It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think that ATS should take a tougher line on those who ridicule other people's spelling.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Hello there.

I really enjoy the discussions and debates on ATS, and think that it's, by and large, excellently moderated.

However, I've noticed that there's a tendency of some people to mock the spelling, grammar, punctuation etc. of another poster ( who invariably disagrees with the ''mocker's'' opinion ).

I think that this tactic should breach the ATS T&Cs, violating the ''manners and decorum'' rule.

It's extremely impolite to ridicule another person's spelling or grammar ( especially as they may have a mental disorder, or be from a non-English speaking country ), it adds nothing to any debate, and is based largely upon childish one-upmanship.

It's a borderline ad hominem, and I think that it should be dealt with accordingly !

edit on 8-12-2010 by Sherlock Holmes because: Thread title too long !

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

I respect you have a opinion, however I think poor spelling and grammar need to be pointed out. How hard is it to use a spell check? It takes all of 3 seconds to cut and paste from WORD to your post.

I think it says something about the poster if they can't spell or using proper grammar.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   

You are so very right about this. Some people try to get their points across without having to write out a large post and I have no problems with that. I must admit I don't like to write out a long post and have erased some a couple of times to try and shorten it up without having to use so many words. Kind of like this post I am doing now. I hate to write so much but what can I do. Excellent idea by the way hope it gets the attention it should.
edit on 8-12-2010 by tsurfer2000h because: I have to even edit this for spelling oops,sorry.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   

yeha smeo pepol tlle me I cnat splel btu I dnot mnid.
But seriously, if people are going to make a thread, at least make it readable. Some people do huge sentences in caps lock, exclamation marks left right and center, and generally just makes the thread look shabby.

I only ever see people who create threads getting ridiculed, never see the repliers ridiculed.

It's not hard to fix typos.

Cheers
Brady

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   

But most of the miss spelling, and bad grammar, are from English speaking people with no mental disorders. It's easy to tell the difference.

If you want people to read your posts, and take you seriously, you should have the common courtesy to present your posts in a readable manner. Bad spelling and grammar make you look uneducated. Especially when you can use a spell check.

It's also disheartening to me to see such bad grammar, shows me the world is not getting smarter but getting more lazy, and laziness begets stupidity.

Taking liberties with the English language should get you band!

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by tsurfer2000h

Just curious, do you have WORD or some other writing application on your computer? I can't imagine that anyone doesn't. It takes 5 seconds. I just timed it with this post.

If you have spelling grammar issues, write your post in WORD, due the spell check, then cut and paste.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by amc621
...due the spell check, then cut and paste.

Due the spell check?

C'mon now...

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Isnt spell-check automatic in just about every browser now?

I find it virtually implausible anyone can misspell anything these days unless it is intentionally done.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Wally Hope

I'm just saying if your worried about being ridiculed for your grammar and spelling then do it. If you don't care about your spelling and grammar mistakes then don't worry about it. I mean who cares anyway. Your being criticized by some faceless poster on ATS. In the big picture that doesn't matter.

link   
If a post is poorly written, I don't even bother reading it; I assume the person who doesn't care enough to present his/her ideas clearly isn't bright enough to have anything to say worth thinking about or responding to.

link   
reply to post by ThePyramidAgenda

You are right about the shabby thread situation. I mean their is a reason for the review button on these pages,but I guess some don't like to use it. U spel grit bie tha why.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

I respect you have a opinion, however I think poor spelling and grammar need to be pointed out. How hard is it to use a spell check? It takes all of 3 seconds to cut and paste from WORD to your post.

Pointing out someone's spelling and grammatical errors would only be relevant in a debate that surrounds the subject.

Have you ever seen someone mocking another poster's spelling or grammar, when they are in agreement on an issue ?

No, it's always used as a tactic to belittle someone who has a different viewpoint, and should be treated as the mindless ad hom that it is.

I think it says something about the poster if they can't spell or using proper grammar.

Shouldn't that be ''I think it says something about the poster if they can't spell or use proper grammar.'' ?

What you posted may well have been a typo, or an erroneously edited sentence, but should I have the opportunity to mock you for it, when it has absolutely nothing to do with the subject matter at hand ?

