It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millions to lose unemployment benefits

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

It is simply an attitude issue... if you read Adam Smith you will realize this... but then again, so many people are uninformed as it relates to economics....

True.

This economy revolves around monster corporate powers that confer wealth (and life) via "jobs."

A successful alternative economy would not allow or support such a consolidation of wealth or cultural power, or require people to have "jobs" to get money to feed the monster.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I used to work at chili's bar in grill (this was back in 2002 to 2004), the one thing I noticed while working there is that many people would apply for cook jobs, but would not be hired.

Why? Because they did not speak Spanish.

Yet: the cooks that were there did not speak English what so ever.

I'm sure this kind of thing is happening everywhere and not just at our chili's.

So, Yes we are losing our jobs to non americans.

Oh and I also forgot to mention, these workers would often send more than half of there paychecks back to mexico.
edit on 22-11-2010 by thewholepicture because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

It is simply an attitude issue... if you read Adam Smith you will realize this... but then again, so many people are uninformed as it relates to economics....

True.

This economy revolves around monster corporate powers that confer wealth (and life) via "jobs."

A successful alternative economy would not allow or support such a consolidation of wealth or cultural power, or require people to have "jobs" to get money to feed the monster.

See, here's the thing.. that stance is still a control of the external system stance... and I'm telling you it doesn't matter.

The only thing that needs to change is peoples mindsets... they need to get out of the "I can't do that" mentality and into the "Why can't I?" mindset...

Just check out Edison...

After his teacher called him retarded at age 8, he was taken out of school. His mother—who also was a schoolteacher—taught him to read and write. Edison also read his father's books to learn the scientific method and how to think analytically.

At age 12, Edison began a job on the railroad, hawking snacks and newspapers. His interest in chemistry led him to set up an experiment area in a baggage car corner.
Publishes newspaper

In 1861, the American Civil War started. The war did not seem to affect young Edison's life.

In 1862, at age 15, Edison published and printed his own newspaper on the train and sold it to the passengers. Showing his sense for business, he opened two small stores, hiring other boys to run them.

You see... it's the mindset... not the mind

We all have a wonderful tool in our imaginations, which allows us to see opportunities if only we dare to use it...

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Originally posted by soficrow

True.

See, here's the thing.. that stance is still a control of the external system stance... and I'm telling you it doesn't matter.

The only thing that needs to change is peoples mindsets... they need to get out of the "I can't do that" mentality and into the "Why can't I?" mindset...

Just check out Edison...

After his teacher called him retarded at age 8, he was taken out of school. His mother—who also was a schoolteacher—taught him to read and write. Edison also read his father's books to learn the scientific method and how to think analytically.

At age 12, Edison began a job on the railroad, hawking snacks and newspapers. His interest in chemistry led him to set up an experiment area in a baggage car corner.
Publishes newspaper

In 1861, the American Civil War started. The war did not seem to affect young Edison's life.

In 1862, at age 15, Edison published and printed his own newspaper on the train and sold it to the passengers. Showing his sense for business, he opened two small stores, hiring other boys to run them.

You see... it's the mindset... not the mind

We all have a wonderful tool in our imaginations, which allows us to see opportunities if only we dare to use it...

Not true at all not everyone is an edison or einstine your mindset is flawed into thinking EVERYONE can be a doctor or lawyer a edison or einstine or INVENT something now in this day and age that has not been invented or is not pushed by a made for tv ass hole
edit on 22-11-2010 by thecinic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by thecinic

No your mindset is flawed into thinking otherwise...

we are humans.... we adapt... we all have that capability, though many of us are limited by our imaginations and sense of authority...

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   

we are humans.... we adapt... we all have that capability, though many of us are limited by our imaginations and sense of authority...

You give false hope if everyone could invent as edison could or be as smart as einstine or be a doctor or lawyer then they would be a dime a dozen like someone who cleans toilets... NOT EVERYONE can be a doctor or lawyer even if THEY REALLY REALLY wanted to.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by nite owl

Aww. It turns out that UNION you joined that taught you that MANUFACTURING SKILL and promised you BIG PENSION PLANS and CADILLAC INSURANCE as long as you pay your dues took your money, did nothing to prevent the inequalities in NAFTA, forced business' into unsustainable benefits programs, and now tells you tough luck, there's no work. Oh and if you want to keep your card, you still have to pay your dues even though you're not working.

