It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have your ATS threads been hijacked?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I went to the site and I see what you mean. I guess one just has to suck it up and know someone liked your composition and the word will get out there. No copyright law here and copyright laws are a bit of a joke as far as the net is concerned anyway. I am a photographer and posted my work to a couple of photography sites and found quiet a few of them had been copied and posted on other sites. Some took the time to blank out my signature and others didn't. I could have gotten a lawyer and all that but what a hassle. I wonder how ATS would feel about the person composing a thread leaving their name or user name at least on their work. Such as this thread composed by so and so? It might deter some from taking it and others might at least leave the name there

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
reply to post by Ben81

I agree that ATS is a great source for information on a variety of topics. The reason I post on ATS is the ability to converse with others in a setting that remains on topic and civil. Other websites do not offer that.

i agree with you on all part with what you just said

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I have no problem whatsoever with folks using information from here, as long as they credit it properly. "Conspiracy Man" appears to be the main one, and is using the same ATS Thread Title but the by-line is clearly "By Conspiracy Man".

This is misleading.

Conspiracy Man, if you read this, which I assume you will, you should include, for example:

Article Conspiracies are Real, Skeptics are Not by Protoplasmic Traveler, Above Top Secret, September xx, 2010. Then a link directly to the thread. Submitted by Conspiracy Man.

This should have you covered.

Just putting "ATS Link" at the end of the article, is not doing it for me, while you have the title only with "By Conspiracy Man". Credit where credit is due.

ETA: Note to Conspiracy Man: I would like for you to go back, and correct all the threads you have posted from ATS.Com, with the appropriate information. Much obliged, buddy. I know you don't want to get in hot water.

edit on 9/30/2010 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

I completely agree with, and that would help ATS as well as people that may read it, will know that this is the place where all the good threads come from.

Why would someone want to press a link, when they already read it there?

I mean it looks like he took about 5 minutes to insert a pic for everyone's threads. I have 3 of mine there, with one about William Shakespeare, and he posted a pic of him on the side.

That doesn't make him the author, that barely makes him the illustrator, as he wasn't asked to add, and he didn't paint the photo of Shakespeare.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I checked out the Facebook page for usahitman.com and they upload the same content to FB. Here is a quote in their description:

The Media Hitman Has Arrived! We Don't Feed You The Government Propaganda Like The Other Huge Corporations! We Are Out To Give The Citizens What They Want, Real News That's Free and It's In Real Time.

Other huge corporations? Is this a corporate ran site? I am not too knowledgeable in how to find background info through the net, but maybe someone who is savvy can dig up some more info.

I am flattered though that ATS articles pass the muster to be considered "real news".

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
I wonder how ATS would feel about the person composing a thread leaving their name or user name at least on their work. Such as this thread composed by so and so?

I made a point of attaching a comment to the thread on that site identifying myself as the original author.
But that was only one thread.
Your approach is probably easier (one could slip it on to the end of the first paragraph), but does involve actually expecting your work to be borrowed.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

I'm glad to see that some of you have looked for your work, and are attempting to take ownership. I am currently going through the site and I think I have found a few articles that have not linked to ATS, but they were clearly taken from the site.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I'm sure that if everyone who had a thread their wrote the same thing, then he would either have to stop, or have to retract what he was previously saying, and stop saying he is the Author of the threads.

I think I can accurately say, today he messed with the wrong Sheepslayer.

I thought that it was probably harmless because he didn't get to many hits, but now that we know he has a FB page, and a twitter account thats completely different.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

I looked until I got bored with it, but it seems there are more from here, than not.
Maybe you should send a link to this thread to SO or Springer?
But they do typically at the very end of the article, give "ATS link", but still no acknowledgment of the author.
Somehow, that's just not enough to suit me.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

After reading other people's comments, I guess I don't mind someone spreading my work in the attempt to share what we know......but is this site using our material to generate web hits or FB/tweeter activity? If so, I have a problem with that.

reply to post by ladyinwaiting

I am going to look at the site a little more. If I see anything that is a little fishy, I may send a note to the mods. It was my intention to only inform, not to stir the pot. But if something needs to be said, I will.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I went back to the site and now the ATS threads say

Posted by notmyposts
. I hope that whoever was doing this doesn't think that is it.

