It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's Called WINTER, Folks, Not An Ice Age

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by starchild10
I am 60 and I have NOT seen worse. Oh yes I have seen much deeper snow and I have seen temperatures as cold.
But I have not seen snow or ice last as long. Over the last 3 years it has just kept on getting worse. Everywhere in the UK, meteorological records are being smashed. Including unprecedented flooding. Plus the times of the seasons are changing. I know this by when my garden produce is ready.
The weather globally has gone crazy.
It may not be an ice age. But it certainly is SOMETHING

You have not seen worse???? I'm guessing your in the UK, if so then where where you in 63-64, 88-89, 96-97?? These winters were far worse. The record low temp recorded, snow drifts in excess of 12 feet. This is not a continual cold spell. the UK had cold weather for 12 days, it then got mild for a week and now were back in cold for another 8-10 days. This is a typical winter i'm afraid. There is absolutely NO records being broken this cold spell because the cold isnt going to last long enough.

I dont understand where your statement about meteorological records are being smashed is coming from???

When you here statements like...

1. Its the worst weather in 20 years
2. Its the worst weather in 25 years
3. Its the worst weather in 30 years

These statements mean this exactly. This means there was worse weather before then.

No where has anyone said

1. This is the worst weather in 100 years
2. This is the worst weather since the 1800's
3. This is the worst weather in 10,000years (ice age)

The weather is just being THE WEATHER.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I do remember when I was younger, I'm 28 now, when winters were a little harsher than they have been here in eastern TN. Although winter hasn't officially started, this season has resembled that of when I was young. I wouldn't call it a bad winter, but since i enjoy snow it seems to be off to a good start. I live in a county that is notorious for getting missed by snow, while the surrounding counties around us get probably more than they want. Some would call this a blessing I suppose, but for me I enjoy the snow so bring it on. So OP, I do agree with you that this is just another winter. I will however start to worry if it continues to be cold next May, June, July ect...

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleodI'm guessing your in the UK, if so then where where you in 63-64, 88-89, 96-97?? These winters were far worse.

Please do report back in March after Winter has come and gone

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by pikestaff
Coldest SUMMER on record in Norway

When? Last summer? If so the record don't go far back as we had snowstorm mid summer during the late 60's.

For the last 10 years or so summers have been fairly warm for a country just south of the north pole.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

This thread gave me a chuckle. So true.

Cold winters = ice age.
Hot summers = global warming.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Well, we're the same age, and have the same idea for a post! I mean, its a big storm for this early. But this IS December.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I'm actually kind of disappointed up here in North Dakota, I was expecting more then the foot or so of snow thats on the ground. I hope its like last year and snows a few feet on christmas day. Love the OP, Florida gets a cold snap in DECEMBER and then EVERYONE PANIC!

No really, this seems like its going to be a good winter for winter sports and a bad winter for people who like to sun bathe in Jan.
edit on 17-12-2010 by Obinhi because: Added content

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   

You know it's funny but it is not only ATS. The Russian media is the same. They have come up with a term "anomalous weather" and now Every kind of weather that we have, be it hot or cold, or snowy is "anomalous". And you know it scares some people. They really believe this crap. Is it just a coincidence?

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ErEhWoN

Yes it is December, but there is always a begining , and what we are experiencing could well be the begining of a mini ice age, recent ice core samples have indicated that there can be sudden changes in climate in time spans as little as ten years , changes in direction of ocean and air currents are one sign that will indicate some sort of changeing weather pattern , i would very much like to hear the latest results of the strength of the Gulf Stream, if we are about to experience a ten year change then it may well also collaps the world economy to such an extent that a world goverment may be born to cope with the global catastrophe

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Although I particularly agree, the degree to which you attest to know for a fact what an "ice-age" would even be like is just as naive as those claiming it is an "ice-age"...

Just admit if there was an ice age you would have no clue what it would start like or look like or what the weather would be like....just admit you have no clue...because unless you were around for the last one, you don't...no one does.

Ok now that you have admitted you have no clue what an "ice-age" would be like other than your perspective of the movie "day after tomorrow" or some variation, can you admit that your claim to know "ITS JUST WINTER" is as equally unfounded as those claiming "ITS AN ICE AGE"

Don't want you to feel like I am attacking you but I absolutely detest people who claim absolute knowledge one way or the other regarding things such as weather cycles...

We don't have enough recorded data on the cycles of weather to make ANY conclusions at all what so ever...its that simple. Its why global warming is ridiculous, its why man made global warming is ridiculous, its why any conclusion regarding the weather is, and will for the most part forever be...ridiculous...

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by staciebee

Cleveland, Ohio

- Elevation: 234 meters Latitude: 41 25N Longitude: 081 52W

Weather historical data

Average Temperature Years on Record: 48

°C 10

Average High Temperature Years on Record: 48

°C 15

Average Low Temperature Years on Record: 48

°C 5

Highest Recorded Temperature Years on Record: 48

°C 40

Lowest Recorded Temperature Years on Record: 48

°C -28

Average Precipitation Years on Record: 48

cm 94

Average Snowfall Years on Record: 52

cm 140

Average Possibility of Sunshine Years on Record: 50

% 49

Average Number of Clear Days Years on Record: 52

Days 66

Average Number of Cloudy Days Years on Record: 52

Days 202

Average Number of Partly Cloudy Days Years on Record: 52

Days 97

Average Number of Rainy Days Years on Record: 52

Days 156

Most Recorded Rainfall Years on Record: 48

cm 136

Average Number of Days Above 90F/32C Years on Record: 48

Days 12

Average Number of Days Above 65F/18C Years on Record: 48

Days 167

Average Number of Days Below 32F/0C Years on Record: 48

Days 122

Average Number of Days Below 5/-15C Years on Record: 48

Days 10

Average Number of Days Below 32F/0C Years on Record: 48

Days 122
edit on 17-12-2010 by mick1423 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-12-2010 by mick1423 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull
If I am not going to be able to plant tropical plants in my garden due to absence of global warming then it better had be an ice age so I can at least enjoy some snow instead.

