It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ADHD doesnt exist

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kratos1220
Coming from someone who had ADHD really bad as a kid and still have the ADD part as an adult, it's more than just not listening to the teacher or wanting to play. It is the involuntary "tuning out" from whatever you are doing to focus on something completely irrelevant, then forgetting what you were doing in the first place.

Getting lost in the Focus of your Attention is natural. Happens with everyone. Thats the purpose of movie theatres btw.

Even now, I could be having a conversation with someone in which the topic is something I am very interested in and then suddenly, I am thinking about something I read on the internet two weeks ago that has nothing to do with the conversation.

Yes, this is just lack of concentration, no big deal. All of society has it.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Thank God someone has posted this! S & F...a most important post.

This fraud foisted upon modern parents is of monumental proportions. Think of it. The Psychobabble witch doctors prescribe a "potent" to cure being a kid and having enthusiasm and imagination. In their place we have walking zombies, mind dead and devoid of any desire to excel. More importantly, they create in a few generations a vast supply of compliant serfs ready to be controlled and manipulated by TPTB to bring about the "Brave New World" identified as the NWO.

The OP probably did not anticipate the hoards of posters valiantly defending the idea of the ADHD fraud as real. These are the parents who are raising second and third generation ADHD identified drones. They are in denial and cling desperately to the drugs they are so addicted to by now that "help” them get through each and every day.

Without the massive mind-altering that has preceeded our current era we would have seen a revolution by now over BigGov's attack on our personal freedoms. In times gone by, we would have seen 1960's type revolution in the streets. With the brain-dead society we now have, the key word to the response of these attacks is "compliance". This could not have been accomplished in a short two or three generations without mind-altering drugs such as we have foisted upon our own children and their children’s children.

Welcome to the NWO folks! Welcome to the “age of compliance”. Grab your drugs and hold on for the ride.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by romanmel

Rommanmel.....

..we have walking zombies, mind dead and devoid of any desire to excel..

Just a quick comment from one of the "walking zombies, mind dead and devoid of any desire to excel".....

I encourage you to look at the condition of ADHD a little more thoroughly.

Yours in zombieness.....
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maybe...maybe not

I think the problem might perhaps be.....it's a little "awkward".....it's a little "absolute".

It might perhaps be better if the title left a little more "wriggle room".

The idea of Internet Discussion is that Person A makes a Claim, such as "ADHD doesnt exist" and that this thread will naturally bring up its opposite opinion "ADHD does exist".

Readers can then view both sides and make their own choices.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blazer
When I was a kid, if you were obnoxious, disrupted the classroom, showed no respect to elders, it wasn't called ADHD, it was called being a spoiled brat.

Its so much easier to medicate kids than to actually deal with them.

Kids these days have it so easy, they can literally kick their teacher in the balls and if the teacher even looks at them wrong mommy and daddy sue the school. If mommy and daddy try to discipline the kid, the kid gets emancipated and becomes a groupie on the Lady Gaga tour.

True. My first act of office as a President would be: Increase a teachers salary!

[edit on 22-8-2010 by Skyfloating]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

I think the problem might perhaps be.....it's a little "awkward".....it's a little "absolute".
It might perhaps be better if the title left a little more "wriggle room".

The idea of Internet Discussion is that Person A makes a Claim, such as "ADHD doesnt exist" and that this thread will naturally bring up its opposite opinion "ADHD does exist".
Readers can then view both sides and make their own choices.

Skyfloating.....

Expressed in those terms, I now understand how you've positioned your thread.

Thanks for that.....& I have now disagreed 2-3 times!

Maybe I'm finally getting the hang of this!

Cheers
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by argentus

Thanks for the real-life-report and especially how your father and you dealt with it.

Ive seen it "just dissappear over time" with other kids as well, with or without the Meds.

On the other hand I know someone who is adult and was diagnosed ADHD as a kid who still has the "crazy legs".

He is still all over the place, has way too much energy...and he speaks 8 Languages fluently. This shows me that he may not be "mentally ill" but merely over-energized, seeking outlet.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Myendica
I don't know if ADHD/ADD exist, or not. I used to think it was absolute BS. On the other hand, my brother is diagnosed, with one of the two. He is very talented musically, and very creative. He spent a lot of time writing screenplays and music for several instruments for several albums. He has accomplished alot. In terms of school, not so much.

Ive also observed that a lot of these "ADers" are highly creative. The one mentioned in my last post speaks 8 Languages fluently. He's a genius.

He could use some Concentration-Exercises though.

He doesn't take meds anymore, because they aren't good, for him, or anyone. They are highly addictive, and cause many other mental illnesses.

Excellent.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Rommanmel.....

..we have walking zombies, mind dead and devoid of any desire to excel..

Just a quick comment from one of the "walking zombies, mind dead and devoid of any desire to excel".....

I encourage you to look at the condition of ADHD a little more thoroughly.

