It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2011

page: 270
<< 267  268  269    271  272  273 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Magnitude
Date-Time
Monday, September 19, 2011 at 21:09:30 UTC
Monday, September 19, 2011 at 04:09:30 PM at epicenter
Depth
5 km (3.1 miles)
Region
WESTERN KENTUCKY
Distances
34 km (21 miles) S of Owensboro, Kentucky
43 km (26 miles) ENE of Madisonville, Kentucky
58 km (36 miles) SSW of Tell City, Indiana
206 km (128 miles) WSW of FRANKFORT, Kentucky
Location Uncertainty
horizontal +/- 11.4 km (7.1 miles); depth +/- 3 km (1.9 miles)
Parameters
NST= 12, Nph= 12, Dmin=77.9 km, Rmss=1.02 sec, Gp= 68°,
M-type="Nuttli" surface wave magnitude (mbLg), Version=4
Source
Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)
Event ID
usc0005x22

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Avast ye mateys, here be a small quake in Kentucky.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Certainly my wife heard the sound in September 2010 before she felt it. She works night shift and I was too liquored and subsequently asleep (awoke with a jolt!). She said it sounded like a train (works near the train tracks) but somehow different.
I have heard rumbles and cracks/booms preceeding the shaking many times since then (more sober these days
) and they always create a little adrenalin rush. The rumbles seem more associated with the western quakes, whereas the cracks and booms seem to be more associated with the eastern/south eastern quakes.
Out west there be gravels, whereas east/south east there be hard rock.

That's if I have made any senseof the Pirate-ese.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Western Kentucky

Take a look at where it was located...and the depth

2.4 Western Kentucky 2011-09-19 21:09:30 37.465 -87.043 5

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Doesn't anyone read previous posts?

Kentucky already posted by me at the top of this page...

We can't upload images yet.

go to google earth and look where this quake hit... there's a big lake there, or something... fracking?

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by berkeleygal
Doesn't anyone read previous posts?

Kentucky already posted by me at the top of this page...

We can't upload images yet.

go to google earth and look where this quake hit... there's a big lake there, or something... fracking?

If you were directing that at me, I was making mention of the latitude and the depth

Yes, you posted it first, but I was making an observation that wasn't mentioned in your post

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Im in western KY and yeah theres a huge lake here and weve got a uranium enrichment plant here too . So just wondering if this was a normal shake or possibly a precursor to something else to come?

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Kentucky quake a little unsettling as
its near the Madrid and my family
lives there. Hope it was just letting
off a little steam.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Ok well it was a little farther east than i thought but still too close for my taste considering the number of quakes lately.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by summer5

sorry summer5, cranky today.. I am a fellow west virginian (transplanted to berkeley)

I didn't mention the 37 degree latitude or the depth because it is in the details I posted.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

No apology needed - its all good!

Sorry, didn't mean to double post you either. Just find it quite interesting (and disturbing) with all these quakes (in un-usual areas) on that line.

p.s. I am not far from WV..I am in VA and appear to be pretty much in the middle of the 2 quakes. Both on 37 and both fairly shallow. Some things really make ya wonder what is going on

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustMike
reply to post by MoorfNZ

I ken ye not be on line an' most like abed, but soon's ye return from witherall ye wander (e'en in t'land o'dreams), oi'd be rightly pleased t'be told, if this time just gone that ye mention'd, ye be a-hearin' the rumblin' sounds afore the shakin' of the groun' beginned.

'Tis a matter o' great interest for all here, for there be evidence writ by learned types -- an' indeed it's e'en been noted by them seismologists, that these sounds arrive just a t' same time as what they call "P waves" do, an' afore them "S-waves" and t' shakin' that come with 'em.

