It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2011

page: 269
<< 266  267  268    270  271  272 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
USGS must be having a quiet day - they just listed our recent 4.0 here on South Island

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Monday, September 19 2011 at 1:51 pm
Latitude, Longitude 43.62°S, 172.80°E
Focal Depth 12 km
Richter magnitude 4.0

10 km east of Diamond Harbour
10 km east of Lyttelton
20 km south-east of Christchurch

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
In other news, I'm so tired of Nibiru people...

Now when that ridiculous Elenin failed comet pass and does nothing, I hope they'll shut up already.

They also predict 3 days of darkness from Nibiru blocking the sun...

No tsunami warning was issued

Really CNN for an earthquake near Kathmandu? You don't say!

indeed. Maybe they were expecting a tsunami of rocks going down the mountain...

edit on 18-9-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
In other news, I'm so tired of Nibiru people...

Now when that ridiculous Elenin failed comet pass and does nothing, I hope they'll shut up already.

They also predict 3 days of darkness from Nibiru blocking the sun...

No tsunami warning was issued

Really CNN for an earthquake near Kathmandu? You don't say!

indeed. Maybe they were expecting a tsunami of rocks going down the mountain...

edit on 18-9-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

I don't know,it's dark now.
So it must be true!
BTW: It's night time here and comet elenin went "poof" and is gone.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
We just copped another largish one today here in Canterbury, NZ - Mag 4.3

www.geonet.org.nz...

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Sep. 19, 2011 2:23 AM ET

Death toll from Himalayan quake rises to 50

hosted2.ap.org/APDEFAULT/3d281c11a96b4ad082fe88aa0db04305/Article_2011-09-19-AS-India-Earthquake/id-6b52e46858984ab7856688449204fe0b

GAUHATI, India (AP) — Rescue workers used shovels and their bare hands to pull bodies from the debris of collapsed buildings Monday, as the death toll from an earthquake that hit northeast India, Nepal and Tibet rose to 50.

At least 25 people died in the northeastern Indian state of Sikkim after the 6.9 magnitude quake hit the region Sunday evening, police said.

Paramilitary soldiers had pulled out 18 bodies and had located seven others buried under mounds of concrete in Gangtok, Sikkim's capital, said police Chief Jasbir Singh.

Another 11 people were killed the neighboring Indian states of Bihar and West Bengal. Seven people died in Nepal and China's official Xinhua news agency reported seven deaths from Tibet.

(...)

Posted on Sunday, 09.18.11
Rescuers race to reach Himalayan quake villages
WASBIR HUSSAIN Associated Press

www.miamiherald.com/2011/09/18/2412987/strong-earthquake-hits-northeastern.html

This is an updated article with comments from government, background, etc... 9 images in a flash slideshow.
edit on 19-9-2011 by jjjtir because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
MAG 5.8 FOX ISLANDS, ALEUTIAN ISLANDS, ALASKA

2011/09/19

08:14:10 UTC

51.298 -171.752 map

32.0 kms deep

see usgs earthquake.usgs.gov...
edit on 19/9/2011 by shaneR because: typo

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Aw you know perfectly well Vitch that all they will do is transfer the nonsense to some other heavenly body and start saying that the reptilians put back the date.

At least when the comet has passed and finally broken up there will be no more talk of 'alignments' causing earthquakes.

It just is not possible for any comet or asteroid to cause gravitational disturbances on Earth that may or may not trigger earthquakes................unless of course the asteroid actually is a brown dwarf!

Hubble Finds Stars That 'Go Ballistic'

Depending on their distance from Earth, the bullet-nosed bow shocks could be 100 billion to a trillion miles wide (the equivalent of 17 to 170 solar system diameters, measured out to Neptune's orbit). The bow shocks indicate that the stars are traveling fast, more than 180,000 kilometers an hour (more than 112,000 miles an hour) with respect to the dense gas they are plowing through, which is roughly five times faster than typical young stars.

"The high-speed stars were likely kicked out of their homes, which were probably massive star clusters," Sahai said.