This doesn't state who the author is. It just states one of two things, one his name is notmypost or he will not take the time he took to steal the threads to now go back and write who wrote them.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
We're looking into this and Mark/Springer will be making contact and ensuring that our members receive proper credit.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

LOL! Nice find. All of the posts from "conspiracyman" have been changed over to "notmyposts"! It is clear that this person has read this thread. Good work people. What reason would they have to change the name of the person who posted the articles? Maybe it's time to let the big boys know....or maybe they already do.

Edit add: SO beat me to it. Thanks for looking out for us brother.

edit on 30-9-2010 by sheepslayer247 because: look above

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81
lol

I hope my enlightment threads get copy has many place possible ..
i dont need any credit for them

That's not the point.
The point is intellectual property is property like any other and should be respected.
That's why there are laws against piracy.

Anyone who has their work published elsewhere without their express permission could and should react to piracy by demanding immediate removal of the content and an apology - or proper credit.

It's not just about you, it's about an important principle.
It's about all of us.
It's high time that intellect gets at least the same respect that any ordinary item would if it were shoplifted.

edit on 30-9-2010 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
I guess one just has to suck it up and know someone liked your composition and the word will get out there. No copyright law here and copyright laws are a bit of a joke as far as the net is concerned anyway.

They are only a "joke" because people simply shrug and don't enforce the law (or just the basic courtesy of naming the source).

It is understood that anything you produce, be it photography, music or thoughts, is *your* intellectual property.
In case some particularly retarded people do not grasp that principle, try putting it in your signature.

You don't need a patent or something to have the right to own your own words!

"Sucking it up" is the worst thing one could do.
Condoning wrondoings is equal to perpetrating them.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I have asked this question a few times during this thread, and I don't know if there is a way to find out....but is this "conspiracyman" or "notmyposts" a member of ATS? I completely understand if there is no way of knowing. Thanks

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Just a quick update....The usahitman.com posts that I thought to be missing a link to the original ATS thread have links to the proper source.

I have noticed that they are now beginning to put a link to the original ATS thread before the post, as well as the end.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Have you seen the stupid copyright notice at the bottom of the page?

USAHITMAN.COM Uses The Fair Use Act For All Copyrighted Work, Including The Reproduction of Articles, Videos, Pictures & Documents For Secure Copies Of The Original Work/Information For The Purpose Of Criticism, Comments, News Reporting, Teaching, or Research and Other Reasons Deemed By USAHitman.com At Any Time...Any Use Of Your Article, Video, Picture or Document On This Site Is Not Copyright Infringement Because A Link Is Provided Back To Your Site And I Don't Claim The Rights Or The Research Into Some Posts. No Laws Apply To This Site, It's Users or It's Owner; And No One Can Prosecute Anyone For Anything Because The Internet Is A World That Doesn't Exist.

Looks like he knows he is taking advantage but doesn't think anyone can do anything about it...

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Pathetic that they have to resort to stealing material from here (or any site for that matter) to add to their site.. Sadly symptomatic of the lack of thinking and laziness in the west.. Just from the name of that site wouldnt waste my time visiting it... Now take this thread to cuba or Ill release the dancing purple penpuins of pain.. Oh wait not that type of thread hijacking.. Erm ... Carry on...

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

I read that disclaimer earlier, and it looks like it has been altered. Don't know for sure but definitely has been changed. I have no intentions of legal action, as I know there is no case, but I just wanted to point out that our threads were being used on other sites.

reply to post by Expat888

All I can do is laugh! Comedy...pure comedy. S for you my friend.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join