It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jon Stewart actually called Obama "Dude"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
If I had the chance for a face to face with obama, believe me, I would call him much worse things than dude....
Wow

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamsupermanv2
reply to post by jibeho

Yea yea, come back with your snarky, condescending comments, bud. Here's the simple fact. You thought something was appalling, turns out it isn't.

I'm not going to sit here and say its endearing to everyone, but to those that use it to their friends etc, it is. And again, I'll point to the fact that Barrack didn't even balk at it. Something tells me he uses that term himself. You are offended because you think someone else should be. Either that or you have an agenda. It's a non issue. Completely none issue. No one was hurt, the office wasn't desecrated, the world is still turning.

Keep your old fashioned ways! It's great to have diversity! But don't get frustrated when you just don't understand. Hell, my MOM calls me dude. I walked in after not seeing her in 2 months, she goes "Hey dude, how's it going?"

Maybe not to you. That's your opinion. This is appalling to my parents and most likely to entire generation that has recently retired. Not to mention the previous generation that led us through WWII. This is appalling to the people I respect the most.

This story is hitting web and people are sharing their opinions. Just like I asked people to do here. I guess I am a bad guy for thinking Stewart should have called him Mr. President. Too Funny.

Dude Thanks!

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   

~snip~

This is appalling to my parents and most likely to entire generation that has recently retired. Not to mention the previous generation that led us through WWII. This is appalling to the people I respect the most.

~snip~

That's simply because old dudes can sometimes get really worked up about new stuff younger dudes do and say. I think it's been that way since like, forever dude.
edit on 28-10-2010 by tjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

No, you are not a bad person to think he should call him Mr. President. You have your opinion, I am sharing mine.

The generation you speak about, they don't watch that show. They would not even know Jon Stewart called him dude if the news stations would not have picked up on it and made an issue of it.

Notice they are not talking about how both men were EXTREMELY respectful to each other, pointed out each others good views, and intelligently combated the ones they did not agree on.

Your reactions to this is showing one of two things: You thought Jon Stewart should have railed into The Big Dude and you are disappointed with him, or you are out of touch with the target audience of the show.

If it's the first, you obviously didn't watch the show because he made him squirm a bit. If it's the second, that's a personal problem. The show was aimed at the younger generation. Sorry.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
He wasn't being disrespectful.
They were obviously enjoying their comradery.
I thought, given the context and the situation, it was fine.
If Stewart had said it while at the White House during an official function that would be different.
But where it was said, and how it was said ... no problem.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
I guess I am a bad guy for thinking Stewart should have called him Mr. President. Too Funny.

Dude Thanks!

Maybe you are just a bad guy because anyone who has posted and/or lurked here for even a week knows you have no respect for the office as long as Obama is sitting in it. The sentiment may not be a bad one but the clear lack of sincerity from the expressing host is what taints it.

It comes across much like the wife beater who becomes enraged at percieved disrespect by a third party towards their own wife. Usually this kind of attitude is born out of a jealous, narcisistic, possesiveness. "You do not love her or know her so you cannot abuse her like I can." I think it is almost kind of cute to see your real passion come out here on this ATS sponsored blog.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   

I'm not sure who has sunk lower. Obama for actually appearing on such a program

What's wrong with appearing on The Daily Show?

It's a lot more fun to watch than Dr. Phil.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0e4ad62a9344.jpg[/atsimg]

- Lee

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

the president dude!

stewarts has watch bill and teds excellent adventure one to many times.

meh
edit on 28-10-2010 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
You can bet your sweet patootie that every word of that interview was vetted and revetted by the White House. I have no doubt that this was a very calculated move to make the President less "professorial and elite" as he has been critized by FOX News. For that matter the things that Sean Hannity and Glen Beck say about our president is reprehensible!

He is out to reach young intellectuals, house wives and under acknowledged members of the community. Obviously, the White House has coordinated with MSNBC, with Racheal Maddow and Keith Oberman, for a positive image promotion and it seems that Comedy Central has also been employed in the campaign, what with the "Rally to Restore Sanity, and/or Fear".

Politics aside, I think these are very creative moves.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
It's all kind of a no win situation for any sitting President. Try to reach out to the people and you're opposition paints you as some disrespectful cur who has no respect for the office...

Act like you respect the office and the opposition paints you as a dictator who takes the office far too seriously.

