It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dieting and Exercise Aren't Effective Fat Loss Tools

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
OP giving out yet more terrible advice.
i secretly suspect someone is having problems losing weight and refuses to take reposnisbility for their own actions and finds it easier to blame everything and everyone but themselves.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

You are totally wrong!

If i diet at a deficit of 500 calories from 2000 which makes 1500 i will lose weight for maybe a month, maybe two if your lucky!

2 months on you jump on the scales and you notice you are no longer losing weight! this is because your body has adjusted to the calorific intake of 1500. Your muscle mass has reduced along with your fat but really you are just a lighter version of your old fat self!

Anyway you think right i have 2 more stone so you drop another 500 calories and start losing weight again! Two months on the same happens as above!

Congratulations you have just ruined your metabolism, you can no longer eat over 1000 calories without putting weight on. you have no energy! Not enough nutrients and in general you feel like utter #e so you start eating and binging and the pounds pile back on but this time because of your bodies defensive mechanisms you have gained and more!

You really have no idea what you are talking about! The evidence is before your eyes! People everywhere falling for the latest diet and doing the above then wandering why they are so fat when they eat hardly anything!

The only way back from this is a long hard thought out battle! I dunno about you but i would rather of created my calorie deficit with cardio and weights. But you carry on believing what you think and you will end up the same!

edit on 23-9-2010 by tommyb0y because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   

I actually took the time to read your OP and the links included.

Yes, the hormonal imbalance may be an indicator. It very well is in the overall solution. Science is an ever evolving process.

But as far as what WORKS for now, through the latest research in addition to age old research, is that caloric intake versus output is pretty much "weight Loss 101".

He might be onto something, but it needs to be studied more. For now though we have MILLIONS of testimonials for weight loss following the caloric and metabolic plan.

I'll keep my eye on the research of the guy in the OP though.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by thedeadtruth

I agree 100%

people are fat because they don't eat in moderation and don't exercise, full stop.

in the past 3 years Ive been 18 stone and dropped to 13.5 in the last year. and its through exercise and restricting the amount of rubbish i eat.

i got to 18 stone because i ate crap food , not from my blood sugar level.

before i got to 18 stone i was 12 stone and i decided i wanted to eat loads of rubbish food.

like you said its a cop out.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Everything weight related is due to hormones. Hormones effect every part of your existence. You diet and exercise to kind of "manipulate" the hormones. Plain and simple.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Quick question from the "Yank" side of the Pond.

What is a "stone"?

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

Then explain how when people join the gym and dedicate months to losing pounds it works for 99% of them! The people who don't think this works are those that went to the gym for two weeks saw no results and gave in, back to the "diet" that caused all the problems in the first place.

All this problems are down to misinfo and lack of knowledge, here i am explaining this all to you but STILL you dont listen and try to find excuses for not exercising 1 hour a day. Its sad and ridiculous.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
There are foods proven to trick your chemistry and hormonal balance.

Ingredients in Green Tea, Broccoli, Red Peppers, Almonds, Avocados, Omega 3, Chili Powder, Onions, Garlic, Etc. Etc. Etc.

There are so many foods and fats out there FIGHT fat and should be part of your daily routine.

I'm literally slicing an avocado right now in my kitchen to top my omelet. Why do I do that? Because it's a MUFA food which has fats that fight belly fat.

Educate yourselves on EVERYTHING. You need to to fight past the misinformation and our fat culture, processed food, and lack of vitamins.

Get back to basics of living like how we did when we were nomads. Your DNA remembers and your body WANTS to live that way again

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by AllInMyHead

Thank you for the tip. I will definitely check that out. I really need to find something because my husband and I decided that when we move to our new house...by the 30th...we will quit smoking. I am so ready but I have a huge fear that I will gain a lot of weight. I know that is ridiculous to think about but I just can't help it. I don't want to gain any weight.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by tommyb0y
reply to post by kimish

Then explain how when people join the gym and dedicate months to losing pounds it works for 99% of them! The people who don't think this works are those that went to the gym for two weeks saw no results and gave in, back to the "diet" that caused all the problems in the first place.

All this problems are down to misinfo and lack of knowledge, here i am explaining this all to you but STILL you dont listen and try to find excuses for not exercising 1 hour a day. Its sad and ridiculous.

You don't even NEED an hour a day. High Impact Interval Training for 20 minutes every two days. I have six pack abs (okay nearly) and look better than guys 10 years younger. I workout a total of 80 minutes a week when added up.

People spend more time on their computers in a DAY. It' sad how some think they have to kill themselves to lose weight. You DON'T.

A habit becomes a lifestyle and a lifestyle becomes your LIFE. It just takes a first step.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedeadtruth
Your body geared up to have a child but then it did not happen. Without the cycle being completed it will stay confused.

For women I think thedeadtruth does make a good point. I have always felt there is more to having a baby than pregnancy/delivery alone. For me I felt I had to complete the whole process to get my body back to normal, which included breastfeeding. From what I understand breastfeeding releases hormones that stimulate the uterus to return to it's normal size. I could feel it and it hurt. What else could these hormones be doing?

