It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2011

page: 265
<< 262  263  264    266  267  268 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Thanks for the info. I will give it a read. I guess I misunderstood. I was assuming the same spot on the earth was quaking for 45 minutes. I can see how it would be quite different if the waves move like sound waves and only affect one spot for a short time and moves on, bouncing around as you stated.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

thanks for that, I hadn't seen Wilber2 before.
I like the link to the list page where you can click and see individual events siesmos through SPYDER and FARM, thats what I have been looking for, something thats consistant and easy to use, Quak has a too many options available IMO so it takes longer to find what you want.
Too bad it doesn't go back further than 1990, but hey 11 years worth is a lot of work I guess.
Basically these are just interfaces aren't they? the actual siesmo graphs are always there, its just a case of getting there

Too bad Geonet can't get into the same format.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Vanuatu chiming in:

Magnitude
Date-Time
Friday, September 16, 2011 at 18:23:26 UTC
Saturday, September 17, 2011 at 05:23:26 AM at epicenter
Depth
113.1 km (70.3 miles)
Region
VANUATU
Distances
142 km (88 miles) SSE (160°) from Isangel, Vanuatu
210 km (130 miles) ENE (66°) from Tadine, Loyalty Islands, New Caledonia
364 km (226 miles) SSE (156°) from PORT-VILA, Vanuatu
1854 km (1152 miles) ENE (70°) from Brisbane, Australia
Location Uncertainty
horizontal +/- 15.6 km (9.7 miles); depth +/- 9 km (5.6 miles)
Parameters
NST=227, Nph=251, Dmin=370.7 km, Rmss=0.85 sec, Gp= 54°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=A
Source
Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)
Event ID
usc0005vta

Be Well.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

Not too long? The elections are still over a year away...

I run on geological time I think, or is it just my age? Time seems to fly by.

I am looking at the pattern of mid American quakers, no quakes. It may take a while to sort it out but I am taking each area plotted against the other to see if there is a pattern.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by MountainEnigma

I guess I misunderstood. I was assuming the same spot on the earth was quaking for 45 minutes.

And so it is. If the seismo shows it then the ground beneath it's feet is quaking. Think of it more like a jelly (sort of) with the bigger quakes. The ripples spread and go round and criss-cross etc so the whole crust of the world is in motion - but as I said so slowly that you can't feel it. (Drat can't manage and better doom that that - sorry)

I should be quite clear on that point - if it registers on the seismo the earth moved!

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
So, when is the 188 days considered over and a fail?

Magnitude 6.6 (Preliminary magnitude — update expected within 15 minutes)
Date-Time Friday, September 16, 2011 at 19:26:36 UTC
Saturday, September 17, 2011 at 05:26:36 AM at epicenter

Location 40.204°N, 143.150°E
Depth 10 km (6.2 miles) set by location program
Region OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
Distances 144 km (89 miles) ESE (103°) from Hachinohe, Honshu, Japan
180 km (112 miles) ENE (72°) from Morioka, Honshu, Japan
217 km (135 miles) ESE (108°) from Aomori, Honshu, Japan
586 km (364 miles) NNE (30°) from TOKYO, Japan

Location Uncertainty Error estimate not available
Parameters NST= 9, Nph=0, Dmin=0 km, Rmss=0 sec, Gp=162°,
M-type="moment" magnitude from initial P wave (tsuboi method) (Mi/Mwp), Version=B
Source NOAA Pacific Tsunami Warning Center

Event ID pt11259000

Source

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

Does the Ring of Fire seem a bit more active than usual with moderate quakes or is it just me?

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by phoenixlights321

It seems around average to me. Yesterday we had a few good shakers rolling around, but nothing that I consider abnormal. Puterman is the one might have a happy little graph he'd like to share
- he's good at that you know or Mr. Muzzy for that matter

Finally got phone service back late last night. Been out since hurricane Irene came through and was unable to get online at home and been way too busy at work. Work - gets in the way of everything

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

188 days from the Japan quake was yesterday, the 15th. Fiji had a 7.3

Here's the map

I made a NEW map, quick job, but I cannot upload it yet

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

"Unnatural normal." I love it!!!

Way to coin a phrase Puterman!!

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
A Swarm of Aftershocks (sorry Robin Marks I know you dont like either of those terms)

DATE LAT LON MAG DEPTH km REGION
16-SEP-2011 21:36:36 40.12 143.33 5.6 17.6 OFF EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
16-SEP-2011 21:08:05 40.22 143.05 6.2 20.2 OFF EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
16-SEP-2011 20:11:14 40.30 143.18 5.5 19.0 OFF EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
16-SEP-2011 19:39:46 40.40 142.03 5.2 10.4 NEAR EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
16-SEP-2011 19:26:42 40.29 142.73 6.6 36.3 NEAR EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN

www.iris.edu... (new toy
)

edit on 16-9-2011 by muzzy because: to add the following

A quick map off that new USGS Lastest Earthquakes Map Thingy

map

would have been quicker but I went through the process of logging into upload images at ATS only to find it closed for now

WTF do you have to log in twice to load images? ie I was already logged into the Fragile Earth forum

edit on 16-9-2011 by muzzy because: (to addsiesmograh links
)

Station: ERM - Erimo, Hokkaido Island, Japan graphs for the first available event, the 6.6
20110916_192642.0.spyder

and off Quak

BHE Channel
BNN Channel
BHZ Channel
edit on 16-9-2011 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Yes, and another 5.7 or so just hit now, will be up on USGS in a minute.

