It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2011

page: 260
<< 257  258  259    261  262  263 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Definitely but as I have noted they seem to happen after the 7 days

*Tin foil hat off*

Oh please, you look good in tin...

So when did you finally go with 9.1 in Japan?

Global CMT said that many months ago. I think I did a thread on it. Anymore I just say 9+, to account for the 8.9 to 9.1 range of multi-agency discrepancy. *shrug*

So it is a USGS conspiracy to wait that long to revise them for some nefarious motive? Or is it they've put a bunch of noobs on the night shift with the main guys getting the reports and doing the revisions from their beach houses in Jamaica- a week behind?

*shrug again*
I dunno.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Well here are the latest ones - after 7 days. (Can't upload to ATS Media - just says 'your file cannot be uploaded') so...

So it is a USGS conspiracy to wait that long to revise them for some nefarious motive? Or is it they've put a bunch of noobs on the night shift with the main guys getting the reports and doing the revisions from their beach houses in Jamaica- a week behind?

Well if it is a conspiracy then there are many seismologists around the world lolling around on beaches as they all do it! Change things that is! I do think that uplifts are more frequent than downgradings *tin foil back on* and I have to wonder why that is? It does keep it out of the public eye more since only earthquake nerds look at the 8-30 day list and the ANSS catalog. Many sites that report quakes just do not bother.

I found a couple of pheasant feathers. Do you think my tin foil hat would look better adorned with them? I think it might be quite fetching.

So when did you finally go with 9.1 in Japan?

Once it appeared as that in the ANSS catalogue.

edit on 15/9/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   

* This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.
Magnitude 4.1
Date-Time * Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 11:02:14 UTC
* Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 04:02:14 AM at epicenter
Location 49.573°N, 127.182°W Depth 25.2 km (15.7 miles)
Region VANCOUVER ISLAND, CANADA REGION
Distances * 126 km (78 miles) S (169°) from Port Hardy, BC, Canada
* 148 km (92 miles) WSW (252°) from Campbell River, British Columbia, Canada
* 230 km (143 miles) NW (307°) from Neah Bay, WA
* 295 km (183 miles) W (278°) from Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 25.1 km (15.6 miles); depth +/- 4.9 km (3.0 miles)
Parameters NST=132, Nph=132, Dmin=291.7 km, Rmss=2.3 sec, Gp=166°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=9 Source
* Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)
Event ID usc0005uyq

USGS

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by shell69

First may I say welcome to the ATS web site and this forum as a participant.

Here you will find some of the best information about earthquakes on the Internet. Why do I say that? Because the members who frequent this thread, and those who lurk and occasionally stick their heads up into the firing line on the whole produce excellent work that is based on facts.

I am glad I found this website and there are people like you guys on here that are seemingly tracking this stuff, and posting your findings as well as commenting with some kind of knowledge about the entire topic. I hate to see people come on here and it looks like all they have to post are comments completely insulting other's theories, information, or intelligence in some way or another.

As you have discovered there are some sites that are not quite so picky about their data. I have said before I am not expecting any great shakes for the rest of the year and maybe next, based on preliminary findings from past data.

By great shakes I mean 8.5+, those that are normally considered megaquakes in these modern days of superlatives.

You will never get laughed at or ridiculed here for introducing alternative theories that at least have some modicum of possibility. That might not be that case if you try to suggest that mega-earthquakes are caused by HAARP (they are not OK - let's just get that straight) or that Elenin is a brown dwarf that is 10 times as massive as Jupiter and is pulling on the Earth, or any other such whacky theories.

You will find some of the alternatives on this thread: Geophysics which is hosted by Zenius who you will also see on this thread.

Anything of a speculative nature to do with Yellowstone / Fracking / Arkansas / Bird Deaths / Hudson Bay / Life / Death / Resurrection / etc you can post on the thread hosted by Robin Marks: Robinesque Ruminations

Volcano stuff you will find on Volcano Watch and last but by no means least the giant Yellowstone thread is a BIG read all about the Park and has just hit page 700.

