It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"What's with the anger on ATS?"

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2weird2live2rare2die
the problem isn't people being mean and negative, the problem is sensitive people crying about it. )(change your manpon dry your tears and move on with life like a big boy.

Tell me you don't see the thread killers sparring, until the thread is dead.

Anyone even contemplating a reply to the original post is driven off by what they see is currently happening on the last page of a thread of interest.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned."
The Buddha

"'Righteous hatred' is in the same category as 'righteous cancer'or 'righteous tuberculosis'. All of them are absurd concepts."

"This does not mean that one should never take action against aggression or injustice! Instead, one should try to develop an inner calmness and insight to deal with these situations in an appropriate way. We all know that anger and aggression give rise to anger and aggression. One could say that there are three ways to get rid of anger: kill the opponent, kill yourself or kill the anger - which one makes most sense to you?""

Quotes:
viewonbuddhism.org...

I was just doing some reading of my own today and thought i'd share.

Everyone still pointing fingers? What does it solve? You're still pissed off in the end.

edit:
I found this one most appropriate:
"If there are sound reasons or bases for the points you demand, then there is no need to use violence. On the other hand, when there is no sound reason that concessions should be made to you but mainly your own desire, then reason cannot work and you have to rely on force. Thus, using force is not a sign of strength but rather a sign of weakness. Even in daily human contact, if we talk seriously, using reasons, there is no need to feel anger. We can argue the points. When we fail to prove with reason, then anger comes. When reason ends, then anger begins. Therefore, anger is a sign of weakness." Dalai Lama

[edit on 19-8-2010 by CavemanDD]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I have just started to read a 2010 book that is so On Topic with this thread that I have to cite it: Its title is You Are Not A Gadget, and its author is Jaron Lanier, otherwise known as the father of virtual reality technology; he has also worked on the interface between computer science and medicine, physics and neuro-science. Here's the Amazon link with a detailed review:

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1282245464&sr=1-1

From the book jacket (published by Alfred A. Knopf, New York, 2010), "Lanier ...shows how 1960s antigovernment paranoia influenced the design of the online world and enabled trolling and trivialization in online discourse." (Why...yes!)

Chapter 3 is titled "How the noosphere (i.e., a collective brain formed by the sum of all the people connected on the internet) is just a name for everyone's inner troll." (Right again, I'd say.)

Chapter 8 gives specific remedies: " Three possible future directions"

I will have more to say about Lanier's remedies for beastly behavior online after I finish reading his book. At 192 pages, it shouldn't take that long.

In an acknowledgements section at the end of the book, Lanier notes that he had previously participated in online discussions of some of the issues he explores in greater depth in this book. One such website is edge.org:

www.edge.org...# 1204

One suggestion: In the past, ATS has been good enough to post a survey on what the membership would like to see on the site. The top result of that survey was that a better organized book review section was requested. The problem with surveys is that they raise expectations, however I have yet to see any changes at all in the ways books are discussed on BTS since those survey results were published...that is sad. There is also the thought that since points for BTS discussion "went away," that even being on BTS is perhaps seen as a less meaningful activity than being on ATS.

On the other hand, creating and moderating high-quality book reviews is a mammoth undertaking. My favorite website for that is actually Librarything, which happens to be run by professional library systems programmers and professional librarians. It's the best online site I have seen for the fiction and nonfiction-minded reader, although they should focus on translation into languages other than English [Edit: Never mind, they currently translate into 52 languages, and more are coming!]. For example, there is currently an ongoing discussion on Librarything about how, since an American library's cost per book averages 50 cents, that guarantees that libraries will be priced out of the markets for e-books, a pretty terrifying conclusion.

My final suggestion, therefore, is that ATS/BTS creates a portal to Librarything for fiction and nonfiction browsing, if the Librarything administrators are agreeable to that collaboration. Here is their website:

www.librarything.com...

[edit on 8/19/2010 by Uphill]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I was a long time lurker before joining the forum. Even after joining, I find myself reading a lot more than posting. Some threads are clearly fanatical in nature, others are just puerile, and then, every once in a while, there will be a gem of a conversation that will lead me to investigate a matter further. Respect should be the basis of all interactions in life (including this alternate universe). We don't have to think alike, agree, or even compromise, we do however need to respect ourselves and others. My opinion of otherwise intelligent and well versed members is lessened by abusive/bullying behavior towards fellow posters who are deemed to be less advanced.

I do notice this trend of more verbally violent interactions, fueled mostly by hateful or ignorant threads. We can't control anybody else's thought processes, ideas or actions. We can, however, control our reactions and interactions in these situations.

