It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's Called WINTER, Folks, Not An Ice Age

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by fedeykin

According to the Met Office, records started in 1910. From the linked Mail Online article "the Met Office said this December was ‘almost certain’ to become the coldest since records began in 1910."

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

I hear ya. I call it winter in Minnesota. The weather forecasters on the local news have to turn it into a big "crisis" for ratings I think. We had an extremely mild fall here. And oh my gosh, talk to my mom who is in her seventies and the weather is "weird." I 'spose I'll be just like her when I'm old and that's all I'll talk about, too. My in-laws in Florida are "freezing to death" right now and in the summer it's oh so unusually hot and they never, ever have enough rain and fret over the "water table." Just shoot me now...lol.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by redeyedwonder

It depends on where you live, I suppose. It's always winter in MN before Dec. 21/22nd. Try trick-or-treating here on Oct. 31st. Snow/sleet/rain is normal and we dress accordingly, although it takes away from the costumes of the kids which are all covered over in winter coats, snow pants, mittens, hat and scarves.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Every 10,000 years or so give or take Super Volcanoes, Comets etc etc. We are apparently on the cusp of the next Mini Ice Age but as you said, it doesn't happen in one or two winters it takes decades or centuries......

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
When I was a kid in grade school in the mid 60's, it took a half a foot of snow to close the schools, now, just the threat of a dusting. I remember a snow in 63 in Pittsburgh, PA, that was so deep that we had a whole cave system dug through someone's yard, totally under snow, totally submerged, from above the whole yard looked untouched, as a play fort system while we had time during a rare school closing.

It took weeks before people could open ground floor doors, see your automobile even. What fun it was, winters in the 60's and 70's were real live winters with real live snowfalls, and lasted for months without thaws. Even south of the Mason-Dixon line.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Obinhi

I was really disappointed in the "Storm of the Century" last Saturday...southern MN and the Twin Cities got like 12 to 20 inches. All I got (an hour from the Twin Cities) was 8 - 10 inches. I went out grocery and beer shopping and rented DVD's for the weekend and didn't even get snowed in! What a letdown.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I am 45 and have noticed over the last 20 years or so that people are less and less aware of their surroundings.
It seems like unless it is an incoming text message they don't have a clue to whats going on around them.

Every summer people complain that it is hot in Phoenix.... There is earth shattering news !!!
IT"S PHOENIX PEOPLE !!! It's hot EVERY summer.

Every year:

It gets hot in the desert....
It snows and gets cold in the northern states...
It rains during the rainy season....
It's dry during the non-rainy season...

Nothing is changing except people's perceptions. It's like they already forgot what happened last year.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by mwood

funny without trying to be,
Gotta love the recollection.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
guys the next glacial iceage the natural cycle of the warm and cold periods is not due for another 50000 years.

Predicted changes in orbital forcing suggest that the next glacial period would begin at least 50,000 years from now, even in absence of human-made global warming

Milankovitch cyles

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
If its a summer thread it is inevitably Record Heat Waves Sun Spots and Solar Flares and a story how we are all about to perish in a fireball, I then finish my post of pointing out the fact that it is merely summer and how in winter it is always threads about ice age threads and incoming frozen planet.
Then I finish my post with a simple "See you in Winter to make the inverse post"
and sure enough I did this a few weeks ago in an ICY doom thread.
It's become somewhat of a tradition for me now.
and of course I will leave this post with my trademark.
See you in the summer solar flares of doom thread.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I too am from the Louisville/ Southern Indiana area and i must say that the ice is definatly bad in a few areas around me but .25-.75" of ice is not even close to an ice age or even a bad winter for that matter.

Just a few years ago we had 17" of snow with an inch of ice on top of that.

Edit to add: When i was in school just a few years ago ( Graduated in 2007 ), it took at least 6" of snow and a wrecked school bus to close our schools down.
Just yesterday they closed all the schools in Louisville for .25" of ICE!!!
Whats up with that?
edit on 17-12-2010 by LittleIndianJr. because: added above comment

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
The 76-77 winter around Christmas in the mid west compiled over 30 some days in a row the temp didn't get above zero ferinheight, ice cycles formed on your scarf around your face if you had to walk 4 blocks or so. Then the next winter we had the blizzard, 40 below and it was the only time I felt my eyeballs cold.

We used to leave the snow drifts in the back door alone in the house for the insulation effect they had, home furnaces in the early 80's could barley keep the pipes from freezing, we didn't have to use the refrigerator to watch the coldest NFL football game ever played in Cincinnati in 1983, wind chill during the game was 59º below zero, colder than the famed Ice Bowl in Green Bay in 1969, you can look it up.

