It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Anti-Muslim Threads Are Giving ATS a Bad Name

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+61 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Hi All,

Like many of you, I have noticed the large amount of anti Muslim threads popping up on ATS right now. Some examples:

Why the West Should Fear Muslims

Does America now have an Islamic commander and chief?

The Ayatollah Khomeini’s Book: Sex with Children and Animals

Is Sweden Being Destroyed?

This has to stop.

At the moment, we are two opposing sides, scrabbling with each other in an uncoordinated way, rather like a street battle. There is no cohesion, no stricture, it's chaos.

This is my I've made this thread – in response to all the anti Muslim threads that have spouted from ATS recently. Wether you are anti, pro or neutral - I would like to hear your views.

So join this thread and voice your opposition to the vast amount of religious bigotry that is surfacing here on ATS. Wether you agree with Islam or not, do we really want to be the kind of place that slams a religion just because it's in fashion right now?

Can't we separate ourselves from the herd and use reasoning and intelligence to talk our way thru problems rather then engaging in flaming? (which I admit I'm also guilty of)

ATS is my home – as it is for many of you. I don't want to see this place over-run with anti anything. Already ATS has suffered by association with threads like this. People who see the recent posts have seen a lot of anti threads, and this has influenced their decision to join. It's happened to me while I was showing a friend this site. This place is a place to discuss conspiracies and other related matters. It is not a place to spread dis-info about religious groups.

I would like to ask – what is it about Islam that makes some people uncomfortable? I live with two Muslims and have found them to be as normal as anyone else. So what is it that makes people keep posting these types of threads?

I've posted this thread in the Philosophy and Metaphysics section, because I believe it is the best place to have a rational, informed discussions about the phenomenon behind the anti religious views at the moment.

I would also like to recommend Your Opposition to Hatred on ATS by Astyanax. Sign up and pledge your opposition to the hatred that's going around ATS. Or you could if it wasn't shut down.

Thank You

Shane

[edit on 15/8/10 by shamus78]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
ok, we go with pro muslim. no prob.

won't say a word, eh? wink wink.

if it smells like a duck then beat the horse!

look dude, 1 billion people against the few here is a...how you say?

i know coz the others always say we are up against that many!

sorry gotta reload!

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by shamus78
Or you could if it wasn't shut down.

That thread did nothing of worth other than try to generate stars and flags.

It was a rehashing of OzWeatherman's thread about An open message to you all "Since when did this website become an outlet for hate".

I see you are being specific about the Muslim related threads here - this is something particular and worthy of remark all by itself.

I agree that ignorance seems rampant by those who care to scapegoat Islam as an excuse for terrorism or extremist behaviour by the minority. However as pointed out in both Oz's thread and Astyanax's where do we draw the line with censorship?

There are many anti-establishment threads here which condemn the USA, China, the UK, homosexuals, sceptics, the rich, the poor and everything else in between. Do we make special circumstances around particular groups because it can be perceived as offensive and if so who picks what is fair game and what isn't?

I think it's better for fools to be ousted as fools and for those with a predilection for tolerance to educate them.

Once school goes back in it'll all calm down again.

I do think discussing the particulars of the Anti-Muslim threads is of use though and hope to see many enlightening comments here by people from both sides.

-m0r

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by shamus78

All they need to do is go to an arabic or muslim country and see how people live there... better off go to a country with mixed religion and see how they all co exist peacefully.

those people who post hate threads probably live in a place with no muslims and they only believe what tehy hear, they believe what they see on youtube.

but it doesnt matter, more and more people are waking up, they know the satanic elites, and we know about their little divide and conquer operation.

however there is evil in islam, that evil is wahabism. originated in saudi arabia. its deadly and it works hand in hand with the NWO... it spread to afghanistan and pakistan. now theres a struggle in iraq with 50+ people die every day on the hands of extremist wahabis.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I agree. There's been so many biggoted, misinformed threads lately. And another one just started with sham evidence trying to point out that Muslims have a lower IQ than everyone else.

I've been with ATS for a long time. I'm actually thinking of leaving if this continues. Too much hate and ignorance on this site these days and it's getting worse. That's not the type of community i want to spend my time in.

Even the ATS members are playing into the 'divide and conquer' plan. You'd think the people here would maybe be a bit smarter than that but i guess i'm wrong....

+15 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
ATS doesn't generate the content here, we do.

ATS membership should welcome these discussions, and when and where possible DENY IGNORANCE!

Rather than seeking to somehow change or eliminate content here that you find so offensive that it is giving the site (ATS) you love a "bad name" why not expend the same amount of thought and energy in posting your thoughts, opinions and relevant information in the discussions?

If we sweep everything off of the boards you don't like, would that make it go away?

Would that end the hate, intolerance and ignorance?

NO!

Confront it, defend your positions and MAKE a difference!

That is what ATS is all about!

+19 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   

This is so true, Islam is a religion of peace.

Lots of proof right here.

www.thereligionofpeace.com...

They just want to spread peace around the world.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Rather than seeking to somehow change or eliminate content here that you find so offensive that it is giving the site (ATS) you love a "bad name" why not expend the same amount of thought and energy in posting your thoughts, opinions and relevant information in the discussions?

