It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dieting and Exercise Aren't Effective Fat Loss Tools

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

i disagree with you. my family is slightly overwight but im in good shape. i workout 10 hours of intense workout a week to keep the way i am. I eat heathly and workout. Im not fat. my dad eats whatever and is overwight and doesent work out 97% of fat people are fat because they are lazy. they try a diet but fail after two weeks. It takes month to see changes in your body.

edit on 23-9-2010 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-9-2010 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

This is complete nonsense. Fat people aren't lazy. I'm not lazy. I've got tons of discipline. I like being active. I like the exercise. I love the way I feel when my heart is pounding, I'm pouring sweat, lungs on fire because I pushed myself to the limit coming up that 800 ft climb on a trail in the mountains.

I have seen massive amounts of change in my body from 100lbs overweight to 5lbs overweight. But what I can't stand is constantly feeling hungry to maintain it. That is what I can't keep going. Constantly fighting my body's desire for more food. The constant deprivation. If I eat to where I am satisfied, eating healthy, I will regain. It will be slow but steady. Week after week despite the exercise I will slowly but surely regain. The ONLY way to stop it is to eat less - eat less and be hungry.

edit: of course eventually I will level out at like 100lbs overweight. Then I don't go up anymore. Its simple - I can diet and exercise and lose weight. To maintain that lower weight I must feel like I'm hungry all the time - exercise or not makes little difference. If I eat to my normal satisfaction I'll regain my previous weight and then some - again exercise or not makes little difference.

Most of you will not believe what I wrote above. It makes no sense to anyone but its true. It goes against all the traditional ideas. But I tell you the body has a weight set point and it will make you hungry if it needs to get you to it. It will maintain that high set point even if you over eat. When I reach my weight limit I can eat anything and everything and never go up any higher. If I diet and lose weight my set point will go even higher. How else did I get to the point of being 100lbs over weight - By dieting!! My past set points were 220, 250, 270 and finally 290. Each weight was stable until I dieted resulting in the new weight! I mean that I ate what ever I wanted and stayed at those previous weights. After dieting and exercise I could not maintain my old weight without remaining hungry.

edit on 23-9-2010 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Fitness can be ez, you just need to flip

This is what worked for my neighbor

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Rubbish. Diet and exercise ARE the key to weight loss. Unbelievable that anybody would believe otherwise. Unless you have thyroid issues, it's impossible to gain weight if you burn as many calories and you consume. If you can do that, you've just created a virtual perpetual energy source. You should patent yourself and make a million.

At 48, I underwent cardiac bypass surgery. I was not obese by any stretch of the imagination but I wanted to lose 20 lbs. or so. I watched my diet and started hitting the gym 3 days a week and I lost the weight. There are always medical exceptions to the rules but the rule is and has always been, diet and exercise.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimish
And I really don't think grapefruit juice after a work out will cause Hyperinsulinemia.

Nah...sure wouldn't. But (a little off topic) you could try and get a post workout drink that contains no fructose, considering fructose does nothing to stimulate insulin secretion. (though, it does help replenish glycogen quicker)

. BTW, you never listed your credentials for me. You seem very knowledgeable. Good for you. If only more people were like that...

I don't have any credentials as of yet. I've been training and counseling people independently, on the side for the past 4 or 5 years. A degree in biochemistry looms in the future. Until then, I'm currently working on multiple certifications for personal training.

But how does insulin being anabolic lock fat into fat cells? That doesn't make sense considering anabolic means the building of muscle. Anabolism in effect will also BURN fat, not store it.

Anabolism is quite literally the building up of tissues. The triglycerides in fat cells were once simply 3 fatty acids and a glycerol molecule. Those molecules joining to form larger molecules in fat cells is a process of anabolism.

And it is true that anabolism in most cases, like muscle hypertrophy, requires ATP and ADP for energy, and in most cases this energy is derived through fat oxidation during rest.

Insulin effects multiple pathways. Most importantly, Lipoprotein Lipase (LPL), the gatekeeper of fat. Insulin will activiate LPL in adipocytes causing them to hyrodlyze (break down) the triglycerides in VLDL allowing them to enter the fat cells (triglycerides are too large to cross the cell wall). Interestingly, the stimulus of insulin does the opposite to LPL on muscles...so, when insulin is present, muscle cells burn glucose and fat cells uptake fat. Intense exercise also increases LPL activity in muscles....

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Cut down on your carbs. It is so simple.

