It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Uncle is in love with a life size plastic doll

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Yes, they had a segment on this on National Geographics: Taboo.

She is who he wants her to be. I say, if it doesn't hurt someone, whatever.

If we get to the day and age where we actually have a holodeck( a girl can fantasize) would you fault someone for falling in love with a hologram? Because they will see them as a very real person. As does your uncle.

Shoot, he has probably had better conversations with her then I have had with some people.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
He drives it around?... Takes it on dinner dates?... Buy it lavish jewelry?... Yet he cannot find a "real" woman...

That man isn't trying hard enough.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

My personal take on it is people who do this has been so hurt by society or a partner, they they fall for an inanimate one to avoid intimacy, and being put in a place where they can be hurt again.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I used to watch boston legal, and there were a few episodes where one of the characters had one of these...Jerry Espensen, the guy with asburger's...Heck Denny Crane had one that looked just like Shirley Schmidt

There was an old 80's movie with almost the same concept, a very young Meg Ryan was in it...Cherry 2000

edit on 3/10/10 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Having a life size plastic doll is abnormal? Really? I thought everybody had one. And waaaay much cheaper if there is ever a divorce. It has it's advantages I suppose.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I don't think it's abnormal to love his doll, but it sure is very strange for him to take her (it) out and order food and stuff. Is he all there?

Reminds me of when the Red Dwarf crew find a ship full of women and they get all excited and dressed up to meet them. But the women are all dead and Kryten the robot hasn't noticed.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Social issues phooey.......
Takes her out to dinner?
Folks we are having our chains pulled.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
You uncle definitively has a few screws loose. I'm not sure to feel happy or bad for the poor Psychiatrist that is eventually assigned to him.

edit on 3-10-2010 by inivux because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
He should take her to Madame Tussauds in London for a bit of Swinging

Nudge nudge, wink wink, orgy time

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I really, really want that lovely hologram girl off the movie The 6th Day, remember her??

Phwoar...!!

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
If he's happy, what's the problem?

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Why are you fixated on your uncle, what are you trying to hide from other people and youself.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
Wow.

That definitely begs a movie plot. I'm seeing Jim Carey, Greg Kinnear or Steve Carell.

I guess it's no more weird than this:

Japanese vacation with digital girlfriends

ETA

reply to post by InnerTruths

Sounds just like that!

edit on 3/10/2010 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

This had already been made into a movie called "Lars and the Real Girl"

In this comedy, Lars Lindstrom is an awkwardly shy young man in a small northern town who finally brings home the girl of his dreams to his brother and sister-in-law's home. The only problem is that she's not real - she's a sex doll Lars ordered off the Internet. But sex is not what Lars has in mind, but rather a deep, meaningful relationship. His sister-in-law is worried for him, his brother thinks he's nuts, but eventually the entire town goes along with his delusion in support of this sweet natured boy that they've always loved.

source

It''s a pretty good movie actually

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Although his behavior would be considered "odd" by "society", as long as he's not hurting anybody or breaking any laws and he seems happy- not much you can do about it..........

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
Ive seen a documentary on this strange phenomena, I cant remember what it was, it was like a Louis Theroux documentary but not Louis Theroux.

Will see if i can track it down.

I also saw a docu in UK about the very same thing, I should imagine it was a C4 docu, but Louis Theroux sounds likely too. It covered a range of people connected to "sex dolls", I take it that's what you are talking about here? Anyway there was an insight into the people and companies who make these dolls, also how they have them sent back regularly and they do little upgrades and spruce them up a bit (which was quite gross). Then it went onto talking about the various men who use them. There were quite a few who just stayed indoors with these dolls all day long, talking to them and putting makeup and clothes on them, doing the business etc.

I remember this one guy in particular though, he had a long term girlfriend and had recently admitted his addiction to these dolls to her. She insisted he get rid of them and she thought he had, but he showed how he had them hidden all over the house! Madness, so it goes to show, it's not just for lonely desperate guys - I think it's actually some sort of addiction.

As a woman I find it hard to understand why people would do this, not just using these dolls for sexual pleasure, but also interacting with them in daily life and preferring them to real people, treating them like their girlfriend or even their wife.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I applaud the makers of Real Doll I want two a male and a female but I am a digital artist so I want them for models

however it is my sincere hope that all the emotional cripples for whom others are merely extensions. of they're own distorted self images buy Real Dolls and Real Dogs and every other Alter to real life that technology can create that would be a great relief for REAL WOMEN and REAL DOGS everywhere

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I saw something like this on tv once. The guy had over 25 life size dolls. He still tried to find a real partner but he said once they found out about the dolls, they never stuck around.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Lester says...be yourself.

One could say that your uncle has overcome any need to 'fit in', I suppose. Personally, I think there'd be less limitations to his situation were he to simply 'imagine' her, rather than cart about a plastic doll. I guess the real test is when he dies and you open his will?

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
W

T

F

?

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Look on the bright side... If it doesnt work he doesnt have to worry about paying alimony and child support.. Plus can send her to the recycler as she is plastic which is good for the environment...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join