It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I spent 3 hours in the ER on the 15th. I just got my $11,000.00 bill in the mail.

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
An interesting archive of documents and recordings on the birth of the NHS.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

money lost?! are you serious? they simply tack it onto my #ing bill. that's why people with insurance have outrageous bills when uninsured pay little or nothing at all. WAKE UP! half this #ry is getting a free ride. if you work, you work twice as hard as you should have to. or you make half as much as you should for your time and sweat. there needs to be a catalyst that will spark some sort of all out class-war that can once and for all put an end to this nanny state and the government dependents. their day of reckoning will come soon enough my brothers.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy88
Ummmm let me think... NO. It should be FREE. I didn't decide to be born and neither did you. Healthcare should be free, food should be free, water should be free because all are essential to your life. You're just not fully awake to come to that realization buddy boy but I promise you, your kind will be gone soon. The world's tired of nonsense.

I don't think any living organism "decided" to be born, unless you believe in reincarnation and the such... if there was a choice in such a matter. You don't see wild animals crying out for free food, water, healthcare, and shelter just because they were born. In history past, if YOU had a need, YOU fulfilled it. This even applies to domesticated animals, which some might consider us to be. If you leave a dog inside for too long while you go out of town, it's going to try and find a way out. It knows it needs food and water to survive. Quit relying on others to give you stuff for free and man up before you start complaining about being entitled to something.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

WTF did you get a new kidney?
Why is it they charge so darn much?
I just got a call from the damn hospital today for my daughter when she had to go who is on medicaid and of course we never got the cards, they yanked our chains for 3 GD years before actually giving me the cards and sh** and just outright being a**wipesand I told the hospital I did not have time to get their temporary number off the website and explained at the visit she did have medicaid but that I didn't have the card yet and now they want me to freaking pay. WTH? I got the damn stuff so my kids would not have to be a frikkiing burden on my damn credit! I swear I am going to go into the office and go POSTAL on the DUMB S***heads!

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   

The simple answer is that the basic necessities of life, food, shelter, etc. are going to come BEFORE any obligation to pay off that medical bill. Can't squeeze blood from a turnip, so don't worry so much about the med bills. I'd be more concerned with how to live on $50 a month... ??? Much bigger fish to fry....

Here's hoping you've got family, friends, a good support system to get you through a tough, tough time.

I will not apply for welfare.

Why the heck not? These programs are in place to help people out in tight spots, to get back on their feet (that's their intent, anyhow). Why not USE them?

Would you deny unemployment if laid off? Same thing here. That said, you should also be eligible for food EBT.

In addition, you stated you were unable physically, to work a part time job. Have you checked into disability?

I'm assuming that when you were working, you paid your taxes. Well, these things are SOME of the reasons we pay taxes. It's like making a car payment each month for a car you never drive.

Turn the key my friend...
edit on 29-12-2010 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

link   
There are some systems that work better under a socialized system, roads and highways and other infrastructure as examples. Basic medical care is perhaps another that would work better if it was provided to all, we all need it and there are the unfortunate among us that need more than costs will bear.

I still think if medical care in the US were paid by our taxes there would still be demand for higher-cost options for the more affluent to buy - with parts of those costs receiving subsidies that others would receive. And there would be need for elective surgery as well.

The US needs to eliminate the insurance company middlemen from the cost of healthcare to its residents.
edit on 29-12-2010 by Erongaricuaro because: clarification

link   

Originally posted by Estharik

Ummmm let me think... NO. It should be FREE. I didn't decide to be born and neither did you. Healthcare should be free, food should be free, water should be free because all are essential to your life. You're just not fully awake to come to that realization buddy boy but I promise you, your kind will be gone soon. The world's tired of nonsense.

I don't think any living organism "decided" to be born, unless you believe in reincarnation and the such... if there was a choice in such a matter. You don't see wild animals crying out for free food, water, healthcare, and shelter just because they were born. In history past, if YOU had a need, YOU fulfilled it. This even applies to domesticated animals, which some might consider us to be. If you leave a dog inside for too long while you go out of town, it's going to try and find a way out. It knows it needs food and water to survive. Quit relying on others to give you stuff for free and man up before you start complaining about being entitled to something.