As a society, we are less civilized than we would like to admit, and at times of socio-economic crisis/upheaval, our true nature comes out. This anger/fear phenomena is happening globally, as this manufactured/self-fullfilling "collapse of the system" continues to expand.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I must be one of those "thin-skinned" people that so many of you rant about. I used to be on this site daily. However, the ugliness of many of the replies have really turned me off of this site. I'd like for some of the posters to try to say some of what they say to my face. It would never happen. People DO hide behind screen names and feel that they can say whatever they want. However, I've also noticed that the way people act online, behind a screen name, shows a great deal about the person in real life. If you are a jerk online, you're most likely a jerk in real life.

Well, this Sensitive Person still loves a good consipiracy, but until the hate and the ugliness of this site is purged, I'll only be on sporadically. I try to avoid any thread whose title is a warning, but sometimes even in the mildest titled thread has a few zingers in it. And to those folks who think all of this is silly - you're part of the problem.

Oh, and I need to add:
All Muslums are not evil, only some
All Blacks are not evil, only some
All Jews are not evil, only some
All Catholics are not evil, only some
All Americans are not evil, only some
All Europeans are not evil, only some
All Mexicans are not evil, only some
All Middle Easterns are not evil, only some
etc., etc., etc.
You get the drift.

In any race, color, nationality or religion, there are people who just want to live their lives, raise their kids to be good people, and live in peace. Unfortunately, the loud, corrupt, and/or sociopaths of each group gives everyone else a bad rap. If you truly believe that the ALL is painted with the same brush as the SOME, you will live a sad sad life.

Ciao

[edit on 8/19/2010 by Lolliek]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

I agree. Some of what passes for debate here is just ugly racist and sexist rubbish and baiting. It should not be tolerated. And if it is tolerated, you should not pretend to be surprised when it pisses people off.

I also agree that there is an natural ebb and flow, and that ATS like many popular boards is subject to regular incursions by propagandists, often who are here to spread and agenda and dissent. But much of what is tolerated here in terms of racism, etc., is by our membership. We cant blame it all on outsiders here for a lark or a paycheck.

I am often amazed at the level of abusiveness you are allowed to dole out as far as the -isms are concerned. And how complicit most of the members are in it. Most of them do not alert it, or even speak out against it in the threads. Some do, most seem to roll along with it as if it were perfectly fine. I am repeatedly disappointed in my fellow human and ATS in that regard.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
S/O

I haven't read everything throughout the pages here. I have sensed alot of anger and anguish among all of us in genereal for quite some time.

There is some eveidence to suggest, if one cares to take a look, that the planet itself is having difficulties. That is to say that it's "magnetics" are wobbly and perhaps it affects all of us at a subliminal level.

But I think that you hit at least one nail on the head: Mainstream Media does seem to be playing to the emotional content of their articles rather than simply dealing with facts as they ought to. Just look at some of those shows, they SHOUT at you with myriads of emotional outbursts and accusations that draw immediate conclusions that WILL sway the American public whether it is a wrong or right judgement.

But by their creed, they know that this is not proper, yet it continues.

I think maybe yesterday, or the day before that "Rick's Report" stuff was on. A veteran Chaplain who had just arrived home and had traditional leighs placed around his neck from his loving Samoan family, standing on his front porch, had Rick using the on the ground reporter to ask him: What the Hell is up with that?"

My point is that the mainstream media people seem to just blurt out whatever is on their mind without any reflection, restraint or mindfulness whatsoever.

There is a certain expected civility on the boob tube that is clearly missing. With this sort of thing hammering away at the American psyche, I am unsure that they can protect themselves from simply jumping on the wagon.

I see NO balance, hardly any fairness, and nearly nothing but biased manipulation of everything that is discussed. They are provoking in a negative way. They provoke irrational emotionalism, rather than rather than rational thought and discussion. At that Level Dr Laura is right.

I can go on and on here, but brevity must take hold.

I think that it is fast becoming a social problem, not simply an ATS thing. To see it on ATS may be a sampling of how the general populace may be going. I do not know.

I personally am ashamed of what I see on CNN, FOX and other stations.
I am ashamed of the FCC for just laying there throwing leg...

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
ATS Team:

To my mind.....

This thread demonstrates how a positive, informative discussion can be achieved about a significant UFO case, despite some pretty strong differences of opinion.

Rising Against's Fantastic Rendlesham Thread

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Hadrian

I must say, of all the forums i have been on, this one is the most friendly.

Most forums are full of bashers, and hate mongers. I find this site very informative and on point most of the time.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I would lke to state my agreement with your reasons given for the rise in anger on ATS.

I also think that people show anger when they know they are being blatantly lied to by the mainstream media and no matter how they post on ATS things don't change. Frustration is manifestering itself as anger.

