It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dear Santa (You suck!)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Ive never agreed with the whole santa myth,parents use it to get good behavior out of kids,and so they can get a kick out of seeing kids getting excited about santa,its almost for the parents entertainment not the kids.

If i ever have kids i wont be continuing the lie,we would be better teaching kids the true meaning of christmas as a time of giving (and not buying expensive toys)

I guess i was the same when i was younger but i see kids opening presents on christmas day and they get so many its unbelievable,im too young but im guessing a lot of people here had only a handful of presents at christmas when they were a kid but i bet they played the crap out of them!

I also feel like theirs a lot of pressure to buy people presents and what people will think of me if i dont buy them,i mean me personally i love presents but im fine without them i just buy what i like anyway but people are under pressure to buy something.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by amc621

I think you are missing the satirical point made by and in the OP about how Christmas has become a commercial nightmare, and has nothing to do with its original purposes.

Moreover, the OP is an adult and is a father. Not agreeing with his point of view is not an excuse to attack him personally or cast dispersions upon his intellect or maturity. He is actually a pretty smart and nice guy.

~Heff

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by amc621

I think you are missing the satirical point made by and in the OP about how Christmas has become a commercial nightmare, and has nothing to do with its original purposes.

Moreover, the OP is an adult and is a father. Not agreeing with his point of view is not an excuse to attack him personally or cast dispersions upon his intellect or maturity. He is actually a pretty smart and nice guy.

~Heff

Satirical? Really? Is there ANYONE who doesn't realize that Christmas is commericalized at this point? As a father / parent aren't you responsible for teaching your kids right from wrong? Teach them what this holiday season is really about?

I did not attack, I gave my point of view of where I see this person's level of maturity. Pretty smart and nice with comments like "I would like to fight him thunderdome style" and "I would like to smash his teeth out with a shovel" hmmmm, Not sure what your definition of smart and nice, in my world comments like that don't come from smart and nice guys.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I made a point of not lying to my children about anything. I taught them to be honest and took credit where due for the gifts they were given by hard working loving parents.
Teachers at their grade school regularly told them their parents were liars and that there WAS a Santa. they were very confused.
I see nothing at all good about lying to your kids or making them think some stranger in a red suit gives them more then you do, it makes it easy for them to be targets of molesters in red suits and teaches them when they learn the truth that their parents lie to them.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Fair enough. How did your conversation go with the teacher who told your child you lied? How soon after was the teacher fired?

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by stinavamp
My daughter is 2 years old and I have been wrestling with the concept of Santa since I got pregnant.For I believed in Santa Clause for an unnaturally long time.I'm talking like until I was a teenager.I think I held on so long because I was a poor kid and the concept of someone who gives presents every good boys and girls regardless of stature, color or creed just seemed so beautiful to me. When I finally realised Santa was not real I was devastated beyond belief. Santa represents something different to everyone.Now I look foundly upon my memories of Santa.As do most adults.These days we strip the innocence of children earlier and earlier. I mean I just had to have the sex talk with my 9 year old niece.When I was 9 I barely even knew boys existed other than to play mud wars with. For me Santa at its heart is the embodiment of generosity yet is it ok to lie to your children. Sometimes yes and sometimes no. For now I think I'll let her make that decision on her own.

But you was poor and didn't get a bunch of stuff from Santa so didn't that make you feel like you was bad or something? you should have hated old santa i would have thought.

I was raised very poor as my dad died when i was 8 and my mother was a bad parent in nearly every way, to me Christmas meant going to school after the vacation and hearing everyone asking "what did you get" Well i got nothing..ever!
So Christmas is a horrible hardship on those very poor kids who hear about the gifts and trees and especially for me the food and have none.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by amc621

Fair enough. How did your conversation go with the teacher who told your child you lied? How soon after was the teacher fired?

