It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The “Original” Foo Fighter Photo – Is It “Real”?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by FireMoon
www.santafeghostandhistorytours.com...
There's a pretty comprehensive collection of Foo Fighter pictures here. Note how most of the Japanese examples are of a similar quality.

FireMoon.....

Thanks!

There are some more interesting photos in there.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift

Originally posted by Heliocentric
In short, the photo is to blurry and its origin is not (yet) fully established in order for it to bear any weight in contemporary UFO research.

You cannot prove or disprove anything with it, only speculate.

Yeah, but the same goes for probably 99% of the video and photographic evidence presented in this forum.

I don't agree with you in that estimate, then again it's all relative and depends on how you set your standards. I'm sure there are people around that feel a 100% of all UFO evidence can be debunked.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

i think i first saw that picture, with a few more, of foo fighters in some book about unexplained mysteries. I have many family members who participated in WWII, including a grandfather and seven uncles, who used to talk about foo fighters. intersting topic. star & flag, etc

Esoteric Teacher.....

That's fascinating.....

Did they say much to you about that?

Are you able to elaborate a little?

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieOctopus
I have a hard time believing that photo is legit, it looks bad for a photo taken in 1840, let alone 1940 lol. I think foo fighters are probably real, but not that picture. The guy could have gotten out of his plane and took a rubbing with a rock and a piece of lined paper and gotten better results.
Most of you guys here probably have family photos from the WW2 era, go look at the quality of them and tell me these aren't hoaxed.

ZombieOctopus.....

On the one hand.....

It could be simply a function of atrocious photographic circumstances &/or degradation as the photo is copied & transferred to subsequent generations of the photo.

On the other hand.....

Unfortunately, there is the chance it could be a hoax, as per this infamous picture which we exposed as a hoax in the associated thread.

Australian UFO Photo: Saucer with Dome

Kind regards
Maybe…maybe not

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Heliocentric

Heliocentric.....

A simple internet search can end web pages of speculation:

www.ufoevidence.org...

Unfortunately, I don't think it's that simple.

I can tell you from experience.....that sight makes mistakes.

Regarding the other points you made, that all seems fair & reasonable!

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Perhaps its my failing eyesight but there seems to be little or no film grain evident in the 'foo fighters' compared to other areas of the print.

Possibly a suggestion that they were added later? It would be interesting to see the original negative if it still exists.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Well, a simple internet search CAN end pages of web speculation, but it didn't in this case, lol.

As Turiddu showed, everything points to that the theatre is the Pacific, and that the aircraft is Japanese, so UFO Evidence got the footnotes wrong.

Then again, UFO Evidence has a lot of cases and info in their archives, that hopefully come from first hand sources, but sometimes come from second hand sources. I've seen that photo advertised as RAF aircraft before, they had no reason to doubt it. I'm sure that if someone sends them an explanatory email, they'll correct it.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Heliocentric.....

This web site tracks the photo down:
foofighters.greyfalcon.us...

Thanks for that interesting reference.

For the sake of interest & convenience, here is the completed paragraph from your post:

The photo at the right showing what is alleged to be both a wedge-shaped and spherical-shaped Foo Fighter together with two Japanese planes is perhaps the most often depicted when citing Foo Fighters. The photo, from the 1975 photo-history by G. De Turris & S. Fusco, "Obiettivo sugli UFO," has both its supporters and detractors. If the picture was taken by Japanese photographers, which it surely must have been, it would seem, except for a quest for truth, they would have no vested interest in continuing or falsely perpetrating a myth. If, however, the photo was altered after the fact that would be another story. The question to be asked, if you were going to alter a picture, why start with such a dumb photograph when there must be thousands upon thousands of other pictures one could select?

foofighters.greyfalcon.us...

I might mention that subsequent to running the image through an image search engine, I have come up with several pages of references. I must have a look through all that & see if I can add anything worthwhile.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

[edit on 8-8-2010 by Maybe...maybe not]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by nomadros

Originally posted by Maybe...maybe not

If someone posted this exact photo (but say using a 2010 camera), here on ATS today, it would be shot down (no pun intended) as the reflection of 2 of the 'plane's control panel lights on the canopy, that the photographer was just taking a picture of the 'planes near him not of a pair of UFOs and someone else had "misinterpreted" the photo for a thread entitled "New Stunning UFO Photo" by UFOmaster
God, I'm getting too cynical.

Nomadros.....

