It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Getting Evicted from Land for living "to simply"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+70 more 
posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Thompson faces eviction from his 38 acres in Madison County. The county lawyer tells 24-Hour News 8 it's because Thompson is breaking too many rules, laws and ordinances; Thompson has no water, no sewer and no electricity in his recreational trailer that he calls home.

Wishtv - Indianpolis Indiana

Seems this man is getting evicted for living to simply. Many people may come in here and say how unsafe it is, but who is he really hurting? His animals seem healthy enough to me. anyways if that was the issue they would be siting him for animal cruelty right?

So what's the problem then? you may ask? The city is getting virtually no money from the guy, and that breaks county ordnances. Just my opinion.

Note: the video has more information than the article.
edit on 1-12-2010 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
It's not safe anywhere anymore, is it? Not even on your own property. I think you're right: They aren't getting any money out of him. I suppose if he lived out in the woods, he'd be hauled off as well.

+27 more 
posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
actually the same thing happened to my grandparents.....

they have a ranch, and one night a sheriff's deputy went onto their property with NO warrant, and some BS story. After that some city officials went up there, trying to say it was unfit for humans to live there.

They had electricity, gas, but used an outhouse, ... they enjoyed the simple life.

Now they've had to build a whole new house out there, just to be left alone. What gives the city the right to tell people how to live on their own land ???

and to evict them from it !!!!! their own property !! how ludicrous is that ??? and where the hell was everyone when these laws were passed ??

+19 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
So the man has no children, his animals are healthy, and he's living that way of his own free will. I find it funny that it's not fit for human habitation when our ancestors lived without those things for hundreds of thousands of years. Heck, even today there are billions in the world who don't have those kinds of luxuries because that's what electricity, sewer, etc. actually are...luxuries, not necessities.

+69 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
So the man was deprived of Property without Due Process nor compensated for the loss of said Property.

Only in America.

Land of the Free my rear.

Why people put on our military uniform and fight for this country is beyond me. We are NOT a land of the free.

We have lost everything. Our ability to babble on the internet is the last thing we have left and it's about to go bye-bye.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by gnosticquasar

Totally agree with you.

Heck, there are times I wish i lived a simple life like that. maybe the county officials are just jealous of the guy, I know I am!

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
So now they have the right to punish you for not conforming to what they term ‘civilized society’?

I have already wanted to live that way and have begun to remove these irrelevant material things from my life. I work by candlelight, I don’t own a cell phone, I don’t use my television, and the only electricity I personally use is water, computer, and ac/heat.

I would love them to tell me I live too simply I would just have to laugh and ask them if they are serious. I couldn’t imagine being on that jury and hearing a case like that, “Your honor the defendant was found guilty of living too simply, we require he purchase unnecessary and expensive crap.”

If this wasn’t so asinine I would be furious.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Seems harsh in the Real World but this is becoming all too normal.

too bad.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst

where the hell was everyone when these laws were passed ??

Man oh man did you ask the 10 million dollar question! I've been asking that question a lot lately regarding everything!

This is a frightening reminder that through ordinances and taxes, no one in this country really owns ANYTHING! As of today, even growing a garden can be subject to governmental control. Motor Vehicle? Nope, gotta pay taxes and comply with rules in some form or fashion. Pets? Not really, have to pay licensing fees, maintain vaccinations by mandate. Now there are even rules about what light bulbs you can use!

USA, land of the free... pffft!

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
This is Agenda 21 business creeping in...

the way they have engineered our local municipalities to do this to people.

Very insidious and very wrong.

It is slow, and it is effective.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
So much for my plan on buying a large plot of land and disconnecting. I would probably have better luck finding a remote area of national forest to squat on.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Signed up and left a message as donttakehisland... What a horrible piece that TV reporter did!! I really pray that a higher court can help this man, I hope there is some smart attorney out there with a heart full of compassion for this man and his obviously loved animals. Maybe if he sues for harrasment or whatever, he can afford to have a septic, well, electricity and a brandnew home and barn built.