Hmm, so what's going on here. This rupture is behaving like a mainshock/aftershock sequence. A mainshock that is an aftershock, complete with its own aftershocks. Sounds like a new extension of the main fault just ruptured. Thank God it was far north and out to sea a bit- but they had to feel that 6.6 pretty good. I thought we were basically done in Japan, but guess not. This zone continues to surprise.

Although, now that I see there was also a 6.2 AFTER the 6.6, that is telling right there. Aftershocks don't usually reach that high relative to mainshocks... Hmm... Oh NOOOOO. Foreshocks. Lookout Japan.

edit on Fri Sep 16th 2011 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Thank you Muzzy. For giving me this opportunity to admit I'm wrong. I try and not let it bother me when I make a mistake because it means I've learned something. There are indeed earthquakes with main-shocks and aftershocks. Mostly, I was agreeing with the idea that since the plates, or zones, are constantly moving, in a geologic time-frame, then there was no sense in dividing up the process into past, present, aftershock.

But from observation, there was a definate main-shock to the Virginia quake followed by after-shocks. I may be wrong, but the area didn't get a pronounced "fore-shock". And if there was one, it would be hard to tease it out and attach it to the main one and make the claim it was a fore-shock.

So, I'll drop my argument concerning labels and accept that it makes it easier to describe the sequence of events when analysing earthquakes. Wow, more aftershocks in Japan.

That wasn't so bad now was it robin?

Edit. This is relavant. Trust me. At first I assumed the Sponge Bob Study was a good one. But I made a mistake. I read story which countered my accepted view and found that the study was not so sound. I made a mistake in not wieghing out both sides of the argument and relied on one source. Now I don't have to feel quilty about all that time I spent with my son watching Sponge Bob. He tired of the show before I did. I was sad when he outgrew Bikini Bottom.

So, don't accept any view, not even your own, until you account for all the facts.
And be ready to change your direction when the evidence tells you your barking up the wrong tree.

Wait, nother edit. I forgot Sponge Bob article about studies. Remember, study the studies to find out if they are credible.

www.bloomberg.com...

edit on 16-9-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

All these 188 day references - was the Baja quake 188 days before the Chile one?

Nah....

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
@ TA and Robin,
thats what makes watching earthquakes so addictive, at times I get sick of it all, but then something interesting comes along and you back into it with a vengence.

The way I see it, Swarms are about short time spans, 2hrs, 4hrs, 24hrs, even a few days, as long as they are pretty consistant without a break. Thats how I looked at the Vanuatu case and also here in NZ.

Also
6.6 = 119,786.6
6.2 = 30,089.0
5.5 = 2,681.7

6.2 's pretty big but IMO its still an aftershock of and aftershock, sort of like Christchurchs two 6.2's were a/s of the 7.1
back to the Spring Cleaning now

edit on 16-9-2011 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-9-2011 by muzzy because: bad spelling, hard to type sitting on a swing in the sun

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Isn't Fiji rather a long way from the west coast of America, or have they moved it recently?

Anyhows. This took me a long time and gave me a headache. It is big and I had a job stuffing it all in - and there is more to come yet! Well if you want more.

Excited? Sorry it is only earthquakes. Arkansas, Alabama, Colorado/Mexico, Virginia.

Don't know if ATS is working yet but this is too big anyway. I am thinking of making it all the Mid American states and have the data for Texas, and others ready.

Not a quick job because what this is is a single earthquake per day. For each area I take the list of earthquakes and work out the energy release. Then I have to manually add the total of the energy release for each individual day, and then convert that back to a magnitude. If I did not do it that way the Virginia quake would just swamp pretty much everything else. The graph has to have every day in the 365 even if there are no quakes so this is a proper time spaced representation.

I will carry on with it tomorrow if anyone is interested but I will warn you that the more areas the more difficult it will be to see.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
So PuterMan and company, here's one for the ole noggins:

Hypothetical- A massive asteroid slams into a land mass somewhere, or into the ocean. I am very curious what the seismic wave signature of that would look like.
I don't suppose there would be one of those somewhere in the imagination blocks, would there? Maybe similar to Tunguska a bit? I know that one didn't actually hit, just saying... Interesting to think about-- on a slow day...

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Just a few selected areas based on the names. Indonesia. Japan, Vanuatu, Fox. You can see that Japan is not quite back to 'normal' but Vanuatu and Fox shows blips and returns to the trend line more or less.

So yes everything is normal - no wait stop I am supposed to be dooming, um, um, um, oh.......can't think of any.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Robin Marks
How very interesting. Note these quakes. First, a small one in Arkansas. Then we get a minor New Mexico/Colorado quake, then we just had a Virginia quake.

Coincidence? Me thinks not.

OK Robin, just had to ask...why do you think not? What are you thinking?

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

What have you got up your sleeve TA. That is a bit of a strange question.

Can we have mass and impact velocity please?

top topics

<< 262  263  264    266  267  268 >>

join