It's just me an' li'l ol' UFOmaster against the world!

Cheers
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heliocentric
In short, the photo is to blurry and its origin is not (yet) fully established in order for it to bear any weight in contemporary UFO research.
You cannot prove or disprove anything with it, only speculate.

Heliocentric.....

Well maybe.....maybe not!

I've now posted few older photos on here that we've "sorted out" as team.

So, we might be able to figure out this one as well.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I like that image and many others like it. The problems seem to arise because the chain of evidence is long ago broken. So we have the accounts of 'foo fighters' and 'the light' straight from the mouths of aircrew witnesses. There's little doubt that they saw something unusual. Then we have the photos and we're stalled...

Some of the photos had been dog-eared and passed around through families and UFO researchers for years. Their origins have been lost. The negatives long gone. The pilots unknown and, as we've seen, the aircraft misidentified. Without research that's generally lacking, we can't take it for granted that the aircraft are what, where and when their captions describe!

The objects in the original picture (OP) could be anything...flares, shellbursts, foo-fighters. Like others have pointed out, they could also be artifacts of processing or damaged film.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a59ffa74a92f.jpg[/atsimg]

Real or faked?
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/10a3e0bc7903.jpg[/atsimg]

Popular image: brightened and reversed
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fee596fbd074.gif[/atsimg]

German Missiles
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/403e23e952e4.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ufoorbhunter

Ufoorbhunter.....

It's very nice to see you drop by!

I know this "orb" topic is very important to you.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
That's pretty hard to say, I wish I personally knew. In, the photos do look legit, but we can never say until it is announced as "authentic".

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   

If you think about it, the picture frame is centered between two aircraft. The photographer therefore did not intend to photograph any of them. The photo is centered at the two bright spots in between the aircraft. You can therefore deduce that the photographer intentionally photographed them, and reduces the possibility that this is just some type of reflection that appeared while photographing the aircraft.

or that it was cropped and enlarged - as we do not have any origional negative or solid provenance for it

so using the " composition " of the currently availiable copies as ` evidence ` is IMHO worthless

edit to add :

also as the author of the link you use is utterly inept at even the basics of aircraft identification [ its not a lysander , and no one fit to be left unsupervised would make such a fundamental error ] that i refuse to read his further musings on alleged UFOs

[edit on 8-8-2010 by ignorant_ape]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unknown Soldier
My dad was a fighter pilot in WW2 and seen them himself over the pacific. He said they were like fire balls and they just followed them. The Japanese and Germans did not know what they were either. Funny how nobody fired on them im sure they realized it would be foolish not knowing what these things were capable of. As for the foo fighters being the Nazi's secret weapon i really cant see it simply because the foo fighters did not down any planes or disrupt the campaigns. What are they? I have no clue.

here

"Ball lightning is the most curious of unexplained phenomena. Witnessed by as many as five per cent of the population, it was dismissed as an optical illusion for many years. Then, after repeated sightings by accredited scientists, it gradually won acceptance as a real, if mysterious, effect. It appears as a glowing sphere, ranging in size from a tennis ball to a football. It floats around slowly, and after a period of several seconds it disappears, either silently or with a bang and a shower of sparks. Generally yellow or blue, it can leave a strange smell of ozone. It is often associated with thunder storms or electrical apparatus."

rest of the explanation

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   

inverted

[edit on 8-8-2010 by Zeta Reticulan]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zeta Reticulan

inverted

Zeta Reticulan.....

So.....

What does that inverted image indicate to you?

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Foos were seen by USAAF and RAF pilots over Europe and the Pacific.

They were also seen and recorded by the Nazis, and the Russians as well.

I'm of a mind to believe the photo is real - and the intelligence forces of the various services on both sides were certainly concerned that the "other side" had a new secret weapon.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Nefermore.....

How nice of you to offer your thoughts on this!

Regardless of whether or not the photo is "real" (& let's hope it is), it's a very interesting topic.

There were some other weird things going on back then.....how about the "ghost rockets" & all that carry on?

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Conan The Usurper

Conan The Usurper.....

Ball lightning is a fascinating topic. Some of the reports about it are incredible! Have you read the report about the ball lightning that seemed to travel through the exterior wall of a passenger plane thereby getting inside the plane & then proceeded to move around passengers' heads?

However, I wonder about the idea of ball lightning being an explanation for Foo Fighters.

If ball lightning is so rarely reported, could it account for the seemingly many reports of Foo Fighters?

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join