It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Uncle is in love with a life size plastic doll

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Ok this is just plain weird, I wanted to share with you what I recently discovered about my step Uncle that I find shocking and very very deranged.

He has a life size doll that he takes out to dinner, orders a plate for her too, Takes her to department stores and fine jewelry stores, buys her the latest fashions as well as expensive jewelry.

He always takes her with him in the car, buys her flowers and sits in the park having picnics with her.

He has even planned a vacation cruise this year to keep her happy.

Being a Christian man, he enjoys taking her to church on sundays and always keeps her near.

All of his neighbors thinks him insane and wont talk to him, he thinks it is perfectly natural as he has only had one wife, been divorced for over 20 years and has never been able to find anyone else who will date him.

What do you guys think? Have you ever heard of such a thing?

edit on 3-10-2010 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
wow your uncle has some guts I can say that!!

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
sounds an awful lot like a movie from 2007...Lars and the Real Girl.

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

No Big Deal.
Hugh Hefner has been living with women made of plastic for years now.

Is your uncle called Ken, by any chance?

edit on 3/10/10 by atlasastro because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Ive seen a documentary on this strange phenomena, I cant remember what it was, it was like a Louis Theroux documentary but not Louis Theroux.

Will see if i can track it down.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Doesn't have to listen to her drone on and on. Doesn't have to worry about being taken to the cleaners in a divorce. Heck, he may be on to something.

If he's happy and not hurting anyone, then more power to him. Different strokes for different folks.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

At first, I thought you were taking us for a ride here..then noticed you are an Archivist, so I hope that is no the case, I assume it's not.

I've heard passing stories of people being obsessed with objects. I'd try to get him help. Maybe he just needs a good old fashioned family intervention. A few of you go talk to him, be like "This isn't normal, it's not really healthy for you, and maybe we can set you up on a date or two" Some women love fix-er-uppers anyways, maybe between you guys you can find one willing to give him a chance?

It sounds like he started taking the easy way out and just took it too far. I'd try to give him some human interaction. That could fix it.

I am in no way qualified to give these opinions though...just what I would in that situation.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by broli

Just watched 'most of the documentary, I kept thinking she is just acting, this cant be real, but I dont know I guess she really does love her Bow...

But then when she states its never easy working with an 'ex', and that was why she came in 3rd in the tournament.

Very strange. How can they not be embarrased?

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by iamsuperman v2

Well I have not seen him since I was about 11, and he has divorced my step aunt, and the family including his own children all adults now steer clear of him.

I just heard about this over the weekend and wanted to bring it to ATS to see what the members have to say about this truly different phenomena, I now say phenomena because at first i thought it was a single person acting crazy, but maybe it is more wide spread than I thought, actually and obviously from the previous posts it is...

If I make something up I know the appropriate forums to place it in, this is in social issues... But I know what you mean...

link   
Ah, so Katie Price has dumped Alex Reid already.
2nd

link   
reply to post by iamsupermanv2

It is defininately something that happens. There is quite an Industry for getting these dolls to look and feel as authentic as possible. It's all a bit weird but antars step uncle is certainly not alone in his fondness to dolls.

topdocumentaryfilms.com...

I think this may have been the documentary I have seen about it. you can watch it at the link. I kinda feel sorry for guys who go to these extremes.

edit on 3-10-2010 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

link   
Yes, there are a lot of people like your uncle out there. In fact there's are societies/forums on the internet specifically for "doll lovers" where of course you will find people who take the obsession to extreme lengths.
If you're seriously worried that your uncle's mental health and perception of reality is deteriorating I'd take a look into it and find out if he's part of one of these communities. A quick Google search should bring you to one of these sites.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
First thing I thought was that it would make for a great scary Halloween story...

However I do not want to make fun of a serious condition.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

I just edited my last post to provide a link to the documentary called Guys and Dolls. It may give you a better understanding of your step uncles reasonings.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Your uncle is a genius! No need to worry.

Artificial women, do as they are told. Don't go phycho for 1 week out of the month. Are always there for sex. Can be taken with you anywhere you want to go. Can be left home any time you want to go alone. And the most important:

Over the long term...they are WAAAAAY cheaper than a real woman!

edit on 3-10-2010 by bismarcksea because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I wouldn't be to concerned unless he starts cheating on "her".

Seriously, he's a little eccentric, but not harmful.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Really now - do they make male dolls like this - I want one that doesn't talk all the time

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
as another poster pointed out there is a movie called lars and the real girl that is about this sort of thing. really eerie movie and i had no idea people do this in real life.

edit on 3-10-2010 by conspiracy nut because: added 2nd line

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Wow.

That definitely begs a movie plot. I'm seeing Jim Carey, Greg Kinnear or Steve Carell.

I guess it's no more weird than this:

Japanese vacation with digital girlfriends

ETA

reply to post by InnerTruths

Sounds just like that!

edit on 3/10/2010 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join