It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enormous Ring is Developing on the Sun!

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by 0ne10

It's all electromagnetic radiation. If you had a swimming pool full of water and you saw tiny ripples on the surface and called them "A", then you did a canon ball dive into the pool and made larger ripples on the surface and called them "B"... are "A" and "B" not both water?

Yes, but to the average person that is not right.
If I asked you to turn on the light, I doubt you'd turn on the Radio or the Microwave Oven.
In normal conversation light is considered in the visible spectrum, agreed?

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by scitpeks

In normal conversation light is considered in the visible spectrum, agreed?
No...VISIBLE LIGHT is considered..."light" can simply mean photon...and all EMR is composed of photons is it not?

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by 0ne10

The average person who took a physics class would refer to it as all light.

Well I did yr12 physics but that was many moons ago.
I note your link says "sometimes"
Anyways, I have agreed it is technically "all light" just not in laymans terms.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by scitpeks
You called the "Dark Patches" shadows, which I find incorrect.

Can you quote me where I called those dark patches shadows? I don't recall myself calling them shadows.

Shadows implies the light is being blocked.

Even though I don't recall calling them shadows, I think you should understand all definitions of the word "shadow" and the many ways it could be used.

www.thefreedictionary.com...

shad·ow (shd)
n.
1. An area that is not or is only partially irradiated or illuminated because of the interception of radiation by an opaque object between the area and the source of radiation.
2. The rough image cast by an object blocking rays of illumination. See Synonyms at shade.
3. An imperfect imitation or copy.
4. shadows The darkness following sunset.
5. A feeling or cause of gloom or unhappiness: The argument cast a shadow on their friendship.
a. A nearby or adjoining region; vicinity: grew up in the shadow of the ballpark.
b. A dominating presence or influence: spent years working in the shadow of the lab director.
a. A darkened area of skin under the eye. Often used in the plural.
b. An incipient growth of beard that makes the skin look darker.
8. A shaded area in a picture or photograph.
9. A mirrored image or reflection.
10. A phantom; a ghost.
a. One, such as a detective or spy, that follows or trails another.
b. A constant companion.
c. Sports A player who guards an opponent closely.
12. A faint indication; a foreshadowing.
13. A vestige or inferior form: shadows of their past achievements.
14. An insignificant portion or amount; a trace: beyond a shadow of a doubt.
15. Shelter; protection: under the shadow of their corporate sponsor.

In the case of the pic in question the dark patches are probably areas of lesser temp or emr. Not shadows.

Yes, lesser temperature means less radiation which means less light which when referring to a picture or a photograph of said lack of light could be called a shadow or shaded area.
edit on 18-10-2010 by 0ne10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

I don't want to debate a silly point for ever.
Yes all emr is considered light.
No, the average person does not consider their Radio to be a light.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by 0ne10

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then you would be wrong.

All that you see is light or lack thereof (light and shadows). "Dark areas" as you agreed to call them means "lack of light". If there was no lack of light in those areas there would be no dark areas.

I think the only definition that fits would be option 1.
But lower temp could be caused by something beneath or even motion. not neccessarily shadow.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   

I'm sorry. Next time I will remember I am speaking to average people, and not use such terminology which may confuse them.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Then someone should call National Geographics and Spaceweather.com.
They seem to think that it's the other way around, that the darker patches are actually hotter then the rest.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Subjective1

No they don't

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Please do read that quote very very carefully.

All that you see is light or lack thereof (light and shadows). "Dark areas" as you agreed to call them means "lack of light". If there was no lack of light in those areas there would be no dark areas.

ALL THAT YOU SEE.... well what do you see? An image? A picture? A photograph?

IS LIGHT OR LACK THEREOF..... lack of light means darkness / shadows / shading.

I think you are just arguing because you hate to be wrong. When I wrote that it is caused by light and lack thereof.... it was an absolute answer that can not be refuted and I designed it to be that way. All you are doing is arguing semantics, but don't understand the absolute meaning.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by 0ne10

I'm sorry. Next time I will remember I am speaking to average people, and not use such terminology which may confuse them.

You probably meant that as an insult but infact it is true.
Not everyone on ATS has a PHD in Physics.Might pay to remember that.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by nobody you know

It takes the sun about 34 days to rotate at its poles, but only 26 days at its equator. Any type of anomyly like this will produce a circular shape. Nothing to worry about.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by 0ne10

Here we go again..

All you are doing is arguing semantics.

Please show me, among your many definition, how a different temp can be considered a shadow..

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Given the Scale of Earth to the Sun, I'd say the odds of Earth being struck by solar wind from any given ring the sun are minimal.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by quantum_flux

Given the Scale of Earth to the Sun, I'd say the odds of Earth being struck by solar wind from any given ring the sun are minimal.

True, but the Earths been hit before and will be again..
Maybe tomorrow, maybe in 10000 years..

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by quantum_flux

Actually, I think that the only thin that keeps Earth from getting hit by the Solar wind
is Earths Magnetosphere.

Solar Wind Velocity

The changing position of a comet's tail as it circumnavigated the sun lead observers to predict
a solar wind , something blowing out from the sun causing long streamers behind the comet
just as a strong wind causes long hair to blow away from a face. This wind was confirmed in
1959 by the Soviet Luna 3 spacecraft and has been the object of study ever since.

The solar wind consists of charged particles, mainly protons and electrons, emanating from the
Sun in all directions at speeds of several hundred kilometers per second and carries a magnetic
field. The solar wind also contains, in much smaller amounts, positive ions stripped of many of
their electrons by the extremely high temperatures of the Sun.

The very active, very hot corona continually expands outward moving at velocities of hundreds of
kilometers per second, a million miles per hour! This allows these protons and electrons to escape
the gravity of the sun and pour out into space well beyond the solar system. The Earth's magnetic
field (magnetosphere) protects us from these particles, acting like a rock in a stream, diverting the
solar wind around us.

The solar wind reaches earth if a break is created in the magnetosphere due to the magnetic field
orientation of the solar wind being directly opposite to that of the Earth. At that time there is a
momentary opening of the magnetosphere that protects us and some solar wind leaks in.

The solar wind is less energetic than galactic wind (cosmic radiation) by orders of magnitude and
can be identified by these energetic differences. Solar wind energies are 1-2 keV (thousand electron
volts) per nucleon. A large eruption from the sun (Coronal Mass Ejection, CME) could produce solar
particles with energies of 10 MeV (million electron volts). Cosmic radiation energies are in excess of
several billion electron volts.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   

I never said a different temp. can be considered a shadow. Now you are just making things up. But if you must....

All I said is, all you see is light or lack thereof(lights and shadows). I was talking about reality as a whole. All that you visually see.

However, the "dark areas" of the image, as pointed out by others, are created by differences in temperature (differences in radiation/light output). The definition of "dark" is "lacking or having very little light". "Dark areas" can also be called "darkness", and a synonym for darkness is "shadowy" and "shadow". Good enough for you?

Stop arguing semantics.
edit on 18-10-2010 by 0ne10 because: and "shadow" added.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

How am I trolling? He is trolling me. He wont stop arguing about stupid semantics, and every time I say something he tries his hardest to find every little flaw in what I say, and he fails every single time, yet he continues to try....

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join