It used to be colder than a witch's...well...you know.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
When they banned smoking cigarettes at work and made us go outside, it had to be single digits out before I would grab my coat to put on. Afterall, I wasn't out there that long.

It's simply not that cold out these days, not like it used to be.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
First of all, people are dumb.
The cold temptures came later this year and very sudden, of course this does not mean an iceage is coming.
Simply most were not able to adapt to the rapidly changing temps, so it SEEMS colder than useall.

Also as a first stated people are dumb, most do not think about how thier body did not adapt and assume it just does it right off the b at, so when they feel right cold they jump to conclusions.

The earth naturally changes from hot to cold over a long period of time, with lots and lots and lots of warning signs. Of course with us in the picture, there wont be an ice age, with the sun getting older (bright hotter and bigger) there wont be an ice age.

Infact here in canada, we have very little snow (execpt that random ass blizzard that got 400 cars stuck on the 402) but thats canada for you.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Wow. Why do people have to try to make other people sound stupid all the time. As many have stated, it is NOT winter yet, there are record breaking temps here in the U.S. and also unusual weather patterns, even Fox News is reporting this here in Chicago. As for an "ice age", well, this should clear things up for some.....
From Wikipedia

An "ice age" or, more precisely, "glacial age" is a generic geological period of long-term reduction in the temperature of the Earth's surface and atmosphere, resulting in the presence or expansion of continental ice sheets, polar ice sheets and alpine glaciers.

Now here is the fun part

Glaciologically, ice age implies the presence of extensive ice sheets in the northern and southern hemispheres; by this definition we are still in the ice age that began at the start of the Pleistocene (because the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets still exist)

en.wikipedia.org...

Would it kill you to use the search engines on the internet to do a little research before dismissing everyone that notices that the weather is acting strange? I admit that some may take it a little far, but to make that assumption about everyone else is absurd and plain ignorant.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Im in Canada now and it's pretty warm.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by loner007

Oh boy... here we go again with the myth of AGW... i knew some.... had to try to bring it up...

Your masters have been claiming the climate had to get warmer in order for "the man-made ice age" to happen, instead we have seen the contrary... Not to mention that very recently the IPCC had to admit they LIED about the Himalayan glaciers melting"... They not only fudged the data, but they published it to force governments to accept the GREEN LIE, and scare anyone not smart enough to realize they have been lying to push for their "One World Government to fight Climate Change"....

All of this has been proven numerous times, including UN papers showing they wanted to create an environmental crisis, an economic crisis, and even environlunatic groups to push for "changes" which the rich elites want...

Not to mention that we know for a fact that the oceans, and landmasses have been warming the atmosphere, not the other way around. The oceans, and land masses are a greater sink of heat energy than the atmosphere, and the oceans and land masses can store a lot more heat than the atmosphere.

The smaller sink, the atmosphere, cannot warm all of the larger sinks, land masses and oceans. The atmosphere can only warm PART of the surface of the oceans, but in the end the temperature of the oceans and land masses win.

Anyone even with only two inches of grey matter knows that at night all ocean surfaces cool, same with the atmosphere.

The AGW/Global Warming scare has been demonstrated to be nothing more than a scam...

There are things occurring in the Solar System, and outside it, which are causing the changes HAPPENING IN ALL PLANETS, AND EVEN MOONS WITH ATMOSPHERE IN THE SOLAR SYSTEM....

So please stop it already with the BS about AGW...

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by loner007
guys the next glacial iceage the natural cycle of the warm and cold periods is not due for another 50000 years.

Milankovitch cyles

This goes to show how little you know about Earth's cycles...

There are other factors that change the climate on Earth appart from the Milankovitch cyles... From changes in the Sun's activity, which we have learnt can change at any minute, such as the conveyor belt of the Sun slowing down in 2006 which caused a slight global cooling, to changes occurring in the Solar System, because even thou environlunatics seem to think the Solar System is in a stable environment, IT IS NOT... The Solar System is moving throughout the galaxy, and the galaxy is moving throughout the Universe and can encounter other galaxies, or nebulas, and these changes in the environment that the Solar System encounters affects the clmate of Earth, and every planet and moon with an atmosphere, as well as causing changes in the Sun...

The "next NATURAL glacial Ice Age" could start tomorrow for all we know...AND THERE IS NOTHING WE CAN DO TO STOP IT...

All we can do is adapt...

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

blah blah blah blah blah thats all i hear from you nuff said. Come back when u have some intelligence.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I think the record amounts of snow have nothing to do with h.a.a.r.p. , global warming, climate change, ;etc
It may have something to do with the 8.8 magnitude earthquake in chile that shifted the earths axis. Its happened in the past, the earths tilt can have similar effects to that of the moon, changing tides, volcanic activity and also extreme weather effects.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join