It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millions to lose unemployment benefits

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
[
I agree. I bet when benefits run out or expire, Americans will do ANY job to feed their families.

I have to ask though, what about the people who are applying for any possible job out there at McD's or Walmart or whereever, only to be told they are 'overqualified' because they had a $40K a year job previously? It's not that they don't want to work, it's that in those cases, I think perhaps the employers worry that down the road this person is going to ask for or demand benefits and raises that they simply don't want to provide.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ProvehitoInAltum

The truth is they don't want to hire them because they don't want them to leave when things are on the up and up... you know when there's a turnaround. At those places, they're probably thinking these people will make a play for their management positions as well, and let's face it they are smarter than the average McD's manager and when they say you are overqualified what they are really saying is they don't want the competition, they don't want mr mba taking their MCjob.
And right now here all you can get is temp/seasonal jobs at best.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
The "get a job" posts are brilliant... really.

Like nobody thought of that in their humiliation of
applying for unemployment extensions, standing in
line at the food cupboards, on the phone with the utilities,
trying to get them to hold off shutting off the electric,
and endless times waiting at the local job fairs, hoping for a chance to
get a decent job...

Have those compassionate people considered that perhaps
these people have also been deemed "overqualified" for a lot of
jobs?

I know a lot of people who have lied on their job applications to make themselves
"less" educated just to get something, ANYTHING, to be employed, and still didn't
get hired... because they looked "too" educated.

Education discrimination? That's a new one

It's a tough world out there, when one is up against teenagers who are willing
to work for peanuts, any hours... and they can fire them at the drop of a hat,
and have a new body immediately.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
To the OP: Thanks for the post
S&F but the title is misleading, there is a massive difference between hundreds of thousands and millions. Still thank you - just sayin.
PS: owe you an apology for not reading your article properly - will not edit this out and will show my shame publicly

To those clapping and cheering: Some of you are saying, good now they can stop sponging off the
government and the people's tax and get back to work or anything along those lines really need to get with reality. There is enough jobs out there for evereyone - this is because companies end up replacing people with machines to do our jobs as technology increases and with more and more restructuring during the recession alot of jobs are gone - often one person replaces 2 or 3, taking on more and more work as the companies streamlined for the storm.

There are lazy people out there, yes, but there are also people out there with medical conditions (physical & phycological), lack of employment available and those who can not afford the education to get the jobs that are available.

As these companies tighten their grip on the wallet they are actually just choking the economy - if people were still in jobs and the income was more evenly dispersed then more people would be buying things which then provides the companies with more money it is that simple - I am almost tempted to say you don't have recession until someone cries recession - the money just goes around and around, inflating but still going round - it is not until people panic that you are in trouble.

Now the companies hire less people, replace people with more machines and technology and that means people needing a job are increasingly becoming support etc for that technology which in turn means they need to upskill, the problem is upskilling costs and the average person is finding harder and harder to pay for education because the companies are not giving bonuses, benefits or even a decent wage anymore - I am blown away to see taxi drivers who hold PHD's in a whole range of education yet can not get a job so they drive a cab... which then forces the uneducated people who once drove cabs with the option of upskilling for the lucky few can afford it, change of industry - if they can find somthing or being jobless.
This is where we are heading and the sooner we realise it is not the unemployed peoples fault the sooner we can fix the issues that will eventually plague 90% of us.
edit on 21-11-2010 by byteshertz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Yet our administration saw it fit to bail out failed banks by a tune of over one trillion dollars. Do you have any idea what that amount of money would line the pockets of every alive American today?

Where would it do the most good?

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

I call this a very bias and unfair report on the part of Iran, which is no better to its people. The report does not go into details as to the choices that are having to be made or the root causes of such. Is there a large number of unemployed people in the country, yes, and the military budget has absolutely nothing to do with if the federal government can afford to keep paying for them or not. The reality is that the unemployment was never ment to support for long term, rather it was a temp band aid for when a person lost their job. The incentive was for a person to go out and get a job, and take any job that pays to get back on their feet. Perhaps if the report given was fair and unbias it would be valid, just rather it is just the same old rhetoric from Iran. Not crediable or valid.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth

Originally posted by nite owl
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

I agree with you. Also, some kind of intervention must be done. Maybe when nations get sick and tired enough they all will rise up to stand against the oppressors. So far, america is asleep. No wonder they call U.S the sleeping GIANT. Sleeping Giant of Sheeple.

America is like juggernaut from the x-men it takes alot to get him going but once he starts watch out. History has shown this over and over again.
edit on 20-11-2010 by Subjective Truth because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-11-2010 by Subjective Truth because: (no reason given)

Can someone please QUICKLY wake him up??

Otherwise he will pass away in his current comatose state ...... and no-one is even noticing the coming flatline ...