Hell, call the man Ray, call the man Jay, call him late to dinner, dude, shmood or anything else and it doesn't phase me... Just as long as he gets off his rump and starts doing his job the rest is just rhetoric and window dressing.

~Heff

PS - Even as a non-fan of the Republican movement in this nation I will say this plainly. If the economy does not resolve soon Obama will be a one term President and the dude thing will be a sad footnote to a short career.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

I guess I am a bad guy for thinking Stewart should have called him Mr. President.

...i wouldnt call ya a bad guy for JUST that...

...btw, i do understand how irksome "dude" can be... my kids and their friends (now in their 30s) wore that word out a long time ago - along with "like"...

..."like, dude!... blah blah blah... like, dude!... and, dude!... blah blah blah... like, dude!... like, whats up with that, dude!"... and, dude, did you hear - like, whoa, dude - like, wow - like, dude!... blah blah blah...

...thousands of times a day - sounding more like fruity california valley girls than texas men and women... made me recall months and months of relentless puking when i was pregnant - and - i found myself wishing i had thrown them up, lol...

...to preserve what little bit of sanity i had left (after surviving their teenage years), i banned "dude" and "like" (when used as slang) from my home - but - it didnt do any good... so, i got nerf balls to throw at the offenders... that was fun and therapeutic... might work for you and your obama issues - cant hurt to try...

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

Dude, rules like that against kids is just like so harsh.

~Heff

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
PS - Even as a non-fan of the Republican movement in this nation I will say this plainly. If the economy does not resolve soon Obama will be a one term President and the dude thing will be a sad footnote to a short career.

It won't resolve soon.
We've got tougher times ahead, and it isn't something Obama or McCain could have magically stopped.

It's been too long in the making.

Whether he ends up a one term President because of it is another story.

Look at it this way, when he leaves office for good, all the foolish people claiming he is the anti-Christ out to destroy America can breath a very ignorant sigh of relief.

Then find the next "hidden" Devil.

- Lee
edit on 28-10-2010 by lee anoma because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

So using the word dude is inherently disrespectful now?

I understand that he's the President but come on, its the 21st Century and respect shouldn't be measured in making sure to say his title every few seconds or whatever. It very well may have been a slip of the tongue. In those moments perhaps Stewart was thinking of him as just another guy rather than the President.

As for Obama making the appearance I think its awesome. Believe it or not many people trust Jon Stewart far more than they trust any newsman on any MSM news program. It's honestly pretty funny that a guy on a fake news comedy show is more trusted than the talking heads on actual networks.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

Dude, rules like that against kids is just like so harsh.

~Heff

oh like totally fer shur.
dudes always gotta be harshin the kids mellows man..
totally.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
First and foremost The Daily Show is about satire. Stewart calling Obama dude in response to a joke that he may or may not have intentionally told, is just fine in my book given the context.

Now the most amazing thing was the rest of the interview, it was one of the best I've seen in years. We in the media have gotten schooled hard by a comedian. My hat's off to Stewart that was truly brilliant.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Now like him or not Obama is still our Commander in Chief. One may not respect the man, me included, but you must respect the office.

Nah, who cares?! They are a person just like you or me. My family and friends are the only ones who earned my full respect.
I don't play their game.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Dude, you're getting Obamacare!

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
He appeared on a comedy show and he's a dude just like any other dude. If Obama wants to keep the office of president respectful he should be busy working for the country, not appearing on comedy shows.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

sorry man but theres some history associated with the the word "dude"

en.wikipedia.org...

A dude is an individual, typically male, particularly somebody well dressed or who has never lived outside a big city.

1883 - Political cartoon of Chester A. Arthur pictures the refined, well-dressed President, with the caption, "According to your cloth you've cut your coat, O Dude of all the White House residents; We trust that will help you with the vote, When next we go nominating Presidents."

"dude" today has a familiarity that we have all seen the younger generations embrace and has become slang

to the op what the word choice was seen as disrespectful to the high position in the land obama has "earned his title" and yeah unlike barbara boxer he didnt have a problem with it.

the biggest problem in america today is the demand for respect but gives none and when people think they should been more respectful no they shouldnt have been they get denigrated.

so ole song from the lefties of america only our guys is suppose to get respect but we can disrespect whoever they so choose and thats ok for them but if some right winger called obama " dude" the left would be screaming bloody murder.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join