I had that conversation, more then once from grade K- 3, and made appointments and spoke to Principles of both schools my kids went through as they grew up...no one did a thing about it. In fact they acted like i was some kind of monster not letting my kids believe in a lie. I guess i could have done more but I was not informed at all about any rights I may have had in those days.
My mother was a habitual lier and I hate lying! If there is something kids don't need to know don't tell them, but don't lie to them ever...my belief.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

Mr Mask.....

i wish I could embed this image but I'm just not smart nuf......
but I know you'll like it!!!!! better go have a look see..
files.abovetopsecret.com...

ooops I thought it was santa....LOL oh my....d'ohhhhhhh
edit on 3-12-2010 by Doc Holiday because: run forest run

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

I had that conversation, more then once from grade K- 3, and made appointments and spoke to Principles of both schools my kids went through as they grew up...no one did a thing about it. In fact they acted like i was some kind of monster not letting my kids believe in a lie. I guess i could have done more but I was not informed at all about any rights I may have had in those days.
My mother was a habitual lier and I hate lying! If there is something kids don't need to know don't tell them, but don't lie to them ever...my belief.

What part of the country are you in? How long ago did this happen? I'm SHOCKED that a teacher got away with that. I see teachers getting reprimanded for looking a kid the wrong way.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by amc621

Raised my kids in the country near Chico CA. Country schools in the mountains Spring Valley. Long time agao they are both in their 30's now! Also to be clear I was only 16 when my daughter was born and 18 when my son was born so i was really green and young when they were in the lower grades, having had no parent myself (my mother does not count) I had no idea how to deal with these people. But I was plenty angry so I did my best!

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Good for you. There is NO WAY any teacher should be telling kids their parents are liars. Of course that doesn't mean if the parents are abusing a child, the teacher should still not say something like that, but get child services into the situation.

Good luck to you and I hope your kids learned from you.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Good for you. There is NO WAY any teacher should be telling kids their parents are liars. Of course that doesn't mean if the parents are abusing a child, the teacher should still not say something like that, but get child services into the situation.

Good luck to you and I hope your kids learned from you.

Thanks, I can say they are very honest people and Love the holidays..which I don't..but never lied to their kids about X-mas and Santa! Very proud of them both. They tell me i was the best parent ever even as young and dumb as I was!
It is very hard if teachers tell your kids a lie and you have told them the truth, they love their Teachers at that age and it is hard for them to think the Teacher is the one who is lying, sad to have to make them divided that way

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Oh...this thread has been a nice break to my day...I grew up with Santa, still remember the feeling of going to bed the night before, the anticipation, the trying to stay awake quietly so as I might catch a glimpse...everyone was always a bit happier, a bit less stressed. The finding out of the lie was a gradual dawning, of course for the first year or 2, I still hedged my bets and though I would publicly denounce him, privately I would try to make ammends...just in case.

Now I'm 40, 4 kids, and they have grown up with Santa...the teenagers still get gifts...why, it's a tradition, my 8 yr old is at that place I was...Maddie, shape up or Im calling Santa...whatever dad, it's not a real number, but if I pick up that phone...lol. Why do I continue...tradition...for me. I'll miss that look in her eyes as I pull up the 'ol NORAD santa tracking website, at least I have a few more years to make magic real for my 3 yr. old.

That's my 2 cents...

Oh...and as far as lying to your kids...Please...we parents all do it, yes, even those that say "I never...", I know at least once you must have used the mommy and daddy are wrestling! lol.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

I bet everyone remembers as a kid the day they discovered Santa was all a scam. It felt just the same when I discovered that my religion (and all others) were a scam just the same...except that it was the adult version scam.

Santa = scam for kids,
Jesus, Krishna, Buddha, Mohammed etc = scam for adults.

Funny how people have so much "faith" in these things without even a shred of VALID evidence on them...

Brainwashing is a very powerful tool that works very well...
edit on 3-12-2010 by jontap because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigFrigginAl

Oh...and as far as lying to your kids...Please...we parents all do it, yes, even those that say "I never...", I know at least once you must have used the mommy and daddy are wrestling! lol.

First let me say, you sound like a delightful parent.

Secondly, let me add, no...honestly...I've never told a lie to my son. The closest thing thus far is this dodging damn Santa thing, and that is only because others in the family are yelling at me.