These and more ATS links, and links to many external sites you can find in my signature block and in the signatures of others.

So, as I say - welcome. Since your post was addressed to me........

I've been watching this website for the past 3-4 months and just became a member in the past week................I visited the USGS website and looked through the archives and it seems to me that an Earthquake in Middle TN is a rare occurrence, which in my opinion means NOTHING anymore, especially after the Virginia, DC, Colorado earthquakes recently.

The thing is that the Colorado quakes were actually not abnormal in recent years and there may be 'cultural' reasons for that. People tend to have very short memories and the Internet has really not been global for all that long and we are deluged with information that we never saw before.

The Virginia quake was out of the ordinary at first glance, but you also have to ask yourself how far back do we need to go to find a similar quake in the area? The answer is probably further back than we have very accurate records but this (link to) PDF Map details instrumentally located earthquakes in Virginia since 1774.

I seem to be having an issue with uploading to ATS still so take a look at this list which is extracted from the right hand side of the referenced map.

You will see that historically there have been three of Mag 5+. Agreed not 5.8 but who knows how accurate the readings in the 1800s were? These are more likely to be under than over. So they are not unprecedented. Rare perhaps as far as we humans are concerned but maybe Mother Nature thinks 1 every century or so is about right for Virginia? Before the white man arrived maybe there were quakes just as big every century. Who knows?

.....and it seems to me that an Earthquake in Middle TN is a rare occurrence, which in my opinion means NOTHING anymore...

So now do you feel the same way. It should not mean nothing since the historical records give an indication of what might be expected. Of course as I have demonstrated they may not be 100% accurate and probably do not go far enough back, but it certainly does not mean NOTHING.

[this ats limit on posting is getting to be a pain in the butt. 10,000 was OK. 5,000 is NOT - continued.......]

edit on 15/9/2011 by PuterMan because: more grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

edit on 15/9/2011 by PuterMan because: OK I am losing it completely! I think of a sentance and end up typing something completely different and nonsensical!

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by shell69

So now do you feel the same way. It should not mean nothing since the historical records give an indication of what might be expected. Of course as I have demonstrated they may not be 100% accurate and probably do not go far enough back, but it certainly does not mean NOTHING.

Any information anyone might have about the mid-south and possible scenarios regarding Seismic activity would be greatly appreciated as everyone around me thinks I'm paranoid and are all just stressed out by relevant topics like, the S@#%! is about to hit the fan!!!!

I have no doubt that we will see what we can collectively dig up since it is a subject dear the the hearts of many on this thread.

A thought to end with. Some are paranoid about being normal!

edit on 15/9/2011 by PuterMan because: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Fiji is fidgeting:

Magnitude
Date-Time
Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 11:59:52 UTC
Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 11:59:52 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones
Depth
370 km (229.9 miles)
Region
FIJI REGION
Distances
71 km (44 miles) SSE of Sigave, Ile Futuna, Wallis and Futuna
250 km (155 miles) SW of MATA'UTU, Ile Uvea, Wallis and Futuna
347 km (215 miles) ENE of Lambasa, Vanua Levu, Fiji
2548 km (1583 miles) NNE of Auckland, New Zealand
Location Uncertainty
horizontal +/- 16.3 km (10.1 miles); depth +/- 9.1 km (5.7 miles)
Parameters
NST=331, Nph=338, Dmin=546.6 km, Rmss=0.87 sec, Gp= 32°,
M-type=regional moment magnitude (Mw), Version=8
Source
Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)
Event ID
usc0005v2y

