It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obamacare ruled unconstitutional

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Breaking news on news channels

Pre-announcement on the hill.
thehill.com...

A federal judge in Virginia is expected to issue a decision on the constitutionality of the healthcare reform law Monday afternoon, marking the first major step in a lawsuit destined for the Supreme Court.

U.S. District Court Judge Henry E. Hudson will decide whether the Constitution's commerce clause prevents the federal government from requiring individuals to purchase health insurance. Legal observers say Hudson, a President George W. Bush appointee, is likely to rule against the Obama administration in the lawsuit filed by Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli (R).

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Now we can move on to real solutions to health care costs. Like cut costs, create a competitive healthcare market, reduce demand, and hopefully, start charging foreign nations for the health care of their citizens that can't pay the emergency room for their cold treatment.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Not surprising! Thus ending an unconstitutional program that was thrust onto the American public, clearly overstepping the Powers of Congress per Article 1 Section 8.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by dbriefed

There have already been other judges that have rule in favor of the Health Care Reform Bill. And other courts that have just flat out thrown out the cases challenging them.

This is one judge in one case...if he judges it unconstitutional, all that will do is advance it to the Supreme Court. I doubt they will rule it unconstitutional, but go ahead and get your hopes up.

But honestly, this ruling means nothing...the Health Care Reform will still not be repealed.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   

This is a Godsend for the country. Obamacare needs to be repealed and replaced. The mess if incompetence and speical interests involved in that thousands page bill, which none of the "scholars" read, is beyond comprehension. The centralizationing of private information collection on Americans and the total control over treatment (doctors) is third world disgusting, disrespectful and oppressive as well. Obama, Peloski and Reed had a lot of nerve trying to force feed America their small minded Marxism.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

those cases were mostly about the medicare (caid? dont' remember which ones) mandates. shaky ground. this is the BEST legal case for the repeal of obamacare and the first ruling on the subject.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbriefed
Now we can move on to real solutions to health care costs. Like cut costs, create a competitive healthcare market, reduce demand, and hopefully, start charging foreign nations for the health care of their citizens that can't pay the emergency room for their cold treatment.

HAHAHA Cold treatment we should be lucky to get off that easy, try the pregnant illegals coming here to our ER'S to give birth, a hell of a lot more expensive and a hell of a lot more prevalent!

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   

If it isn't repealed now, it will be in 2012, Obama's just a one termer~

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Giving this one a bump.

This is important. S&F!

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Virginia judge..yep

so they finally found a judge that went with that..meh, this amounts to little.

however, it would be agreeable to me for a state to "opt out" all together from the contract.

anyhow, the election is over...the freakout session over this is pretty much forgotten from the public mindsets.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whereweheaded

If it isn't repealed now, it will be in 2012, Obama's just a one termer~

Boy aren't you going to be surprised IF Obama isn't re-elected (which at this point I think he will be re-elected), and the republicans say "Well...we know we said we would repeal it...but we can't now because there is too much of it already in effect.".

Think about it.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

One judge...several others have ruled that HCR is constitutional. This will end up in the Supreme Court.

The irony is that the GOP and the Healthcare Lobby demanded the mandate....before they pretended to be against it for political purposes.

See...the mandate ensures that the Healthcare Lobby can still make gobs of money.

Absent the mandate, with the cost of covering uninsured americans falling squarely on the Healthcare industry...you might see the healthcare lobby putting the screws to the GOP to institute a Public Option...

This is fun...The GOP and the financial interests they work for are sweating bullets. Overturning the mandate makes for great political rhetoric, but if it actually happens they are screwed.

I'd love to see the mandate go...and healthcare insurers would still be required to cover pre-existing conditions and not be able to drop folks when they get sick...and they will have no revenue streams to off-set those costs...they will be shouting for the gov to provide a public option.

Fun times...I wonder how the GOP will handle the spin of having to call for a public option or oppose removing the mandate? Because they can't repeal the whole bill...Pres. Obama will veto and the Senate still has a Democratic majority.

They can wait two years and hope for a GOP President in office who will pass a repeal, but by then much of the HCR bill's coverage will have taken effect and it's very hard to come back and explain you are dropping 30 Million Americans from coverage and allowing Insurance companies to drop follks when they get sick etc....as part of a campaign platform...

Wow...the GOP will have to consider the public option or quitely squash the repeal of the mandate. Tough spot.

This is what happens when you get elected BSing...you have to actually make decisions.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   

The possibility of Obama being re-elected are slim. Just look at his approval ratings. He's doomed.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Good, I do support giving healthcare to people here legally that can't afford it, but it isn't supposed to be done by the federal government, the state governments should do it like Hawaii.
edit on 12/13/2010 by Unilluminist because: typo

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

Dont forget though, though he does have a Democratic Congress, anyone who knows, would know that it is the House that ultimately controls the budget and spending. Congress can say what they want and pass what they want, but in the end, the house controls the funds. And be that it may the House is controlled by the Republicans, the chance of any veto is slim.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

There have already been other judges that have rule in favor of the Health Care Reform Bill. And other courts that have just flat out thrown out the cases challenging them.

This is one judge in one case...if he judges it unconstitutional, all that will do is advance it to the Supreme Court. I doubt they will rule it unconstitutional, but go ahead and get your hopes up.

But honestly, this ruling means nothing...the Health Care Reform will still not be repealed.

Do you honestly believe that?

Lets make a friendly little wager on it. The loser never again posts on ATS.

I believe it will be ruled unconstitutional by SCOTUS.

Sound good?

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whereweheaded

The possibility of Obama being re-elected are slim. Just look at his approval ratings. He's doomed.

Uh -Huh...and by 2012 HCR will be covering an additional 30 Million folks...people will no longer be able to be dropped from thier insurance when they get sick...and will be able to get insurance despite not having perfect health...and the GOP candidate that runs against Pres. Obama will be campaigning on taking all of that away from them....

See the problem? Right now it is repealing things that haven't gone into effect yet...2012 they will be screwing over millions of Americans taking away coverage...a tough campaign platform.

Repeal is not going to happen and for Pres. Obama to lose in 2012 there has to be a contender. Show me a better candidate and I will vote for them...But Romney? Palin?...still waiting.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigTimeCheater

Sound good?

Can I take that bet?

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I just saw this on CNN. It's about time. I've said all along that the federal government can't force people to buy anything. Period. But watch it be reversed somehow.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by maybereal11

Originally posted by BigTimeCheater

Sound good?

Can I take that bet?

Absolutely.

Obamacare completely flies in the face of the Constitution. No way will it ever be found to be within the powers of government.

I will take a screencap and keep it in my media upload area as proof. No new accounts, nothing. The loser simply disappears from ATS for good.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join