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
People develop a reputation based on the quality of their posts. The fact is that a better written and grammatically correct post provides more clear information than one that does not. I do not believe ATS wants the reputation that comes with posts that do not contain any complete sentences, mistake "their" and "there", "patience"and "patients" and "could care less" with "could not care less". I do agree with you that there are many people with mental disorders who post here. One could probably make a case that MOST people who post here are mentally disturbed. With apologies and tolerance to ESL people here, the fact remains that well written posts enhance the reputation of ATS. Indeed, I suspect many ESL people are actually better at grammar and spelling than native English speakers.

Therefore I propose that ATS promote a Grammar Czar with his own set of "Grammar Mods" who will be tasked with policing the site and ridding it of bad grammar, misspellings, Caps Lock atrocities, and SMS speak ("Peeps," for example). These moderators will not invoke point penalties except in the most egregious circumstances where they will put in place a large banner, framed in red with a yellow background, with multiple laughing emoticons, and the phrase, "This person should consider remedial education in spelling and grammar before posting here."

If this is implemented, fear of ridicule will result in many more gramatically correct posts that contribute to the stellar reputation of ATS. Hits and standings will rise. Ad revenue will increase, and the world will be a better place because of it.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Isnt spell-check automatic in just about every browser now?

I find it virtually implausible anyone can misspell anything these days unless it is intentionally done.

...you missed an apostrophe and a comma

Anyway, I agree with the OP. A couple of typos shouldn't really affect the validity of a post. Also, a person may be foreign or be dyslexic, which obviously means that the spelling/grammar we consider to be straight-forward may be a lot more difficult for them. Nevertheless, they may still have some very valid points that deserve to be put forward and considered- you shouldn't instantly jump to the conclusion that they are not worthy of your i-presence, purely because they made a couple of errors.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Like I said, go ahead and mock away. If it bothers you or ANYONE else that posts THEN USE SPELL CHECK!!!!!

Like someone already said, the lack of spelling and grammar shows a lack of education, if I was debating someone on a issue and the spelled horribly, I would point it out while pointing out they need to become more educated on the topic and overall.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by amc621

Trust me I do not have a problem with my spelling that is what the review button is for, you know the one next to reply and if a word does get missed in review that is what the edit button is for. No need to write it in word then copy and paste it they give you the tools right here on the site.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   

reply to post by Wally Hope

I'm just saying if your worried about being ridiculed for your grammar and spelling then do it. If you don't care about your spelling and grammar mistakes then don't worry about it. I mean who cares anyway. Your being criticized by some faceless poster on ATS. In the big picture that doesn't matter.

It's not about being criticized, I think it's common decency to present your posts in the most readable manner.

You didn't do too bad, but here is your corrected post...

'I'm just saying; if you're worried about being ridiculed for your grammar and spelling then do it correctly. If you don't care about your spelling, and grammar mistakes, then don't worry about it. I mean who cares anyway? You're being criticized by some faceless poster on ATS. In the big picture that doesn't matter.'

:
edit on 8-12-2010 by Wally Hope because: grammar LOL

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by amc621

You've moaned about people not using a spell checker and about bad spelling and grammar... and both of your posts contain these errors.

Shouldn't you get your own house in order before commenting on others?

Error 1.

Error 2.

If you have spelling grammar issues, write your post in WORD, due the spell check, then cut and paste.

Something about glass houses and stones spring to mind....

ETA:

And numerous other errors pointed out by the other poster.

edit on 8/12/10 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I think it's more about the context of the post. If you're posting a thread or a comment that you expect to be taken seriously, that you want people to feel you've put thought into and considered properly, and then fill it with bad typos (and sometimes consistently bad, which generally means you think that's how it's really spelt), it lowers your credibility. Basically, if you've not taken the time to ensure that you've expressed your message in a coherent and easily read manner, then how can you possibly expect me to take the time to read it?

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by amc621

Funny but I know some college graduates that have a typo when using a computer so the uneducated comment is rediculous. So if everyone was a perfect speller they would have no reason to be posting on here now would they.They would have better things to do. Also if you do not enable spell check it is not always automatic on all computers.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join