Wild animals don't have to, because the enclosure of the commons hasn't happened to them. Well, it has, to an extent (wildlife has lost a lot of their habitat) I suppose, but they don't have to stress about having enough greenbacks or an insurance group and id number to have good health. Nope. They just have to stay away from us and our contaminants, if they can.

A right, or a privilege? Those who look at the collective whole see it as a right, those who look at individual pocketbooks see it as a privilege.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Thanks for the link. Makes for some interesting reading and listening.

Oh, and no sickles and hammers in sight as well!

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by LarryLove
reply to post by blupblup

Thanks for the link. Makes for some interesting reading and listening.

Oh, and no sickles and hammers in sight as well!

LOL!

You're most welcome.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by pisces77

Wild animals don't have to, because the enclosure of the commons hasn't happened to them. Well, it has, to an extent (wildlife has lost a lot of their habitat) I suppose, but they don't have to stress about having enough greenbacks or an insurance group and id number to have good health. Nope. They just have to stay away from us and our contaminants, if they can.

A right, or a privilege? Those who look at the collective whole see it as a right, those who look at individual pocketbooks see it as a privilege.

Right on, Pisces77, and further I would add: if we HAD The actual freedom to go out and supply all of those things for ourselves WE WOULD, we cannot hunt without having a damn gun license, a hunting license and what ever else we would need to go out and hunt(I am not a hunter so I don't know all the rules, however I know they have to get gun and hunting permits/licenses and they ARE NOT CHEAP) ; We have nowhere to live and build our own homes because it is all owned by corporate and Government A$$HOLES who want well over what anybody can afford, well at least cost more than 95% of the world can afford; we cannot grow our own food without our own land to, you gotta have permits to fish, you can't even grab food that grows out in the woods because you'd probably be arrested for theft because all the woods belong to someone, what else? Hmmm...I'm sure there's a lot more, too. So what do you say now, smart guy, estharik?
edit on 29-12-2010 by ldyserenity because: spelling

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   

I still think if medical care in the US were paid by our taxes there would still be demand for higher-cost options for the more affluent to buy - with parts of those costs receiving subsidies that other have. And there would be need for elective surgery as well.

The US needs to eliminate the insurance company middlemen from the cost of healthcare to its residents.

There's no doubt that medical care is in need of basic socialization, with optional and premium medical services then being covered either out of pocket, or with supplemental insurance.

The problem is, how to do so, when the current system is so entrenched. It's not as easy as it sounds. Instant socialization would force many insurance carriers to go under, leaving unpaid debts and benefits, laid off workers, etc. and only compounding the problem.

Obamacare is no solution either, neither is unconstitutionally forcing someone to pay for medical insurance with a private company. But, a solution IS needed.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
so, ladies and gentlemen, the next time you hear a doctor say he became a doctor because he wanted to help people, do us all a favor and spit in their face followed by a backhand.

if you're going to make a living off of dying people, do it honestly and say it pays well. doctors should stop making themselves look like saints.

some are going to say," well, you came to them," of course i did, but i don't charge them every penny they're worth when they come into my shop.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by pisces77

No sir, they do not just have to "stay away" .... To survive you actually have to provide for YOURSELF in those circumstances.

I never said anything about a privilege. Rights and privileges are you completely different things.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Buy some land, maybe make some traps? Don't come at me with attacks sir. Usually, I'll give you a smart answer instead of an intelligent one.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Sounds like you have or had a dreaded kidney stone....if so the money is pittle as compared to the pain of having a kidney stone...

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Emergency Rooms seem to not mention the cost of the treatment until afterward-apparently on purpose. My niece took a fall on a weekend evening and thought she broke her hand. I took her to the ER where she got a quick doctor consult and an X-Ray. After half an hour they said it was not broken, but gave her a $2000 bill. We were shocked. That squares with of the OP of close to $4000 per hour. The ER does not talk about money until you get the treatment and you are stuck with an outrageous bill. If they had told us that it would be $2000 before she went into the little room with the doctor, she would have left and sought a more reasonable cost provider. She is like so many others that do not have insurance and do not have a regular doctor. They usually just ignore health problems and have little knowledge about how to pay for a $150 doctor visit, $350 for an X-Ray and medications out of pocket. Even simple medications like Flonase nasal spray or Advair for asthma are over $100 for a 3 week supply.

