It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dieting and Exercise Aren't Effective Fat Loss Tools

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

He also went without refined sugars, refined flours, breads, rice, and pasta.

Refined foods are the definitive problem in most diets. Refined foods are what begins the insulin resistance and snowballs into the metabolic syndrome.

Eating no refined foods, less canned foods, more natural fresh and frozen foods, and less preservatives is the first step anyone can take to lose weight. Beating Metabolic Syndrome or even pre-diabetes (insulin resistance) is the key to long term maintenance.

The problem is, in the US, so many people are already insulin resistant in their teens and finding themselves becoming diabetic in their younger years, like their 20's instead of their 40's to 50's now. It only takes as little as 20 lbs over your "normal" weight to set off the insulin resistance in some people.

Watch the advertising and you can see it for yourself, all they do is push carbs. Our society revolves around carbs. Breads, flours, rice, and pastas.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd
reply to post by Spirit Warrior 11:11

Well, at least you admitted to reacting to the title.

Dieting literally means restricting calories. And exercise, to most people, is to achieve a negative caloric balance. Neither of these things work in the long term.

Thanks for the comments, though.

I know what dieting is. Secondly, my post is about a healthy lifestyle as opposed to BS dieting. Negative caloric balance is unnecessary with the correct lifestyle. Even extra calories may be processed by the body and taken care of without fat gain if you have the proper lifestyle. I specifically included that they are not effective tools especially in the long term.

My post is not about dieting or losing weight specifically. With the proper lifestyle these things are completely unnecessary because the body will self regulate. Give the body what it needs and it will work for you. Put a bunch of crap in the tank, restrict necessary nutrients and exercise and a fat ass is what you will have waiting for you.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by tommyb0y

Bingo!! Put effort in people you gotta feel the pain, you gotta feel that heart thumping, you gotta feel like you might puke every once in a while. Do some real cardio. No pain no gain is so so true. These slow paced sunday walks at 2.0 mph aint gonna get you in shape. You gotta have some heart and get in warrior mode and push yourself.

edit on 23-9-2010 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by MegaMind

You're on the right track, keep your diet the way you had it when you lost the weight but pick up the pace on the 4 mile walk. Or even walk at a faster pace or jog the four miles. Weight training is excellent because resistance training increases testosterone and other hormones that activate your androgen receptors that lie in your adipose tissue and that in turn burns fat. One excellent thing to consider is to do cardio for 15-20 minutes before your weight lifting and always, eat immediately after your work out. What you eat after your workout is very important though, so do your home work and good luck!

edit on 23-9-2010 by kimish because: edit

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by tommyb0y

Thank you. You're the first person to bring up the fact that our body ADAPTS. That if you lower caloric intake and exercise, at first you'll lose weight. But how many people change up what they do? How many Dick and Janes know that our body will adjust its metabolism to what we're doing? That to keep progressing we need to change the routine and 'keep the body guessing'. Up until your post the op has been saying that 'diet and exercise wont work long term'. The same diet and exercise won't work long term but if you adjust it you'll keep seeing results.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ker2010

THANK YOU! I've been saying that over and over! Elevated heart rate! You're not going to get that at a slow or mediocre pace. Pain is weakness leaving the body my friends.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

Brilliant! Bravo!

I am 42 years old and in awesome shape (one of the few). But I have noticed these ridiculous inconsistancies with my minor weight gains and losses. (+/- 5 lbs many times over my adult life)

I have noticed that when I should be gaining weight, like on vacation and eating out like a pig, a lot of times I lose weight. Sometimes I attribute it to the amount of exercise I get on vacation, but I have always wondered if it had to do with how much booze I drink. I mix captain morgans with Dr. Pepper (NON DIET).

Seems like I actually lose weight probably because it is affecting my insulin even though common sense would tell you that all that sugar should be making me fat.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
This is fascinating article. Wow what thread,…Its very intresting….. I have a feeling the weight loss folks had it wrong? My experience tells me something different….
When I was in my teens I bet the hormones were have party at this time, I was active kid, rode my bike every chance I could. I went to the doctors and I was told in front of my MOM by the doctor that you are 10lbs over weight.. I was about 140 lbs 5’4” All I heard that day I was fat!! I had to go on diet. I felt so horrible embarrassed that day. Then the diet nightmare began Mom put me on one. Then the Yo yo game began. By time I graduation day came I was 210 lbs…I was miserable …Didn’t want to ride he bike didn’t want to go out, I just wanted to hide in my room…