So the MANUFACTURING SKILL that was supposed to keep you working your entire life is not needed anymore. Maybe you shouldn't of put all your HOPE for the future on ONE VERY NARROW SKILL. It's not like manufacturing techniques and technology have been changing at the blink of an eye for the last 20 years. And now you have to LEARN A NEW SKILL to make YOURSELF RELEVANT in the WORK FORCE.

BOO-HOO.

Oh, the CAPS are there to show that other people can use the Caps lock too!
edit on 22-11-2010 by indianajoe77 because: add

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   

In case you didn't notice, the big bad Repubs that were just elected ARE NOT IN OFFICE YET. The same folks that have been running things for 2 years do so until sometime in January when the NEWLY ELECTED are sworn in.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by nite owl

There's a falacy. YOU DO NOT NEED GOOD CREDIT TO GET STUDENT LOANS TO GO TO SCHOOL! They are backed by the government in case of default. Essentially, Uncle Sam is your co-signer.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Regardless of how you work to get your income you are still working. If you are providing a service to people (selling clothes, mowing lawns, painting houses, what have you) you are still an employee.

You are your own boss on whether or not you work that day, but if you chose to take too many days off others will not hire you or use your service. So regardless you still work for others no matter the service.

No matter if I sell clothes on eBay at a 75% markup I still need that as my job in order to get income to feed my family.

So back to the average worker type of thing. Someone has to do these production jobs in the U.S. now or nothing will be produced. If someone does not make that car part at a plant here in the U.S. someone in another country will leaving one more person without an income. If someone here does not tend the live stock and butcher said live stock, someone in another country will. It is fine and dandy to say sell this on eBay or paint houses but there are others who will undercut you, heck there are people mowing lawns now for $20 a pop. Thing is painting is seasonal work and can only be done if not raining. If the weather is not right you do not get paid.

Selling clothes on eBay great, but eBay takes its cut as well. Also what happens when you have stock that is not selling and has done nothing but cost you. Selling things on eBay is a risky ordeal to undertake. One day things are selling the next you are stocked with things that have grown stagnant. Most things sold on eBay are yesterdays fashions. Most people buying clothes are into the latest fashions and want the new stuff themselves. Supply and demand takes place. Sure you will have some who need cheap clothes and that is their best bet, but why spend the money on eBay clothes that are out of fashion and still more costly than some of the cheaper places someone looking for cheap clothes buy sell them for.

Not knocking what you are saying, but there is another saying that says someone has to do it. If I can make a better living working in a factory than I can painting houses and selling clothes or whatever service in my area I am going to do that. If I can mow lawns all summer and take the winter off and still make more I will do that.

It is about providing the best “decent” life for my family that I care about. I am not looking to get rich nor do I really want to travel in any way that uses the air any longer (unless it is private jet) because of the TSA stuff. I will drive to places I wish to go so I get better quality time with my family any way. Also as far as that goes time with family is about quality not quantity (not saying you are saying any different).

I have an education that could lead me to a pay of what I make now if not a little better with some more education down the road. The problem is hiring in those areas are not that great. So I stick with what gives my family a good quality of life until I can get better for me with the same for my family.

Raist

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by thecinic

You give false hope if everyone could invent as edison could or be as smart as einstine or be a doctor or lawyer then they would be a dime a dozen like someone who cleans toilets... NOT EVERYONE can be a doctor or lawyer even if THEY REALLY REALLY wanted to.

Everyone has the ability to be industrious and ingenuitive... it is part of your birth right as a human...

the only false hope is to hope for a messiah or superman from outside of yourself... it's all within

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

I have no formal education... I simply say "I want that" and Then I make it happen...

I don't need a job for that...

The master in the art of living makes little distinction between his work and his play, his labor and his leisure, his mind and his body, his information and his recreation, his love and his religion. He hardly knows which is which. He simply pursues his vision of excellence at whatever he does, leaving others to decide whether he is working or playing. To him he's always doing both.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   

That is where mine and your interests in what an interesting job would be. I would love to investigate crime and help to put criminals away. I love to learn about law and would love to use that. Again though, I have to get a bit more education for that to finish off and even then getting a job at that point is still difficult.

