?
this one ends just where Geller has earned his money from big oil by telling them where to drill. I remember hearing about this at Uni in the 80's in Geology class, it made us all wonder why we bothered learning about 'rock science' when Uri could pass his hands over a map and find the oil that way

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
First link from OP - third subject: female.

You can see her drop a fake part of a spoon I think.

I call hoax, when I see a spoon twist into a pretzel instead of "bending" then dropping to the table, I'll start to believe.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by micpsi
Nope. Not debunked because showing how it COULD have been done is not the same as proving that it WAS done that way. Especially given the recorded history of young children who claimed to be able to bend spoons (examine the background to the subject).

yes, DEBUNKED !!!

Here's a screen grab of the video posted
at the 40 sec mark. You can clearly see
some kid has left the cut off handle part
of the their trick spoon lying on the table in
the background.

But it stands to reason some here will defend
this type of stuff til death when it's clearly
a hoax.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d274cbd1ef2f.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
and here's more evidence they are hoaxing.
This girl is holding up the 2 different parts
of the spoon in the background.

The straight handle part is in her right hand.
The already bent spoon is in her left hand.
She holds both of them up at the same time
at the 1:25 mark.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a7b4b3fd5737.jpg[/atsimg]

totally BUSTED and DEBUNKED !!!!

edit on 12/30/2010 by boondock-saint because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by myster0
You will need:
2 Spoons

Step 1: remove the handle from one of the spoons (vigorous bending will do this).
Step 2: bend the second spoon to an appealing angle.

Hold the bent spoon in your hand, with the bowl hanging down, and the handle concealed from your as yet thoroughly unimpressed audience.
The Trick: Balance the precut spoon handle on top of the bent spoon's neck, pinched between your thumb and forefinger; slowly let it tip, and fall down your cuff.

Bonus Points: Don't grin like an idiot, or draw attention to your cuffs.

This is exactly what they are doing.

look at the girl in the first video at about 0:52.. you can quite clearly see her holding the other part of the spoon in her hand.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
mods:
I make a suggestion to move this
thread to the hoax bin. thanks

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
People... LOL

Did any of you read the title or the beginning of the video? "Toyota Municipal Museum of Art". Magic and illusions are an art form. Being a magician or illusionist is like being an artist. They were teaching children how to do the spoon bending magic trick at an art museum. I think the museum even has a "Magic Room", like a few other art museums do. A few seconds of research should reveal that the Toyota Municipal Museum of Art has a magic section.

Suggesting this is real makes it a hoax. However, it was never meant to be suggested as real in the video. Someone just took it out of context.

With that said... you can clearly see that all the "spoon benders" are hiding the other half of the spoon in their hand and placing it on their lap after they drop the bent spoon. Also, as pointed out, the girl in the back is holding up two pieces of the spoon to verify it.

Topics like this make me laugh.

edit on 30-12-2010 by gift0fpr0phecy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
There are certainly ways to hoax a spoon bending, but that doesn't mean they're all hoaxed. Unlike UFO sightings and photos, however, you can try this one yourself. Here's an old article by Jack Houck on how to do it. The trick is to do it with plastic spoons. Those are a bit harder to fake.

SPOON BENDING PARTY

The funny thing I've always heard about these parties is that you would think that bending cutlery would be a mind-blowing, life changing experience. But what usually happens is that people are amazed for a short time, then are mildly amused, then get bored with it, like it happens everyday and is not a mystery confounding contemporary physics. That's the most interesting thing to me.

Anyway. Give it a try. You might be pleasantly surprised.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by gift0fpr0phecy

Thank you! Your entire post is precisely what I was going to say.

If it was called, "Spoon bending with the mind", or something similar, then we might have to call it a hoax. It is clearly a magic trick.

reply to post by boondock-saint

It is not a hoax since all the they did was claim it was "Spoon Bending". Plus, if placed in the hoax bin, less people are likely to see the videos and this thread. I thought it was fun to try and figure out what they were doing.

edit on 30-12-2010 by Unlimitedpossibilities because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
The Chinese would have attacked us by now if they were bending spoons in 2005. I think its fake.. though contrary to some, I don't think its CGI, I think its a special made spoon with softer metal joining the spoon and shaft, so that the heat from their fingers softens it to be able to bend. like clay.

after re watching.. I think the video of the magic trick is correct. you see they all put the hand that was holding it quickly into their lap to put the fake handle down, then show you the bent spoon. haha you tricksters
edit on 30-12-2010 by Myendica because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Yes,

Bending spoons is possible. You have to realize that the spoon is not a separate thing, it is part of you. It is not the spoon that bends, it is you that bends.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Isn't it funny how people that allegedly have magical mental powers only seem to use it for cheap parlor tricks that any magician could do? I find it amazing that in modern times, otherwise intelligent people think that someone is actually capable of "bending spoons with their minds".

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Notice how every kid puts there hand under the desk (same hand they bent the spoon in)

This is 100% fake.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
None of you are doing anything but talking out of your asses.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
They are just practicing a magic trick, I lol at the people who are saying that is CGI, too much trouble to through for something so simple.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Magnum007
If you notice, they all seem to have to put their hands on their laps as if trying to conceal something... There is 1 boy who doesn't do that and he looks like he is palming something...

Sorry OP, this is nothing but a really good magic trick...

Magnum

Exactly, all you have to do is stop the video at each one right after and they put their hands in their lap. The boy could have successfully done the trick by letting the straight spoon fall down his sleeve. Notice how he doesn't move that arm as rapidly?

They all grab the spoon with the OPPOSITE hand.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer
Isn't it funny how people that allegedly have magical mental powers only seem to use it for cheap parlor tricks that any magician could do?

How do you know? If I had some magical mental powers, I'd do my best to keep it a secret.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
This kid gets an A+ for attempt and realism but an F for results

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join