It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's Called WINTER, Folks, Not An Ice Age

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+34 more 
posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Seems we are already getting posts implying that the NORMAL WINTER WEATHER we are experiencing here in the states and abroad can be attributed to an ICE AGE.

How Absurd.

I am only forty years old, and I can recall MUCH worse winters than the pitiful things that are currently passing as winter here in my part of the woods, the United States Midwest, in particular, the areas of Southern Indiana, Western Kentucky, and Louisville KY, to be exact.

Really, no one has recalled ICE buildup on their vehicles or homes or trees before this winter? Honestly, this is the first winter you recall wearing your mittens? Are you kidding you cannot recall a single winter day in your childhood with weather in the teens or single digits?

What are you, twelve and a basement dweller?

This current weather pattern is called Winter, it is the time when things get cold and freeze.

It is NOT the beginning of an Ice Age.

That'a all.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

It may not be an ice age, but it sure looks like one at a Cleveland Lighthouse...

www.youtube.com...

Sorry I am new to posting links and do not know how to embed.
edit on 12/16/10 by staciebee because: to put the correct link in place...

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by staciebee

It may not be an ice age, but it sure looks like one at a Cleveland Lighthouse..

www.youtube.com%252Fwatch%253Fv%253DutFlCpFG0iI%2526sns%253Dfb&h=2a08a&fbb=r02c33e84&refid=7

Sorry I am new to posting links and do not know how to embed.
It looks like an ice age out my window too, or it did this morning before the city made a grey slushy mess of things. But it is not an Ice Age!!

BTW very pretty video, I saw it elsewhere on the web earlier today.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Im a little over 40 ( well maybe a lot) and I feel the same way. Been saying it, but no one listens.
Weather is wild.. always has been as long as Ive been alive. Yes, the nat guard has been called out before. Yes, we've had a few feet on thanksgiving before. Blah blah blah. I remember an ice storm in Memphis yrs before all of this climate stuff.. and it was s doozy. No one was really freaking out over the end of the world back then. We just dug out, made do, and survived for the abnormally scorchingly hot summer that followed.
I was in San Antonio in the 80's when we had a snow storm there.. which was absolutely hilarious. They closed schools for a dusting, no one could drive and the weather men were trying to make snowballs from a fraction of an inch of sloppy wet snow!

Funny story. We just moved to this area in Il maybe 5 or 6 yrs ago with a transfer. Before that Id been a very warm climate. That winter we had an out of the blue horrific ice storm that crippled St.Louis and our area. Id have sworn it was the Day After Tomorrow as I was SCARED> 7 days without power and at night youd hear was we thought was gunshots.. in fact it was trees actually splitting loudly. It was a real mess. And Im terrified at teh prospect of another ice storm this year.. but not in an apocalyptic sense!

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Thank god, someone with some common sense.

I thought I was the only one. Everyone I know seems to be so worried about the harsh winter to come, and I'm only 26 years old. I've seen way worse than this not even 10 years ago... And even worse when I was a kid. It's like its the first winter to ever hit earth before.... Where did the intelligent people go?

I promise once March rolls around, things will start to warm up and everything will be back to normal, except for of course, the spring storms and mudslides/ flooding we get every single year, but just wait, that'll all be new too.

Then we will start complaining about global warming and how bad it is. I wonder when we will re-name it to summer?

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater

I am only forty years old, and I can recall MUCH worse winters than the pitiful things that are currently passing as winter here in my part of the woods, the United States Midwest, in particular, the areas of Southern Indiana, Western Kentucky, and Louisville KY, to be exact.

Um, I think the point is......it's not winter yet!!!!!!!!!!

The fun is just starting.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
so...your saying "they" are faking the snow?!! omg, they are coating the world with ice in order to cover the fact its actually a desert now!
those bastards.

Yes, ice ages tend to take a couple hundred years of creeping glacial death if my slightly outdated earths history education means anything today. (could be wrong...too lazy to google the actual timeframe)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Do you also not buy into the Gulf Stream stalling? I am just curious. I live in Texas, so I doubt an ice age would affect us down here like it would in the northern regions.

I do, however, believe that the BP oil spill has played a roll in the stream stalling.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by xxshadowfaxx

Just another factoid.