Until then the job I have allows me for a half a month of free time every month. I work swing shifts and only 15 days a month. I get plenty of time to follow up on my interests. After I get one part of my education paid for I will follow up with more.

I do need an income for that.

No matter what you are doing, if you are providing a service to people you have a job. If you fail to provide a service or decide to go off and party you are not going to have an income.

Raist

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

Not exactly... I have a friend who went out partying looking for success, and decided to create a drink which removes hangovers... up until then he just partied and made connections with successful business people who were also spending a lot of time partying....

He had nothing when he started out except for a decent wardrobe a nice personality and a penchant for partying...

Now he has an entire company which he got investment from his friends he met partying.

You see, the key thing is to throw out anything you were ever told about "what you have to do" in order to be successful. Second, figure out what you really like doing and just do that... sometimes getting a job helps you figure out what you would rather be doing.

Then, you say "How can I profit from this" at every juncture.... every juncture....

Personally I do the things you mention, though I do it in the cyber arena.... I have no education and just sat in my room playing with my computer as a youth.... now I'm a hacker for hire... work from my house, get up when I want, etc...

I wasn't able to do this until I finally said "What I want is to sit around all day and enjoy life, any effort I put forward I want to love 100% else I wont do it"

Once I allowed myself to realize I could actually do that, it became real...

but it's the first part... the mindset which is really the most difficult

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

Okay but that still doesn't take from the fact that most people living in expensive places usually have a better job market. Florida is cheap when compared to NJ where I am from and Pennsylvania where I lived for several years before moving here. The reason we moved here is because it was cheaper.
Me I don't get unemployment as it is a right to work state and being fired disallows for collecting unejoyment, so you bet your behind I will do whatever job is available, even tried to get farm work... but you're right a lot of people want to move here. Though this year we have seen more people leave than what have moved into FL. And that's something we haven't as a state seen for something like decades I think they said on the news. Of course they don't count the illegals, though. Anyway what I was simply saying is NY NJ and PA As I have checked have by far much more jobs available and they are paying higher than almost anywhere. We're thinking of moving back and when we go for christmas I am flooding the job market with apps while there. And if I get hired you better beleive I will be staying.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Well I am afraid we will have to disagree on things. However, if it works for you so be it. Hopefully it continues well.

I on the other hand have a wife and son. I do not think just leaving a job and sitting around or partying or anything that is not bringing in income instantly will help my family. I stand by making sure they are well above any wish or desire I could ever have.

Like I said though if things work for you great. I cannot prove your life is any worse than mine or visa versa or even that one is happier than the other. Besides that is just showmanship that has nothing to do with the thread anyway.

I will stick with working. I do not mind it and believe it is healthy.

Raist

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

You could always come to Missouri. So long as you do not have felony background you could get a job where I work.

If not there then there are plenty of other places around starting at more or around the same pay, depending on what sort of labor you want to do. Like I said before many places like to set up here because of the ease of shipping to other states.

I might not love my job but it pays the bills and allows for free time with my family.

Raist

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

We dont have to disagree at all, I said that partying was HIS passion... I said merely follow whatever it is you would rather be doing... and learn how to profit off of it... thats all....

For you it may be something completely different...

Now he didn't have a family, and like you said, different strokes for different folks...

But the one thing which is the truest... is that no matter your situation, you can always choose either an revenue generating activity that you love or one that you hate or will eventually, it's always up to you... and employment has nothing to do with it :-)

I too have a family.. and two children.... which is exactly why I make the choices I do in my own life, because if I wasn't generating revenue doing that which I loved, and in my case, this allows me to have as much free time as I wish.... I wouldn't be able to spend so much time with them all...

I'd be commuting into a job that though paid for a life may not itself be all that much of one....

I live life to my fullest, and all around me benefit... that's pretty much how it goes.

But each person has different things which ignite them... thats for sure...
edit on 22-11-2010 by HunkaHunka because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
This will make the unemployment rate come down. Not getting paid to sit home anymore? Time to stop feeling sorry for yourself and get a job.
You never answered my question. hey, come on now, not all of us live in the basement at mom and dads. Lets get a grip here.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
You were born with wings. Why prefer to crawl through life? - Rumi

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join