Not for a few weeks, but for ever. It really works.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by MegaMind

I agree 100%. Appetite control is a bear. And it doesn't matter what you do, how you eat, how much exercise you get, you are HUNGRY! I totally get it. And it's tough if not impossible to fight the urge to eat when you're hungry. I have been blessed with anxiety that keeps my diet in check.
If not for that, I would eat constantly.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Prove_It_NOW

Originally posted by Death_Kron

Originally posted by Prove_It_NOW
Go look at all the people at the gym doing 'cardio' hours a day and still fat. All the women at the YMCA who swim endless miles....still FAT. All the treadmill joggers and elliptical bike people.....STILL FAT.

Why? Because 'cardio' SUCKS for fat loss. Cardio is the most mythical way to lose weight and the most recent studies have proved it. Large muscle groups + reduced caloric intake = effective

That's because they aren't putting in the required intensity, of course cardio works for weight loss but you need to work hard enough, not swim at a leisurely pace or go on the treadmill for fun.

Long term cardio actually HARMS your body, harms your lung capacity, harms your overall wellness and AGES you faster.

Cardio SUCKS. I would NEVER tell someone to jog or do cardio for 'better health'.

WHOA nelly. I agree with you about lifting heavy weights. If you only do cardio and dont lift youll look like Richard Simmons. YOU'LL BE A SKINNY FAT PERSON. But if all you do is lift heavy weight and do near to no cardio you cant walk up a flight of stairs without giving out of breath. mma/boxers fighters in general have to be in probably the best shape of any athletes on the planet and they do all kinds of cardio jogging, jump roping, sprints you name it.

The truth is YOU NEED to do it all!! Eating right, lifting and cardio!!! who wants to be able to run 5 miles and not able to bench a 100lbs, who wants to be able to bench 400lbs but cant run a mile or keep your hands up in a fight for 30 seconds? You dont see many people who can jog and lift heavy weights because most people dont have that kinda dedication.

Last year i was up to jogging almost 5 miles on the road and i could still max 370 on the BP. i was doing some mma training and i was a machine. Still sporting 18"guns.

When i was younger it was all about how much i could lift and how big i could get but i was in sorry shape and couldnt run half a mile. Screw having all that muscle if you dont have a strong heart to feed it oxygen. All that strength withers away once you run out of gas and if you only got 30 secs in your tank your pretty worthless and are DONE if your competing with someone in shape. A lot of bodybuilders cant climb stairs without huffing.

Btw someone was asking someone to post their pics, here are mine from last year. I might not be as built as some of you here claim to be but anyone who could jog 5 miles and bench 370 put alot of work in and knows a little something
So people keep listening to these guys who cant jog a mile or bench their own weight. Ill tell you all what it takes to lose fat and be in shape not just look in shape HARD HARD HARD HARD HARD work .

w8lifter1.tripod.com...

edit on 23-9-2010 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

Mod Edit: Excessive Bolding – Please Review This Link.

edit on 23/9/2010 by Mirthful Me because: BBCode.

edit on 23-9-2010 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Good for you! I hope all goes well with your certifications
I'm sure you will find your training very gratifying. Alot of people that have read this thread will be thanking you as well.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
The best way to reset and refresh the hypothalamus is by taking HCG(Human chorionic gonadotropin). From my experience, hcg has done miracles for me. Google it for more info.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   

thats the biggest BS i heard in a long time. so fat people are fat because they are lazy because of there fatness?
NO! they got fat because they are lazy and are to lazy to get back into shape. its not hard to devote 1/2 hour a day to exercise.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by et7er7ni7ty
The best way to reset and refresh the hypothalamus is by taking HCG(Human chorionic gonadotropin). From my experience, hcg has done miracles for me. Google it for more info.

Have you maintained your loss. I lost 100lbs on it but regained 70lbs. I struggled mightily in the early days right after my weight loss was complete. I did the recommended steak days (you probably know what this is) - but they became completely ineffective at reducing the weight or maintaining my weight. I just kept going up - little by little. Trying everything short of all out dieting again to keep it stable. I may do it again - I have to do something.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss

thats the biggest BS i heard in a long time. so fat people are fat because they are lazy because of there fatness?
NO! they got fat because they are lazy and are to lazy to get back into shape. its not hard to devote 1/2 hour a day to exercise.

Ridiculous! You think a half hour a day is all I need -
Damn! If only that simple
I would like to say what I really think but I would get banned.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by et7er7ni7ty

That may not be for everyone. Taking hcg is fantastic but it could screw with your HPTA just like anabolic androgenic steroids can. You should have put a disclaimer under that post! lol!