Be Well.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   

* This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.
Magnitude 4.9
Date-Time * Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 10:46:28 UTC
* Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 06:46:28 PM at epicenter
* Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones
Location 3.363°N, 126.662°E Depth 19.1 km (11.9 miles)
Region KEPULAUAN TALAUD, INDONESIA
Distances 288 km (178 miles) NE of Manado, Sulawesi, Indonesia
296 km (183 miles) NNW of Ternate, Moluccas, Indonesia
973 km (604 miles) WSW of KOROR, Palau
1391 km (864 miles) SSE of MANILA, Philippines
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 24.6 km (15.3 miles); depth +/- 8.3 km (5.2 miles)
Parameters NST= 47, Nph= 47, Dmin=928.4 km, Rmss=1.05 sec, Gp= 86°, M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=5 Source
* Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)
Event ID usc0005uxw

USGS

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Love the way they say this is IRELAND!.....PuterMan!!!!!

EQ-20110915-210596-IE
Magnitude: 4.2
Mercalli scale: 3
Date-Time [UTC]: 15 September, 2011 at 01:40:20 UTC
Local Date/Time: Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 01:40 at night at epicenter
Depth: 10 km (6.21 miles)
Region: Europe
Distances: 959.4 km (596.14 miles) S of Ducalla,
Source: EMSC

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

It is true that we hear about everything now that the internet is in every household in America. I've heard a couple things I'm not really sure if I should pay attention to. 1. The Haitian quake was long overdue, and that's why it was such a devastating event. 2. My state is on the Madrid fault line and it's overdue (hence we've not had a quake on record in so long) and that the fault line runs parallel to a major natural gas pipeline that goes through the state of Arkansas. I guess what concerns me the most about the possibility of a natural occurence like this is the unnatural man made things that could be affected by even a 6.0 or slightly higher quake... such as nuclear plants and natural gas lines.. hope that make sense.. i'm just trying to learn..but thanks so much for answering and it's great to be here!

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

About the only similarity between the mid Atlantic and Ireland is that they are both just about as wet as each other.

Never felt a ting so I didn't!

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Hello people

I love reading this thread on a daily basis and I love watching the USGS earthquake map. I don't know much about earthquakes but they fascinate me and I'm learning. I'm on the East Coast in the US and clearly remember only two small earthquakes in my area, in my lifetime, oh and recent one in VA that we felt for just a second.

Anyway... I just wanted to say hello and thanks for having this thread. It's very cool

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by shell69

Got to dash out but:

1. The Haitian quake was long overdue, and that's why it was such a devastating event.

No that was the nature of the terrain and the instability of the structures which were not built to withstand that.

2. My state is on the Madrid fault line and it's overdue (hence we've not had a quake on record in so long) and that the fault line runs parallel to a major natural gas pipeline that goes through the state of Arkansas.

True but there are several thoughts as to why there MAY not be another. I will find links. BTW I believe the gas pipeline runs across the fault.

I guess what concerns me the most about the possibility of a natural occurence like this is the unnatural man made things that could be affected by even a 6.0 or slightly higher quake... such as nuclear plants and natural gas lines.. hope that make sense.. i'm just trying to learn..but thanks so much for answering and it's great to be here!

I think most nukes in the States are built to take a 7, but like Japan it is not the quake but the tsunami. A major tsunami in Arkansas could be a problem!!!
(The US Navy would have you believe that is a possibility)

edit on 15/9/2011 by PuterMan because: Darn tags!

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I felt shaking here in MA. USA last night...I think it was between 8-9pm est....did anything happen that I would feel or was it something else maybe?

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by WildWorld

There was a little earthquake in Maine yesterday? Maybe it was that? I dunno... I have a friend in Dexter, ME and she didn't feel anything.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by shell69

Since you live in Tennessee, and you are aware of the New Madrid, then you should have a look at the Arkansas thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

So many people provided information that there is a bibliography with lots of links.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

To ease your mind I suggest you prepare yourself for a disaster. Many of those who came to read the Arkansas thread were worried and scared. They found comfort in bouncing thoughts and feelings off each other. So talking about anxieties helps allievate them. And having a plan makes you more confindent about your ability to endure an emergency.

