It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think that ATS should take a tougher line on those who ridicule other people's spelling.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by shadowind

Not always no, but sometimes it is.
I just don't understand when there is a built in spell check. If you are writing something that you want people to read, why not take the time and make it the best you can. To me it shows you don't really care much about what you are talking about. Take pride people!

link   
OK everyone, this thread has veered completely off course ( or should that be ''coarse'', LOL ).

This isn't a [SNIP] contest about spelling and grammar.

My thread is entirely based upon questioning the 'debating tactic' of ridiculing another poster's spelling; this is an ad hominem attack, and should be treated as such in the context of a debate.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

edit on 9-12-2010 by Gemwolf because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by OddTimeSignature
reply to post by unityemissions

I could have said it myself...very good post there sir...

Then do it already!

Yeah, I'm totally just kidding.

If I can comprehend what someone writes, I just dun giw vwa phnu)

Actually, wouldn't there be some correlation between abstract reasoning potential and being able to comprehend order within what the more concrete thinkers view as "random" ?!

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   

edit on 8-12-2010 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Star and flag to you...
Yes i have problems spelling and puncation for different reason and i find it demeaning that people poke fun at it. Aslong as peeps can understand what i say.. thats what should be important.

Igtg4now..cu...bb&nn:-)x

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
I don't think it needs to be moderated (providing there has not been an alert sent) there is enough moderation going on and the big issues are time consuming enough, I would imagine.

Why not ?

Attacking someone's spelling or grammar is clearly not intelligently addressing the argument or topic at hand, and is purely done in an attempt to belittle an 'opponent'.

You would probably agree that the ATS ''manners and decorum'' policy is very useful in having an intelligent, civil debate.

I'm questioning why snide comments about someone's spelling and grammar ( and the alleged link to the poster's intelligence, that supposedly relates to their spelling proficiency ), don't fall foul of these conditions.

Originally posted by LadySkadi
To all those who feel it's their duty to correct grammar/spelling mistakes or who are self-termed "grammar nazis" seriously GROW UP. This is not school and you are not a teacher. If someone else's mistakes bother you, skip the post. If you are so bothered by consistent errors, go visit the BTS thread that discusses grammar issues in general terms. Seriously, get over yourselves.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
Yes i have problems spelling and puncation for different reason and i find it demeaning that people poke fun at it. Aslong as peeps can understand what i say.. thats what should be important

Precisely.

As long as someone can put their point across coherently and understandably ( which you can ), then I don't see any need for these sad-act ''grammar Nazis'' to 'correct' anybody.

It's the fact that people are allowed to belittle another poster in this manner, that prompted me to post this thread.

This is a 'below the belt' tactic, and should be treated in the same way as any other personal attack that occurs on ATS.

Manners and decorum !!!

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

My first thread on ATS was about this topic
and other issues.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

Thanks for the link.

You make some good observations in your thread, and it relates to some of my posts here.

By the way, I like your avatar of the cat and the cork. Is that your cat in the picture ?

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Deenai Igrence !

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   

This cat does look like my boy kitty.I don't know how
to do avatars,a friend made this for me.
I hope my old thread can be a help to yours.
We all need to remember that we are human and we make
mistakes.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
This cat does look like my boy kitty.I don't know how
to do avatars,a friend made this for me.
I hope my old thread can be a help to yours.

I love art and the beauty of nature, and that cat in your avatar is a fantastic example of the truly remarkable and beautiful creatures that we share this planet with.

Originally posted by mamabeth
We all need to remember that we are human and we make
mistakes.

Very true ! If only everybody accepted this inevitable fact, then the world would be a much better place !

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Why can't I give you one crummy star?

Yes you are right, I totally agree.

The reason for the spelling/grammar police is two fold: some people are so anal they, are well they are anal and discrediting someone that has the opposite opinion of yours is done by finding a fault of theirs and calling it to public attention, making them sound stupid in order to win people to "your way" of thinking.........discrediting the enemy is a bullying tactic and very well in effect here on ATS.

Glad you called a spade a spade though and yes we are only human.

