It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ADHD doesnt exist

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Crazy legs here as well ..

Now that I think about it, I had a TON of energy growing up. I would be playing basketball, or running, or various other physical activities ... all day! Then as a teenager it was skating all day. Then in high school it was partying all day and night several days in a row just to get some deep sleep. I will admit to eventually burning out after high-school and needing a long time to recover, but now I'm back to having super-high energy. I work for my fathers plumbing company full-time, plus run a dozen websites, and am constantly researching, averaging maybe 4-5 hours of sleep a day. It's nearly impossible for me to sleep longer than 6 hours in one session. I wake up and am instantly rolling with dozens of thoughts, ready to go!!

Guess I'm adhd now?! I dunno..

Oh, as for problem solving/creativity skills, yeah I'm pretty far up there.

I think a lot of these add/adhd are just "gifted". I've read gifted kids usually have really high energy. Just efficient bodies/minds, imo.

[edit on 21-8-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

I really hadn't looked into it before, but now that you mention it my right leg is constantly bouncing when i'm sitting. The only way it stops is if i'm sitting on it. I usually don't notice it unless i'm wearing hard soled shoes or having something to jingle in my pocket. Glad to know i'm not the only one.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Ehh touchy, I am diagnosed add but do not take medication for because i agree with the pharm agenda but there are some kids I have worked with that are so ridiculously hyper active they need and should be medicated. I work with the public all winter, I see all sorts of kids at the Ice rink, I coach them, Teach them about team work and also discipline them. I was a trouble child, my mother is a teacher and she is not undereducated. She teaches in a poor district but still she does the best she can even when it comes to spending her own money for supplies. Don't paint with broad brushes please.

[edit on 21-8-2010 by iamjesusphish]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blazer
When I was a kid, if you were obnoxious, disrupted the classroom, showed no respect to elders, it wasn't called ADHD, it was called being a spoiled brat.

Did you eat good healthy meals at home cooked by your mom?

One McDonald's hamburger can kick me into a bi-polar episode. Do you think its partly because of additives being put in our foods?

Yes - there truly are REAL ADD/ADHD cases. My daughter was one - way back in 1975 - - before it was the latest catch all for active children.

It needs to be understood that ADD/ADHD is an umbrella for many disruptive behaviors. My daughter did not have a behavior issue. She did have a focus issue and required physical contact (squeezing of hands) to focus when being spoken to.

She apparently had a "brain signal" dysfunction. She had trouble getting information into her brain - - but once there she retained it. It is found many are related to allergies. Especially wheat and dairy.

I had her on a strict organic diet - - no sugar - no coloring - no additives - etc. Also put her on a swim team - which she swam on until her junior year in high school.

I had a remarkable pediatrician and grade school that worked with her.

--------------------------------------------------

Her son was extremely active and we nicknamed him Tigger. But he was not ADD - - and I knew it - - because I had dealt with the real thing.

His school tried to force us to put him on meds. You KNOW they were told where to stick it.

YES -- it has become a huge epidemic of control - - not diagnosis.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

For anyone with "crazy legs" you most likely have a potassium defency. A banana will do restless legs wonders...

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by iamjesusphish

Not me!

I eat bananas daily.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamjesusphish
reply to post by unityemissions

For anyone with "crazy legs" you most likely have a potassium defency. A banana will do restless legs wonders...

. . . . also a tablespoon of molasses at night works for some

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

missed this:

What do you suggest; Let them stay in the Fog and not learn when they could be helped.

However I do agree that Ritalin is over prescribed but I also have seen it turn a kid that would have been diagnosed as retarded into a scholar.

it's an amazing difference - isn't it?

I understand why you aren't teaching any longer - but it's still a shame

we could use more like you

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
My daughter was on Ritalin for 6 months.

Her pediatrician prescribed only enough each day to get her through school.

He did not allow her to be medicated in her own home. He said: "I don't care if you have to turn your home into a padded cell. It is her home too - - and she needs to experience it in her own natural state.

After 6 months - - he stopped medication for all his patients. He said: "Once a child recognizes the difference in their behavior - - most children want to fit in - - and will retain the more controlled behavior they had while on meds.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Here is some information on NEUROFEEDBACK or BIOFEEDBACK therapy.
This treatment has been very successful at treating ADHD in children and adults.