Puterman, you forgot that Ruminations also covers the economy, politics and religion. It was there that I first professed that George Carlin was God.

Disclaimer, any advice given there is purely opinion, I am not a professional financial advisor.
Buy copper. Save your pennies.

edit on 15-9-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
NEW ATS MEMEBER CLAIMING

EPISODIC TREMOR AND SLIP

MODERATE QUAKES STRIKING

COULD 6.4 IN VANCOUVER BE A FORESHOCK

PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER

EARTHQUAKE SWARM IN ARKANSAS

IS SOMETHING HAPPENING AT KATLA

Ok, sorry for thinking out loud here. For all of the new people just joining, you might find these link of interest. I am constantly scrolling back and forth over the threads. They all have useful links and information in them. Just try not to overload yourself like I have done the last few days.

I know there are other great threads out there regarding quakes I just can't place them right now. Please feel free to add to my list. Since this is the Quake Watch thread I think it would be valuable if we linked all of the quake info together.

Westcoast, most of the links are yours and I hope you don't mind me linking them. I promise I am not stalking you.

I think I am relatively safe here in TN so I am just kinda watching the show. Thank all of you for your dedication and hard work.

Puterman, if I ever make it to Ireland I am taking you to the pub and buying you a Guinness! You say no more big ones for the year and I am gonna hold you to that.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by angelchemuel

About the only similarity between the mid Atlantic and Ireland is that they are both just about as wet as each other.

Never felt a ting so I didn't!

Love it! Thought it would make you smile

Only problem they are also reporting one in Portugal too

EQ-20110915-210650-PT
Magnitude: 4.4
Mercalli scale: 3
Date-Time [UTC]: 15 September, 2011 at 01:40:11 UTC
Local Date/Time: Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 01:40 at night at epicenter
Depth: 10 km (6.21 miles)
Region: Europe
Distances: 961.6 km (597.51 miles) of Terreiros,
Source: EMSC

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Roald

I agree and think South America is overdue for a large quake. I'm not forgetting the 8.8M. Recently, it's been realtively quiet. For South America. The Pacific must be expanding more freely after the Japanese quake. Of, course we've seen lots of activity in the east. Eventually, the energy will be build in the west and when there has been enough stored energy, we'll be another in the 8.8M range.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
reply to post by PuterMan

Oh stop it. You're starting to sound like a conspiracy theorist.

I saw the Cuba "6.0" come in on GEE on CU.SDDR, and to me that didn't look like a 6.0. More like a 5.6, if that. I expect it to get revised down some, or wouldn't be surprised. It seems there have been more revisions than usual in the last months to me. What about you, you get that sense?

Not far off TrueAmerican - Cuba's 6.0 has now been revised down to a 5.1

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Hawaii is seeing an increase in activity lately:

Magnitude
Date-Time
Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 15:06:00 UTC
Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 05:06:00 AM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones
Depth
9.1 km (5.7 miles)
Region
ISLAND OF HAWAII, HAWAII
Distances
14 km (8 miles) SSE (155°) from Volcano, HI
16 km (10 miles) SSW (199°) from Fern Forest, HI
19 km (12 miles) SSW (204°) from Eden Roc, HI
37 km (23 miles) SW (231°) from Hawaiian Beaches, HI
42 km (26 miles) SSW (193°) from Hilo, HI
352 km (219 miles) SE (128°) from Honolulu, HI
Location Uncertainty
horizontal +/- 0.3 km (0.2 miles); depth +/- 0.3 km (0.2 miles)
Parameters
Nph= 76, Dmin=4 km, Rmss=0.13 sec, Gp= 79°,
M-type=duration magnitude (Md), Version=1
Source
U.S. Geological Survey, Hawaiian Volcano Observatory
Hawaii National Park, Hawaii
Event ID
hv60266242

Be Well.

top topics

<< 257  258  259    261  262  263 >>

join