It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have your ATS threads been hijacked?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Copyright law actually isn't as unenforcible as people think on the net. I have sent few take down notices myself and got photos that I owned removed from sites that used them without permission.

You can either file a DMCA complaint with google this explains how.
r you cn contact the web sites hosting company directly which as far as I can tell in this case is a company called iweb

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

In the end, I don't think we, as members of ATS, have any rights to what we post. ATS has those rights. That being said, that is not my intention here. I just wanted other members to be aware of it. That's all.

I also want to add that earlier the posts on usahitman.com were under the name conspiracyman, then notmyposts and now it has all been changed to the name External-Source. This person knows what we are talking about.

I would love to have this person join our conversation! Not to criticize, but to simply discuss the issue. Like I said before, this has nothing to do with legal issues.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I've had people on other websites copy/paste my words from here as though they wrote them. I was stunned.

And this one guy that I talked to that had done it really wanted to talk to me for a while and then disappeared. I wonder what that was all about. And I was using a different username on that site, so I don't know how he knew it would be me he was talking to. It was so strange.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   

As far as I know from the terms and conditions posting on ATS gives ATS the non exclusive right to use your posts but you retain the original copyright...

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Interesting, I may be misinformed on that area. Thanks for the info. I am glad to hear that we retain credit, and criticism, for our work.

As a side note, the usahitman.com website is currently offline. I hope the mods, or SO/Mark/Springer can give us an update on the entire process. I hope that I did not start something i did not intend.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   

It may just be down because of the amount of traffic coming from this thread

If anything we will have just have pushed the site higher up the google rankings by linking to it
Or maybe the person who owns it is genuinely worried, I doubt it though

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Well,quite of bit of the threads here have just been taken from other forums anyway.

Many of the new users are not mature enough to do their own research and start their own threads with that research.

I am positive and actually will prove this.

I am doing research and plan on posting the information on numerous other forums,but NOT ATS.

It will eventually show up here I am sure.

Somebody will copy and paste the information here to get as many stars and flags as possible.

This site will insure their threads are not used but does not do anything when members post information from other forums.

Basically live with it or do not post threads.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Oneolddude

Thats not quite how copyright law on the internet works though.
You are not obliged to trawl through every post on your site looking for copyrighted material, you are however obliged to comply with a take down notice if someone send you one.

Thats how a site like youtube can operate without constantly being in court, they are allowed to have users post copyrighted material and leave it there until the owner of the material files an infringement notice and then they must take it down

It would be more or less impossible for any site with user generated content to operate in any other way

edit on 30-9-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247

In the end, I don't think we, as members of ATS, have any rights to what we post. ATS has those rights.

What?
No, no, no, the author always retains the rights to their work, it's only natural.
The publisher may obtain reproduction rights and such, but you always retain intellectual ownership of what you produced.

It scares me sometimes to see how little people know about their basic rights.... and how little they do to enforce them.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
Have you seen the stupid copyright notice at the bottom of the page?

USAHITMAN.COM Uses The Fair Use Act For All Copyrighted Work, Including The Reproduction of Articles, Videos, Pictures & Documents For Secure Copies Of The Original Work/Information For The Purpose Of Criticism, Comments, News Reporting, Teaching, or Research and Other Reasons Deemed By USAHitman.com At Any Time...Any Use Of Your Article, Video, Picture or Document On This Site Is Not Copyright Infringement Because A Link Is Provided Back To Your Site And I Don't Claim The Rights Or The Research Into Some Posts. No Laws Apply To This Site, It's Users or It's Owner; And No One Can Prosecute Anyone For Anything Because The Internet Is A World That Doesn't Exist.

That was a good laugh, thank you!
"No laws apply to this site"? What is he, a twelve-year old territorial video games addict who never had to deal with the real word because mom and dad do it for him?

Seems like it.

There are laws and they do apply, by implication.
So he declared himself the lawmaker in his fictitious kingdom.
Unfortunately for him, that edict has little currency in the outside world.
:
Good grief, are people really that dumbed down already?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdAstra

Originally posted by Ben81
lol

I hope my enlightment threads get copy has many place possible ..
i dont need any credit for them

That's not the point.
The point is intellectual property is property like any other and should be respected.
That's why there are laws against piracy.

Anyone who has their work published elsewhere without their express permission could and should react to piracy by demanding immediate removal of the content and an apology - or proper credit.

