It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Mars

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Seems to me that those algorithms are for (and it is warranted) the protection of the Rovers, or any other quasi- or semi-autonomous space exploration device for future.

When you say you think they can also be programmed to "filter out" specific things....I can't see that as the reason for the algorithms.

Now, does it not seem logical that IF the things sense something that it thinks might be a hazard, it will stop and query controllers? Passing the buck, so to speak? Of course, advances in robotics always march on (or roll on!) and these sort of autonomous actions are improving with each generation, I would think.

Still, if you're trying to imply that they ( the Rovers ) have the capacity to scan a scene, and "detect" something that is "verboten"....in other words, something to "hide" (not dangerous, just contraband-like) and alert JPL, for additional action....then I think you may have some more convincing to do.

I mean, just how many different "patterns" have to be programmed in? The task, the numbers, seem daunting, when you consider all of the variables, all of the many things that would indicate past or current technological presence.

But, something like "big rock in way" or "big hole dead ahead", etc....limits the list (and also, requires a lot less memory, I would think).

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Man those widgey didgey gifs are hypnotizing.

I wanna make widgey didgey gifs like that now - what software you guys using? GIF maker? I make mine in CS3 - but the ones you guys make ArMaP and E1 are wicked!

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Object recognition algorithms are relatively common in robotics, the hard part would be the replacement of something on an image with something else, because in that case the algorithm must blend the new image with the old in a way that is not noticeable and has to chose an image that does not look out of place on the original.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I agree Armap, the rover is moving to the left.

With the "moving rock" being further back it looks as though it moves right to left as the rover moves to the left.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by watchZEITGEISTnow

I use Animation Shop (an old copy that came with Paint Shop Pro), Photoshop or The Gimp.

The Gimp is freeware.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
reply to post by zorgon

Object recognition algorithms are relatively common in robotics, the hard part would be the replacement of something on an image with something else, because in that case the algorithm must blend the new image with the old in a way that is not noticeable and has to chose an image that does not look out of place on the original.

Not seen the PS5 new fill feature?

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   

reply to post by watchZEITGEISTnow

I use Animation Shop (an old copy that came with Paint Shop Pro), Photoshop or The Gimp.

The Gimp is freeware.

"bring out the gimp!"...

"but the gimps asleep..."

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Skeptics?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5a8291587b2d.jpg[/atsimg]

This is the other half that didn't came out in a early pic.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a42f4d5f55d1.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f35ca4db26a2.jpg[/atsimg]

In the last photo their is a drawing on the flor I forgot to trace it out, tell me if you can describe what it is?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/de12f6cac6b7.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 10-9-2010 by BIONICLE ALEX because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Now, I know that he was run off the forum. But Zorgon never really got to see his story:

AstroEngineer's Thread - Why I Left NASA: A Curiosity Of Spirit

My thread asking WTH his thread was locked

AstroEngineer's Blog

His story, in its entirety

Zorgon has went off 1 or 20 times about the very behavior we saw with AstroEngineer: A whistleblower hounded into submission by people who had only registered in the previous few days. Sock puppets, presumably.

And the story he told....it is easy to understand why:

Last January I was at JPL on a project when a colleague of mine in the unrelated MER program was working a Spirit glitch. Spirit is one of the two rovers still operating on Mars. Spirit’s expected mission was for a little over 90 days long, but six years later the rover is still operating. Spirit has performed well beyond expectations, but even the best robot is going to have its off days. One of these off days was in late January 2009. My friend and colleague, who I’ll call Rich, was a senior software engineer on the team tasked with maintaining the mobility flight software, the code that controlled the rover’s movements and experiments.

So, he works on the software that is uploaded to the rover to control its directions, etc. An engineer for JPL working at NASA.

It is lengthy, and there is not a real easy way to sum it up by quoting the mans words, but:

The night ended with us investigating the STATUS response the radio server had sent. The data was merely bzip2 compressed. Rich already knew this, as the data began with “BZh” which are the magic bytes indicating bzip2 data. I felt like an idiot for not immediately seeing this; in my defense, I really wasn’t at my best, I’m notoriously dysfunctional when I’m even slightly short on sleep, and these last days had been taxing me.

