It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The “Original” Foo Fighter Photo – Is It “Real”?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by facelift
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

From source: He last appeared in the dodgy US magazine UFO Universe where he was featured on the front page as having 'chased bogies at 20,000 feet,' (an astonishing spectacle no doubt!), but whilst the article gave details of UFOs he'd seen post-WWII, government film of UFOs, cover-ups, and you name it (along with mucho promotion for his many books, including UFO based novels) the Schweinfurt raid was never mentioned. Funny that, really.
Not Funny at all...hoax - the grass roots of this picture seems suspect and whether the photo is real or not, the primary individuals involved seemed to have NO recollection of the proposed incident during that raid. How the hell do you NOT remember that..?

Facelift.....

I respond with 2 pertinent points:

1st point:

The fact the "Foo Fighters" from the Schweinfurt raid appear to have been a fiction, does not define all accounts of Foo Fighters as a fiction.

2nd point:

The photo is not purported to originate from the Schweinfurt case, as per my mention of "1942, over the Pacific".

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

[edit on 8-8-2010 by Maybe...maybe not]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Heliocentric

My first thought when I saw the picture was Lysander but closer examination reveals the aircraft to look much more like the Japanese Ki-36. The wing placement is incorrect for the Lysander.

Westland Lysander

Tachikawa Ki-36

The Lysander was a high-wing monoplane while the aircraft in the image appear to be low-wing monoplanes.

As stated before, the poor image quality also suggest to me it is from a Japanese camera in the 1930s.

[edit on 8-8-2010 by Turiddu]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
They are not , in my opinion Lysanders. For a start the rear wheel and tail fin are the wrong shape. I'm not sure but also believe the wings are emanating from the bottom of the fuselage not the top as in the Lysander. Also i think the Lysander's spats were far larger.

www.fleetairarmarchive.net...

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   

i think i first saw that picture, with a few more, of foo fighters in some book about unexplained mysteries.

i have many family members who participated in WWII, including a grandfather and seven uncles, who used to talk about foo fighters.

intersting topic.

star & flag,
et

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Pertinent would be subjective in this case...

To point 1: When/Where did I generalize that All Foo accounts are fiction..? I am discussing the case you brought forward - nothing else. Are you drunk..?

To point Deux: Whether it originated or from that raid or not, the key individuals DO NOT recall the incident...mute.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Turiddu

Turiddu.....

Interesting photo

Yup.....sure is!

lets start dissecting it.

Hopefully, we can.

Do we know when and where it was exactly taken?

As per my opening post, I recall from my earlier reading that it was purportedly taken ”in 1942, over the Pacific”

We can start by trying to identify the aircraft in the image. My initial assumption is a 1930s era monoplane fighter or scout bomber given the landing gear and radial engine. Maybe Japanese? I did some online research and it appears the aircraft are these: en.wikipedia.org...

Your conclusion the planes are Tachikawa Ki-36 seems quite reasonable – see below.

So maybe it was taken during the Sino-Japanese conflict?

If you are correct, that would exclude the ”1942, over the Pacific” option.

However I note the Tachikawa Ki-36 was used in the Pacific.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

[edit on 8-8-2010 by Maybe...maybe not]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by facelift

Pertinent would be subjective in this case...
To point 1: When/Where did I generalize that All Foo accounts are fiction..? I am discussing the case you brought forward - nothing else. Are you drunk..?

To point Deux: Whether it originated or from that raid or not, the key individuals DO NOT recall the incident...mute.

Facelift.....

Sorry mate.....

It was absolutely not my intention to be in any way rude to you.

I apologise for my awkward wording.

I hope you will continue to be part of this discussion.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I have a hard time believing that photo is legit, it looks bad for a photo taken in 1840, let alone 1940 lol.

I think foo fighters are probably real, but not that picture. The guy could have gotten out of his plane and took a rubbing with a rock and a piece of lined paper and gotten better results.

Most of you guys here probably have family photos from the WW2 era, go look at the quality of them and tell me these aren't hoaxed.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   

No worries...

Sometimes it's hard to interpret your message - a godly gift indeed..!

Let the discussion continue - please...

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unknown Soldier
My dad was a fighter pilot in WW2 and seen them himself over the pacific. He said they were like fire balls and they just followed them. The Japanese and Germans did not know what they were either. Funny how nobody fired on them im sure they realized it would be foolish not knowing what these things were capable of. As for the foo fighters being the Nazi's secret weapon i really cant see it simply because the foo fighters did not down any planes or disrupt the campaigns. What are they? I have no clue.