In a perfect world we would use MS Word, spell check and grammar check but in the process per chance some of our creative juice would get lost, so mispell, and as long as the rest of us get the gist who the F cares!

edit on 8-12-2010 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I HAVE actually pointed out horrid spelling and grammatical errors on someones post whom I agreed with, as soon as I could derive meaning from the caveman grunts. To use correction of grammer as invalidation of someones logic if their logic can be extrapolated from their statement is an ad hominem attack, and of itself invalid.
I make small typos, and errors all the time even though I have a powerful command of the english language. I also never use spell check as I'm about 95% accurate in my spelling so I might miss 5% here or there. I don't have a problem with small syntax errors, or missuse of punctuation most of the time. This is an informal media, and as long as the thought gets accross...sure it's all good.
My take on it is this: It depends on the situation. I find it absurd when someone is trying to convince me that they have some profound truth, or revelation to reveal to us. Born of their gigantic intellect, and then they display a less than elementary school level of lanuage use. C'mon! communication is what separates us from the animals! On a written media, what you write is the only image of your intellect we have. To tell me "I R much smartz." is a total dichotomy. You are giving me a picture of an orange, and telling me it is an apple so yeah I'm going to call you on it.
If we are discussing something un-intellectually involved then I don't really care how much your I.Q. or lack there of shows in your use/abuse of grammar. Also I can perceive when I am communicating with a non-native english speaker, and of course give them the benefit of the doubt. You can also spot lazy, and/or undereducated native speakers who just don't care to invest the energy into trying to sound cogent, but I generally don't care how dumb you sound or try to correct you on it unless you are trying to convince me of how intelligent you are.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by amc621

I respect you have a opinion, however I think poor spelling and grammar need to be pointed out. How hard is it to use a spell check? It takes all of 3 seconds to cut and paste from WORD to your post.

I think it says something about the poster if they can't spell or using proper grammar.

And I think it says something about the poster if they dismiss the opinions of others based on their grammar.

Nurrrgh, that's just my opinion, maaaaaan.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   
ATS should allow criticism in all forms, no matter the tactic.

To use spelling against someone's position is an equally viable gesture towards a common dispute.

Misspelling and Errors in grammar can be pointed out to discredit the OP (or anyone) in terms of overall intelligence or in many cases, their personal value for what that person enters, and insists, abroad.

To regulate or eliminate spelling as a rebuttal; overall, conforms us into a higher totalitarian state, here, on ATS.

The Intellectual move: Promote all rebuttals as a right to one's natural freedom.

The (potentially) Popular move: Regulate replies.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Personally I am neither bothered by poor spelling or poor grammar, it is the intent of the poster that I respond to.. if it is evident that a poster is being lazy in the way they are trying to get a message across then I simply ignore them too.

English is a very fluid language, and is made up of many dialects that include many different spelling and grammar rules. My local dialect has both spelling and grammar rules that are at odds with the Standard English rules pushed by some on here and across the net, and it is those people I actually consider ignorant of English, and generally ignore them.

CX

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I'm suprised with all the improvements to the site, ATS has never included a spell check in the posting page. Many other more basic sites have this.

I know you can just copy and paste from Word, but if i had a quid for every time i'd written a post and accidently deleted it whilst faffing about with copying and pasting from one page to another, i'd be a rich man.

CX.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Spell checkers can be a mixed blessing, since they cannot always tell the difference between "due" and "do", or "there" and "their" (as can be seen from this thread). They can actually insert mistakes. For example: "criminalized youth" suddenly gets "corrected" to "caramelized youth", and "denialist" becomes "denials". Amazingly "denialist" isn't in the browser dictionary. Sometimes relying on the spell checker can totally destroy the tense and grammar.

English is indeed a fluid language. In SA we are stuck between UK and US spellings, and many new varieties are arising from the post-colonial regions.
In SA black consciousness writers regarded an insistence on standard English as elitist. It was one way of silencing people who did not have access to equal education.

I agree with the OP, as long as a poster communicates it is petty to criticize their spelling and grammar.
However, since it gives one an insight into a poster's methods it should not be banned (as long as something on-topic is added to the critical post).
When a critique of spelling is added to other personal insults, like "your mind is gone", or "you're not too bright at interpretation" (which usually signals that the critic is not too good at clear elucidation) I consider that poster to argue in bad faith and will ignore them in future.
Sometimes people are just in a hurry, or had some drinks.
Posting becomes urgent when things get heated, and the flow gets more important than getting anal over spelling.

If somebody really doesn't know where to put apostrophes, and it bothers you, then why not U2U and explain the rule to them in a friendly manner? That would be acting in a global spirit of empowerment.
edit on 9-12-2010 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Obviously you have not read all my post here. I could care less if someone mocks me. I do care when someone comes across in a post as a no it all with spelling and grammar errors.

I don't claim to be a know it all, I ask a lot of questions when some statement is made here that seems unbelievable.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join