It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think that ATS should take a tougher line on those who ridicule other people's spelling.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by amc621
Like someone already said, the lack of spelling and grammar shows a lack of education, if I was debating someone on a issue and the spelled horribly, I would point it out while pointing out they need to become more educated on the topic and overall.

Spell check though is not perfect, and shouldn't be relied on completely.

It missed an (issue) and the(y).

I'm just kidding with you guys btw, don't take me seriously...

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Agreed, i once foolishly moaned about a member's spelling once, before I was reminded that the OP could have been a person who doesn't speak English as a first language. And i admit i felt a bit bad - so i tend to avoid mentioning it.

Although spking liek dis 2 get my p0int ACROSS rlly ann0yz m3!!1!

and I will tut to myself.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

What can you say but

Again

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePyramidAgenda
yeha smeo pepol tlle me I cnat splel btu I dnot mnid.
But seriously, if people are going to make a thread, at least make it readable. Some people do huge sentences in caps lock, exclamation marks left right and center, and generally just makes the thread look shabby.

I'm talking about the 'debating' tactic, where someone mocks another person's spelling or grammar, even so it has no relevance to the thread at hand.

This should be considered a breach of ''manners and decorum'', in my opinion.

Originally posted by ThePyramidAgenda
I only ever see people who create threads getting ridiculed, never see the repliers ridiculed.

It's not hard to fix typos.

Are you serious ?

There is a lot of heated debate between repliers, and I've seen these ''grammar Nazis'' creeping more and more in to debates.

Some people just aren't adept at spelling or grammar, but there's no need to mock them for it, as long as they can get their point across.

edit on 8-12-2010 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by tsurfer2000h
reply to post by amc621

Funny but I know some college graduates that have a typo when using a computer so the uneducated comment is rediculous. So if everyone was a perfect speller they would have no reason to be posting on here now would they.They would have better things to do. Also if you do not enable spell check it is not always automatic on all computers.

Actually being in college does not make you necessarily any more educated than someone who isn't. If you don't understand, and implement, what you learn, such as correct grammar that should have be learned in high school...

College does not automatically make you an intelligent person.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Exactly man... spelling doesn't really bother me, if I can read the post then that's all that matters.
People who moan about spelling and grammar and actually have both spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in their posts.... now that's another story, that really grinds my gears

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
Hello there.

I really enjoy the discussions and debates on ATS, and think that it's, by and large, excellently moderated.

However, I've noticed that there's a tendency of some people to mock the spelling, grammar, punctuation etc. of another poster ( who invariably disagrees with the ''mocker's'' opinion ).

I think that this tactic should breach the ATS T&Cs, violating the ''manners and decorum'' rule.

It's extremely impolite to ridicule another person's spelling or grammar ( especially as they may have a mental disorder, or be from a non-English speaking country ), it adds nothing to any debate, and is based largely upon childish one-upmanship.

It's a borderline ad hominem, and I think that it should be dealt with accordingly !

edit on 8-12-2010 by Sherlock Holmes because: Thread title too long !

If you want to be taken seriously as a credible source (just like the real world), you need to at least know how to spell the words regarding your subject matter.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

I am a grammer nazi I will admit it...If someone misspells something, I'll point it out in my post, if they correct it afterwards, I will remove the correction from my post. Plain and simple, no ridiculing involved. But yes we should be more civil to those whoms first language may not be English and give them some leniency.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

I think it depends on the mystake (sic).

You, you're, your, a, an, they're, their, there etc., if used incorrectly should be a hanging offense.

Incorrect comma use, run-on sentences etc., a mild warning.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Wally Hope

\

Well yeah, OMG you are soooooooo rite.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wally Hope
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

But most of the miss spelling, and bad grammar, are from English speaking people with no mental disorders. It's easy to tell the difference.

If you want people to read your posts, and take you seriously, you should have the common courtesy to present your posts in a readable manner. Bad spelling and grammar make you look uneducated. Especially when you can use a spell check.

It's also disheartening to me to see such bad grammar, shows me the world is not getting smarter but getting more lazy, and laziness begets stupidity.