Right now I feel cheated out of both!

Dont worry your getting it... You wont be able to drive anywhere next week

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Hurray for OP being sensible.
This in fact IS a normal winter as we should experience it, but have not experienced it since about 20 years now.

Dumb ass appocaliptists!

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I'm a western Canadian and so far this fall is pretty much status quo as far as cold weather goes. It's always cold here in the winters but what i do notice, and anyone else here, is that our spring and summers have gone odd the last few years.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Not to disagree, but I don't think that an ice age will necessarily start this year, or maybe next year. Gosh, it may start in a decade or milleneu for all we know.
I'm not suggesting the "fact" that there will be an ice age...But it's possible.
And thats just in the states. I live in Estonia (Europe), and the winter isn't as usual: There is an unusual amount of snow, it just doesn't stop. Thats rare, but not very, so I'm still not saying that our future ice age is a "fact".
Also we should start accepting the possibility of an ice age. An ice age is natural and it will have to happen sooner or later.
I personally would prefer horrible winter weather all year round than global warming and factory gases, even if it means suffering. Todays weather will only lead to the suffering of the next generation.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

From 22 November 2010, cold conditions arrived in the United Kingdom, as a cold northerly wind developed and snow began to fall in northern and eastern parts, causing disruption. The winter arrived particularly early for the European climate, with temperatures dropping significantly lower than previous lows for the month of November. On 28 November, Wales recorded their lowest-ever November temperature of −17.3 °C (1 °F) in Llysdinam, and Northern Ireland recorded their lowest ever November temperature of −9.5 °C (15 °F) in Lough Fea. The UK Met Office issued severe-weather warnings for heavy snow for eastern Scotland and the north-east of England

France A record −15.3 °C (4 °F) was measured during November in Orleans, France, where the record for November was last set in 1946.Ice and snow led to power outages in Orleans.

Scandinavia Trondheim, Norway's third biggest city located in Central Norway, experienced the coldest November since the beginning of recording temperatures in 1788. Especially the last week of November saw temperatures 12–14 degrees Celsius (22–25 °F) below normal. Severe blizzards hit Southern Sweden and Denmark, affecting flights at Copenhagen Airport. Over 30 centimetres (12 in) of snow fell. Helsinki and Stockholm recorded their coldest November nights on record, at -20 and -17 °C , respectively (-4 and 1 °F)

thats just for november we have to wait till january for the december month to see if any other records are broken throughout the UK
edit on 17/12/2010 by loner007 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17/12/2010 by loner007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Well I wouldn't call it a normal winter.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

But I wouldn't call it an ice age. TBH though this is the first winter I can remember that its snow this side of christmas and i'm 23. Even my gf said all this snow, its like the worlds gonna end I must be telling her to many conspiracies.

Peace.
ALS

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Look, I'll openly admit I don't have time to read any of this. I got about 5 words in then said screw this.

We decide if it's an ice age during the Summer. If it snows during the summer. You know? So is it snowing in Australia right now?

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sover3igN

Hurray for OP being sensible.
This in fact IS a normal winter as we should experience it, but have not experienced it since about 20 years now.

Dumb ass appocaliptists!
From the news 5 minutes ago, "The Met Office said if the rest of December is similar to what we have already had then December will go down as the coldest in over a 100 years since before records begun, The forcast for the rest of December, very little change, But hey what do i know, im just a DUMB ASS, cheers mate,

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

the stuff i'm reading has key words that contradict you position... this recent cold IS odd/extreme
afterall...see:

earthobservatory.nasa.gov...

Clearly, 2010 was cooler than average in northern Europe and the eastern United States. Greenland and parts of northern Canada, however, were exceptionally warm. This temperature pattern was caused by the Arctic Oscillation.

The unusual cold brought heavy snow to Northern Europe, stopping flights and trains early in December. Cold temperatures and snow also closed roads and schools in the eastern United States and Canada during the first week of December.

the terms ~cooler than average~ and the phrase ~Unusual Cold~ are not describing
mundane, naturally occuring weather patterns.

in fact the Arctic Oscillation is a uncommon pattern...
now, some that are going hyperbolic about the weather anomoly are doing the chicken-little dance...

but the frigid weather here in SC is not normal...
at around this time of year we are used to temps getting up near the 70s... then in Jan. we'll
get ice storms perhaps or weeks of wind & rain that is bone chilling...

average is composed of a history of variations...this being one.... Achoo! to you

ADD: here's another news release that belies you position:

(Reuters) - Around the globe, the weather has turned extreme, driving up prices for commodities running the gamut from sugar and wheat to heating oil and orange juice.

Australia, for instance, is suffering from both extremes -- with drought in the west and deluges in the east. Heavy snow in Europe and sub-freezing temperatures in the United States are likewise fuelling the weather rally in commodities.

hey, not everyone but yourself is falling into the Alarmist category....
the apparent staunch position of denial is the wrong stand to take... as the rest of the world is
rolling with the weather
edit on 17-12-2010 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join