All of our Senators, Congressmen, and their staff get free GOVERNMENT RUN HEALTH CARE. They all get to pick Kaiser, Blue Shield etc. during the annual selection period. They pay about $15 co-pay for a doctor visit and $10 for prescriptions. Many pledged to repeal Government Health Care, so they should start by repealing their own free government health coverage. My tax money should not pay for a congressman's health care until we all get it too! About half of the senators and congressmen are millionaires, so they should stand on their own two feet and stop sucking up government subsidies, and pay out of pocket like their constituents.

NO MORE FREE GOVERNMENT RUN HEALTH CARE FOR SENATORS AND CONGRESSMEN, UNTIL WE GET IT TOO!

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   

...How do you have internet (assuming it's at your house?) or even the time to post on ATS when you get $50.00 a month? I'd be trying to find a job or at least make something to sell at home to make some cash.

I wouldn't downplay the 8,000 you got knocked off -- some people aren't that lucky.

Exactly, if you actually worked, maybe you would be lucky enough to be employed by someone like myself who PROVIDES healthcare for his employees.

Why dont you at least have some form or personal health insurance? And why the hell does everyone think healthcare should be free anyways? Do you have any idea how costly and time consuming it is to obtain a PhD in medicine?

Why isnt everything free? Why isnt food free? Why dont you work for free? Because we dont live in a communist state. I had a similar ER experience, and guess what? My bill was over $11,000 and I paid $300. My insurance paid the rest. Thats what insurance is for.

I have family who work in the medical profession and Ive asked why what seems like simple procedures cost so much.
The answer: " Just like in other professions, what seems like a simple test, may actually have more to it than you think. You have to take into consideration the expensive high tech equipment we have to purchase, then maintain on a routine basis which is costly. We have over head costs of course, such as hazardous waste disposal (needles etc) which is outrageously expensive. Then of course, we have people who come in and have a baby, and rack up a $50,000 hospital bill, then skip out on it, or provide false information (immigrants). Of course, all of these unpaid debts are then divided and passed back on to the people who ACTUALLY DO pay their bills, which unfortunately is a dwindling number of patients. Unlike most places, in the U.S. it is illegal to turn away someone who is need of medical assistance, whether they can pay their bill or not. In the end, everyone always complains about how much it costs AFTER we treat them or save their life."

In the end it comes down to how bad you want to be treated by competent, clean and professional doctors and facilities. You get what you pay for in life.

If you want to whine and complain about paying for something, why dont you just go down to the free clinic and wait 16 hours next to some bum who smells like feces, only to be treated by some shady guy who probably bought his degree online.

It has nothing to do with compassion. It has everything to do with excepting responsibilities.
edit on 29-12-2010 by WhiteDevil013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
My cousin got robbed a few months ago at gun point. He faught with the guy and was shot 3 times. He is unemployed with no insurance. He ended up in ICU for a few weeks. His bill came out to $200,000. He don't have a penny to his name.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   

I'm not sure what state you live in, but all states offer a state medicaid benefits program, if you apply you will be approved (if you are indeed only making 50 bucks per month). Once you receive your medical card they WILL go back and cover all charges 90 days prior to your application.

The state WILL pay this bill for you.

I know because I have been down a very similar road and freaked out just as bad. PM me if you need any help and I will direct you to the right local office. (Here in WA you can do it online).

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   

During the housing price crash, house prices bumped up during the government housing cost subsidy. The price of college goes up regularly. Government subsidies of college go up regularly. The price of health care goes up regularly. Government subsidies of health care go up regularly. Coincidence? No.

Without government subsidies, medical costs will go nowhere but down just like would happen with all the other heavy-handed government industry attacks. Another example is that the price of cars has gone up right along with the number of taxes levied upon them. The idea that corporations pay taxes is a joke. Corporations get their money from Joe on the street and use that money to pay their taxes... the cost of corporate taxes is reflected exactly in the price of products we all buy. Hidden taxes are very quickly destroying America and this was all totally predicable. Most free-market economists have been expecting for this depression to happen for over a decade now. It has nothing to do with Mexico or China and everything to do with the US governments converting to a criminal enterprise that takes (steals) the majority of your money away from you.

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join