There are two possible ways this stellar expulsion could have happened. One way is if one star in a binary system exploded as a supernova and the partner got kicked out. Another scenario is a collision between two binary-star systems or a binary system and a third star. One or more of these stars could have picked up energy from the interaction and escaped the cluster.

Now one of those coming our way would indeed cause all sorts of nasties!

PS. Just read that ex again. Do Americans really spell ploughing plowing. Most odd.

*shakes head*

Two peoples divided by a common language!

edit on 19/9/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Connman

Hang on to that bird! Give it some bird seed and look after it. Could be valuable.

Obviously it does a better job of earthquake prediction than UK mystics!

Seriously however, watch and document. Many say animals can sense these things. Documented evident of this is always good.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
A little rumble in Virginia, but all is normal.

Magnitude
Date-Time
Monday, September 19, 2011 at 15:29:41 UTC
Monday, September 19, 2011 at 11:29:41 AM at epicenter
Depth
3.3 km (2.1 miles)
Region
VIRGINIA
Distances
12 km (8 miles) S (180°) from Louisa, VA
13 km (8 miles) SW (219°) from Mineral, VA
23 km (14 miles) NE (38°) from Columbia, VA
28 km (18 miles) E (91°) from Lake Monticello, VA
63 km (39 miles) NW (312°) from Richmond, VA
141 km (87 miles) SW (218°) from Washington, DC
Location Uncertainty
horizontal +/- 0.4 km (0.2 miles); depth +/- 1 km (0.6 miles)
Parameters
NST= 14, Nph= 22, Dmin=2 km, Rmss=0.05 sec, Gp= 94°,
M-type=duration magnitude (Md), Version=A
Source
Southeast U.S. Seismic Network
Event ID
se091911b

Be Well.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

I don't know, but it seems that some in academia are at least looking at the possibility of a connection between celestial objects and earthquakes:

I here demonstrate empirically my georesonator concept in which tidally induced magnification of Earth masses' resonance causes seismicity. To that end, I show that all strong (~M6+) earthquakes of 2010 occurred during the Earth's long (t > 3 day) astronomical alignments within our solar system. I then show that the same holds true for all very strong (~M8+) earthquakes of the decade of 2000's. Finally, the strongest (M8.6+) earthquakes of the past century are shown to have occurred during the Earth's multiple long alignments, whereas half of the high-strongest (M9+) ones occurred during Full Moon. I used the comet C/2010 X1 (Elenin), as it has been adding to robustness in terms of very strong seismicity since 2007 (in terms of strongest seismicity: since 1965). The Elenin will continue intensifying the Earth's very strong seismicity until August-October, 2011. Approximate forecast of earthquakes based on my discoveries is feasible. This demonstration proves my hyperresonator concept, arrived at earlier as a mathematical-physical solution to the most general extension of the georesonator concept possible.

and

It is shown that, according to the criteria used by M. Omerbashich (arXiv:1104.2036v4 [physics.gen-ph]), during 2010 the Earth was aligned with at least one pair of planets some 98.6% of the time. This firmly supports Omerbashich's claim that 2010 strongest earthquakes occurred during such astronomical alignments. On this basis, we argue that seismicity is, generally, a phenomenon of astrological origin.

edit on 19-9-2011 by jadedANDcynical because: Formatting fix

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

Th' moment I saw th' moniker 'o th' charlatan Mensur Omerbashich I be a-feared all interest in th' topic drained away. By th' way it be speak like a scurvy pirate day so get on wit' it now all 'o ye.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Just to add, any scientist who can seriously put ahead a theory that Comet Elenin alignin' wit' anythin' caused 'n earthquake be laughed out 'o th' Halls 'o Science

The Elenin will continue intensifying the Earth's very strong seismicity until August-October, 2011

I don't deny that some planetary alignments MAY have an effect but not comets 'n other such bodies.

Actually I wonder how that scurvy dog managed to get th' document past th' editors at Cornell University. Maybe he has unfettered access 'n they be not aware their jolly moniker be bein' given to such rubbish.

