It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ADHD doesnt exist

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by SteveR
You are confusing two very different subjects. This is not about resisting indoctrination or boredom, this is about the capacity to learn, to focus, the ability to be still. In ADHD there is no such capacity.

To learn what? I had no interest in many of the subjects taught at school. I did not deem them relevant to real life. If anyone taught me how stuff works in real life, I became focussed. If they taught me about some war that happened 500 years ago, I tuned out, lost my attention looking outside of the window.

Mentally Ill? No. Disinterested while someone is trying to force-feed information? Yes.

I was kicked out of classes because of staring through the window. Teachers hated me because I was drawing a lot at the back of notebooks.

I wish I could star and flag your post and comments million times.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by marsvoltafan74
I've been diagnosed with ADHD and believe me it's real. I for the life of me can't sit still and do nothing.

Thats called Meditation. 99% of the people dont Meditate. You could practice it though.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by FIFIGI

FIFIGI.....

I couldn't even begin to describe my behaviour at school.

It was something along the lines of best results.....but worst behaved!

I'm sure I drove some teachers into therapy!

Cheers
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   
There are too many labels on too many people and I think these labels are unhelpful.

I also think that psychiatrists are unhelpful and feed people drugs which are bad for them and ideas which are bad for them. In fact, I will go so far as to say that I think psychiatrists are unbalanced themselves, which led them into psychiatry.

And I hate the drugs being fed to kids who are supposedly ADHD.

The simple fact is that people have always been difficult in different ways.

Kids have always been difficult, from an adult viewpoint.

But we definitely should not be pumping kids full of drugs.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

No offense.

You probably have never experienced a child with severe adhd. They are severly disabled in the sense that they can only focus on immediate events. Our family took in a adhd kid for his vacation to California. We love the kid, do not get me wrong, but he was the most energy consuming child you could ever imagine, and at times very disrespectful and weird. These kids need to conform or they are doomed to live a life of false hopes that never bring positive outcomes.

Experience one and you may realize what I am talking about.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Apocolypstick
My 6 year old is about to be screened for ADHD, I don't believe he has it - and that is why I am getting him tested.

It might sound back to front but I'm sick of teachers telling me that me boy might have a "behavioural" problem because he finds it hard to concentrate in class. Okay, so he'd rather talk to his friends, or play Ninja's or tell stories - HE'S SIX for goodness sake.

:shk:

Ive always been a proponent of starting school at 7 and having a two-year break at puberty of 13 and 14.

That would solve a lot of societies issues.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maybe...maybe not
reply to post by romanmel

Rommanel.....

Your assumption that I have not "looked at the condition of ADHD" is in error

I did not say you "have not looked at the condition of ADHD".

I said you should look more "thoroughly".

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

By "thoroughly" do you not mean pro-ADHD literature? My suggestion to you is the same as your suggestion to me. Start with this book written by Fred A. Baughman, Jr. M.D., who is an adult and child neurologist and a Fellow of the American Academy of Neurology:

www.amazon.com...

Happy reading...

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

I know did draw crazy at least one of my teachers. I am sorry for it. She as well as I am is a victim of the most oppressive system in the world.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kelliott
I dont think a lot of ats members replying to this post understand where the OP is coming from .. He/she is saying it is unnatural to the human body and psyche to sit controllably and listen to old people rant and lecture.

Thanks. I feel understood

Being Spontaneous is human nature. Its the nature of a child. And it continually gets discouraged at school and then they wonder why kids are behaving strangely.

When I was a kid I always thought there might be something wrong with the kids who conform to everything being said and done and behave and think just as society says they should.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
If a child is unwilling to be indocrinated by boring and useless information all day it is labeled "mentally ill".

That is precisely what's happening.

I'm scared to take my 12 month old puppy to the vet in case the vet diagnoses her with it too.

They can either say something's wrong with society or something's wrong with the person who isn't compatible with it. And there's no way anything can be wrong with society.

