It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2011

page: 263
<< 260  261  262    264  265  266 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

faculty.buffalostate.edu/bergslet/interior.html

one of the most friendly introductions.

P waves travel through cores. But S waves don't, as outer core is liquid.

The 2 shadow zones are there.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

lots of good info in this thread, someone posted a link with earthquake facts, that was so interesting. I enjoy learning and will come back to this thread from time to time.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

Stars are the blue things top left that some think are important!

Welcome to ATS and in particular to Quake Watch.

Here you will find some of the best information about earthquakes on the Internet. Why do I say that? Because the members who frequent this thread, and those who lurk and occasionally stick their heads up into the firing line on the whole produce excellent work that is based on facts.

I am not going to name them, they know who they are, and naming would only leave it open to miss one, or two or three knowing my memory these days. Where was I? Oh yes....

You will find some of the alternative geophysical theory on this thread: Geophysics which is hosted by Zenius who you will also see on this thread.

Anything of a speculative nature to do with Yellowstone / Fracking / Arkansas / Bird Deaths / Hudson Bay / Life / Death / Resurrection / the Economy / Politics / Religion (
Robin ) etc you can post on the thread hosted by Robin Marks: Robinesque Ruminations

Volcano stuff you will find on Volcano Watch and last but by no means least the giant Yellowstone thread is a BIG read all about the Park that has hit page 700.

These and more ATS links, and links to many external sites you can find in my signature block and in the signatures of others.

Always ask questions, you never know we might give you the right answer

edit on 15/9/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Olivine
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I love learning--Thank you so much for the refresher on low velocity zones. I had a sinking feeling I didn't have that concept quite right. And thank you for the star. (wonders to herself, "What are stars?"--hehe)

Back to studying,,,

"wonders to herself, "What are stars?"--hehe) "

That would be the big shiny thing in the sky sending out extra dense,
wave fronts, which micro-wave or heai up the,,

planet surface.

see i didn't mention anything about x-class flairs...,, lol

welcome.
study quick,,

what if there were Pwaves S waves and X waves,,
being inadvertently recorded,,
its Electrons,, would explain some crazy readings ,,

edit on 15-9-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

Ta very muchly for the linky poo

Added to my learning links

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Have you cross checked that with what the Chilians put out themselves?
I have a pdf somewhere of cndg data I'm sure I sent you a copy or a link to doenload it?

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

apolgies to berkelygirl then

hard to read 3 pages of overnight posts looking for one in particular that you're not sure is even there at 5am

I wish sometimes these ATS pages were a bit longer, take a break for a few hours and theres 3-4 pages of new posts, especially when theres some decent earthquake activity

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
again I can't find a post I seen 3 hours ago, someone posted a link to a siesmo in the US that showed a long trace and asking if it was the Fiji.

Well it was, SNZO LISS its hard to see it becasue its mixed in with the Kermy 6.0 but you can see SNZO BH1 channel that the 7.3 went on for 45 minutes

edit on 15-9-2011 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
And just because we like to mix it up
Induction Magnometer
I can't remember which thread tried to tie it in with quake activity before, it was a while back. I'm sure one of the regulars will remember it.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Hello again. Have been quite busy with our tectonic simulation in the lab. I gave the programmer a wrong information regarding the movement of the Pacific plate last time around so the simulation had to start all over.

When it comes to DEMETER Satellite, then I have to admit that I have been a bit lazy, but there are news here.

Nasa scientists have said they could be on the verge of a breakthrough in their efforts to forecast earthquakes.

Also some additional info from Japan's National Institute of Information and Communications Technology Ionospheric disturbances after the 2011 Tohoku earthquake.

Plus info from ntrs.nasa.gov Atmosphere-Ionosphere Response to the M9 Tohoku Earthquake Revealed by Joined Satellite and Ground Observations. Preliminary results. (PDF file)

And finally On the acoustic model of lithosphere-atmosphere-ionosphere coupling before earthquakes.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

Hi there Robin.
Yes, I do also think we soon start the round again. I hope the tectonic simulation can find a "trend", but it is a heck of a job to put in all known earthquakes. Luckily, it's the job of the programer.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Here's the link muzzy to the Los Angeles Quake cam

abclocal.go.com...