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
majority of the people commenting on this thread are the reason why our country is #...you and your welfare bull# and credit card debt. come on people grow up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we are the reason why things are # and none of you can admit it.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism

Millions to lose unemployment benefits

presstv.com

In eleven days, 800,000 people will lose all their benefits and by the end of the year, 2 million people will join their ranks, a Press TV correspondent reported on Saturday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

And yet all those right wingers will continue to vote republican. How much sense does that make?

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by johngrissom
majority of the people commenting on this thread are the reason why our country is #...you and your welfare bull# and credit card debt. come on people grow up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we are the reason why things are # and none of you can admit it.

Why is it that when people get unemployment it is "welfare" and when banks steal our personal wealth it is "stimulating the economy"? Just askin'.

edit on 22-11-2010 by romanmel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I'm sorry to say but if you are unemployed for two whole years then you either (1) Are not looking hard enough or (2) your perceived value/skills are no longer in demand. If your job was sent over seas that means quite simply you and your skill set are easily replaced. If you owned a business (I own several) why would you pay double even triple when you can get it done for a fraction of the cost?

I'll give you an example....I own and operate several online shopping sites, when I started I wanted very badly to give the job of building the website and back-end to a local (Pittsburgh) web design company. After lining up several interviews and receiving 3 quotes for the work I had prices from $ 15,000- $40,000. I forgot to mention that two of the guys showed up LATE for our meeting and one didn't return my initial call for 3 days! One of the firms was started by 3 very bright guys from CMU, not dummies. This was far more than I wanted to spend and decided to use Elance, a company that allows designers and programmers to bid on your job from all over the world. Long story short I had a graduate from IIT (makes our MIT look like kiddy school) design the site for $6,000 and include a 2 year warranty and free upgrades.

My advice to you:
1. create your own wealth
2. Get an education worth a #$%^
3. Don't ever assume your skills are irreplaceable
4. Don't buy into 90% of the BS you read on this site (BTW have been coming here since it was a flat black page with links to cool underground sites)
5. Misery loves company
6. Start listening and taking advice from doers rather than the naysayers
7. Update your skill set and move to where the JOBS are
8. If you didn't see this coming after year one of unemployment then you are too #$%^ dumb to be in a competitive work environment anyhow
9. If I were a betting man I would bet there are plenty of JOBS in your area (none ow which are exactly what you are looking for but will keep the wolf away from the door)
10. I worked three jobs while building my business ( I had a consulting business, I stocked shelves from 11pm to 3am and had a car detailing business) I also have an MBA
11. Get off your ass and quit coming to sites like this to piss and moan.
12. My father took FREE classes at night at a local college to learn business and built one of the largest steel fabrications businesses in the country (started there in 9th grade)
13. Sick of the Union mentality of this country. Guess what there are hundreds of thousands of hard workin' mexicans that will do it fora fraction of the price (with a smile on their face) no coffee breaks, no union mandated break, no BS just hard work.
14. Get off your ASS....I dont feel one bit sorry for you.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

You just made my point not yours.

It is about where you live. Meaning population, type of jobs available, travel distance to jobs, open areas for new places of business to be built.

I live in a place that is relatively cheap to live in compared to many other places. The reason is that it is the central U.S. This makes it cheap because people want to live in places with beaches and where there are mountains or whatever. Businesses love it here because it is centralized with shipping. No shipping across the full country when you can ship half way. This area has access to barge transport (Mississippi River), rail transport, truck transport, and even air transport.

So there are plenty of places that set up business here. Granted you will have to work a bit harder and long hours but the pay is considered good for the area. In fact plenty of these places are looking for help now, even the place where I work is looking to bring in more people. They are expanding (brought in new customers with a signed contract for years at a certain purchase). They are hiring a lot, the thing is you have to work a lot of hours and the shifts rotate (day and night).

The problem around here is a lot of people do not want to work. If I have to feed my family I will work this job until I die if I need to. I do not really want to be doing it, there are plenty more things I would love to do and even have education for. Those things pay around what I make now, but they are not looking to fill positions. Out of our last batch of new hires I believe only a few will stick it out a year. Already several have shown up late repeated times, only a few of them show any part of wanting to work the rest just drag around doing as little as possible and learning nothing.

My logic is sound. I know as I am living it. I see it daily. There are plenty of cheap places to live that have very good paying jobs. The problem is that the work is harder or dirtier than most want to do. A lot think they deserve better or are too good to do labor work. When it comes to feeding yourself or family though there is no job that you are too good to do. I would sift through garbage if I had to, to get paid so that I could feed my family.

The problem is a state that has attracted a large population which is exactly what I was talking about. You say you are in Florida. That is an expensive state to live in (once your tourisms slows or stops). Many want to live there it is warm there are beaches relatively close by, people go there to retire. You have a flooded job market.