I don’t know how but I pretty much said that summer I never go on another diet again, I was fat and that just the way it’s going to be. I don’t care. I refuse to go another diet and would not step on the scale like ever. I would eat what ever I want to when I wanted too….Well six months had past, younger brother who tease me so horrifically about being fat said you lost weight? I probably told him to shut up. He was probably setting me up for the next fat joke…He said your pants are baggy. This was back in the 80s..Baggy pants were in…He had no joke he just said you look good. What diet have you been on? I said I gave them up... Out of pure curiosity I step on the scale I was 160 lbs ??? How the heck?? 6 months later was back to 140lbs…stay there for years with little breathing room as I call it back then at times but 10lbs give or take here…

Well now I am in 45 three years ago I took on part time job…along with the full time one both Jobs I am on my feet, active jobs….Well I am at 120 lbs…Wonder how the heck that happen I eat all the time. I always eat when I want to and what ever I want…Last time I went to the Doctors all test came back you are healthy…He ask me what diet I was on wonder about the recent weight loss? I told him not to worry about it, Your test say I am healthy lets leave it at that…He scratched his head wanting to do more test….I said no …. I am healthy no worries… I do eat all the time and If I want cookie I have one…Not like back in day when I was on diet and was told those things were bad, and you had those moments you wanted cookie you could not stop when you found box of them and then you found yourself eating the whole box.

Here is my theory, since I live it, it’s based on no science but base on my experience…I always thank my body for doing what it does….If I tend to over work it, I take nice long hot bath and pamper it…kind of thing going on here…No matter what eat I state its good for me...
What has change, second job is apart of it, I say the body is amazing thing and it will naturally do what it needs to do… it can and will adapted to its surroundings…..

When I gave myself the permission to eat what I want to eat when I wanted to eat I found myself only eating when I was hungry that tended to be like 6-7 times a day some days not so much some days I am like gessh I think I ate everything under the sun… I Eat wide Varity of things, some how I know what my body needs as the food source that will best for me…

My daughter grew up in house hold in this way, we never had scale in the house….The thought of stepping on one never cross her mind until she go to the Check ups and friends would like mention a diet…She laugh at them We don’t do that here. She has never had weight issue and is healthy…I observe her eating habits there what you call healthier then mine are….She loves veggies fruits and wont drink soda or coffee. Once she told me that almonds taste like chocolate I should give that up, I told her I don’t think so…In my world Chocolate taste good and it’s good for me….

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Even if all the information in DevolutionEvolvd's post is correct, the fact still remains that studies have shown repeatedly the huge benefits of eating healthy and getting regular exercise.

I have struggled with obesity for most of my life. Last December someone gave me a discount coupon to a local gym and I signed up. So far, I've lost 27 pounds of fat and put on around 4 pounds of muscle (with resistance training and dieting). I've lost several inches and two clothing sizes so far.

It is my understanding that in order to lose stored fat you must eat less calories than you are consuming. ( I did not become obese and then eat too much LOL) I definitely ate too much and then became obese! (I stored the excess calories as fat). Anyway, if you have a better idea for how I can get the rest of the weight off (I've got around 28 more pounds I want to lose) that would mean I would not have to "diet", please tell me what it is!!!

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimish

One word of advice, drink two cups of grapefruit juice immediately after an intense workout and it will spike your insulin levels.

Do you understand why insulin stimulation is important postworkout?

To replenish glycogen in the liver and in muscle....but also because insulin is an ANABOLIC hormone. Hyperinsulinemia is a problem. It will, in effect, "lock" fat in the fat cells.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SusanForKucinich

Even if all the information in DevolutionEvolvd's post is correct, the fact still remains that studies have shown repeatedly the huge benefits of eating healthy and getting regular exercise.

Absolutely. Eating healthily and exercising intensely for the metabolic effects are not for caloric balance.

It is my understanding that in order to lose stored fat you must eat less calories than you are consuming. ( I did not become obese and then eat too much LOL) I definitely ate too much and then became obese! (I stored the excess calories as fat). Anyway, if you have a better idea for how I can get the rest of the weight off (I've got around 28 more pounds I want to lose) that would mean I would not have to "diet", please tell me what it is!!!

Eating too much of certain foods that spike insulin levels and cause insulin resistance caused an increase in hunger and overconsumption of foods. The idea is to avoid carbohydrates that abnormally spike blood sugars and insulin. And to avoid industrial seed oils and other processed fats that promote insulin resistance.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Everything stated by OP is true. I am guessing we humans were not designed to live much above 40, but of course with today's medicine and comforts, we have extended our lifespan into the "battle of the bulge" zone. I believe the Belly Fat Diet is the answer, by Jorge Cruise. It is no Atkins or South Beach, its a moderate carb plan that severely limits sugar and allows good fats and animal protein sources.

www.facebook.com...

edit on 23-9-2010 by jymmyjaymes because: addition of link relating to post

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimish

One word of advice, drink two cups of grapefruit juice immediately after an intense workout and it will spike your insulin levels.

Do you understand why insulin stimulation is important postworkout?