But really...I think I'll just dodge the question a year or two more (even if its killing me to do so), then just let him in on the big evil secret.

MM

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

LOL...well thank you!

Just grin and bear it, enjoy that sparkle in their eyes, too quick that they grow up and are faced with the hard realities of life!

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by BigFrigginAl

I wish it was that easy...

But telling a lie to my son actually would hurt...a lot...People tell my son "your father is the most honest man we know" and I have told myself I'd never lie to him.

That fact of the matter is this- I personally truly believe it is absolutly wrong to tell kids there is a Santa....and fundamentally dishonest to the core.

And to suffer being a liar for the sake of millions of people "enjoying the lie" or worse "feeling it is beneficial to mental growth" ...is just...well Orwellian.

I am constantly having this debate for the past six years with so many of my peers, family and friends, and so few understand just how morally screwed up it truly is to feed such hogwash to kids.

Add to that "the real meaning behind the media's support of Christmas and Santa-ism" and I actually get angry.

And I mean this...I really think all people telling their children Santa is real, and perpetuating the false ideal of Christmas are actually abusing children...

But try telling that to anyone with sugar plums dancing in their eyes...they just can't grasp the concept that ALL LIES are bad...all lies.

Like I said...my child knows whatever I tell him is fact...he knows I swore to never lie to him. He even knows adults lie all the time to other children and each other. It was my promise to him that he could trust me, unlike most other adults...

And yet...here I am fearing the holiday holocaust if I even dared to stand up for truth and honesty like all parents should be doing instead of "playing their slave role to the corporate elite".

I'm sorry...I just think lying to your child about anything is absolutely wrong....and if you MUST do it, it should be for something FAR MORE IMPORTANT then a stupid gimmick invented and sold to line the pockets of people who don't give a damn about the real meaning of Christmas.

Sounds harsh to some...but only those who lie once a year to the most important people on earth.

MM
edit on 3-12-2010 by Mr Mask because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

I understand what you are saying. I just don't think of it as a lie anymore than watching a David Blaine special is a lie. For me...I remember it with joy, even when I found out. For me, it's just my tradition...and seeing excitement in my kids just makes me feel damn good.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigFrigginAl
reply to post by Mr Mask

I understand what you are saying. I just don't think of it as a lie anymore than watching a David Blaine special is a lie. For me...I remember it with joy, even when I found out. For me, it's just my tradition...and seeing excitement in my kids just makes me feel damn good.

I also understand what you are saying...so I hope you take our disagreement as nothing hostile. You seem very nice and thoughtful.

I also do not watch TV or know what a David Blaine is...

I really just am upset that so many people have built a giant lie, and if I am to stand up for truth in my household, I'm gunna be called a liar by my son, and looked at like some monster...

Where as in a REAL world of truth...such an act should be applauded.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I know they're just kids but even when I was the age of "Santa believing" (3-5 I suppose) there were a couple of things that were just so f'ing obvious

1. If santa made all the toys then why did they have brand names on them? why even bother having toy stores if you get toys for free anyways? ect.

2. The north pole is cold. There's no way a massive complex could be built in sub zero temperatures thousands of miles away from anything without money (and apparently he didn't get any $ and gave away his product, a bad business model)

3. Time. It took 30 minutes to drive to my grandmas house and that wasn't even leaving the state.

4. the movies about santa didn't show how any of this was possible (the santa claus was BS, he only went to a few houses in is the USA only, the elves were making brand name toys ect.)

5. Everything unexplainable was "magic". if there really was magic then how come we had to goto school? why wasn't there more magical things other than a big fat guy who can deliver billions of toys in one night?

I'm going to stop now but you get the idea. If a kid can't see the logical impossibilities in the idea of santa by the time they get to school age, then there's probably something wrong. It's just common f'ing sense really, and for those who say "he represents blah blah the spirit of happiness giving" BS why do we need something to make us do that? If you don't have the decency to be decent on your own then that is also a problem.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join