It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think that ATS should take a tougher line on those who ridicule other people's spelling.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
double post my apologies page froze and refreshed
edit on 8-12-2010 by thecinic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Most times for me it's a typo from typing too fast i'll re-read it then go back and edit it....

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
This has been my daily dose of ATS humor. Reading the various posts about spelling and grammar that are full of spelling and grammar mistakes as well. (that was a sentence fragment).

The spelling doesn't bother me too much usually.
Punctuation is a personal vice of mine; I do not punctuate well.

But the OP had it right, the petty sqabbling about spelling and word usage does go a bit too far, and its not occcasional, it happens way too often.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by thecinic

And a double post.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross
reply to post by Wally Hope

"You didn't do too badly."

OK you got me, I blame it on my lack of a college education.

It's arguable though as some dictionaries allow bad as an adverb.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

\

Well yeah, OMG you are soooooooo rite.

I hope you realise I'm just kidding. I guess my British sense of humour is just too subtle.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Meh, I'm just kidding around

I had a tough instructor in university who hated "bad" in that sentence.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

I never ridicule any members spelling errors.

However, I rarely read anyone's thread when incorrect grammar is used, spelling is bad.

Or even if improper sentences and or paragraphs are used.

I usually correct the word when replying without ever telling them just to be polite.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   

I think that ATS should take a tougher line on those who ridicule other people's spelling.

Correction: I think that ATS should take a more tough line on those who ridicule other people's spelling.

I agree.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I am wollhy srurpesid taht no one pinoetd out one ndees not autclaly sepll the wrod ceorcolty. Mreely pcalnig the frsit and lsat ltteer of a wrod, wilhe rnadmloy palincg the ohetr lttrees is slitl qiute lgebile.

The human brain is amazing in its ability to instantly rearrange the letters when placed into context. Knowing the general idea of what one is conveying through type, one can read the above with near fluency.

It is one thing to provide constructive criticism towards other posters to help develop their written arguments into powerfully conveyed ideas. It is another to outright ignore what they wrote because of a few misspelled words and misplaced punctuation.

Besides, an astute debater does not debate their ability to spell nor use correct grammar unless it is the topic of discussion. Inconsistencies in logic are far better an indicator that the person has no idea what they are talking about.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by amc621

I respect you have a opinion, however I think poor spelling and grammar need to be pointed out. How hard is it to use a spell check? It takes all of 3 seconds to cut and paste from WORD to your post.

I think it says something about the poster if they can't spell or using proper grammar.

Well..Some of the sk, spellcheck programs out there does´t work well with grammar from some languages..and then if you are a intelligent person the spelling and grammar often are poor..so the obvious here is if you are mobbing these persons, there will eventually drain from smart american people but more importance smart international people...but ma-by this is your and the administrators goal for this site...the next move would be setting up a similar site but for the rest of the world...how about that..

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I recall a large thread a couple years ago that dealt with this. The conclusion was that it had to do with one's way of processing information. It seems this could have to do with the "left brain" processing, or more specifically, an innate tendency to use a region of the brain that deals with sequential processing of information.

Personally, I really don't care much. I've had trouble with spelling and punctuation ever since entering school, but at the same time was clearly advanced in mathematics and sciences. Everyone's a little different. I think people should show some respect for this, and be less prejudicial.

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas

However, I rarely read anyone's thread when incorrect grammar is used, spelling is bad.

Or even if improper sentences and or paragraphs are used.

How unfortunate for you! I would think there's probably a good chance you're missing out on some good information from doing this.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

My browser has a spell check built in to it, and I've had this technology for almost ten years.
So why is it, so many people are ten years behind every one else?
edit on 8-12-2010 by beholdblight because: "lajfdc akjdlj aslfvjk halfkjd hvaldfuhvlad fhvlau dfhvlusfhvluwifhv uiwdfhviuwf" Look at all these great facts you're missing

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I don't expect perfection with spelling and grammer but if it so bad we can't understand it - what's the point of posting. At least use spell check!

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
I don't expect perfection with spelling and grammer but if it so bad we can't understand it - what's the point of posting. At least use spell check!

With an avatar like yours shouldn't it be.....purrrfection? Hahaha, I crack myself up sometimes. No wonder others look at me oddly for randomly smirking.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   

i've had people point out some of my frequent misspellings and it doesn't really bother me. if someone understands your post enough to be able to recognize what words you're misspelling or understands your argument enough to know where your grammar went wrong, then they're just being d-bags, spending time pointing THAT out instead of poking holes in the post/argument. just tell them thanks and move on. maybe that'll make them feel better about themselves and next time they'll let a misspelling go.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
reply to post by thecinic

And a double post.

People should get a 500 point deduction from every double post!

Some people abuse the "double post" as they just wanted to get to 1000 but it is always a good excuse

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

Sticker Story - hilarious!

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

To each their own.

I decide to go towards the higher common denominator.

You can always educate rather than degrading the information coming into your head.

That is not in any way a judgement, nor derogatory, I was reading Tolkein at 12 years old.

I have a passion for reading and a thirst for knowledge which is unquenchable.

Then again I believe a high school education should be mandatory.

And drop-outs should lose their citizenship.

We need higher standards and to not be one of the lowest countries as far as education is scored.

Drop the nonsense of "No Child Left Behind" and teach them correctly.

That only creates a country where the collective IQ is lower and America has enough problems.

Pay teachers more and expect more not less.
edit on 12/8/10 by SpartanKingLeonidas because: Adding Depth and Insight Into the Post.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
"I'm talking about the 'debating' tactic, where someone mocks another person's spelling or grammar, even so it has no relevance to the thread at hand."

It has all the relevance in the world. What business do you have debating on an internet forum if you do not know how to write properly? What business do you have debating verbally if you do not know how to speak properly?

"This should be considered a breach of ''manners and decorum'', in my opinion."

As if there are not enough absurd "censorship rules" on this site. Yeah, this makes a whole lot of sense. Let's accommodate the lazy illiterate morons and penalize those who have actually bothered to properly learn the language.

And if English is not your native language, tough cookies! Go post on a site that uses your native language if you want to be taken seriously.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join