I have just been angered because I was accused of being an apologist for radical islam ( this could not be further from the truth) when all I was doing was trying to add to a debate on a thread by posting an observation. There is no excuse for such name calling or labelling on ATS as it will cause anger in people who hold sincere opinions. I did not respond angrillly but explained further. The point I'm trying to make here is that it is not only important to try not to show anger against a fellow poster but try not to incite anger. ATS a place for information, opinion, and debate. It must not allow pollution of the ideal of respect for others.

[edit on 20/8/10 by IMOVERHERE]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maybe...maybe not
ATS Team:

To my mind.....

This thread demonstrates how a positive, informative discussion can be achieved about a significant UFO case, despite some pretty strong differences of opinion.

Rising Against's Fantastic Rendlesham Thread

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

Thanks for pointing that thread. That's what I'm looking and expecting from ATS ever since I joined. Detail research, solid evidences, amazing presentation, open plenty room for discussion and debate, careful analyst, critical thinking and most important very informative.

With such presentation, the trolls' mind are forced to work harder instead of wasting time by abruptly bickering the opinion, inciting anger and posting junk, out of context, false and mislead short comments as seen in many Religion Conspiracy, Paranormal Study, Alien and UFO or various other threads/sections. We used to have many amazing quality threads before and we are lacking them now.

Rising Against's Fantastic Rendlesham Thread should be made example.

Edit: Grammar.

[edit on 21-8-2010 by EasternShadow]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I think some of the anger stems from ATS allowing people to post threads that are completely antagonistic.

When they start out like: "alien abductees are liars...." what do you expect? But yet you allow these threads and when we defend ourselves, our posts are removed and a warning is sent to us? What's wrong with this forum lately?

I think you should monitor the ability to start threads a bit better.

This should be an open forum and we shouldn't feel we need to be defensive right off the bat.

Why you're allowing these pests to be on here and have power to start these threads is very disappointing.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

It’s a shame you said that, earlier on this thread I tried to be positive but you are clearly talking about me now on other thread’s, that’s just not nice. Just because you don’t agree with what I have to say does not give you the right to start personal insults and talking about me on other threads.

And for the record the title was “alien abduction threads are lies (Mostly)” the mostly was put in there to imply that not everybody was lying and if you read the thread you will understand what I was trying to say.

Make love, not hate.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

"Holly cow Batman"- I am glad Human-alien didn't see my "Mars: Are we alone" thread! Seems like the few trump the many, or we wouldn't even be discussing the (ugly) anger here that kills good threads.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
When has there not been anger on ATS?

Gotta face it, it's a polarizing time in the last 10 years for pretty much the entire world. People get entrenched in their beliefs and get violent to opposition.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2weird2live2rare2die
the problem isn't people being mean and negative, the problem is sensitive people crying about it. i can't understand how you could do anything more than laugh off an insult.. just think about the guy leaving you the negative comment.. he is probably hanging out in his mother's basement pretending he is a jedi and collecting pokemon cards with his boarderline gay lover "best friend". the point i am trying to make here is why let it bother you? you are never going to meet these people and neither of you have any idea who the other is, so how could you possibly take it personal? a lot of people talk crap to me on here and you don't see me crying about it. change your manpon dry your tears and move on with life like a big boy.

that's funny, yup, I cannot add anything.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I liked the ebb and flow idea posted on the first page.

When I first joined I got very heated over on person’s conduct. I received a warning and took it up with the moderator who politely explained how I had breached the T&C. I apologised to him and sat out the 3 day threat of banning.

Even when we get heated we must be man enough to calm down and apologise. I would not be online if I could have got a semi intelligent debate in a bar or pub. Up to the late eighties I could have sat down with anyone and simply had a debate and finished up disagreeing without rancour. It does not seem to happen now. It all seems an Old school idea that does not gel with the MTV generation.

Anyway this is cyberspace where things may not be as they seem.

I noted the moderator’s comments on using “thinly disguised swear words”. If the moderators choose to be tougher I would not complain even if they call me on my conduct. Perhaps this could be a start.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I lost interest in this forum when about two months ago, the "youre religion is stupid" vs. the "my religion is sending you to hell" arguments fired up.

I used to enjoy coming here once a day or so, and sharing stories and ideas. However, I have nothing to add to juvenile ranting and name-calling. It's one thing to share your view, but it's another entirely to resort to all out battles.

Not to mention, ITS BORING.

I dont care about your politics, or religions. I care about topics and information.

Im sure Im not alone in being a former regular member, who now rarely frequents the forum beacause of the banality, the vaccuous comments, and downright ignorance.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

maybe it is a synopsis of whats happening out in the world, there does seem to be a lot less tolerance around than a few years ago. Then again it does depend I think on where you focus your mind and how you look, because there is still alot of love to!

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join