Same with depression. All you need to do to be diagnosed with that is tell your doctor you had a hard day at work.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   

I was diagnosed with ADD in middle school myself. I was never hyperactive. now here is how my experience is different than what you're stating as 'fact". My grades were crap. When I took my medicine my grades rose quite a bit. Also when I took my medicine I could not tell a single bit of difference myself, but later in High School I'd sell them to my friends and they'd get high as a giraffe's ass. Hmmmm, they had no noticeable effect on myself, but my friends were dying for me to sell them some so they could be high as a kite.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Is this some kind of joke? A forum moderator starts a thread proclaiming ADHD does not exist and at the same time, offers up nothing more to substantiate such a claim other than to lump all all kids diagnosed with ADHD into a group and say they just need to eat less sugar or be allowed to play if they want to?

But wait, there's more...

The thread (which would surely come under fire if it had been started by a regular member) receives a multitude of stars and is plastered right on the front page of the ATS board as if it contains facts that substantiate the headline?

Yes, I guess I'm right....this is a joke. But I'm certainly not laughing.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Like everything it's a matter of degrees. As a onetime teacher, I have seen kids that can't concentrate on a task and are not a discipline problem or rambunctious. They were just zoned out.

how about incorporating FUN to whatever subject(s) that need more focus that will instill more FUN and team work.. instead of BLAH BLAH BLAH ..

yammering really doesn't go far .. ya know ..

as for the zoned out part .. hell ya they're zoned out .. after listening to their parents for 2 hours before school and then get to have MORE adults yammering at them for another 4-7 hours more..

LOL I have pretty much had to turn ALL of them off LOL

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   

I am offended by your utter lack of research, making a grandious claim on a long-standing issue, and simply being unfeeling to people who suffer.

I'm in my early 40s - I would certainly have been diagnosed as ADHD by 7th grade and put on meds, but I wasn't because I was before the diagnosis came a household name. However I took the ADHD diagnostic test in college and remained as 9 out of 9 for the inability to pay attention aspect.

On a bad day I LITERALLY cannot read an entire line without losing focus... BUT, Skyfloating, I fought this, HARD, my entire life - I learned to understand myself, I took a few medications to see what it felt like in my system, and they were an amazing help. After years of working crappy jobs, I finally had enough, took up serious meditation practices and LEARNED how to stay focused, I learned what I needed in order to stay focused. ADHD is tremendously real.

After years of very hard times I went to college, went on to get my Master's degree in Psychology, and I help the kids that are now like I was...

Sky - if you spent more than 10 minutes professing your OPINION of a medical issue you know nothing about we would have all been far better off.

I'm offended that a moderator can pull this kind of crap.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Thermo Klein

sorry dude .. not EVERY single post needs to be researched.. ya know.. she's STATING her opinion... she never said she researched it..

........sheeesh !!!

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by NightGypsy

Is this some kind of joke? A forum moderator starts a thread proclaiming ADHD does not exist and at the same time, offers up nothing more to substantiate such a claim other than to lump all all kids diagnosed with ADHD into a group and say they just need to eat less sugar or be allowed to play if they want to?

But wait, there's more...

The thread (which would surely come under fire if it had been started by a regular member) receives a multitude of stars and is plastered right on the front page of the ATS board as if it contains facts that substantiate the headline?

Yes, I guess I'm right....this is a joke. But I'm certainly not laughing.

yep yep .. I gave my star and Flag .. LOL.. you know.. like the other millions that do the same to other threads that I think they 'don't' deserve it either ..

WHOO HOO.. !!!

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

sorry dude .. not EVERY single post needs to be researched.. ya know.. she's STATING her opinion... she never said she researched it..

Well, Komodo, then I guess the headline shouldn't read, "ADHD DOES NOT EXIST" because there certainly isn't anything in this OP's post that justifies that.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   
hmm funny subject

i suffer from "ADD" . although not hyper. just hyper kinetic.