Unknown Soldier.....

I think it is fascinating to hear that account of your Dad's experience with these things.

Thanks for that!

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unknown Soldier
Some more photos
img818.imageshack.us...
img245.imageshack.us...
www.santafeghostandhistorytours.com...
www.satorws.com...
greyfalcon.us...
moreufo.com...

Unknown Soldier.....

Thanks for those photos.

I have embedded them here for purposes of interest & convenience.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   

wow. right down the middle...

3 of those pics i have seen before or i recall seeing before, three of those are brand new to me i think.

thanks for sharing,
et

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zeta Reticulan

reply to post by Maybe...maybe not Does that mean you think the photo is a hoax?

It doesn't look right to me
it could be a photo manipulated if not the film was damaged somehow

Zeta Reticulan.....

OK.....here's a thought.....

What if the "bright objects" in the photo were really a very bad photograph of other aircraft lights or explosions as seen though clouds?

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by FireMoon

FireMoon.....

Thanks for those suggestions!

Do you think Turiddu is correct when states the aircraft in question could be the Tachikawa Ki-36?

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Turiddu
reply to post by Heliocentric

My first thought when I saw the picture was Lysander but closer examination reveals the aircraft to look much more like the Japanese Ki-36. The wing placement is incorrect for the Lysander.

Yes, I must give you credit for that. No matter how I turn different pictures of different versions of the Westland Lysander, it does not seem to correspond with the aircraft in the picture.

This web site reached the same conclusion as you:

sped2work.tripod.com...

There's therefore some confusion about the origin of the picture that must be resolved before it can be referenced.

This web site tracks the photo down:

foofighters.greyfalcon.us...

The photo at the right showing what is alleged to be both a wedge-shaped and spherical-shaped Foo Fighter together with two Japanese planes is perhaps the most often depicted when citing Foo Fighters. The photo, from the 1975 photo-history by G. De Turris & S. Fusco, "Obiettivo sugli UFO," has both its supporters and detractors...

[edit on 8-8-2010 by Heliocentric]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I tend to think that the photo in question was just a "representation" of what a foo fighter was supposed to be, and not a photo of the real thing. Even with that terrible print (and I've never seen a better copy of it anywhere), the blobs of light don't seem to be in the same plane as the aircraft. They seem to be out of focus, compared to the planes, and if they're luminous, they don't seem to reflect off the planes at all.

It always seemed to me that these were perhaps flak bursts. Or, since the plane in question was generally used as a trainer, and not in real combat, perhaps the blobs in question were some type of tethered buoy or something a gunner would use for target practice. Just a thought.

As for most of the other photos of foo fighters on the Internet, most of them look like reflections from the interiors of the photographing plane. They don't accurately represent the descriptions of foo fighters, which tended to have a "will 'o the wisp" or plasma ball/ball lightning appearance. Perhaps many of them were some kind of charged glow at a wing vortex point, created by a heavy radar beam reflection.

Wing Tip Vortex

But I don't think the photo in question is a real photo of foo fighters.

[edit on 8-8-2010 by Blue Shift]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maybe...maybe not
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/06ec261206c1.jpg[/atsimg]
[edit on 7-8-2010 by Maybe...maybe not]

If someone posted this exact photo (but say using a 2010 camera), here on ATS today, it would be shot down (no pun intended) as the reflection of 2 of the 'plane's control panel lights on the canopy, that the photographer was just taking a picture of the 'planes near him not of a pair of UFOs and someone else had "misinterpreted" the photo for a thread entitled "New Stunning UFO Photo" by UFOmaster

God, I'm getting too cynical.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
In short, the photo is to blurry and its origin is not (yet) fully established in order for it to bear any weight in contemporary UFO research.

You cannot prove or disprove anything with it, only speculate.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heliocentric
In short, the photo is to blurry and its origin is not (yet) fully established in order for it to bear any weight in contemporary UFO research.

You cannot prove or disprove anything with it, only speculate.

Yeah, but the same goes for probably 99% of the video and photographic evidence presented in this forum.

Except maybe the 500 Chinese Lantern videos.

[edit on 8-8-2010 by Blue Shift]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
The photo is a bit grainy and it's black and white so identification of their colour type is not really possible.

One thing that points to them being real foo fighters/ufo orbs is the photo contains a pair. These things from experience usually do travel in same coloured pairs.

Did most airmen sightings record pairs?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join