The status data turned out to be Spirit’s status, a wide range of vital data including its health indicators, operational parameters, and predicted location. Included in the data was a timestamp which seemed potentially interesting because it appeared to be from Spirit’s internal clock, and the difference between this listed time and our local time was less than a minute. Spirit was over 19 light minutes away.

Imagine the work that could be done on images in the 18 minute head start the "Anomolous Image Analysts" could get using such FTL communications?

Now, there are a lot of folks who tried to beat the man down. But the only real knock they had was that he posted it in parts, rather than all at once.

Unless there is information I am not aware of....this is one of the better stories I have ever heard.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
WOW the last post where he says he will continue and posts his blog...

Personal blog removed per ATS Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link. [edit on March 29th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

Ummm okay just about everyone here at ATS has a blog or personal website in their signature.. including you and me..

Why delete that one?

Thanks for the links Tex... your right I did miss that

edit on 10-9-2010 by zorgon because: WHY do you CARE?

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
My favorite pic of them all, the famous Man on Mars or is it the statue of Mars, if it is who put it there? Some people say this is a pile of rock.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/32b8cca260a8.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/60d7d5adb963.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
www.hiddenmars.com
just my take

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Red_xi

Okay Red... I dug up the images from your favorite Skipper images. Seems he has a winner this time because I was easily able to confirm it from NASA Rover images. I put them in a new thread so as not to distract here

Yet Another Martian Anomaly
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yeah okay I need more flags

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   

reply to post by zorgon

I think I have posted some animations made with these images before, but it's easier to make new animations than look for the old.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/ba183676d96d2f22.gif[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/a1daba0ff58eae42.gif[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/03fdde435f140f56.gif[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/11285e44a13a0747.gif[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/a238f42168c09827.gif[/atsimg]

We should always remember that we are looking at a 3D scene, not only with height and width but also with depth. With all of the above images we can see that the rover was on a slight elevation, with another elevation in the background and a small "valley" between the two.

We must also remember that the rovers move (or moved), so when the rover moves some centimetres to the left or the right things will change positions slightly.

Wow, you have just won my respect for life

After viewing the original NASA images, I had the suspicion, that the rock was further away then the others, and that it was because of the rover moving, which caused the effect.

Alas your skills have confirmed this. Very, very, well done sir

Regards,

Red

------------------------------
This is why I love ATS, and is the reason I joined in the first place. Less hating, and more like this please !!

edit on 11-9-2010 by Red_xi because: To add comment

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
WOW the last post where he says he will continue and posts his blog...

Personal blog removed per ATS Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link. [edit on March 29th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

Ummm okay just about everyone here at ATS has a blog or personal website in their signature.. including you and me..

Why delete that one?

Thanks for the links Tex... your right I did miss that

If I may drift off-topic here slightly, Blog-Links are deleted when it is seen that people come here specifically for link-spamming and advertising.

Good thing that missing rock anomaly got its own thread

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by BIONICLE ALEX

Important: This is not that important but I will contribute for learning process.

Can you contribute some more and give us some help in identifying this photo?

Unlike most photos from Mars Anomaly Research this one doesn't have a photo ID.

Thanks in advance.

PS: when posting images use [‍img] or [‍atsimg], not both. You can also use the "preview" button to see how the post will look.

This is an IR image from THEMIS. Original can be viewed here

The feature in question is located "northeast" to the biggest crater on the right

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by dimburg

Thanks.

I wonder what they find strange on that photo.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   

reply to post by dimburg

Don't have the slightest idea

2nd line...

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ringht_n_wrong
Loved it! All the evidence we need is right in front of our eyes.

That's not evidence friend

that's the equivalent of seeing different formations in clouds
you kind of end up seeing what you want to see or what you know or seen before

the equally spaced structures though are something else

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by dimburg

reply to post by dimburg

Don't have the slightest idea

2nd line...

I have no Idea
3rd in line.

ha ha ha I've always ask my self why skeptics don't touch these pics?

edit on 11-9-2010 by BIONICLE ALEX because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join