It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Would You End All Religions on This Planet?

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

Religion, is faith. Even something as timid as Bhuddism is still faith, you still making irrational beliefs no matter what the preachings instruct you to do (whether it be moral or imoral)

I have no respect for faith, i think it's primitive Man cannot deal in revealed wisdom. It's as false and untrue as Mediums, Ouija boards, phycics, sprit healers, astrologists. It's a con, and conjuring trick.

And pascals wager is the most vile proposition to even suggest to a child:-

"what happens if my religion is true, why not just submit to the totalitarian edict, you MIGHT go to hell"

This is wicked preaching.

Thanks for your kind comments about my argument.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by awake_and_aware

Yes, you are correct, but lets take for example our beloved 'NewAgeMan'. Nothing you could possibly say would do anything to change his mind, no bit of text or pictures on the internet could be taken as any kind of evidence to him, he immediately discounts everything you say in his mind and tries his best discredit atheists, using things he has seemingly found on Christian websites that are designed to help in this exact scenario.

link   

edit on 15-12-2010 by sinohptik because: didnt want to distract from the previous post

link   

That's my point, man has created God's out of his own words and own understand of the world he exists in.

Of course an Atheist is not going to praise God, because it seems the invisible and the non-existent are very much alike.

The good word, is my civil discourse and use of reason to emancipate people from the fear of eternal damnation and prevent it from spreading to our future generations causing further prejiduce and separation in society.

Thanks

edit on 15/12/10 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   

"There is a principal which operates as a bar against all information, and proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance. That principal is, contempt, prior to investigation."
~ Herbert Spencer, Scientist.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by sinohptik

do you have faith that the Earth is round and infact not flat? If so, why?

I put my "faith" in science, simply because of evidence, but this statement is oxymoronic because faith is a belief without evidence. I need evidence to assert a belief, If i didn't........i would expect to be proved wrong on my false assumptions
edit on 15/12/10 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   

So what you are saying then is that life and reality is WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get), and so therefore, unless someone can produce, for YOUR inspection, God-in-a-bottle, you will never even consider it, the God hypothesis, as even remotely possible ie: a self aware universe, or creator.

Are you at all familiar with the paradoxes of quantum physics btw..?

Anyway, good for you, you get to be right. Run with that then..

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   

I agree, we have to be skeptical of any scientific theory, we have to be unhappy with it, because you should be humble enough as a human that you understand that you do not know everything and we can get things wrong.

For example, theory of relativity and quantam mechanical mathematics do not marry, we are misunderstanding something about the universe, does that make these theories or "beliefs" irrational or wrong? No? Science is always learning always progressing.

We eventually discovered the world was spherical (or an oblate spheroid) that fact will not change, It is absolute. That's science.

What i won't stand for, is a phoney theory of creation with faulty logic and without proper evidence and reason.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

No, We can't just believe in what we see.

From quantam mechanics, we understand that the universe behaves very bizarrely on atomic scale, Things are not as they seem. Radio waves for example, you can't see them, but you can believe in them - EVIDENCE.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan

"There is a principal which operates as a bar against all information, and proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance. That principal is, contempt, prior to investigation."
~ Herbert Spencer, Scientist.

It's funny that you are quoting someone who didn't like the methods and ideas of what is now common in religion, and yet you obviously use these same concepts in earlier arguments. I am tempted to ponder if you know who Herbert Spencer is or even the meaning of this quote.
edit on 15-12-2010 by RSF77 because: hes googling it... heh

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Funny, I already posted evidence on the last page, but you went right on by, pretending you never even SAW it, it was the information by those high level scientists like Bernard Haisch and Irvin Laszlo, coupled with a video by a pretty enlightened guy talking about the right view and thinking about our place in the world.

Nevermind..

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Whos Irvin Laszlo? And are you Catholic?
edit on 15-12-2010 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

It's not about the common, the dross, the mass-man, but the rare, the gold, of which you know nothing, although I'm still begging you nevertheless, to seek it out, not just for your own sake, but for mine and everyone's.

Deny ignorance!!! That's the ATS creed no? That's what my work here is about, I don't know what you "atheists" are up to though, as much as you THINK you already know, as much as you assume, and presume to know.

God help me..?

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

Successor to Einstein, or considered as such, bio in that post I made. Considered perhaps the smartest man in the world.

No I'm not Catholic, God forbid!

edit on 15-12-2010 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   

I'll be sure to have a look, I see you've posted a few videos; i'll have a look when i have time and let you know my honest opinion on them.

I don't think it'll much change my belief system, Just the same as one Atheist video is not going to change your mindset.

It's not that i am close-minded, just that extraordinary claims generally require extraordinary evidence. I don't think there will be sufficient evidence to convince me conclusively.

Maybe you'd like to take a look at the video in my signature on the main page "ATHEISM AND ANTI-THEISM"

Peace out.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
reply to post by RSF77

Successor to Einstein, or considered as such, bio in that post I made. Considered perhaps the smartest man in the world.

No I'm not Catholic, God forbid!

edit on 15-12-2010 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

Well, that was just a joke, I said that because you misspelled his name, I know who he is. I asked if you were Catholic because Bernard Haisch is of the Catholic faith, something which you are not. So why are you quoting people who you have fundamental differences in belief with? Is it possible that you are just nuts?

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by awake_and_aware
reply to post by sinohptik

do you have faith that the Earth is round and infact not flat? If so, why?

Ahh, quick reply, tried to edit it out so you would go back to the previous post. oh well, ninjas are everywhere

I have faith in that because my eyes have seen it and the evidence for it. Before the earth was "proven" to be round, what did people believe (rhetorical)? Did their belief have an impact on what was actually there, besides for the individual person perceptions? Were the people who believed the Earth was round, before it was proven or even attempted to be proven, prosecuted and ridiculed for having faith in such ideas by "science" AND "religion?"

Everything i/we know could be *still* be false, but its in that openness that i understand my mind/perception is simply not capable of understanding a great many things, or more specifically, just capable enough to *mis* understand a great many things. To me, if one thinks otherwise, there is no use for science (or religion, for that matter).

But, just to clarify, you personally have no faith whatsoever? edit: saw clarification. so, has science ever been wrong? does something that science can not acknowledge, observe, or measure, exist?
edit on 15-12-2010 by sinohptik because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   

I'm sorry, who presumes? We don't presume anything, you do all the presuming and we are calling you on your illogical presumptions, we only just found out that the Earth orbited the Sun a few years ago, yet Christians know the origins of the universe.

Pretty damn cool story, if cool meant awful, and story meant myth.

We are not "up-tp" anything. We atheists don't sit in dark rooms and conspire against religion. We fight against it because it is evidently retarding the progression of science and peace in the world.

Spend less time praying, more time learning.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

Catch you on the rebound.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Nope, check that message again. The part you read was a placeholder.

In the future, assume that I am going to check the faith of every single person you quote.

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join