It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2011

page: 271
<< 268  269  270    272  273  274 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Cherryontop

OK WAIT A MINUTE! So you had to look it up?...it's not something you saw as a kid?

OH MAN, I am feeling ooold!

That saying was from the 60's, I think. I remember watching a cartoon that would say it...honestly, I initially thought it was Elmer Fudd.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by summer5

Oh no, I remember it, I just wasn't sure which cartoon.
I thought Foghorn Leghorn and wanted to give you a link.

I do love how these quakes appear, then disappear.
Give it some time, maybe it will show up again.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Cherryontop

Oh good! PHEEW...same era then. I feel better.

It will be interesting to see how things progress on this parallel. I know so many are worried about the New Madrid (as I am as well), however, I have to wonder since seeing this east to west progression of quakes on the 37 (and 36 and 38 parallel) if we may have another concern.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by summer5

Hmm. I left school at the end of the 60s. But then I AM an old codger.

USGS are driving me nuts!!! So you say, what is unusual about that? Nothing, they have just downgraded a Vanuatu quake from 6.0 to 5.8 just one day after it dropped off the 7 day list. Why? Why does it always happen like that?

neic.usgs.gov...

I should have thought about it because EMSC had it at 5.7 and never changed. Often they come up to the same or one point off the Master. When they don't and are lower than USGS the USGS one will change.

It is after midnight so International Speak Like A Pirate day is over for me me hearties.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SunflowerStar

If there's anything I can do for you I am close enough to get to Central KY in less than an hour, just say the word.

Thank you for your kind offer,
my family is in Lexington and Paris.
I moved to Indiana 2 years ago but
I go back to visit as often as possible.
I must say I miss it - no place like
home.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by summer5

I am going to assume that you remember watching (hearing) that as a kid as well?

You have assumed correctly - heard it as a kid.
I still quote it from time to time when talking to
my dog

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
The quake in Kentucky was a meth lab gone bad,I tell ya!

Funny that it appeared and disappeared again,but it was just Wildcat fan upset that they lost to the Louisville Cards!

Anyway,anyone take notice of the quakes in Guatemala and also the swarm just off shore from Puerto Rico?

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
incomming L.A bump

MAP 2.9 2011/09/20 02:27:00 35.131 -118.243 7.3 SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
edit on 19-9-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

I see that Bob. Looks like a double jolt.

This just happened

1.8 2011/09/20 02:32:19 35.126 -118.249 9.2 13 km ( 8 mi) NNW of Mojave, CA
2.9 2011/09/20 02:27:00 35.131 -118.243 7.3 14 km ( 8 mi) NNW of Mojave, CA

earthquake.usgs.gov...

ETA

They were five minutes apart, you can see the smaller signal on the quake cam, 5 mins later.

about 75 miles north of LA, on the Garlock Fault.

edit on 19-9-2011 by berkeleygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Type: Earthquake
40 minutes ago
Magnitude: 4.9
DateTime: Tuesday September 20 2011, 02:21:46 UTC
Region: Tanzania
Depth: 8.4 km

and
31 minutes ago
Magnitude: 4.8
DateTime: Tuesday September 20 2011, 02:31:07 UTC
Region: near the north coast of Papua, Indonesia
Depth: 40.7 km

and
43 minutes ago
Magnitude: 5
DateTime: Tuesday September 20 2011, 02:40:22 UTC
Region: central East Pacific Rise
Depth: 9.8 km

The equator is rocking and rolling.
edit on 19-9-2011 by Doodle19815 because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-9-2011 by Doodle19815 because: Adding info

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Canary Islands Government Puzzled By El Hierro Earthquake Swarm

The Canary Islands Government says it has commenced an in-depth geological survey of El Hierro, the smallest of the islands, in an effort to determine the source of an earthquake swarm.

The unprecedented seismic activity commenced on 19 July. In excess of 6,000 earthquakes have been recorded up to 14 September 2011. More than two dozen tremors were recorded during Wednesday (14 Sept.) alone.