ETA: No reflection on ye by th' way. I be not shootin' th' messenger.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Guatemala is dancing:

Magnitude
Date-Time
Monday, September 19, 2011 at 18:00:01 UTC
Monday, September 19, 2011 at 12:00:01 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones
Depth
61 km (37.9 miles)
Region
GUATEMALA
Distances
41 km (25 miles) SE of GUATEMALA, Guatemala
61 km (37 miles) E of Escuintla, Guatemala
84 km (52 miles) WSW of Chiquimula, Guatemala
1103 km (685 miles) ESE of MEXICO CITY, D.F., Mexico
Location Uncertainty
horizontal +/- 24.7 km (15.3 miles); depth +/- 12.3 km (7.6 miles)
Parameters
NST= 77, Nph= 77, Dmin=885 km, Rmss=0.65 sec, Gp=148°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=6
Source
Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)
Event ID
usc0005wwr

ETA: Just followed by a larger shake.

Magnitude
Date-Time
Monday, September 19, 2011 at 18:34:00 UTC
Monday, September 19, 2011 at 12:34:00 PM at epicenter
Depth
39.4 km (24.5 miles)
Region
GUATEMALA
Distances
53 km (32 miles) SE of GUATEMALA, Guatemala
69 km (42 miles) E of Escuintla, Guatemala
74 km (45 miles) WNW of Santa Ana, El Salvador
1114 km (692 miles) ESE of MEXICO CITY, D.F., Mexico
Location Uncertainty
horizontal +/- 18.5 km (11.5 miles); depth +/- 9.5 km (5.9 miles)
Parameters
NST=226, Nph=228, Dmin=303.9 km, Rmss=1.21 sec, Gp=122°,
M-type=regional moment magnitude (Mw), Version=5
Source
Event ID
usc0005wx9

ETA: And the dance continues:

Magnitude
Date-Time
Monday, September 19, 2011 at 19:17:54 UTC
Monday, September 19, 2011 at 01:17:54 PM at epicenter
Depth
36.9 km (22.9 miles)
Region
GUATEMALA
Distances
51 km (31 miles) SE of GUATEMALA, Guatemala
63 km (39 miles) E of Escuintla, Guatemala
77 km (47 miles) WNW of Santa Ana, El Salvador
1111 km (690 miles) ESE of MEXICO CITY, D.F., Mexico
Location Uncertainty
horizontal +/- 21.4 km (13.3 miles); depth +/- 10.4 km (6.5 miles)
Parameters
NST= 89, Nph= 89, Dmin=302.8 km, Rmss=1.2 sec, Gp=151°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=7
Source
Event ID
usc0005wyt

Be Well.
edit on 9/19/2011 by Bishop2199 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/19/2011 by Bishop2199 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Bishop2199

Yo Bishop, this is Ripley
......where in Minnesota are you from?

I am from Minny, but now am in Memphis.

Just curious.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Oh aye, I fathom th' notion that th' content o' me post be th'target o' ye derision and that ye be not meanin' ta link meself with'n said writer o' yon mentioned manuscript.

I ken much more than me words convey an' found it somewhat be-jiggered that somesuch highly contentious content be included at the aforementioned house o' learnin'

(how's my "piratese" I did it all without the help of any sort of translation system?)

Wella now, it do seem as though the notorious and slippery-of-character Mensur Omerbashich hath managed ta squeeze in a few "scholarly" works in past th' (supposedly critical) editors at Cornell.

Now, i have ta ponder th' possibility that perhaps people purposely place pedantic postulations preventing perusal of popular postings.

(man this piratey posting positively pulps me pate)
edit on 19-9-2011 by jadedANDcynical because: More shady shenanigans (publication wise) at Cornell.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by radpetey
reply to post by Bishop2199

Yo Bishop, this is Ripley
......where in Minnesota are you from?

Ripley, I am about 3 hours West of the Twin Cities.

Be Well.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

I ken ye not be on line an' most like abed, but soon's ye return from witherall ye wander (e'en in t'land o'dreams), oi'd be rightly pleased t'be told, if this time just gone that ye mention'd, ye be a-hearin' the rumblin' sounds afore the shakin' of the groun' beginned.