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

One straight half hour, no stopping, of hard core cardio will whip you into shape. But the thing is is practically nobody wants to do hardcore cardio for 30 minutes non stop.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   

well your not doing it right then. maybe you should pay me to help you!

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
This thread is major fail. Doing sports is not effective fat loss? WTF ???
This is retarded as to claim that wind forms from the swinging of trees.

Althought apart from the title the text inself doesn't include fallacies but it's still misleading, long, and utterly pointless as natural metabolism is something everyone should be aware of.
There's nothing more behind losing weight that using more calories than you consume, and that fat starts to burn after 30min of workout. I hate to see pseudo-intellectual bull#.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

I know it's tough to understand. But that's no need to get fiesty.

Here, chew on this..How many overweight UPS drivers have you seen in your lifetime? Do you have any idea how much physically demanding labor that is?

Nothing? Next time you're driving down the road take a look at the road workers that work 8 hours a day in the heat lifting heavy things....

These things must be considered. And since you want to ignore the science...all I can do is give you som real world examples of people "exercising" all day long and still overweight.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Nice post. This is one of those potentially "parameter (or paradigm) shifting" threads. Could be one of those profound moments with a simple, elegant change of perspective allows us to see things as they really are.

My question, then, is if laziness is caused by obesity, then how do people get obese in the first place? There won't be much fat to store in their cells if they don't consume too much fat, perhaps? Or, are you saying that no matter what you eat, it gets digested and stored as fat.

I'm a fan of the show Survivor (please, no curses!). Over the course of about a month, these people have very little to eat, and viewers get to see them lose quite a bit of weight. By not eating as much, they aren't giving their bodies as much to store away. At a certain point, their bodies are forced (?) to release fat from cells to feed them as they starve.

I recently (last March) got a new job. Unfortunately, parking is a *real issue.* I park about 1/3 mile from where I work, and am forced to make that trip twice a day (to and from). Since March, I have been able to comfortably fit into a pair of slacks that were formerly too tight (waaaay too tight) for me. I must have lost about 2 inches off my waist, maybe three. For me, it seems that walking is helping me build muscle (legs) which in turn burns more fat. I have been told and have read that having more muscle helps a body burn fat, that muscles are "fat burning machines."

Is there a connection between insulin production and how much muscle mass a person has? How do you explain Sumo wrestlers?

I think that if obese people changed their state and stopped being sedentary/lazy/lethargic, and got off the couch and went for a mile-long walk *every* day, they might see a surprising change in their physique. How do you explain "The Biggest Loser," where fat people lose lots of weight?

I'm not challenging you. I'm trying to reconcile observable evidence/examples with your very interesting and quite profound theory. Also, one last questions. Do you think people can apply QUANTUM THEORY and INTENTION in changing their physiques with little/no exercise? Can people "envision" a healthier version of themselves and somehow manifest it without exercise? OR, perhaps, can Quantum "envisioning" simply *assist* a person who works-out and exercises regularly? Maybe "intention" and effort, when combined, can lead to dazzling results.

Last words for this reply: I recommend that if you're obese, to just take a mile-long walk every day --if you can. I think that will help regardless of insulin levels.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Oh, GREAT post, btw. Starred and flagged. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
The headline screamed at me: "I was written by an American". However I can't/shouldn't be that crass.

The actual fact is that as you age past your mid-20's, your metabolism slows, which means you burn less calories and you break down foods with a high glycaemic index (GI) - and thus put ON WEIGHT.

This is the case regardless of whether you have the same eating habits, consistently, which nobody really does anyway, but that's besides the point. Couple that with the fact that high GI foods give you an adrenaline kick (or spike), which, afterwards, can make you feel tired which means you do less and burn more calories - again, this is regardless of whether you claim to have "Definitely not changed a thing, at all in, twenty years" - which is just totally absurd, as habits do change, like it or not.

So yes, diet and exercise DOES work, provided you don't consume more calories than you burn and also, in later life, provided that you have a sensible diet. Adapt to low GI foods (brown bread instead of white, wholegrain pasta instead of white, etc).

The truck analogy, in biological terms makes no sense whatsoever. Especially for the single reason that it presumes that humans "run" on only fat.

Actually... if you do use this truck analogy, and consume only fat, then you're WAY beyond any help. At all.

This post is a complete waste of time and undermines the intelligence of anyone with half a brain. Utterly Depressing.

By the way I'm a qualified dietician. Thanks.

edit on 23/9/2010 by TailoredVagabond because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join