It's not just about you, it's about an important principle.
It's about all of us.
It's high time that intellect gets at least the same respect that any ordinary item would if it were shoplifted.

edit on 30-9-2010 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)

Yes you are right .. at least they should had put it was from a ATS thread writen by : nick
but they didnt ... hope they didnt hide that fact and be credited for somebody else works or personal research
from my part i would have mentionned everything above the story to be first at sight

in my age of enlightment thread i have took one member quote and the thread link was just below
and i have talk to the member regarding it .. if it was okay and it was

its a notion of respect between individual ..
at least here on ATS .. if we take someone works for a thread .. we always detail everything in the credits

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   

edit on 1-10-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Well after long debate... I decided to post on this thread... I'm the owner of this site usahitman.com and i have been reading all of your comments... It made me realize what i have done... i guess i was too caught up in spreading the word and all that nonsense
well i want to say I'm sorry for any harm i have done.. i took the site off-line due to this problem.. I'm not going to put it up until i work those details out.. By updating every single post i posted from ATS and other sources.. I will trim all the posts and make sure i include the users name posted on Abovetopsecret.com with the link at the TOP of the post and at the bottom... I promise from now on ill state this info with every post from here and other sources, so this problem doesn't happen. But the true reason i did this is to "wake up" people because i don't like the way our country is going.. I have been looking on ATS for long as i can remember, this site was the one that inspired me into making a site like the one i did, i just love the unique content i found on this site and i just thought i could "honor posts" in a sense.. But i'm sorry for the upset.. but i promise to ATS and the world that this won't happen again.. sorry and looking forward to hear what you have to say..

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracymann
Well after long debate... I decided to post on this thread... I'm the owner of this site usahitman.com and i have been reading all of your comments... It made me realize what i have done... i guess i was too caught up in spreading the word and all that nonsense
well i want to say I'm sorry for any harm i have done.. i took the site off-line due to this problem.. I'm not going to put it up until i work those details out.. By updating every single post i posted from ATS and other sources.. I will trim all the posts and make sure i include the users name posted on Abovetopsecret.com with the link at the TOP of the post and at the bottom... I promise from now on ill state this info with every post from here and other sources, so this problem doesn't happen. But the true reason i did this is to "wake up" people because i don't like the way our country is going.. I have been looking on ATS for long as i can remember, this site was the one that inspired me into making a site like the one i did, i just love the unique content i found on this site and i just thought i could "honor posts" in a sense.. But i'm sorry for the upset.. but i promise to ATS and the world that this won't happen again.. sorry and looking forward to hear what you have to say..

I wanted to quote that just in case....

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by conspiracymann

As you can see by my name here I am a person that was concerned about the content of your website. I also think that it was VERY big of you to come here and state your case as well. You could have hid and you didn't, so, kudos on that.

Now with that said, and I will only speak for myself. I was more or less disappointed due to the fact that here on ATS we have to abide by rules, and thats what makes it great, and we work very hard to make this place what it is.
The point is to get the message out.

There was just a better way about doing it. All we I ask is for the same respect that we give one another. Some of our threads take hours, and to see someone take minutes to distribute it and name it their own is rather discouraging to say the least.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   

edit on 1-10-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracymann
By updating every single post i posted from ATS and other sources.. I will trim all the posts and make sure i include the users name posted on Abovetopsecret.com with the link at the TOP of the post and at the bottom... I promise from now on ill state this info with every post from here and other sources, so this problem doesn't happen.

Hi conspiracymann.

Well done for coming to the thread

I think if you did what you are proposing then you could indeed claim "Fair Use" under US copyright law, You can read up on the law concerning "fair use" here but the relevant "fair use" bit is

How much of someone else's work can I use without getting permission?
Under the fair use doctrine of the U.S. copyright statute, it is permissible to use limited portions of a work including quotes, for purposes such as commentary, criticism, news reporting, and scholarly reports.

There would be a simpler way of getting around your problem though and that would be to ask the person who wrote the content if they mind you posting it on your site! I don't think anyone would have a problem with that, as long as you accepted if they said no

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Than you for coming forward and making those comments.
I noticed the use of my thread in August, and rather welcomed it, as I remarked in the comment I posted at the time.
I think of my threads as "getting the message out", so I had no problems with being quoted in full. In fact I would rather be quoted in full than quoted in an edited version. My arguments tend to proceed "step-by-step", so the whole flow gets disrupted if you start editing it.
The intentions you've expressed are very good.
If you're adding author-names and checking with them , then you're being fair to everybody.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   

I appreciate your input. I don't think anybody here is out to get you, people just want credit for their work.
If you give proper credit, I see no reason why you shouldn't continue your site. Admin here will be able to advise you on how to best remedy issues, and credit material in the future.

Good luck, and thanks for stopping in.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Thanks a lot for joining the discussion. As another post stated, I don't think we are out to get anyone. My biggest concern was context. Sometimes our threads require follow-ups and further discussion for the point to be made. If our threads are posted on a seperate site, we have no way to follow-up or defend it.

That being said, I am sure that ATS, and your website, can find a way to share information in a way that benefits both. Thanks again and I hope this clears up any misunderstandings.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join