What Is Neurofeedback Used For?
There are many psychiatric and medical disorders that are associated with abnormal patterns of brain wave activity. For example, many children and teenagers who have Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) have an excess of theta wave activity and not enough beta activity. In other words, their brains have an excess of waves associated with internal focus and drowsiness and not enough waves associated with external focus and alertness. It is common to see an increase in theta activity when ADHD children are working on a task that is uninteresting or repetitive. Neurofeedback for this type of ADHD would involve training to reduce the excess theta that the brain is producing.

Some people with ADHD have high levels of beta (fast wave) activity. Their attention problems are caused by a brain that is running too fast rather than too slowly. Neurofeedback treatment would consist of learning how to reduce the amount of beta waves that the brain is producing.

I hope this helps, Peace

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
When I was in elementary school I was diagnosed as being "slow" because I was not participating and learning like the other kids. I was actually moved to the "special class" (the little trailer outside the rest of the school). When I still did not do well, my parents came to school with me and sat in on the classes.

Long story short, it turned out the reason I was not doing well was my EYESIGHT, I could not see the board and other classroom activities. I was prescribed eyeglasses and immediately not only became an A student, but they wanted to advance me 2 grades because my reading comprehension was so far beyond the other students.

Today I am a Senior Systems Engineer, and have worked for quite a few fortune 100 companies. It just goes to show you how easily a child can be misdiagnosed, I think it is too easy for parents and teachers to use the crutch of ADHD and other disorders instead of finding out what is really wrong with the child.

If my parents had just sat back and said "oh well, he's just slow/special" I would probably be pumping gas in your car right now instead of the success that I am today.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

No truer words have ever been said concerning the 'convenient' mental illness.

Star and flag for you.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I think a lot of these "conditions" just feed on themselves since they're so psychologically based. If you tell someone they have a disease in which they have attention problems and they believe it, then they will only induce themselves into further acting like they have attention problems. Almost like a placebo effect.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Blazer

What a great story, although I'm sure it wasn't so "great" for you at the time.

I hope the educational system is a little more on top of this kind of thing now. I believe they are.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blazer
When I was in elementary school I was diagnosed as being "slow" because I was not participating and learning like the other kids. I was actually moved to the "special class" (the little trailer outside the rest of the school). When I still did not do well, my parents came to school with me and sat in on the classes.

I had a similar experience. My mom had polio and my dad ran off with another woman. The principle of our grade school was a woman - - and took extra care to watch out for us.

I too had a vision problem - - the principle arranged for my exam and the school paid for my glasses.

My whole family has "fast brain". It can be useful at time. I've learned through meditation and yoga breathing to slow it down.

Unfortunately - even back then schools only focused on the middle intelligence. My poor brother with and IQ of 150+ was bored out of his mind - and often in trouble.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   

ADHD doesnt exist!

I've been saying that for years.
Just too much sugary cereal and television.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Matthew Dark

ADHD doesnt exist!

I've been saying that for years.
Just too much sugary cereal and television.

Matthew Dark.....

As per my previous posts.....

That ADHD exists is unequivocal.

That ADHD is over-diagnosed is also unequivocal.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
i cant help but laugh at the people who think adhd is a real disease. its just kids wanting to be kids. kids are supposed to be active and hyper. their fresh with life and have no worries about living.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by bismos
i cant help but laugh at the people who think adhd is a real disease. its just kids wanting to be kids. kids are supposed to be active and hyper. their fresh with life and have no worries about living.

Bismos.....

I encourage you to do some further reading about ADHD.

As per my several posts.....

It is quite real, albeit it is over-diagnosed.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I had to complete a research paper on the relationship between decreased brain volume and ADHD. I'll simplify the findings for everyone:

Basically children with ADHD have reduced cerebral volumes then children without. The ventromedial prefrontal cortex (a part of the brain responsible for decision making and impulsivity) is significantly smaller in children with the disorder.

Other parts of the brain are affected as well. Parts of the Hippocampus are also smaller in children with ADHD.

Some researches think that certain parts of the brain develop at a slower rate in children who are diagnosed with the disorder. So in other words, ADHD is a real! Here's an interesting article that discusses a little of what i have mentioned here:

Study Sheds Light on Why Kids Grow Out of ADHD

Here is the article that discusses the volumes of the hippocampus in children with ADHD:

Hippocampus and Amygdala Morphology in ADHD

Sorry if my grammar sucks, Its late...way past my bedtime...

[edit on 22-8-2010 by Adillin2012]

[edit on 22-8-2010 by Adillin2012]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join