It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayan Calendar Questionable (Debunked?)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
“Apocalypse Calendar May be Off”

Looks like everyone can take a deep breath, relax and stop worrying about 2012 now.
(One thing: let me clarify that I do not believe in the sort of esoteric, philosophical, shaman driven hocus-pocus.
I like to think of myself as a realist and do not subscribe to most of the goofy threads that have been posted here on ATS recently regarding prophecies. angus and bob ring any bells? )

Lots of people made a ton of money on the Y2K hoax and are now making a ton of money on this 2012 "prophecy" HOAX. They, Stichen, et.al., will continue with their money making literary waste well into 2013 and beyond or at least till the next "DOOMSDAY" plot comes along.

Seems that the "all seeing" Mayan calendar may have been interpreted incorrectly which now gives mankind a bit of breathing room and will probably survive unscathed into 2013.

Read on:

October, 08 2010
Lab Equipment
The Maya prophecy predicting the 2012 end of the world may be off by 50 to 100 years or more, according to a new book.

Gerardo Aldana, associate professor at the Univ. of California at Santa Barbara, challenges the accepted Gregorian dates of all Classic Mayan historical events, including the end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it 2012 prophecies in Calendars and Years II: Astronomy and Time in the Ancient and Medieval World, the second in a series edited by John Steele, associate professor of Egyptology and Ancient West Asian Studies at Brown Univ..

"One of the principal complications is that there are really so few scholars who know the astronomy, the epigraphy, and the archeology," says Aldana. "Because there are so few people who are working on that, you get people who don't see the full scope of the problem. And because they don't see the full scope, they buy things they otherwise wouldn't. It's a fun problem."

Source

Another article that proves interesting:

Archaeologist Debunks Alleged Maya Prediction of Apocalypse
Latin American Herald Tribune
June, 18 2010
Contrary to the apocalyptic prophecies for 2012 attributed to the Maya civilization, a Mexican archaeologist says that the Mayas were predicting a "strictly cyclical phenomenon," not a planetary catastrophe.

Another Source

Here are a few ATS threads that relate to the subject at hand...

From 2008
From 2009
From July 2010

Well there you have it folks a little bit of information from the REAL world.

By the way, this is my first thread and I know how these threads deteriorate into a mish-mash of religious and esoteric mantras as well as trolls and insults. So please be civil and be REAL!!
Have fun and 73's,
Tom

edit on 9-10-2010 by tomdham because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Think its funny that we even need to make these threads, to point out that we dont belive it. Is there really soem who belive it 100%??

I dont, and it wont happen. But its just a good read, and fun to think about. But deeply inside we all know it wont happen, we just dont got enough things to worry about, really... OFC IT WONT HAPPEN. We dont need these threads for it, its all hocus pocus as you say.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I think the reason why people believe that something big and bad is going to happen. Is because there is alot of crazy and bad things happening at the moment such as the oil leak, economic problems, natural disasters. Its easy to believe the world is ending when the world around you is turning to dust

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ypperst

Thanks for replying to my first thread. I have been lurking here on ATS for many years, just signed on in March.
I just thought that some real hard evidence from real archeologists would be informative.

I just read a thread below mine regarding UFO's, aliens and the belief in such:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

by crowdedskys and will quote him on the direction that ATS has taken recently:

I personally call this the phenomenon of "Facebook meets ATS" - this is all the excitement of 'sharing' and 'cool' talk.

I thought I would put out REAL information not "hocus-pocus".
Nothing more.
Again, thanks for your reply.
73's
Tom

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Yes, people seem to think that they Mayans only use one calender, when they actually use a complexed composition of several calenders. Only one, the long count calender ends on that date, and as it has done before in the past, (and like any calender) it simply resets itself.

The other ones simply keep on progressing.....but I guess people like to remain ignorant to that fact. And thats their problem

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Museatlantis

Thank you for your reply, too, Museatlantis. This is your first post? Thanks.

But anyway, yes, there seem to be a lot of bad things happening...but only because you are more informed due to the internet, tv, satellites, cell phones, etc.
Before the above existed people relied solely on their local newspapers, word of mouth or just plain rumors.
Now we have at our disposal a GLOBAL rumor mill, 24/7, at our disposal so you hear about more things.
It is sometimes extremely difficult to separate the wheat from chaff!

Thanks again,
73's,
Tom

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Thanks Oz for the reply.
The Mayans only said things are cyclic, as you say...not the obliteration of all life on earth or Planet X's (Nibiru), etc.

Thanks and look forward to reading more of you "CHEMTRAIL" info

Keep up the good work.
73's,
Tom

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by tomdham

The galactic alignment is a FACT.

You cant debunk REALITY.

lol
edit on 9-10-2010 by rajaten because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
When i first started researching the Mayan Calender, I thought I remember reading somewhere that it is the only calendar that cant be off, due to the fact that it has a certain number of days, and just by counting the days we arrive at dec 21, 2012. I suppose it would be off depending on what day you started counting.