Taking liberties with the English language should get you band!

Sorry to the OP, but I just had to point out the irony of someone ragging on poor spelling, while spelling a word incorrectly in his or her post.
edit on 8-12-2010 by InvisibleAlbatross because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-12-2010 by InvisibleAlbatross because: Fixed grammar

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Isnt spell-check automatic in just about every browser now?

I find it virtually implausible anyone can misspell anything these days unless it is intentionally done.

LOL.

I really would like to add a more productive reply, but I'm absolutely flabbergasted, unless you're being ironic...

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
While I agree - incorrect spelling can be frustrating, not everyone is good with spelling .
Just like some people are not good at maths. It does not make them stupid, it just means that is an area they struggle with.
People should not have to spell check every post they make, some people with poor spelling put massive posts up every day to contribute and to make a whole thread over this issue just seems over the top to me.
Also I have noticed in the past you can only edit new threads you create for a certain time which can be annoying when you spot a problem too late.

If you cant stand their spelling that much, just skip their post.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   

I love this thread!

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   

I don't... I think it matters if you can read it and that's it.
What else do you need?

As I've said, the only thing that annoys me is people who moan about the spelling and grammar of others, while their own posts are littered with mistakes.

Like amc621.

I'm not a snob when it comes to writing, I couldn't care less... if it's readable then fine.

It's not like we are a literary forum here, we discuss alternative topics and have members from all over the universe posting, so it just means we have to try a little harder to read a post sometimes, no biggie.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   

"You didn't do too badly."

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Using grammar/spelling mistakes to mock someone in a post is extremely childish (yes, it's seen here a lot) it's on par with those who resort to name-calling, etc. when they cannot think of anything else intelligent to write. Ultimately, it does more harm to the person doing the mocking, rather telling about character, no? I don't think it needs to be moderated (providing there has not been an alert sent) there is enough moderation going on and the big issues are time consuming enough, I would imagine.

To all those who feel it's their duty to correct grammar/spelling mistakes or who are self-termed "grammar nazis" seriously GROW UP. This is not school and you are not a teacher. If someone else's mistakes bother you, skip the post. If you are so bothered by consistent errors, go visit the BTS thread that discusses grammar issues in general terms. Seriously, get over yourselves.

edit on 8-12-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I completely agree. The only issues I have are with people who are too lazy to type full words.

"I hear u." Seriously, how hard is it to type "you"?

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross
reply to post by LadySkadi

I completely agree. The only issues I have are with people who are too lazy to type full words.

"I hear u." Seriously, how hard is it to type "you"?

100% agree with the pair of you!

Funny thing is, the majority of people in this thread who claimed poor grammar and/or spelling angered them can't even construct a basic sentence themselves. If everyone was a bit more tolerant, the world would be a much nicer place to be

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   

But most of the miss spelling, and bad grammar, are from English speaking people with no mental disorders. It's easy to tell the difference.

How can you tell over the internet ?

Can you tell whether I'm a native English speaker, or whether I have a mental disorder that may affect my spelling ?

The answer to both of my rhetorical questions is ''no''.

If you want people to read your posts, and take you seriously, you should have the common courtesy to present your posts in a readable manner. Bad spelling and grammar make you look uneducated. Especially when you can use a spell check.

If someone presents their argument with a litter of spelling mistakes an grammatical errors, then the viewer is entitled to form an opinion about the educational and intellectual capabilities of the posters, if they wish.

What I'm objecting to, is the use of someone's spelling and grammar as a ''stick to beat them with''.

It's also disheartening to me to see such bad grammar, shows me the world is not getting smarter but getting more lazy, and laziness begets stupidity.

Taking liberties with the English language should get you band!

Without wishing to sound like a complete and utter cock, I'd say that my spelling proficiency is around the 95% + mark. My punctuation and syntax is far less accurate !

I'd be really pissed off to have any argument belittled by a ''grammar Nazi'', who picks holes in the linguistic side of my argument, rather than the actual point that I was making.

edit on 8-12-2010 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join