@ school i was always sent out. the class clown the one teachers always picked on because i broke everyone's programmed learning indoctrination plan.

the teachers and guidance councilors had meetings with me and my parents. trying to tell them that i have ADD. etc. my dad told the guy. "bull#, it doesn't exist, he just needs a kick up the arse, he's a little #"

after that i was sent out of school to some shrink who obviously i had outsmarted and outwitted out. "showed off" her out of the place.. @ 14.

now the thing is. it wasn't until a few years later that i kinda accepted the label as ADD because there is some crazy brain chemistry.

2 things i have noticed.

1. if im trying to focus on something that i don't really find interesting but. "have" to do.. the most simplest thing a pen clicking someone over the other room moving or talking. i instantly get distracted. i have try to pinpoint the moment when i get distracted. but i usually get distracted the moment i get anywhere...

2. on the flip-side. when i find something interesting, i become impulsive and creative and over/out power everyone around me with my mental/physical energy.. i can do what ever it is the fastest, quickest, in depth understanding of how it works. it comes from years of me . breaking everything. fiddling with it until i break it. then understand how it works. @ 4 years old, i took my bike apart with my fathers tools 5 minutes after he have me the bike. he called me a little #. and left but my mother said. he didn't wait to see me put it all back together again.

anyway

there is a neurological issue going on. ppl say i have part asburges not add. so i dont know wtf to think. saying i dont know social eticut, for example i wander into a room full of ppl all sad and im sposed to know ill walk right in and be all cherry oh hey guys. man guess what i was just down the road.. and they interupt me "oi rob,, chill man. settle... explain.. etc'
i do that alot.

i have never been prescribed Ritalin. however i have abused substances in my youth and up until this day. i generally stay away from the speed based drugs because i noticed

it just calmed me or made me dosile or numb/dull.

one time someone gave me a 12 pill card of ritalin. another ginger kid with HYPER disorder. he was way more hyper than me. so i tryed some
i took 2 in the morning like he said. the weird thing was. i planed my whole day. going to town. to x ammount of stored. catch up with these people. get this from there. etc.. and i remember they have a distinct 4 hour treatment. i was driving home again and it was almost 4 hours to the minute. i feel this like curtain lift or being slowly lifted off me and wow robs back. jokin about makin stupid nonsensical stuff. then mid sentence makin another joke off on a tangent. i remember the miss's looks at me and says. # those pills work on you but i dont like them. they make you like not you. its great she said. you acheived all the things i wanted to do that day. normally i would have great difficulty and somehow only half do everything or 1 or 2 overly much.

anyway yeah. thats my take on ADD> i cant speak for the [H] hyper additive though.. must be mad. i do eat alot of sugar. i should technically have diabetes. but my motabalism is way to high i rip into energy straight away.

[edit on 22/8/2010 by Ashyr]

[edit on 22/8/2010 by Ashyr]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
I haven't read the whole thread but I "suffer" from this "illness", although I was never diagnosed as it wasn't popular back then. But it did have consequences. I had lots of problems, I promptly ran away from home once. I pretty much thought I'm too stupid for this world, which I wasn't, I just could not conform to the system, the lifeless grinding machine. I wanted to kill myself at that point, but decided not to and returned home. My behavior (or better said non-behavior) caused some major crap. However, in my own life I learned that all the suffering that hits you is a blessing from God, a gift which you should not reject or hate, but take and move on however weird that may sound. Suffering you should take even with pleasure whenever possible, because then it will have most spectacular outcome. That's what I've come to learn. If I was threated with meds and became somewhat "normal", my life would be entirely different now.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

yep yep .. I gave my star and Flag .. LOL.. you know.. like the other millions that do the same to other threads that I think they 'don't' deserve it either .. WHOO HOO.. !!! Text

And the point you're trying to make is......????

Buttering up a forum moderator?

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join