Im sure that all the calenders are off, clocks too. Even the world famous Atomic clock needs to be adjusted since even it cannot keep track of time perfectly.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Well I'm no expert but from what I had seen in videos and read about, it was merely a cyclical shift into a new era, like quoted in the OP. Sort of like how the Age of Pisces is coming to a close if it hasn't already.

In any case, all this doom-saying is all hollywood hype because it sells. People would rather read "THE END OF THE WORLD IS NIGH" than "A new age is said to begin".

I don't have enough experience to believe or disbelieve what posters in this thread call 'hocus pocus'. I do believe there's a lot out there on this very planet that we do not understand and as such I do not want to jump to conclusions.

All this talk has ever done is make me curious to find out more and to do my own research. A lot of people are saying 2012 will be special for various reasons. To say they are all true is idiocy, as there's such an enchanting mystique around that date after years of hype. Nevertheless, I am looking forward to the coming time.

A lot will change, one look at politics, political movements and science developments will tell you the potential these next few years will bring. Don't submit to tunnel vision like the media has been training us. There's a lot more out there.
edit on 9-10-2010 by Tarrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tarrok
Well I'm no expert but from what I had seen in videos and read about, it was merely a cyclical shift into a new era, like quoted in the OP. Sort of like how the Age of Pisces is coming to a close if it hasn't already.

In any case, all this doom-saying is all hollywood hype because it sells. People would rather read "THE END OF THE WORLD IS NIGH" than "A new age is said to begin".

I don't have enough experience to believe or disbelieve what posters in this thread call 'hocus pocus'. I do believe there's a lot out there on this very planet that we do not understand and as such I do not want to jump to conclusions.

All this talk has ever done is make me curious to find out more and to do my own research. A lot of people are saying 2012 will be special for various reasons. To say they are all true is idiocy, as there's such an enchanting mystique around that date after years of hype. Nevertheless, I am looking forward to the coming time.

A lot will change, one look at politics, political movements and science developments will tell you the potential these next few years will bring. Don't submit to tunnel vision like the media has been training us. There's a lot more out there.
edit on 9-10-2010 by Tarrok because: (no reason given)

Well said tarrok, I completely agree.

Want to add more but theres nothing more to add. Hope to meet you on the flipside in 2013.

Warm Regards,
Rajaten

link   
double post
edit on 9-10-2010 by rajaten because: edit

link   

Originally posted by rajaten
reply to post by tomdham

The galactic alignment actually occurs on the 21st december 2012. This is a FACT.

You cant debunk REALITY.

First off thanks for your reply Rajaten!

Could you explain exactly what:
1) The galactic alignment "FACT" is?
2) What it has to do with Mayan calendar?

3) What is the galaxy aligning with?

Thanks again.
73's,
Tom

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Le Colonel

Hello Le Colonel, Thanks for your reply.

Here is an interesting documentary on TIME.
No one knows what time is or what time are they talking about or referring to???

It is a fast moving doc, IMO
(relatively or subjectively speaking!)

73's,
Tom

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by tomdham

You are welcome.
John major jenkins says it best, if you read his books you learn to appreciate the gravity of research that is behind the 2012 date. The collective years of research and validation it took to confirm the 2012 date is phenomenal. Here is jenkins on the alignment although his piece is only a small part of the puzzle in my opinion.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

Thanks Rajaten,
I will view the video later and get back with you on it.
It is 1630h here and got some things to take care of before I leave the office.
Today is a sort of work day here in the ME.

73's,
Tom

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
There are no Mayan beliefs of the earth ending in 2012...it is created out of thin air by people selling themselves, and their products. This is a manufactured belief generating a cottage industry.

As already expressed there are dates in their calendars that extend way beyond 2012...something conveniently left out of everyones books, videos, and lectures. Just like we need to buy another calendar, the cycle of theirs ends and another begins, nothing more.

The earth will continue its course around the sun and the sun around the galaxy. People will need to face and fix their own problems instead of believing an alien race will come to their rescue, or a new paradigm will emerge from the universe, or we have ancient baby sitters to hold our hand. We need to face our issues ; define and solve them, better ourselves and our standards of living.

The last item is the Olmecs developed these calendars, not the Mayan.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ariel bender

Thanks ariel,
Well put!!

I agree 100%. Follow the MONEY!

Great and well thought out post, star for ya!

73's,
Tom

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
If many people in the world expectsomething dreadful to happen in 2012, is it possible that this collective expectation might bring about some disaster? I'm not suggesting massive earthquakes or cosmic alignments but something originated by humans such as complete economic collapse or war. I wonder about this sometimes when I read the doom and gloom predictions.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ariel bender

There are no Mayan beliefs of the earth ending in 2012...it is created out of thin air by people selling themselves, and their products. This is a manufactured belief generating a cottage industry.

Dont know if in 2012 but Mayans believed in end of the world.
They imagined it as epic flood coming from "celestial dragon".
It´s from Dresden Codex. If you want to know more google it.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join