Raist

edit on 11/22/10 by Raist because: spelling

edit on 11/22/10 by Raist because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

Originally posted by thecinic
Unemployment benefits are not a right.....

How do you expect people to live?

Easy make something... then sell it...

Come on folks, this is EASY!

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProvehitoInAltum
I do marvel at the 'get a job' posts.

As do I, because getting a job is NOT the road to financial independence... It simply isn't...

Produce something... now there is a way to generate more revenue then you ever thought possible...

Cast your net wider, not smaller...

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Maybe I’m giving a bit too much credit to those pulling the strings, but I see what is happening to the US and in other areas of the world as the final strokes of a 25-or-so-year plan coming to fruition.

We were sold by the mainstream media that globalization was the way to go. Open those borders to our goods produced and we’ve got expanded markets everywhere.

Nice theory if the markets to which your stuff is now opened can actually afford the stuff you make.

The flip side that didn’t get much media play was the fact that just as we’re open to new markets, so too are they.

What got even less play was the fact that those pulling the strings here would now get to ship the manufacturing jobs we had to create the stuff we were supposed to sell to them would be sent where the labor costs were lower, the government restrictions did not exist, where things such as health, safety and environmental laws were virtually non existent and where inputs could be had at virtually pennies on the dollar compared to costs here.

Pretty quickly the tables turned, unfortunately well after there was anything we could do about it.

Now, they’ve got the manufacturing base and unfettered access to us as a market for their goods.

The only consistent throughout this is that those pulling the strings – those who had the wealth to begin with – are getting richer.

In all of this, and as part of what I believe is ‘the plan’, in order to get those jobs and the manufacturing base back here, they’ve got three choices:

1. Bring the standard of living in the current manufacturing countries up to that of the western world.
2. Eliminate the current manufacturing countries thus requiring the manufacturing to come back here with goods priced at whatever the market dictates.
3. Bring the expectations and standard of living in the western world down to that of the current manufacturing countries and re-establish the manufacturing base.

Well, we all know that they won’t let the first option happen as that would eat into the profit base of the muckity-mucks. The second option won’t happen as the powers that be don’t much want to destroy their infrastructure already developed. Plus, in a short time, the inhabitants of those countries will be their markets, so they don’t want to mess with that.

I truly believe that the current malaise in which the western world finds itself is the manifestation of point three . . . they’re deflating the system in preparation for a rebuild so they can start the cycle again. People are forced to learn to live with next to nothing, in make-shift housing, living on less and leaning down in terms of spending because they simply don’t have the money to live at the standard that existed when this whole ‘globalization’ thing started.

So, if two or three million people are on the outside looking in by year’s end, the rich folk don’t much give a rat’s ass because it isn’t going to affect them one little bit. In so doing, they’ve yet again diminished expectations to the point where those once earning $50,000 a year will now learn how to live making $20,000 at some menial part-time job. They’ll scrape and scramble to survive and to keep at least a few of the trappings of their previous existence only to see them slip away in favor of just having enough to put food on the table. (We’ve all seen the ‘warning’ stories on the upcoming increase in food prices . . . have we not?)

We’ve been condition to expect it, and accept it when it happens because there really isn’t much going on by the masses most affected by this to make a change. We're in the Please sir, may I have another mode.

The same people get elected, the same parties pander to the rich and the same people feeling the affects of all of it cling in huddled masses waiting for the other shoe to drop. The same greedy bastards get away with economic genocide in favor of a few more dollars in their safe havens and We the Sheeple (me included) really don't do much about it besides sit and wait for a slap on the other ass-cheek.

And, rest assured, that 'other shoe' is coming . . . just look at what’s happening with the US dollar. When that implodes, the destruction of the western way of life will be complete and the 'rebuild' will begin albeit slowly. Throw in a couple of wars along the way, some pandemic type things, a wee bit of starvation and us killing eachother to survive and the herd will be culled sufficiently.

The two or three million people who will be on the outside looking in are just another wave in the inevitable . . . that you can bank on.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raist
reply to post by ldyserenity

You just made my point not yours.

It is about where you live. Meaning population, type of jobs available, travel distance to jobs, open areas for new places of business to be built.

NO NOT AT ALL.... YOU ARE WRONG!

Why is it that everyone who needs revenue thinks getting a job has anything to do with it? Sure, it prolly requires the least effort of everything when it comes to generating revenue... It's great for the lazy...

However, getting a job is simply low hanging fruit.... stop thinking that way... YOU DONT NEED A JOB! YOU NEED REVENUE!!!

The biggest conspiracy in todays world is assuming that you need a job in order to get revenue.

WAKE UP PEOPLE!

edit on 22-11-2010 by HunkaHunka because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

You call it lazy if you wish.

I call it understanding reality. Not everyone can own a business. Not everyone can do certain types of work. Not everyone has the potential to do things to become rich.

