It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have your ATS threads been hijacked?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
How much time do you put into your threads? Many ATS users spend a lot of time researching and writing very complex threads that take massive amounts of energy to put together. No matter the subject or popularity of your thread, how would you feel if it was copied and pasted on another website? That is exactly what is happening.

This may be an old issue, or common knowledge, but I found something very interesting today. I recently authored a thread on a school fundraising scam. Are School Fundrasiers a Scam? I did a google search on the issue to dig up more information and I saw the title of my thread close to the top of the list. At first I thought that it was just the ATS site link to my thread, but after I read the URL and clicked on the link, it became clear that the site was not ATS.

The site is usahitman.com. This is a conspiracy/current events website. If you read through just the first page, you will realize that this site is full of content pulled from ATS. Here is a small list of ATS threads that have been copied and pasted on this website by a user named "conspiracyman".

Do you believe it is ever right to break the law? by Death_Kron

Best Enviromental Pictures of 2010 by speculativeoptimist This article was sourced to National Geographic but the usahitman.com site used an ATS thread as its source.

More Fox News coverage on UFO's! What's up with that? by cash69 Source is Fox News AND an ATS thread.

The Sphinx could be 2.5 million years old based on age of the Sahara by earth2

Are School Fundraisers a scam? by me...sheepslayer247

I am guilty. Are you? by 5senses

The list could go on and on. The site itself is has pages upon pages of links, many of which link to our ATS threads. Are your threads on this website?

Is conspiracyman a member of ATS? If so, why does he use our material on this website? I was flattered that my thread made it to another website, but at the same time I feel that I should have been asked. I know that when I post on ATS it becomes fair game, but common courtesy would be to ask. Questions and comments directed at your thread can be posted on the usahitman.com website and you have no way of responding or defending your thread's content if you don't even know it's on another website.

Why are ATS threads being posted along side articles from accredited news organizations?

Maybe I am making a mountain out of a molehill, but I take great pride and ownership in my threads. And my threads are nothing compared to others on this site. So what do you think ATS? How do you feel on this issue?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
lol

I hope my enlightment threads get copy has many place possible ..
i dont need any credit for them
ATS is a good source of information regarding any speculation or theories
if it can help to open the mind of a few people .. it worth it

the USA congress have been 3/4 hijacked by zionist
thats a fact
how did they managed that ..
maybe like a big horse like in Troy

edit on 9/30/2010 by Ben81 because: S&F

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Correct me if I'm wrong - but isn't the whole POINT of discussing these matters to get information out to those who wish to have it? I mean, what's the point of discussing alternative topics, or mainstream topics in an alternative way, if it is not to provide a different way of looking at things?

Frankly, I'm rather bored of hearing complaints about the general public being "sheep" and than turn around and hear the same complaints about ATS material being viewed off-site. It's hypocritical. Now, if one's material is being plagiarized, that's a different story. If other sites are giving credit to the original author, than it's fair game, as far as I'm concerned. Share the knowledge, that's what it's supposed to be about.

edit on 30-9-2010 by LadySkadi because: sp. doh!

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

I agree that ATS is a great source for information on a variety of topics. The reason I post on ATS is the ability to converse with others in a setting that remains on topic and civil. Other websites do not offer that.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I agree Lady. Maybe I am just a little surprised that another website is featuring such a large amount of ATS threads alongside other articles. Well said.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

I have to agree that it's a little disconcerting, at first. I've had a thread stolen and put up on a bunch of personal blog sites (with no credit or link to the ATS site, sourced) and yes, it irritated me. Feeling a bit on my high-horse, I turned them over to the Admins. and it was handled rather quickly. ATS will stand up for the membership and it's content, when it's stolen.

Beyond plagiarism or flat out stolen material (that's the academic in me, lol) I do try to keep a broader view to the concept that we are all on the internet and on this site and sharing interests in matters that should be available to anyone who wishes.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Interesting find, and certainly note worthy sheepslayer.

Personally I find fundamental flaws with copyright laws, considering that my dna and my intracellular communications, neuro-net, and body are in fact "information storage and retrieval systems", and I don't know how to get written permission to retain the information I read from dead publishers

Maybe I am reading the copyright laws wrong, but when I take certain truisms into account and hold them in context simultaneously, it seems some aspects of the copyright laws are not too logical.

