It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jon Stewart actually called Obama "Dude"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Curiousisall

Originally posted by jibeho
I guess I am a bad guy for thinking Stewart should have called him Mr. President. Too Funny.

Dude Thanks!

Maybe you are just a bad guy because anyone who has posted and/or lurked here for even a week knows you have no respect for the office as long as Obama is sitting in it. The sentiment may not be a bad one but the clear lack of sincerity from the expressing host is what taints it.

It comes across much like the wife beater who becomes enraged at percieved disrespect by a third party towards their own wife. Usually this kind of attitude is born out of a jealous, narcisistic, possesiveness. "You do not love her or know her so you cannot abuse her like I can." I think it is almost kind of cute to see your real passion come out here on this ATS sponsored blog.

Oohh getting personal huh? The topic isn't about me or is it? First you dig deep into my posts and now this. Let it out, its ok. And you are also a psychologist as well. Isn't that special. I almost feel like you are stalking me. Must be my narcissistic personality coming out.

Yes I respect the office. I just don't respect the man who redecorated it. I still wouldn't call him dude!! I might say something like Mr. President, I think your policies will be detrimental to our nation or Mr. President I think you are an !@#$%&# for pushing Obamacare on the nation. BTW Mr. President, I just found out that my current Cadillac healthcare plan is being dropped by my employer. I am now forced into an 80/20 plan, my deductibles, out of pocket and co pays just increased and I will be paying an extra $70 a month for less coverage. All because of the looming new Obamacare fees and taxes that will be placed on employers and taxpayers. Thanks, Mr. President.

Oh this is rich. Let me guess you saw ATS pop up on facebook and you thought it looked neat.
edit on 28-10-2010 by jibeho because: typo

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Respect is a two way street. Since it has become apparent that government no longer fears and thus no longer finds a need to respect the people whom they serve, I implore of you why you find the need to show respect back. You have your boss/employee relationship backwards as we are ultimately the source from which his salary is funded along with every other politician in office. It just pales in comparison to the kickbacks that corporate America gifts them hence the conflict of interest.

If people stopped treating these appointed offices with such reverence, maybe they wouldn't feel quite so untouchable.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

fruity california valley girls

Always nice to have prejudices on an area based on a movie. I would go as far to say the rest of your post annoyed me with all the elipses than anyone saying dude. I'm sure there are lots of people who say dude too much, but my guess would be if the word dude didn't exist, something else would just take its place. I find the whole "you know what I'm saying" thing after every other sentence massively more annoying myself.

Its probably a generational thing, but dude is most definitely a form of endearment now, at least among the people I know. However, Stewart and Obama are not of my generation and it did seem a bit odd to have someone Stewart's age saying dude, but I certainly didn't think he used it in a disrespectful manner.

Absolutely silly.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
So, people should be offended by the usage of the word dude in respects to Obama?
I don't see the problem, no one on my campus seems to give a rat's ass..... and it's a comedy program. Obama knew what he was getting into when he agreed to appear on the show. The entire point of that show is satire and to take jabs at our super serious news and government.

I would call President Obama dude in a heartbeat in an informal meeting. Stewart wasn't having a serious interview, so why should the "hip" president be stood up on his little pedestal when he tries so desperately to relate to the citizenry by appearing on a comedy show?

You can say Sir and Ma'am to teachers, bosses, and so forth, but this kind of interview is meant to show familiarity and the openness of the President. Using the occasional slang helps opens up the conversation and allows the president come off as more human and create the illusion of being just "one of us guys", in my opinion.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Well, that's certainly better than I what I like to call him. I think 8 years of people Bush bashing to my face has made me realize it's me who's out of touch, as it's perfectly okay to yell profanities at/to/about the POTUS.

Why do I call the POTUS what I do? Liberals... I learned it by watching them

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Try calling your boss "dude" and see what happens. Or call a college professor "dude" and see how they like it.

Calling somone "dude" IS disrespectful and unprofessional. I've learned this the hard way, duders

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Lol! Ya gotta love John Stewart!

And before he became the dignified, powerful person that he is, Obama was a Dude. He's still a Dude.

He's like, the main Dude. lol. I love it, and I'm so sorry I missed it!

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Thanks for reminding me that there were no gasps of shock or dismay at Sarah Palin so proudly announcing that she calls her husband "The First Dude" of Alaska. I cannot believe people would have supported a woman who would so proudly insult her own husband with such a detestable term as "dude."

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Thanks for reminding me that there were no gasps of shock or dismay at Sarah Palin so proudly announcing that she calls her husband "The First Dude" of Alaska. I cannot believe people would have supported a woman who would so proudly insult her own husband with such a detestable term as "dude."