The vast majority of the tremors have been recorded in the northwest of the 278.5-square-kilometre island at El Golfo, the location of a massive landslide that created a 100-metre high tsunami almost 50,000 years ago. The earth tremors have ranged between 1 and 3 magnitude, the National Geographic Institute (IGN) reported.

Maybe some of you experts here could help them out..

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Well I don't know where IrishWeatherOnline dug that article up form by that headline was published about 7 days after the swarm first began because I remember reading it. In fact I may even have a copy of it. Basically their confusion is actually rather old news, and I note that the article touts the BBC nonsense that pushed the megatsunami theory by 2 geologist who chuck rocks in a closed tank and thought that represented the Atlantic

El Hierro is only just getting in the same league as Yellowstone swarms so unless the inflation becomes significant, which at present it is not, I don't think i would be get anything in a twist about it just yet.

(Just had a search. Unfortunately I did not save it)

I also had a search on Google to see if I could find the original. Mistake!!!

Just about every doom blog, end of times blog, conspiracy site etc has the story, yet remarkably VERY few serious geology sites mention it at all. In fact the odd one or two are saying, reading between the lines, "what is all the fuss on the Internet about".

Most headlines are along the lines of
EARTHQUAKE SWARM – MEGA Tsunami Conditions Forming
MONUMENTAL EARTH CHANGES: Canary Islands Government Puzzled by the El Hierro's Unprecedented Swarm of Over 6000 Earthquakes?

Etc Can't be bother to list any more there are so many.

May I just ask why the Idiotnet is so concerned about this when there have been well over 10,000 earthquakes on the German/Czech border and very little said at all?

I will tell you why - because they cannot scare anyone with stupid tales of 100ft tsunamis wiping out the East coast of America.

Was anyone pontificating about 25,000 earthquakes a Baja California? No - same reason.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

May I just ask why the Idiotnet is so concerned about this when there have been well over 10,000 earthquakes on the German/Czech border and very little said at all?

Indeed. There was a volcano formation there or??

El Hierro is only just getting in the same league as Yellowstone swarms so unless the inflation becomes significant, which at present it is not, I don't think i would be get anything in a twist about it just yet.

Ya. Even if it were to go off... big deal...

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

There was a volcano formation there

Yes indeed. There are one or two in Germany. I agree it is not somewhere you think of as being a volcanic region, but it is.

List of volcanoes in Germany

Of course the men in white coats are having a job finding one because that strings out the research grants

Scientists looking for hidden volcano on Czech-German border

The scientists have known for a long time that magma from volcanic eruptions is closer to the surface in the Bohemia, Bavaria and Saxony triangle than anywhere in the world. It lies in the depth of a mere 30 km and exerts high pressure.

So yes there are volcanoes.

edit on 20/9/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

I gunna consider ye timbers to be shivered Mam 'n I be at ye service in th' collation 'o booms 'n such whereever they occur in th' seven seas.

Ohhhhhhhhhh PUTERMAN.....(said like the women in a James Bond movie) Am I wrong for liking your pirate talk??
Thank you for offering to help....I have been perplexed by this sound thing, as I have heard it a few times myself. I hope to get some more work done on the list today.....you're the best!

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Ooookay, I think I got the gist!!

If you're asking do we "hear" the quakes before they hit... yes if they're not local, I'd say within 10km with one exception (see below).. Otherwise we definitely hear them coming. To put it in context for my location - I am in the foothills of the Alps on the edge of the Plains with little obstruction to noise from across the Plains where the quake are occuring. The plains are gravel, if that makes a difference to the way sound is generated etc.

The rumble we hear (it's very very distinguishable from any other potential noise, sounds like nothing on earth) is very very low resonance, you can almost 'feel' it as well as hear it. It is eerie. It's strange because it's so low you feel you ought not to be able to hear it, yet it's very audible (if that makes sense) yet it's not LOUD... but all around you.