Bless this situation.

Also for all of the people who think when it all goes down you can just head to your bug out locations, this is something I have thought many times, you just may get kicked off of it.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
The sad thing is this is being done all over the country, and in just about every county.

Most of the time it just doesn't make the news.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by thewholepicture

Dick Thompson doesn't own that land, "the people" own that land.

Dick needs to learn that there is no such thing as private property in Amerika.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1
reply to post by thewholepicture

Dick Thompson doesn't own that land, "the people" own that land.

Dick needs to learn that there is no such thing as private property in Amerika.

Damn Right, When are the Sheople of "The United Corporations of Amerika", going to realize they no longer have any rights, and are subject to what ever the government tells them.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
You folks are saying that "man lived this way for thousands of years" but he is living in a recreational trailer, which if it's become a fixture on this property, would need basic requirements as noted by local law in order to be called a home.

They have likely made many offers to run water lines etc to this home to ensure that he has proper sanitation etc, and if he won't accept what has become the basic norms of modern society then it is time for him to move on or be moved.

There are basic legal requirements of being part of any society, and if he doesn't meet these, then he needs to face the consequences, whether or not it is his land.

If he owns the land then he likely also owes property taxes on it, which would give them every right to evict him if these haven't been paid.

Sorry folks, this is normal procedure, nothing nefarious here.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Florida had a similar thing going on with people who live on their boats and anchor out, thus not paying a marina for dockage. Volusia county(Daytona) was among the counties that tried to keep liveaboards out of their waters. It took a class action from many boat owners that made a law allowing the people to anchor anywhere for extended periods of time. Even with the law in place the local police will still try to find any reason to write tickets for liveaboards.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Both sad and infuriating.

Does anyone remember the story where an elderly man, who in his senile ways, forgot to pay the heating bill, or rather simply forgot how? No one ever came to check on him, no one from the utility company ever investigated the matter.

Elderly Man Freezes to Death in Home- Electricity Bill Owed

A 93 year-old man was found dead in his home days following a utility company’s restriction of his electricity due to unpaid bills. Wired PR News.com — The body of a 93-year-old Bay City, Michigan man was found by his neighbors on January 17th. As reported by the Associated Press (AP), Marvin E, Schur’s frozen body was discovered several days after his electricity had been turned off by Bay City Electric Light and Power Company. Schur owed the company almost $1,100.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Robert Belleman, manager of Bay City Electric Light and Power Company, is quoted in the report as stating he didn’t know if anyone has explained to the 93 year old how the limiter device works, but he didn’t feel the company had done anything wrong.

They simply shut him off because he hadn't paid.

He was found dead, frozen to death in his home, where he had tried to stay warm, bundled in an untold number of blankets.

Where are the sheriff's deputies knocking down the company's door for practicing unsafe policy? Where is the action?

This is the "safe civilized society" we are supposed to live in? They just want money. They want your conformity. They want everyone glued to the local news corporate lapdogs, so everyone can be constantly afraid and constantly turning the hamster wheel.

I guarantee half the cities in the US have roadways and bridges that are completely unsafe and do not meet code. What with all the stories of overpasses collapsing on motorists and crushing them to death. We don't live in a modern society. In fact, the US is waaayy farrr behind in basic amenities and infrastructure from the rest of the world. It's just the "capitalist" way, now gutted into a corporatist subservient culture, where only the most vulnerable are punished for anything. A single solitary man, trying to live alone on his own land.
edit on 1-12-2010 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst
What gives the city the right to tell people how to live on their own land ???

If the land is within city limits, that gives them the right.

Just because it's your land, doesn't mean you can do as you please. There are laws and ordanances that need to be followed in any society.

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

I sure didn't see them say anything about not paying property taxes.

And if you live on 32 acres far away from anyone else then why the hell don't you have the right to just simply live the way you want on the land, especially when it isn't effecting anyone.

Sure they probably offered to run the water lines, as long as he pays for them.

This is utter BS Nothing more, nothing less.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join