T'be sure, oi have some specifics for ye. Oi be finding this new document, writ by "David P. Hill, Scientist Emeritus, U.S. Geological Survey" an' posted t' month of August this very year of our Lord wit' the name What is That Mysterious Booming Sound?, and within't says this Hill fellow (who be a Scientist, no less):

A section of the Lawson report on the great San Francisco earthquake of 1906 entitled “Sounds Connected with the Earthquake” (Lawson 1908) includes earwitness descriptions of sounds accompanying the mainshock as ranging from “a rumbling, roaring sound,” “a heavy wind,” “a rushing noise,” and “an approaching train” to “a team crossing a bridge.” A significant number of earwitness descriptions of earthquake sounds cite the sound as preceding the felt shaking from earthquake by several seconds. Indeed, on page 288 of Elementary Seismology, Richter (1958) recounts the experience of seismologist Pierre St. Amand in the recording vault at the University of Alaska, Fairbanks, during a series of earthquakes in 1947 when he noted that audible sounds coincided with the first (P-wave) arrivals while felt shaking began with the S-wave arrivals.

(Colorin' an' extra darkenin o' t' letters done by meself.)

So, as oi be thinkin' that ye an' others about 'ere moight be wanting to read it, here'tis.

All t' best to ye, and in truth from me 'eart wishin' you an' yours safe 'arbour,

Mike

(Mods: It's National Talk Like a Pirate Day. I kid ye not!)

edit on 19/9/11 by JustMike because: Ooo-arrr, tis t' typos, me lads an' lassies, tis alll-a-ways t' typos!

Oi be postin' tis afore the midnit bell! Oi be so pleased a kin be studying the rattlin's afore I be born! Many a tanks to you Mister JustMike, tis made my day it 'as!
I be off now to me cabin on me ole faithful scooner the Muts Nuts!
Rainbows on ye horizon to ye all!
'Mary Read' (Jane)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
kyem.ky.gov...

Here is the history of quake epicenters in W. Kentucky.

I am surprised there have not been more in this area, as it sits so close to the Wabash seismic area.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by summer5

No apology needed - its all good!

Sorry, didn't mean to double post you either. Just find it quite interesting (and disturbing) with all these quakes (in un-usual areas) on that line.

p.s. I am not far from WV..I am in VA and appear to be pretty much in the middle of the 2 quakes. Both on 37 and both fairly shallow. Some things really make ya wonder what is going on

Really makes you wonder when the whole thing vanishes too!
Which way did it go, which way did it go?

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Here is the site for helicorders for KY. www.uky.edu...

Many of the recordings are buggered, but i found a few that are clearer than others. Like this one: www.uky.edu...

Also Paducah Airport www.uky.edu...

Some fairly interesting but low grade stuff. We did have a M5.2 in 1980 in Sharpsburg Ky, in my home county.
Here is some more information about KY and earthquakes www.uky.edu...

That quake is the one that got me interested in all this stuff. I was napping under a tree on a Sunday afternoon at a National Forest Youth Conservation Corp teen work group. (Called my mom, and she was about 11 miles from the epicenter and was in the bathtub!)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Cherryontop

Now you have me trying to remember where that came from......was it Loony Tunes?...Was it Bugs Bunny?...

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SunflowerStar

Thanks for the links in Ky,
always interested in what is
going on in my home state.
My family is in central Ky
but anything significant would
affect them. I did feel a small
quake there once but can't
remember the year.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by summer5

www.youtube.com...

Of Fox and Hounds it says here. Foghorn Leghorn I thought.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by summer5

Which way did he go George, which way did he go?
Old Looney Tunes cartoon - Hugo the Abdominable
Snowman

Well that's what the internet says

edit on 19-9-2011 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Always good to have new resources. Just got back from Lexington working this past weekend, and pulled 10hrs today on 4 hrs sleep. And what happens, I get a quake on my own geographical interest. When what I need is sleep.

If there's anything I can do for you I am close enough to get to Central KY in less than an hour, just say the word.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

How funny! I am going to assume that you remember watching (hearing) that as a kid as well?

...or do you just know the saying

new topics

top topics

<< 267  268  269    271  272  273 >>

join