Yours in zombieness.....
Maybe...maybe not

Your assumption that I have not "looked at the condition of ADHD" is in error, I have explored it in text and I have witnessed it's result in life over the last sixty+ years. Hyperactivity is not a scourge on society. Drugs are, IMO.

[edit on 22-8-2010 by romanmel]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
I have to say that many people with adhd/add are extremely creative people, and some have learned to use their adhd/add to their creative benefit.

Or is it that many creatives are merely labelled "ADHD"?

I channel mine into writing.

What benefit do you derive from agreeing to the label "ADHD"?

Why not just say "I have a lot of energy"? Is it really necessary to view yourself as deficient?

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sumdumguy
go post about something you have knowledge about or be a good litle moderator and spend your time patrolling the forums.

People post their sides of the story and then readers decide. You dont believe that readers are able or worthy of reading two conflicting sides of something?

The label "mental illness" is, for me, in this case, not correct. As I have now seen, some professionals agree with me. Most professionals dont agree with me. Most posters here dont agree with me.

But when you grow up you will learn that there are a wide variety of opinions out there and that you cant silence them all.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
I too have the crazy legs! I nearly always have a leg a bouncing.

I googled it one night and was so surprised to see others with the compulsive leg bouncing thing.

It is actually a safe and good form of release of those inner energies us add'ers possess in abundance.

Again, how is "overabundance of energy" a mental illness?

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
It needs to be understood that ADD/ADHD is an umbrella for many disruptive behaviors.

...and with this you indirectly confirm that ADHD doesnt exist as an illness.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by FutureThinker
Here is some information on NEUROFEEDBACK or BIOFEEDBACK therapy.
This treatment has been very successful at treating ADHD in children and adults.

I think its possible that it may be related to Beta, Alpha, Theta states.

Im a long-time Meditator and have achieved pretty good control over my energy, body and attention. Practice makes it possible

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   

When I was in elementary school I was diagnosed as being "slow" because I was not participating and learning like the other kids. I was actually moved to the "special class" (the little trailer outside the rest of the school). When I still did not do well, my parents came to school with me and sat in on the classes.

Long story short, it turned out the reason I was not doing well was my EYESIGHT, I could not see the board and other classroom activities. I was prescribed eyeglasses and immediately not only became an A student, but they wanted to advance me 2 grades because my reading comprehension was so far beyond the other students.

Amazing Account. You were branded. If you'd let them implant the belief in you that you are a failure you'd indeed be pumping gas today.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Education must begin with the solution of the teacher-student contradiction, by reconciling the poles of the contradiction so that both are simultaneously teachers and students.

The more students work at storing the deposits entrusted to them, the less they develop the critical consciousness which would result from their intervention in the world as transformers of that world. (= so-called "banking education")

Those who use the banking approach, knowingly or un­knowingly (for there are innumerable well-intentioned bank-clerk teachers who do not realize that they are serving only to dehumanize), fail to perceive that the deposits themselves con­tain contradictions about reality. But, sooner or later, these contradictions may lead formerly passive students to turn against their domestication and the attempt to domesticate reality. They may discover through existential experience that their present way of life is irreconcilable with their vocation to become fully human. They may perceive through their relations with reality that reality is really a process, undergoing constant trans­formation. If men are searchers and their ontological vocation is humanization, sooner or later they may perceive the contra­diction in which banking education seeks to maintain them, and then engage themselves in the struggle for their liberation.

Freire

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

When I was in elementary school I was diagnosed as being "slow" because I was not participating and learning like the other kids. I was actually moved to the "special class" (the little trailer outside the rest of the school). When I still did not do well, my parents came to school with me and sat in on the classes.

Long story short, it turned out the reason I was not doing well was my EYESIGHT, I could not see the board and other classroom activities. I was prescribed eyeglasses and immediately not only became an A student, but they wanted to advance me 2 grades because my reading comprehension was so far beyond the other students.

Amazing Account. You were branded. If you'd let them implant the belief in you that you are a failure you'd indeed be pumping gas today.

Might I point out to the OP, we all "pump gas today". I know of no full-serve gas stations.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR
You are confusing two very different subjects. This is not about resisting indoctrination or boredom, this is about the capacity to learn, to focus, the ability to be still. In ADHD there is no such capacity.

To learn what? I had no interest in many of the subjects taught at school. I did not deem them relevant to real life. If anyone taught me how stuff works in real life, I became focussed. If they taught me about some war that happened 500 years ago, I tuned out, lost my attention looking outside of the window.

Mentally Ill? No. Disinterested while someone is trying to force-feed information? Yes.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Rommanel.....

Your assumption that I have not "looked at the condition of ADHD" is in error

I did not say you "have not looked at the condition of ADHD".

I said you should look more "thoroughly".

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:42 AM
link   

That ADHD exists is unequivocal.

---Repost---

Found this on the Wikipedia-Page:

The British Psychological Society said in a 1997 report that physicians and psychiatrists should not follow the American example of applying medical labels to such a wide variety of attention-related disorders: "The idea that children who don’t attend or who don’t sit still in school have a mental disorder is not entertained by most British clinicians

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join