I do not have a skill or knowledge that would allow me to produce something people want. I have not had the idea for anything that people would want that is already not easily available from another cheaper than I can do it for. That is simply speaking for myself. You can rest assured there are others with even less skill or knowledge than I have.

As for being rich….What is that exactly? What is rich enough? Am I rich if I live happily with my family without worrying about things like finances? Or is it better to just not have the large bills (car payment, house payment, school loans)?

Financially independent? Again, what makes a person be financially independent? What if I have everything paid off but want more yet cannot afford it? I would not be financially independent if that is the case because I would still be wanting more.

I think the problem again is the greed and selfishness that has taken hold of a great deal of Americans, or even people worldwide.

I live comfortably. I might not have the biggest house or best cars or even money to leave on a trip any time I chose. I do live a happy life with a wife and son I love. A wife that I can trust without question at that. To me that is far better than a large portion of those claiming to be better off than I am. You call it lazy all you wish. I call it reality.

Raist

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raist
reply to post by HunkaHunka

You call it lazy if you wish.

I call it understanding reality.

Reality is wholly subjective... believe me, I've been there...

Not everyone can own a business. Not everyone can do certain types of work. Not everyone has the potential to do things to become rich.

First off, yes everyone can own a business... open an account, call it Joe's Umpty Squat, and now you are a sole proprietor... though I would recommend becoming an LLC, as it really does limit your personal liability.

I do not have a skill or knowledge that would allow me to produce something people want.

You can't make sweet tea? You can't clean a floor? You can't paint a house?

Wow... I'm amazed your able to type on a forum!

I have not had the idea for anything that people would want that is already not easily available from another cheaper than I can do it for. That is simply speaking for myself. You can rest assured there are others with even less skill or knowledge than I have.

Ok, your attitude is EXACTLY the problem I am speaking of... see you envision a business owner as someone who has a genius idea and runs with it....

No, it's much simpler than that... believe me.

I don't even know you but I bet you have the skills to buy clothes from the goodwill in the rich part of town and sell them on ebay for a 75% mark up....

And that's much more complex than really what you need...

As for being rich….What is that exactly? What is rich enough? Am I rich if I live happily with my family without worrying about things like finances? Or is it better to just not have the large bills (car payment, house payment, school loans)?

My definition of rich is simply financial independence... It doesn't require a specific amount of money, because your overhead could be anything really...

Financially independent? Again, what makes a person be financially independent? What if I have everything paid off but want more yet cannot afford it? I would not be financially independent if that is the case because I would still be wanting more.

Financial independence for me has nothing to do with want. Want is also very subjective, it has to do with need, which is based on your overhead.

I think the problem again is the greed and selfishness that has taken hold of a great deal of Americans, or even people worldwide.

I disagree and believe its the opposite... people aren't selfish or greedy enough. If they were, we wouldn't be a country of consumers... we'd be a country of producers....

I live comfortably. I might not have the biggest house or best cars or even money to leave on a trip any time I chose. I do live a happy life with a wife and son I love. A wife that I can trust without question at that. To me that is far better than a large portion of those claiming to be better off than I am. You call it lazy all you wish. I call it reality.

Raist

You are mixing two things.... if you are able to live comfortably and don't need a job, then I'd say you are where I'm talking about being...

However, if you are denying things you would rather do, or dreams you would rather chase that's another thing....

When I say Lazy, I'm talking about those people who believe they have to get a job in order to generate revenue... those who complain they can't make money because there are no jobs.... that is just utter manure...

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
reply to post by oozyism

I bet i could start a thread on the easter bunny, and you would find a way to bring Afghanistan into it...

Are you suggesting Afghanistan has nothing to do with the current situation America is facing?

Do you think invading + occupying countries is cheap?

Ooz has a point we have fought this war I think enough "payback" has been issued that is costing billions upon billions and still american lives... The soldiers I think have had enough of this its going on 10 years of war. I have grown up in this war era and i'm sick of it... If you can join the military that is way us *poor* people can get back on our feet, sounds sick doesn't it... The unemployment benefits just can't be extended more it has already been expanded into oblivion you can't give people money if there is none left... Now you support them just *printing* more money so YOUR KIDS AND THERE KIDS WILL BE MORE IN DEBT SHAME ON YOU!!!

PS. Id lick boots for third in power in communist america sad though that someone WOULD KILL for 3rd though I guesse I wouldn't be able to just lick boots for it.
edit on 22-11-2010 by thecinic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by thecinic

Afghanistan has zero to do with the unimaginative (read unemployed) in America... this is a cultural issue. One which has to do with Americans being taught to believe that one must have a job in order to generate revenue...

It is simply an attitude issue... if you read Adam Smith you will realize this... but then again, so many people are uninformed as it relates to economics....

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join