To replenish glycogen in the liver and in muscle....but also because insulin is an ANABOLIC hormone. is a problem. It will, in effect, "lock" fat in the fat cells.

Yes I understand ALL of it, that is why I said immediately after an intense workout, to help shuttle all the nutrients into the muscles to keep your body anabolic, this is assuming your also consuming proteins after the workout as well. And I really don't think grapefruit juice after a work out will cause Hyperinsulinemia. If that were the case I would have been diabetic years ago. BTW, you never listed your credentials for me. You seem very knowledgeable. Good for you. If only more people were like that...

But how does insulin being anabolic lock fat into fat cells? That doesn't make sense considering anabolic means the building of muscle. Anabolism in effect will also BURN fat, not store it.

edit on 23-9-2010 by kimish because: edit

edit on 23-9-2010 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   

i disagree with you. my family is slightly overwight but im in good shape. i workout 10 hours of intense workout a week to keep the way i am. I eat heathly and workout. Im not fat. my dad eats whatever and is overwight and doesent work out 97% of fat people are fat because they are lazy. they try a diet but fail after two weeks. It takes month to see changes in your body.

edit on 23-9-2010 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-9-2010 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Otsego

LOL...jesus christ...It's really important to read the OP of a thread in which you're commenting..

Self Regulating System

1 pound of body fat is approximately 3500 calories. That's about 30 large apples. So, considering you're weight stable, if you were to eat 1 extra apple per day for the next year, you should gain 1 pound of fat per month. And, conversely, if you were to eat 1 less apple per day, you should lose 1 pound of fat per month. Right? Well, no. Not really.

Most individuals live their adult lives with little fluctuations in body fat. If the above was true, it would take amazing conscious effort to calculate the amount of food we need to maintain a stable fat mass. Luckily, we have a perfect system of hormones coupled with brain regions that are unconsciously devoted to maintaining a stable environment. When this system works correctly, it matches intake and expenditure, resulting in no gain and no loss. This match in energy intake and expenditure is achieved by influencing hunger, heat exchange and movement.

That, my friend, is adaption. The body is a system that adapts to fat storages and energy intake...as well as other factors (temperature, energy expenditure, etc.).

When you say the body adapts by changing metabolism, that's exactly what I was referring to when I said, "This match in energy intake and expenditure is achieved by influencing hunger, heat exchange and movement."

Metabolism is the net result of anabolism (building up of organs/tissues) and catabolism (the break down of tissue/organs for energy). It's really important to understand this as hunger, thermogenesis, muscle contractions and hormone stimulation ALL affect the balance between anabolism and catabolism, the end result being metabolism.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

Well, most people are lazy because they're fat, not the other way around. THAT is what the mounds of research suggests. Do I need to start providing you guys with studies now?

And, once again, you're confusing intense exercise and healthy eating as pertaining solely to a "negative caloric balance".

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Absolutely. Eating healthily and exercising intensely for the metabolic effects are not for caloric balance.

So dieting and exercise ARE effective fat loss tools.

Glad we all agree, now we can get over this nonsense (and get to work on our bodies if necessary).

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Spirit Warrior 11:11

Ok, but you told me I was wrong and then went on an off topic rant indicating you, like many others, didn't read the OP....so. Just sayin'

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Great thread.Alot of information that could be useful to most adults.Altho some of us with diseases that are on strict diets would not benefit from this.I have and was diagnosed with PCOS(Polysystic Overian Syndrome) last July and since being put on medication to control the things it does to me among those is making me gain and hold weight no matter what i do to avoid it.I have since lost 140lbs because i was unable to eat the foods i prefered over what i eat now on a daily basis.I have a stricter diet than diabetics and i have not lost anymore weight in the past 4 months because my disease is under control but the intake of the food i ae to eat to live is full of fat even tho its sugar free.I have seen many items in the stores that say sugar free yet have natural sugars in them.

www.womentowomen.com...

What are the symptoms of PCOS?
The most common symptoms of PCOS are irregular or absent periods, infertility, increased hair growth and acne. Unusual weight gain, even with dieting or increased exercise, is very common, although thin women also can have PCOS. Women with PCOS will often go for months without a period and then start bleeding heavily for days. This occurs when the uterine lining has gotten too thick and the body must naturally shed it. Because PCOS disrupts ovulation it can be very difficult to become pregnant.

Other signs of PCOS include acne, high blood pressure, obesity, and abnormal facial and body hair growth (due to too much testosterone). One of the less recognizable symptoms of PCOS is depression, which can be misread as a bipolar illness. While depression stems from many factors, we think it is always a good idea to consider PCOS if patients have other symptoms. In some medical practices antidepressants are prescribed which do not alleviate the underlying issues and therefore are not very helpful.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Great thread. Interesting read.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join