This year's Farmer's Almanac warned that it was going to be a long, cold winter. They did not state anything about an ice age either. :-)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   

I totally agree. In central Ohio we're actually having a pretty mild winter so far. It's only snowed a few times, and not a lot of snow has accumulated. I know that the northern parts of the state got a few feet of snow, but that's totally normal; they're right next to Lake Erie. It's cold, but what do people expect. It's winter people! Suck it up, wear your winter coats, gloves and hats, and stop exaggerating.

Also, I'm only twenty, and I've seen worse winters than this one

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   

I would love to give you many stars. I know everytime there is a hurrican the global warming posse come out of the wood works. Up here in the north east the weather has been normal. winter 40F to -20 that range is typical anywhere in that range to me would be normal. Now if it was -20 below everyday pushing colder I would say it is a little cooler this year. Not OH MY GOD THE ICE AGE IS HERE. Sorry I love caps....

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
You would think it wouldn't be hitting the upper 70s in central Texas if we were having an ice age. Yet, we have been having warmer than normal weather all fall. A cold front will drop the temps for one day then its back to the upper 70s. Heck we even had the warmest August on record this year.

If I would base things on my local weather which seems to be the accepted way to do so when claiming an ice age, I would say we are seeing global warming.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by staciebee

The jet stream stalling is because HAARP is operational. They heat the atmosphere and reroute the jets stream to make our weather better or worse sometimes.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by staciebee
reply to post by Advantage

Do you also not buy into the Gulf Stream stalling? I am just curious. I live in Texas, so I doubt an ice age would affect us down here like it would in the northern regions.

I do, however, believe that the BP oil spill has played a roll in the stream stalling.

Its not stalled.. it has disruptions and currently BP/ et al is one of the major factors.
It certainly hasnt stopped or stalled as some have claimed on here. Our issues with the BP mess isnt over.. and it will be a while yet before we experience the real problems. If you have ever viewed the before and afer sat images.. and the constant ones since.. teh stream has changed somewhat and has disruptions. It has never stalled or stopped. This also happens for natural reasons and has in the past.

There was a time before all of these catch phrases and armageddonist rhetoric that the weather was accepted to be wild and cyclic. We knew it, expected it, and lived just fine. At the same time people are crying about another ice age in the US the southwest was having a heat wave. It is a matter of our jet stream dipping.. as it has been known to do in the past.. repeatedly.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
What winter?

Haven't seen it yet, still waiting... any day now, please.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I do not believe for one second that the gulf stream has stalled, or is stalling. There is nothing so far, that is out of the ordinary. Yes, we have harsh winters sometimes. Othertimes they are mild winters... This year is a harsh one, it's not rocket science...When it starts freezing in Mexico and countries near the equator, that's when it's time to start worrying.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Thanks for posting.
I was thinking the same exact thing when I saw all of the ice age threads popping up.
I remember winters so bad that the state government closed roads here. I remember single digits and even minus temps.

We've had a couple hot summers and some warmer winters, I think younger people forgot or don't know what winter really looks like.

People are getting paranoid and irrational around here on ATS.
Everything that happens is swung into its most dramatic "what if" and taken as fact.
Now once all this snow melts and if we get a hot summer, it'll be global warming all over again.

Originally posted by tribewilder

Originally posted by hotbakedtater

Um, I think the point is......it's not winter yet!!!!!!!!!!

The fun is just starting.

Christmas is only one week away! What do you mean it's not winter yet? Are you waiting for a special alarm clock, or going simply by the solstice?

Christmas one week away.... so it's not normal for there to be snow right now?
Where I live it has ALWAYS started to snow in November. No alarm clock needed for that.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

It IS ATS! Paranoia runs rampant around these parts, and we all have a duty to try and keep it to a minimum. Hopefully this thread will help.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
What winter?

Haven't seen it yet, still waiting... any day now, please.

Im envious.. almost hating you right now! LOL!!!
Its COLD here.. we had ice last night and our paper said by 8:45 we had 60 wrecks on why 15. The Highway patrol told everyone to stay home on the news. Yeah, right. A nuke could detonate and work would still expect everyone to be on time !
I had my husband cursing at the crack of dawn this morning because the garage door was frozen to the ground and he couldnt open it.
Sounds just like winter in the midwest to me..

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
If I am not going to be able to plant tropical plants in my garden due to absence of global warming then it better had be an ice age so I can at least enjoy some snow instead.

Right now I feel cheated out of both!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join