I lived at sea level until I was 27 and had to watch my weight a bit. I just couldn't loose that last 5-10 lbs after my first child, We moved to Colorado and went to work at a ski area with a base elevation of 9,000 ft. I lost that 10 lbs without even trying. My hubby lost weight too.

I had my second child here. I gained 50 lbs with him and lost it almost too fast. From what I understand Colorado had/has the lowest birth weight in the nation. I feel it's due to the altitude. There was a 1lb difference in my two babies. The smaller one was born here.

There are overweight people here in Colorado but if they were born here it might be possible their metabolism is "set" for this altitude. For people born at lower altitudes it's a shock to the bod to move to higher ground, which imo triggered something. Aside from the weight loss I saw other changes in my body that I attributed to hormones. My cycle was thrown off and shortened.

From what I've read Colorado has some of the leanest people in the nation. I stayed a skinny 100lbs for most of my life here now I'm a healthier 110lbs. I feel it's because the kids are grown and my work schedule has slowed. My body has settled into the weight it wants. Instead of high blood pressure mine is very low, almost too low and no diabetes. I have trouble with anemia though. The altitude factor might be something to look into.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Morningglory

Now it's elevation which might be the culprit? Geez

I live in Los Angeles (Sea Level) and we have the most in shape people in the nation...explain that.

And you probably lost WATER WEIGHT when your body adjusted to altitude. It happens all the time when I go up to the mountains to our cabin for a couple weeks. 5-10 pounds average.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   

reply to post by kimish

You TOTALLY took me out of context. I agree with you %100. Read my previous post at the beginning of this thread.
When you eat and EXERCISE, note i said exercise, you body is releasing and or suppressing hormones.

One word of advice, drink two cups of grapefruit juice immediately after an intense workout and it will spike your insulin levels.

edit on 23-9-2010 by kimish because: edit

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd
reply to post by nickendres

Congratulations. You're an athlete, unlike the majority of individuals. Once again, another post that completely ignores the points I've made regarding energy balance and hormonal influences.

Exactly, people who never had serious weight problems do not know the first thing about the "problem". Though patting themselves on the back for their brilliance and self discipline always feels good.

------------------------------

God what I wouldn't give to let all those self-righteous thin people have to deal with the problem for 5 years. It would shut them up forever. You would not believe what its like. It would astound you. You would be amazed at how hard you have to work just to stay below your normal obese weight. How you will walk around perpetually hungry. Your capacity for an increase on the scales would blow you away. If I am thin, which I have been several times by forcing myself there, then I will be starving myself to both get there and stay there. You seriously have no clue.

People have a serious misconception about obese people. Many of us do not sit around all day at the computer doing nothing and choking back big macs. I am quite active myself. I currently hike regularly and walk, because I like it. In the past I have bicycled and weight trained. Very hard work to just maintain a low weight. Any, and I mean any slacking will quickly catch up. My wife cleans houses and does the above - all this has made little difference in weight. The largest effect I have ever noticed is really through diet. The problem being that the diet cannot be maintained and so therefore the weight loss cannot either. If any of you have ever been seriously overweight you will know what I'm talking about. The first 30 to 40 lbs goes but things slow down. It always takes an ever increasing amount of dieting and exercise to move the scales down further. This is when you reach a plateau and when most people get discouraged. Imagine doing all that work day in and day out, the discipline of sticking to your healthy diet plan, feeling hungry and exercising every day. Only to maintain a less weight that is still over weight. What happens when the will to continue falters? In all reality many of you really don't know what it is like. You will tell me different and say a loss of 20 lbs makes you a veteran. I will respect the opinion and advice of someone who was once seriously overweight and lost it all and kept it off for years and years. In fact I would love to hear from such a person.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Ong Bak

You can secretly suspect what you want. There are plently of members here that know what I do and have seen current pictures of me. So, go ahead and keep making off-topic comments in response to every post I make.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Prove_It_NOW

But as far as what WORKS for now, through the latest research in addition to age old research, is that caloric intake versus output is pretty much "weight Loss 101".

The latest research, and that of the past 100 years, suggests that it's not simply calories in vs. calories out. A calorie is not a calorie, so to speak. Quality is much more important than quantity.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by MegaMind

If you are having problems losing weight and you are active like you say than maybe you need more strenious activities. I see people at the gym work out and do cardio and don't lose anything. I have actually gone up to some of these people and told them "hey, you need more time on the tread mill or you need to pick up the pace on the tread mill" or with weight training I would simply suggest more weight. And guess what, it worked for them. People are always coming to me for advice and I am always willing to help. My point is is that you can be active, have your diet spot on but if your not pushing your self hard enough with the exercises you won't get the desired results. If you are exercising now and not getting results just tweek your routine. And I'm assuming your diet is spot on for your body. And as you probably already know, the results don't come over night.