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
just had quake here Lower North Is. NZ felt like a mid to high 4 nearby or maybe a 5ish out in the South Taranaki Bight or Cook Strait.
2 second delay between the P and S wave, definite difference.

any GEE buffs able to pull up a live siesmo for SNZO or Mangatainoka?

edit: looks 5ish on Mangatainoka www.geonet.org.nz...
edit on 16-9-2011 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

and comparing to SNZO looks to be to the north www.geonet.org.nz...

but not too far north west looking at Mt Egmont www.geonet.org.nz...

I'd say between here and Ruapehu which shows a slightly longer trace www.geonet.org.nz...

edit on 16-9-2011 by muzzy because: well got that one wrong, felt like a high 4 really, were on sand so that may have something to do with it, see post below for location and magnitude from Geonet

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Roald
Also some additional info from Japan's National Institute of Information and Communications Technology Ionospheric disturbances after the 2011 Tohoku earthquake.

That link is bad, but I tracked it down:
www.terrapub.co.jp...

Something very interesting in there:

The circular or concentric structures of the large- and medium-scale waves indicate that these
ionospheric disturbances had a point source. The center of these structures, ionospheric epicenter,
is located around 37.5N of latitude and 144.0E of longitude, about 170 km far from the epicenter
to the southeast direction. As discussed previously, the atmospheric waves could be launched by
vertical displacement of the air above the sea surface. The ionospheric epicenter was closer to the
Japan trench rather than the epicenter and consistent with estimated areas of the tsunami source.

The ionospheric epicenter matched up with the point source of the tsunami? Wouldn't the point source of the tsunami also be close to the epicenter of the quake? How could the point source of the tsunami be 170 km away from the reported quake epicenter?

Maybe because the part of the fault that ruptured in such a way to cause the tsunami was 170km from the initial start of the entire fault rupture?

But all the way in the Japan Trench? That's bizarre. And pretty darn far from the reported epicenter.
edit on Fri Sep 16th 2011 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Yep, I see the quake in GEE now, showing about 400 peak microns/sec ground velocity, and a close to station (SNZO) type wave signature. That looks initially like it's within 70 miles or less from the station. Estimate: 4.4 to 4.8 or so. But might be less.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   

good call, here it is, near Mana Island, Cook Strait, to the south of me only a 4.3

Reference Number 3580231
Universal Time September 16 2011 at 5:27
NZ Standard Time Friday, September 16 2011 at 5:27 pm
Latitude, Longitude 41.13°S, 174.69°E
Focal Depth 50 km
Richter magnitude 4.3
Region Wellington
10 km west of Porirua
20 km north of Wellington

Felt widely in Wellington

www.geonet.org.nz...

Didn't show much at all on SNZO Geonet graph

Have you got a link for that TrueAmerican? it might help me understand what I should be looking for . I had loaded GEE on my laptop but couldn't figure it out, so took it off again.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Hehe, yup, that sukka is indeed about 40 km to the station. I checked. No links, sorry, USGS only reports 4.5 and above, so you won't find it there unless they peg it as a 4.5.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   

No I mean to the GEE graph you are/were looking at

or

maybe I'l just stick with the duck,

quak SNZO BH1

nice short sharp red jolt.
Geonets graphs suk

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzy

No I mean to the GEE graph you are/were looking at

Graph? Umm, GEE is a program that monitors raw data right from the seismos themselves. So there are no links, sorry. If you wanna run it all you gotta do is get it and check the GEE TIPS thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

That'll be enough to get you up and running with it...

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   

oh OK, I thought you might be able to take a screenshot for me.
Can you go back in time or is it just live?
I'll probably load it on again and give it another chance tommorrow/weekend
Thanks

top topics

<< 260  261  262    264  265  266 >>

join