It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Children Spoon Bending - The Real Thing?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   
I recently came across two videos on YouTube that show Chinese school children supposedly bending spoons with their minds. The children's reactions seem so genuine and their behavior looks natural. Is spoon bending possible? I've heard of people like Uri Geller bending spoons, but he has his doubters. These video's are different though. They seem authentic. Take a look and comment.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

edit on 30-12-2010 by Values_Truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   
If those videos are real, they are pretty amazing.

cheers

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   

embedding for this video has been
disabled by utube.

and it's faked

notice how in every single case,
the child is holding the spoon
pinched between the fingers
exactly on the curve of the spoon.
Their fingers and fist are hiding the
part of the spoon already bent.

the other part of the spoon that
seems to be bending is added cgi effect.
You can tell it's cgi cuz of the different
shadowing between the 2 different ends
of the spoon. 1 end light, 1 dark.

Notice in every single case, the spoon bends
TOWARD the closed hand.
Make the spoon bend in the other direction
and we'll take another look.

It's a hoax.

In the Matrix, they held the spoon
on the end to show the actual bend.
These are obscure from view.
edit on 12/30/2010 by boondock-saint because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Values_Truth
I recently came across two videos on YouTube that show Chinese school children supposedly bending spoons with their minds. The children's reactions seem so genuine and their behavior looks natural. Is spoon bending possible? I've heard of people like Uri Geller bending spoons, but he has his doubters. These video's are different though. They seem authentic. Take a look and comment.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

In the first video link you've posted fast forward :52 seconds and view this girls expression. She has a look of uncertainty, and betrayel on her face. Something in her smile says i'm lying but I really don't want to.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   
You can see them apply more pressure with their fingers before the spoon begins to bend, at least I can. It appears that they are using the section of finger in between the knuckles on their fingers to bend it. Once it goes a little way the structural integrity, what's initially present anyway, is lost and it becomes easier to bend it the rest of the way with a thumb.I don't even think it's CGI. That's just my interpretation.

I'd say it's fake.
edit on 30-12-2010 by MGriff because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Theres 2 spoons (well just the handle of one and a whole other spoon) its a hoax...
can teach ppl real easy but i bet you folks could figure it out.

edit on 30-12-2010 by BlastedCaddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   
You will need:
2 Spoons

Step 1: remove the handle from one of the spoons (vigorous bending will do this).
Step 2: bend the second spoon to an appealing angle.

Hold the bent spoon in your hand, with the bowl hanging down, and the handle concealed from your as yet thoroughly unimpressed audience.
The Trick: Balance the precut spoon handle on top of the bent spoon's neck, pinched between your thumb and forefinger; slowly let it tip, and fall down your cuff.

Bonus Points: Don't grin like an idiot, or draw attention to your cuffs.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Values_Truth

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9c2bd4618d9e.jpg[/atsimg]

Yeah, it's real.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Someone try to debunk stan's spoon bend from 2006.

Google Video Link

I believe he is really moving things with his mind.

-B.M

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

embedding for this video has been
disabled by utube.

and it's faked

notice how in every single case,
the child is holding the spoon
pinched between the fingers
exactly on the curve of the spoon.
Their fingers and fist are hiding the
part of the spoon already bent.

Totally untrue. Look at the first few seconds of the video. The girl is holding a STRAIGHT spoon handle at its middle. You then see the top drooping over whilst the lower part remains vertical, proving that it is not merely slipping in her fingers. Then she drops it and the handle of the spoon is clearly bent, whereas it started as straight.

That's the other part of the spoon that
seems to be bending is added cgi effect.

No evidence for that. Pure speculation that seems highly implausible, given that dozens of children were participating in the spoon-bending exercise under the supervision of teachers. Sorry, but that suggestion is nuts.

You can tell it's cgi cuz of the different
shadowing between the 2 different ends
of the spoon. 1 end light, 1 dark.

That's no proof. The natural lighting in the room could have caused that.

Notice in every single case, the spoon bends
TOWARD the closed hand.

So what? If the spoon had - contrary to appearance - already been bent, the kid could have made the spoon slip in the other direction away from his hand.

Make the spoon bend in the other direction
and we'll take another look.

Why so? It makes no difference because your analysis is flawed.

It's a hoax.

Can we have real evidence of that, not merely what you believed even before you looked at the video?

In the Matrix, they held the spoon on the end to show the actual bend.

Irrelevant detail added to create the impression that it reinforces your argument. It doesn't.

edit on 12/30/2010 by boondock-saint because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by myster0

That does not account for what happened in the video. No one will deny that spoon bending can be made into a conjurer's trick. The point you are missing is that such tricks as the one you describe NEVER exactly simulate what happened when the school kid appeared to bend the handle of a spoon with his or her mind. Providing an explanation that does not fit what actually happened is a form of deceit typical of stage magicians who can never admit the possibility of the existence of real magic.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Values_Truth

video 1

I see the same thing the other poster did with the girl who seems to 'not play along' with the trick

but ALSO...

Watch the girl at 1:18-1:27

She is clearly holding something in her right hand AFTER she drops the spoon, there is absolutely no reason for her to be clasping her right hand like that unless she was holding something, it even appears to be visable between 1:20 and 1:21.

Furthermore she puts her right hand under & behind the table where she fumbles around as if to put something in her pocket, before raising her hand again.

That particular instance seemed like a magical illusion being performed badly.

I believe also after comparing these videos with stan's attempt that I posted above, that these videos have a lot less credibility then the chinese ones.

the very last kid is also holding something in his clasped hand and quickly hides it behind the table, it the hiding the operative hand which is the dead give away, boondock may have had a crazy suggestion or 2 but I think he was right to call fake on this one.

One more thing - the second 'lesson' took place in an art museum, the third at a school, yet BOTH videos are tagged with the word 'art'.

The art of what? are the videos a piece of art? seems they are.

just my 2 cent.

-B.M
edit on 30/12/10 by B.Morrison because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
If you notice, they all seem to have to put their hands on their laps as if trying to conceal something... There is 1 boy who doesn't do that and he looks like he is palming something...

Sorry OP, this is nothing but a really good magic trick...

Magnum

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Magnum007

yup and the boy who doesn't do that in the second 'lesson' moves his fingers to conceal something as well, also the girl in the second 'lesson' who has her hand facing the camera also has long sleeves & also hides her hand just like the others do.

-B.M

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
yeah it's fake, the spoon is already bent, but they have a fake handle that their moving with their thumb, to give the illusion that the spoon is bending.

you can also clearly see them hiding something in their hands after they drop the spoon, they even move their hands under the table :p
edit on 30-12-2010 by mushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
It is not that difficult people.When Uri Geller visited Greece a few years ago he appeared on a show and he did the spoon trick.At one moment he motivated the viewers to try that themselves.My little sister took a spoon and she did it.
You have to rub the spoon for a certain amount of time in the place you want to bent it.Then you put pressure to that same plave and the spoon is bending and even breaking.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
What makes me wonder is that power movement of the spoon on the first vid, with the first girl. The Spoon seems to get fired away from her at sec 19. She lets the spoon just fall, but it "flys" over the table to the right side of the picture, it just looks physical incorrect. Sure she also hides her hand after the trick, but anyway - any ideas from where this power came?

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Why do they all drop the spoon instead of simply opening their hands.
Looks like a bit of misdirection to me.
I also noticed all the kids hiding their 'bending' hand under the table - looks fishy.

Stan from the Netherlands does a much better job. Awesome.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Only try to remember the truth... There is no spoon (THE MATRIX)
China seems busy!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
debunked !!!

here's the youtube video tutorial of how the
illusion is done.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join