I'm sounding like a broken record here because I've already posted what I'm about to say like twice already, but someone try this and if you don't lose anything totally discredit anything I ever say again. Now, this is assuming your DIET is already where it needs to be because your diet (what you eat, how often, when and portions size) is the single most important thing. PERIOD.
Do cardio, keep and maintain the SAME PACE for at least 15-20 minutes. Now, you can't simply just jump on a treadmill or an elipticle machine or jog or, my favorite walk, you can do those but the important factors are to maintain an elevated heart rate while ie, jogging, at the same pace for 15-20 minutes.
If anyone on this board is a certified personal trainer they would back me up on this.

edit on 23-9-2010 by kimish because: edit

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
The Defoe work "Robinson Crusoe" was based on a true story. The man, Alexander Selkirk, was marooned on the uninhabited Juan Fernandez island off Chile for FIVE YEARS with nothing but a knife. He subsisted on the shellfish he could gather with his hands, and mainly on the wild goat population of the island, by RUNNING AFTER THEM AND CATCHING THEM WITH HIS BARE HANDS. Talk about High Intensity Intervals! This would consist of all out sprints, highly motivated by hunger, interspersed with rest periods. Hmm.

He also milked the goats, and lived on meat, milk, wild turnips, cabbage, and berries. Over the years, a couple of Spanish ships stopped at the island, and tried to capture him as a pirate, but he easily evaded them until they gave up. When finally rescued by a British ship, he at first astounded his saviors. "They were startled by the “wildman” running at them along the beach. Woodes Rodgers later remarked his amazement at Selkirk’s agility, "He ran with wonderful swiftness through the woods and up the rocks and hills…. We had a bull-dog, which we sent with several of our nimblest runners to help him in catching goats; but he distanced and tired both the dog and men…"

He was also the basis for "Ben Gunn" in "Treasure Island". He told his rescuers he could recommend nothing better for a man who wanted to become fit than to be left on a deserted island, running after goats. In later life, he always wished he was back on his island. He was a true pioneer of HIIT, along with all hunter gatherers. It is what our bodies are designed for, this is why it works the best.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   

You are totally wrong!

If i diet at a deficit of 500 calories from 2000 which makes 1500 i will lose weight for maybe a month, maybe two if your lucky!

2 months on you jump on the scales and you notice you are no longer losing weight! this is because your body has adjusted to the calorific intake of 1500. !

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're repeating what I posted in the OP. What eventually happens, because 1500 calories isn't enough to sustain daily physiological functions, is a return to stable fat mass via increased hunger/eating.

Your muscle mass has reduced along with your fat but really you are just a lighter version of your old fat self

And this does not apply to all restricted calorie diets. The composition of weight lost is macronutrient dependent.

Congratulations you have just ruined your metabolism, you can no longer eat over 1000 calories without putting weight on. you have no energy! Not enough nutrients and in general you feel like utter #e so you start eating and binging and the pounds pile back on but this time because of your bodies defensive mechanisms you have gained and more!

You really have no idea what you are talking about! The evidence is before your eyes! People everywhere falling for the latest diet and doing the above then wandering why they are so fat when they eat hardly anything!

The only way back from this is a long hard thought out battle! I dunno about you but i would rather of created my calorie deficit with cardio and weights. But you carry on believing what you think and you will end up the same!

First of all.. Fat cells are not dump trucks. There are metabolic pathways regulated by hormones that control fat deposition and release.

Why are you arguing with me? You're repeating much of what I posted in the OP....

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

Thanks for the advice. You see that IS the problem it takes ever more to get there and keep it. It is actually quite ridiculous. Other people are quick to dismiss the work done by someone overweight because they look lazy. I was walking 4 miles a day in about an hour - a good pace. Eating my diet and working out, weight training 3 days a week. Yeah sure I lose weight - especially in the beginning, but then it slowed to almost no weight loss at all and now I'm painted in a corner. What if I slow down in my exercise a little or ease up on my diet (more calories)? Well I start to go up again. So now my reduced calorie diet becomes my permanent diet. I seriously considered walking 8 miles a day 4 in the morning and 4 in the evening, but I didn't have the time.

My last weight loss effort was a successful loss of 100lbs (290 to 190). I did a new (new for me been around since 70s) diet that promised big results. And it delivered. It was 500 calories a day and a shot of HCG a hormone regulated by the hypathalamus. The problem is that I can't maintain that diet - obviously - and I can't find a life style that will let me maintain my 190 without feeling hungry all the time. Its not like I didn't try to maintain, it was after all hard as hell to lose 100 lbs. But gradually every couple of weeks another 2 lbs was added to the scales. Short of dieting nothing stopped the slow increase. If I just didn't eat much I would get hungry and miserable. I walked 4 miles a day again but even that didn't stop the slow increase. Now I have regained 70 lbs of my 100 lost. I must, diet again, in order to keep from regaining my previous weight or worse yet risk exceeding my old weight.

edit on 23-9-2010 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-9-2010 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join