Having said that, I'm not sure how I feel about some conspiracy website jumping on ATS members' coat tails and plagerizing ATS members' work without some measure of acknowledgement for the source material they used or outright copied from our site.

S & F for the find and thanks for sharing sheepslayer,

ET

edit on 30-9-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because: bolden and italicize text

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Yes, one of mine's on that site.
The "Mark of the Beast" thread.
But at least they attached a link to the original thread, so that can be understood as giving credit.
If it means the message spreads wider, that's fine.

PS In fact I now remember seeing a message on their front page saying something like "We've attached links, so we've complied with everything that needs to be complied with".

edit on 30-9-2010 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

Thanks ET! I know there is no copyright issue here, and if there was the rights to the material would be that of ATS, not the author. I just find it interesting that ATS threads are being used as news sources on this website. On one hand I feel honored, on the other I feel a bit surprised.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I didn't go through all the threads there but there was at least one of mine that I saw. I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about it to be honest. ATS is called Above Top Secret.

But to find my words on a site thats called USA HITMAN, and a pic with guns, well... I'm not to sure about that, especially with the crackdown thats happening on sites such as this. I don't think that I would normally post threads on a site like that, but I will do some further investigating.

I guess I will wait it out and see what happens though. I will do a search for any other threads and see if there are many site with this same issue, or just that one in particular.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

That's how I feel. I have mixed feeling about the whole issue. If I wanted it to be on usahitman, or even GLP, I would have posted it there. But then again, it's nice to know that many others may see what we have written.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Well I tried to do a little digging, and all I can find is ATS has the most threads there.

If you look for the author he is called Conspiracy man. He has over 5,700 threads started by him, and taken from other sites.

At the bottom of every thread there is a link to the ATS thread, here on ATS.

It just seems to be a way for others to see the info and then go to where it is. It may just be sort of "taste before you try" thing. And if people enjoy the info they can go to where it was posted.

The site doesn't seem to have much traffic though. My initial concern about this was the name of the site, and their photo.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Huh ... Shop & compare. Here is a Topic on that website entitled:
9/11 Bill Fold $100,$50,$20,$10,$5
(Posted by conspiracyman on September 30, 2010)

compared to a thread I authored back in 2006 on ATS entitled:
Did you see 9-11 on the $20 bill? do the same to $1, $5, $10, $20, $50, & $100. full story

But, then again, maybe I was just borrowing the idea from the federal reserve notes, but still...

Interesting correlations.

just an observation,
-ET

edit on 30-9-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because: just an observation

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
i opened the hitman link in the op.
first thing i noticed was the replies.
then there's a few on the right side.
i think 4 was the most replies i noticed.
obviously competition is not the worry.

i'll be honest, there has been a few times i transferred articles from this site to another board.
only the news articles and the like. i can see someone getting a bit perturbed if it was their words taken out of context though.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
It looks to me like the posts have been added to the site very recently. All the dates I have seen are within the last week or so. Is this person filling up his site quickly with ATS content?

BTW, has anyone found out if there is a conspiracyman on ATS? Maybe its a fellow ATS'er that is spreading info on their new site or something.

CX

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Type "Above Top Secret" in the search box at the top right of that site....you'll get 100 threads that are linked back to ATS.

Not sure what to think. I can't see the point in creating another site that just copies threads from around the net.

Bit sad really.

CX.

CX

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Just to add, i remember seeing a post in GLP suggesting that they just copy every thread from ATS....maybe someone had a brain fart and decided it would be grown up to do so?

CX.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
i've also noticed very similar threads on both ats and prisonplanet forum.
is it mostly just a matter of who posted first?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

Of course there is going to be different websites commenting on current issues, but I think this is a different issue. As a previous post stated, 100's of threads have been copied and pasted onto this website. I don't think its intention is to spread info, they just needed website filler.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I can only speak for myself 90 percent of time when I read a thread it is because I have a opinion.
Opinions cannot be debated and giving my opinion was not meant to derail thread.
And you get credit because I just admitted that 10 percent of the time or more you have changed my opinion on subject and I agree or remain silent.
So never seek approval for your research, claim it as your own.
You may have helped someone to see it the way you intended without ever knowing.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join