Probably because doing that is absolutely futile, and therefore a waste of energy. Ignoring it doesn't work either because people seek out buzz words related to Muslims then come and stick down their paragraph of anti-Muslim garbage and then leave without reading the OP and intellectually adding to the discussion.

It is really frustrating when you start a thread not necessarily to do with Islam then some folks start posting their racist diatribes.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   

you created this thread after you read similars...think for yourself and be original...

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Honestly, everyone get's their fair shair of bashing on ATS. Sure, it goes through cycles...ATS members tend to latch on to certain topics that are circulating around ATS and then beat it to death, move on then rinse and repeat. Compared to other forums it's really not that bad imo. ATS members are on the whole more reasonable and intelligent when it comes to Muslims and extremism compared to many other boards. Like i said, everyone gets bashed on ATS.... i don't see why we need to single out a certain topic.

[edit on 15-8-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Hi,

I appreciate your reply.

I'm not condoning the deletion of everything I don't approve of, in fact that would be ridiculous. I want to know where these feeling of hatred are coming from - the motives behind the threads. What have they done to personally insult or hurt you (I don't mean you, Fractured.Facade, rather the OP's who post these threads)?

And it is giving ATS a bad name. I have personally seen people that I've invited to look at the site describe it as 'hate filled'.

Thanks

Shane

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   

I dont think muslims are hated. What is hated, or better, what people are scared of is what Islam can do with young boys who are easily influenced. the most important factor in play is that there are so many muslims. Hence alot of potential terrorists.. Doesn't mean only islam creates terrorists, it might even be safe to put it the other way around: Terrorists use the Islam to create new terrorists. doesn't take away te fact that Islam is very well suited for the task.

As for these subjects slandering the ATS reputation, you might be overreacting a bit. For outsiders ATS is a "negative" site, lots of doom&gloom, lots of criticism on governments, lots of speculation on some elite group trying to kill 5.5billion people.. the list goes on. I am always surprised how energetic the group of defenders for the Islam is. Makes me wonder why the same cant be seen when it comes to christianity.. or any other controversial group or faith. What makes the Islam so different that it shouldn't be scrutinized?

[edit on 15/8/2010 by faceoff85]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
There are a few ways to look at this.

In a way it's good that it's being exposed. You can't address or fight what you don't see,

It's good to have discussions that expose more points of few on a subject.

There's a LOT worse out there on the internet in general. A lot worse.

All of this is assuming there is an open mind on both ends.

My frustration is that when I ask specific questions, say about this great danger about Sharia law, there are never any answers or real discussions...just a lot of the same videos being posted and grand generalizations in answer.

There are also a lot of the same Qur'ān verses being thrown around, which even a cursory look shows that there are several possible interpretations about something that can and should be put into historical context and perspectives, not to mention translation subtleties.

No quantifiable numbers, no proof that "all of Islam" does this. Just a lot of assumption, emotion, and fear from where I sit. I need to be convinced that this is a danger and that our laws don't already protect us from this.

[edit on 8/15/2010 by ~Lucidity]

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
To the OP, have you considered the possibility that these threads are simply the symptom of the ever growing intolerance toward a religion that many see as evil, backwards, and that espouses a double standard of being accepted everywhere, but that will not tolerate non-muslims in muslim countries? And when you say it's "making ATS look bad," to whom, and why should any of us be concerned about that? I'm sure it makes us look bad to muslims. GOOD! I hope that more people are inspired to go out and do their own research on Islam, and find out about it's dogma, it's mandates, and it founder. There is a great documentary out there that you can find easily on netflix and other outlets called "Islam: What the West Needs to Know." Muslims get bad press for doing bad things. Detractors will say, "well plenty of christians do bad things." The difference is that Muslims that get bad press for doing bad things are doing them in the name of their religion.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Shamus,

Man up for crying out loud.

Regards
Lee

[edit on 15-8-2010 by h3akalee]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

That's what I'm getting at ~Lucidity - where are these feeling coming from?

Is it from the MSM, who we are usually so critical about, knowing they are pushing an agenda?

I love religious discussion, but I like to have some respect for the subject - be it Islam, Christianity or any other religion.

Cheers
Shane

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   

If this is indeed giving ATS a bad name, then it is because we (the membership) have let it happen.

A collective voice can easily shout down an agenda driven minority.

Ignoring ignorance, should that be the new ATS motto?

The great name of ATS is what the membership make of it ultimately.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Fractured Facade is right, but big raging loner is also right. My personal take on this. It's a phase, it happens sometimes, I hope ATS will weather the storm just fine, meaning this will subside. There's no need to try to stage an opposition, let it cool by itself... hopefully.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Personally I don't see it this way. I ignore those threads and imo it doesn't represent ATS as a whole and if people look at it that way then they need to read more on ATS. Those threads aren't the majority on here and honestly if I do read one I make my own opinion. It seems as with everything else on ATS it's the "in" thing to write about. I have only been on here a year and a half but I have seen how every few months there is some new in topic to write about and right now it seems Muslims are the topic be they good or bad topics. I think everyone on here has a right to voice their opinions no matter how insane they might sound, it's that why people come here?

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Muslims are people to.

Now reptiles on the other hand ARE NOT PEOPLE and should be open for ridicule, slander and abuse.

Leave muslims alone...beat up reptiles.

WHO'S WITH ME!?

[edit on 15-8-2010 by Mr Mask]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join