Meh. I guess it's just a matter of personal perception. I don't find the word in the least offensive.
Younger kids have used it heavily in addressing both genders.

Actually I think it's on it's way out as a trendy term. At least the use of it appears to be declining in my area.
It's a little passe.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
The president is just a man in a political position. He will get the same respect/disrespect as any other citizen in this country.....
Unless you are in uniform that is

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
dude I saw it and got a good laugh, yeah but seriously though
edit on 28-10-2010 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pimpish
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

Always nice to have prejudices on an area based on a movie.

...the fruity cali valley girl dialect existed LONG before whoopi did her skit about it and LONG before any movie included it...

Originally posted by Pimpish
I would go as far to say the rest of your post annoyed me with all the elipses than anyone saying dude.

...gosh, little dots and dashes annoy you, huh?... wow, thats gotta suck... did you know theres this handy dandy little button that allows you to ignore posters that get on your nerves?... i've never used ignore - think its shallow - but - thats just me... it might be exactly what you need... i wont take offense, i promise...

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
Now like him or not Obama is still our Commander in Chief. One may not respect the man, me included, but you must respect the office.

Now, I think you have that backwards.

The office must respect the people.
The government belongs to us, not the other way around.

The man, is still, just a man, and humans are subject to flaws.

His term is not over yet, so in consideration his actions will determine respect or otherwise.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Wow.

I cannot believe that ANY of you have a problem with this.

Disrespectfull? He's on comodey central for god sakes.

When is American gonna stop being a little prude about ridiculous non issues?

I mean honestly does it matter what he called him? Does it REALLY MATTER TO YOU?!

How does this affect you? How does it affect the state of affairs in the country if somebody refered to him as dude?

What do you think that his wife refers to him as Mr. President all day? His children?

The man isn't a god, he's the President, and deserves no more respect than you or I. He's a human being whose no more special than we are. The problem with our society is that we started this ridiculous idea that those in office are somehow better than we are and should be treated differently.

Then again, there's nothing Obama can actually do that people won't complain about. It's the same thing with any politician these days.

Grow up folks, this is a non issue.

~Keeper

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Reply to post by jibeho

Jon is a comedian, and is try to be relaxed and casual. Using the word dude is a sign of being casual. Obama is just another man.. Grow up dude!!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Nice try but that is totally irrelevant- she is married to the man for one and secondly he is not the President of the United States- but kudos for getting in a little Palin bashing in a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with her!!

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Judging by some of the comments some of you would not only go as far as to call him dude, but call him a word with an N in the beginning lool.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Call obama whatever the hell you like... he is a human being. everyone is a human and no human is better than the other. I will call obama whatever i like if i ever meet him. Sir, barrack, whatever, he is still a human and he is not god.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Ok, I don't usually post in these kinds of threads, but after reading some of the replies, I feel like commenting.

I see no problem with Stewart's behavior in this interview. We do not live in a caste society, where rank and title carry formal obligations. My reading of proper forms of address and etiquette is that Stewart should address the President by his proper honorific at the beginning of the interview (ie, when he comes on) and at the end. In the middle, while the interview is being conducted, it's all about the setting and the kind of interview it is.

This is casual stuff here. REAL casual. "Dude" is not a formal greeting, but this is not a formal setting - it's an interview on a late night comedy program. "Dude" is, well, downright appropriate. Especially coming from Stewart. What's the problem here?

If Obama wants to be all "Martin Sheen" about the formalities, he shouldn't be going on a late night comedy program.

In Canada, our Prime Minister went on a political sketch comedy show and acted in a gag making fun of himself. That's a good way to roll. It shows he doesn't take himself too seriously - and it's the "serious" ones who go around starting wars. When you start to get all "Yes your Highness", that's when you start invading people and taking their stuff.

We don't need that.

Politicians should take more time out to make fun of themselves. I think it would cool a lot of tempers, and maybe simmer down some of the "Political Madness" we've all been experiencing.

Maybe if top government officials got called "Dude" more often, it would bring em back down to reality and remind them who they really serve.

Anyone fronting this "He's our CinC, and deserves our respect" bull* needs to check themselves at the door. Check'em for brown shirts. That's the stuff genocides are made of.

I'd call him dude to his face, and offer him a hoot.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
In the context and use I had no problem with Jon Stewart's use of "dude".

In fact, it seemed at many points like he was totally commanding the interview, not easy with someone as smart and rhetorically skilled as Obama.

I have a feeling this is because O was unable to rely on his ubiquitous teleprompters - unless they were well hidden in the studio set.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join