'Tis a matter o' great interest for all here, for there be evidence writ by learned types -- an' indeed it's e'en been noted by them seismologists, that these sounds arrive just a t' same time as what they call "P waves" do, an' afore them "S-waves" and t' shakin' that come with 'em.

T'be sure, oi have some specifics for ye. Oi be finding this new document, writ by "David P. Hill, Scientist Emeritus, U.S. Geological Survey" an' posted t' month of August this very year of our Lord wit' the name What is That Mysterious Booming Sound?, and within't says this Hill fellow (who be a Scientist, no less):

A section of the Lawson report on the great San Francisco earthquake of 1906 entitled “Sounds Connected with the Earthquake” (Lawson 1908) includes earwitness descriptions of sounds accompanying the mainshock as ranging from “a rumbling, roaring sound,” “a heavy wind,” “a rushing noise,” and “an approaching train” to “a team crossing a bridge.” A significant number of earwitness descriptions of earthquake sounds cite the sound as preceding the felt shaking from earthquake by several seconds. Indeed, on page 288 of Elementary Seismology, Richter (1958) recounts the experience of seismologist Pierre St. Amand in the recording vault at the University of Alaska, Fairbanks, during a series of earthquakes in 1947 when he noted that audible sounds coincided with the first (P-wave) arrivals while felt shaking began with the S-wave arrivals.

(Colorin' an' extra darkenin o' t' letters done by meself.)

So, as oi be thinkin' that ye an' others about 'ere moight be wanting to read it, here'tis.

All t' best to ye, and in truth from me 'eart wishin' you an' yours safe 'arbour,

Mike

(Mods: It's National Talk Like a Pirate Day. I kid ye not!)

edit on 19/9/11 by JustMike because: Ooo-arrr, tis t' typos, me lads an' lassies, tis alll-a-ways t' typos!

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

That be really interestin' Marauder Mike. Could we really be 'herin'' th' P-wave 'o earthquakes? 'n if so why only now 'n not before. After all earthquakes have be around much longer than us bunch 'o scurvy dogs so ye would think it would have be picked up before.

Be ye an Irish scurvy pirate by th' way. i reckon ye might be spellin' might as moight. ye must have sailed wit' Granuaile.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Sorry 'bout me spellin... 'tmoight be as oi 'av a cold in me head an' it pains me bad.
(I jest not. There be bad vapours in t'air, y'ken?)

But to ye question. Oi'm thinkin' that 't may be, that these P-waves p'raps not be o' themselfs what we be 'earing, but 'stead be bringin' somethin' o' energy in such a ways, that t' very groun' be ringin' from 'em. Like, much like 'ow a high note on t' fiddle c'n make a foin glass o'crystal ring sweet as a bell.

So, bein' I'm no "scientist emeritus" an' it be mere opinion o'mine, oi feel as if 'tis such a way loik "resonance" (if ye ken me meaning), as in that there report by Scientist Hill, where 'e says the groun' be loik a big woofer.

But this be t'main thing: we 'ave makin's 'ere of some science an' it be interestin'.

So, me lad and lassies an' all Goodwifes and Gents as well, this scurvy cold lays me low an' oi must abed.

Oi bid ye all goo'night.

Moik

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

I don't speak pirate
But just wanted to say I'm working on a list....people have been hearing this for a long time (I'm finding reports from the 80's) but it seems that we hear more now because of the internet (and that also means more fakes and so on).....it could be something else entirely, but it should be checked out anyway....who knows...we NEED you Puterman!!
OK...this is all the pirate I know "Shiver me timbers!!!"

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

I gunna consider ye timbers to be shivered Mam 'n I be at ye service in th' collation 'o booms 'n such whereever they occur in th' seven seas.

I reckon th' scientist chap may have a point that these be produced by th' waves from th' earthquakes 'n that seems to me to be a grand idea that he was havin'.

top topics

<< 266  267  268    270  271  272 >>

join