The LOUD noises, more like jets, arrive with the movement. Particularly the 7.1 (about 12km from me) which when it hit sounded like several large jumbo jets landing in the garden, and continued for a good 40 secs with the movement.

Sometimes booming will be heard with NO movement. This type of boom is different - short and sharp like an explosion. I've experienced this too, as have many I know. These are weird ones because you brace yourself but nothing comes. I've noticed these are often v. shallow and close by and small quakes (sub 2.5). This was the case the day before the 7.1 where residents near the epicentre (which is also fairly need a small Army shooting/bomb practice range) had rung the Police after hearing booming to check it was the range. It wasn't. Next day the 7.1 hit.

edit on 20-9-2011 by MoorfNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
And we continue on with the out of the way shaking.

MAP 2.1 2011/09/20 09:03:40 35.374 -83.672 4.0 14 km ( 8 mi) ENE of Robbinsville, NC
MAP 2.2 2011/09/20 02:00:52 35.382 -83.673 0.1 14 km ( 9 mi) ENE of Robbinsville, NC

Subject to vanishing.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

You stated:

The rumble we hear (it's very very distinguishable from any other potential noise, sounds like nothing on earth) is very very low resonance, you can almost 'feel' it as well as hear it. It is eerie. It's strange because it's so low you feel you ought not to be able to hear it, yet it's very audible (if that makes sense) yet it's not LOUD... but all around you.

Out of curiosity, is this sound heard directly before the quakes? Or off and on for possibly days prior?

The reason I ask is because the past 2 nights now, I have heard exactly what you described. I have seen a few videos of similar (but not exactly what I have been hearing).

Here is what I had posted on another thread:

posted on 19-9-2011 @ 01:31 AM this post I am in south western Virginia...it's 1:30 a.m. and there is this base sound vibrating through my house. I can feel and hear it. It's been going on about 20 minutes now. My cat is a bit freaked out by it as well. I went on my back stairs, I can't tell where it's coming from. It's almost like it coming from every direction. It's in the sky and the ground - if that makes sense. I can't detect which it is...but it is disturbing, and it's bothering me! Just wish I knew what the hell it was - and where it was originating from!

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I am wondering if Robin wasn't right about the sounds and them coming from the sea as if it is some sort of echo/vibration that is taking place in the sea and when we hear it it sounds as if it is in the sky and everywhere...who knows though I sure don't.

Another poster from another thread offered this link to us and I read it. It has to do with a boys dream but a very surreal dream it may be if it comes true. This 17 year old kid had no clue about the Garlock Fault until this dream. Check it out...

life-tabernacle.net...

I am sure some of you have already seen it...I haven't until a while ago. When he speaks of Japan and then Sicily being gone...I began to think of Edgar Cayce's vision of our Future.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Wonder if Utah will be down graded?? I can't keep up with USGS...

Magnitude
Date-Time
Tuesday, September 20, 2011 at 15:06:38 UTC
Tuesday, September 20, 2011 at 09:06:38 AM at epicenter
Depth
4 km (2.5 miles) (poorly constrained)
Region
UTAH
Distances
26 km (16 miles) NW (325°) from Enterprise, UT
38 km (24 miles) SE (131°) from Ursine, NV
42 km (26 miles) NE (46°) from Joseco, NV
57 km (36 miles) ENE (73°) from Caliente, NV
211 km (131 miles) NE (34°) from Las Vegas, NV
Location Uncertainty
horizontal +/- 1.1 km (0.7 miles); depth +/- 4.3 km (2.7 miles)
Parameters
Nph= 17, Dmin=39.5 km, Rmss=0.23 sec, Gp=180°,
M-type=local magnitude (ML), Version=2
Source
University of Utah Seismograph Stations
Event ID
uu09201506

top topics

<< 268  269  270    272  273  274 >>

join