It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News!!! NASA To disclose About a Finding on Extraterrestrial Life. FO

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
It's even worse then...they discovered this in the 90's, according to the 2008 article. I included a snippet from it in my post above.

So, basically, they are rehashing something we knew more than TEN YEARS AGO...

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Has anyone any idea if this is not just the same old same old?

Time of announcement? Channels? Will it be shown by media?
Anyone?

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
So what do we got here some alien microbe with Alzheimer?

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
NO aliens

Just how life adapts

More Bull of NASA

Study on the net since 2008

Bunch of Bull

NASA is just looking for funding again.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
NASA is dead to me.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
It was so BORING that FOX news cut it off .

And Cnn also cut it off and just asked the "science guy" and the SETI chick questions.

I think it was the way the young high school girl at the NASA conference was trying to explain the potatos in the lake and

her hair o and no make-up.

It was soooooo BORING.

A BIG POO POOO

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I don't understand... a news conference about a 2 year old discovery that might actuale be from the 90's?

This doesnt make any sense at all. I know NASA has been overhyping for awhile but why declare this to be life changing? Its not like there arent any theories that life could exist without Oxygen....

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I guess I was too harsh on her.

She was not that bad.

Life is....
edit on 2-12-2010 by The Coward because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Okay guys, the discovery of the microbes is old, yes, but what they have found after analyzing them for some time is not old. They knew that these things consumed arsenic, now they know that this microbe's DNA is MADE of arsenic! They have arsenic in their DNA where we have phosphorus in ours. This isn't simply differently arranged DNA, this is DNA made of an entirely different element from ours.

This is huge news. It opens up the possibilities of where we can find life on other planets. It forces us to admit that life can exist without the elements needed to comprise our own DNA. She is a young scientist and has the rest of her life to study these things, this is just the beginning. We should all be happy to be here to witness this discovery. As I said in another thread, we are watching the envelope of our current understanding be opened right now. She has changed the books.
edit on 12/2/2010 by SpaceJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Kind of makes you wonder if that guy claiming alien life in an ice meteorite might have had something but was overshadowed by this tripe NASA pulled out of its attic.
From what I hear the guy had the conference as planned but no one showed up.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJ

She as a young scientist ought to be smart enough to know that millions of guys will be watching her in their boxer shorts...

And she should be smart enough to put on some make-up and do her hair properly.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Its funny but the morning news here in New Zealand is making it out like its alien life found on earth (rather than it being just a new form of earth life that is alien in its biology compared to everything else terrestrial)... then again thats what they often do twist headlines and trump it up so you stay tuned... they did it a few days ago with a follow up about a death of a NZ woman on the London underground bombings a few years back, made it out like the medics killed her through negligence and then the actual news piece was the complete opposite...

Doesnt quite work when your viewer already knew what the announcement was about
... even in my own country news networks have become corrupted

As to NASA's announcement, didnt most of us already, given the the fact we've known about extremophiles for years now think that this was more than possible, or even a straight out fact of life... Its as if the establishment is behind the times and is slowly acclimatising it self to what the rest of us already think and believe... maybe eventual disclosure has nothing to do with getting the average citizen used to the idea, but is really a way of slowly bring the high ups in line instead.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   

They knew that these things consumed arsenic, now they know that this microbe's DNA is MADE of arsenic! They have arsenic in their DNA where we have phosphorus in ours. This isn't simply differently arranged DNA, this is DNA made of an entirely different element from ours.

This is important...but it really isn't much different than what the 2 year old article stated. The NASA article even uses some of the same images from the 2008 article, if I'm not mistaken...

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Blah! Barf on Nasa! I knew it as soon as I saw this thread on the front page of ATS last week. Anything with NASA in goes to the trash. Keeping us ignorant to whats real in the Universe is the game. I am hoping this 2012 thing leads to the main stream falling apart and the alternative taking control. As long as the internet and speech remain free , people will always be able to find out the truth from sites like ATS although sifting through a ton of crud to find a few true gems. Nasa is a lump of coal in the stocking again this year. Thumbs down but good effort OP and contributors.
DWT

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigfootNZ
Its funny but the morning news here in New Zealand is making it out like its alien life found on earth (rather than it being just a new form of earth life that is alien in its biology compared to everything else terrestrial)..

Well they did it over here in the The Netherlands too, They blew it up like, ET's cellphone finally made connection with the provider back home!

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I posted a link to the 2008 article on NASA's Facebook page...

Thing is, the discovery of life around the black smokers of the deep ocean pretty much redefined our thinking, in that life didn't have to exist as we know it. I think this was in the late 70's.

Then, in the 90's, we find bacteria that breathe arsenic. Now, the DNA angle is interesting, and I suppose it could be taken as "new" but really, that 2008 article stated pretty clearly that these bacteria evolved differently.

Seems occasionally you can trust The Sun or The Daily Examiner, hehe (as they leaked what the conference was going to be about)...

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Hmm... This was actually a bit worse then I thought it would be. I guess the interesting aspect to it is that the microbes could be used deal with arsenic that is man made. It seems like the played the ET card just to develop hype for the story. I am glad the USA today caller made a point to ask them what they thought of the public's expectation for a real ET announcement.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
The only way this is ET related is that the new findings open up new possibilities of way to find life outside of this planet. Area where we previously thought was impossible for life.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I posted a link to the 2008 article on NASA's Facebook page...
The thing that's strikingly absent from the 2008 article is the reference to arsenic in the DNA, but it does mention substitution elsewhere like ATP.

And even during today's announcement, the skeptic or "curmudgeon" (as he called himself) on the panel, is not convinced this organism is not "life as we know it" or not on the same tree of life, some of the more extraordinary claims made during today's announcement that he says do not have extraordinary evidence to back them up.....yet, but agrees it warrants further research to prove these claims one way or another.

So it's starting to look more like ALH84001, the Mars rock that MIGHT contain evidence of ET life, where over a decade later, the jury is still out on the question.

So I have to wonder if decades later the jury will still be out on the claim that the arsenic-tolerant microbe is not "life as we know it"? It seems the jury is still out as of today.

But regardless of the answer to that question, we can immediately expand our search for life elsewhere to include phosphorous-poor but arsenic-rich environments that may have otherwise been excluded as possibilities.

Regarding silicon-based lifeforms like the (fictional) Horte mentioned in the conference, I'm not quite sure how we'd look for those, but at least we can think more outside the box.
edit on 2-12-2010 by Arbitrageur because: fix typo

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

The bottom line is that we keep finding life in places where our pre-defined "rules" say it shouldn't exist. I'll go ahead and make the prediction that we'll eventually find out the Universe is TEEMING with life, even right here in our own solar system. Just wait until we're able to explore the ocean of Europa! I hope that happens in my lifetime...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join