It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greenpeace activists close down BP stations in London

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   
I am so surprised that this has not happend a lot sooner.

This is the sort of thing that needs to be done to companies who cause such a mess.. Shut them down and hit them where it really hurts.

A fine is nothing for these people, especially when those in charge are allowed a 600k pension...

BP chief executive Tony Hayward will get an immediate annual pension worth about £600,000 ($930,000) when he leaves in October, the BBC has learned.

www.bbc.co.uk...

So, just exactly what has happened? Well, Greenpeace have finally got involved..took them long enough...

BP petrol stations in central London have been shut down by environmental activists.

Campaign group Greenpeace claimed it had shut off the fuel supplies to all stations in the area. The oil company said about 12 had been closed.

BP said activists stopped the flow of fuel by flipping safety switches, then removing them to prevent the petrol stations reopening.

www.bbc.co.uk...

So what did BP have to say about this?

A BP spokesman said the petrol stations would be reopened as soon as it was safe to do so.

He described the stunt as "an irresponsible and childish act which is interfering with safety systems".

Well, the safety systems were made secure (ie, everything was set to 'safe mode') so there was no need for any worry, I guess the guy just did not know what else to say, but still had to make it look like an irresponsible act....

And the main message from Greenpeace is rather good IMO;

Greenpeace executive director John Sauven said: "The moment has come for BP to move beyond oil.

"We've shut down all of BP's stations in London to give the new boss a chance to come up with a better plan.

"They're desperate for us to believe they're going 'beyond petroleum'. Well now's the time to prove it."

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Fair play greenpeace, now if only they could do every BP station, we might begin to see BP getting worried. I won't use a PB garage anymore (not the cheapest round here anyway, so there's another reason) I wish Greenpeac the very best of luck. I hope they can actually get someone to listen. (though I remain doubtfull)

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Rubbish! Greenpeace have no right to dictate what brand of petrol station we are allowed to use. If someone's conscience tells them that BP deserve to be punished then let them do that themselves.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mike_A
Rubbish! Greenpeace have no right to dictate what brand of petrol station we are allowed to use. If someone's conscience tells them that BP deserve to be punished then let them do that themselves.

I'll second that. This will do nothing but cause mayhem and additional traffic chaos and confusion.
Once again, the activists missing the big picture. Bet they all drove there; probably in a Prius as well lol.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I’m not sure about this. Yes people are angry and out for revenge but my thoughts are this.

BP must be held accountable, along with other companies for what happened in the GoM.

Forget the conspiracy theories for the moment. Since the accident or whatever it was, BP have at least tried to clean it up and put aside money to do it.

Somebody is going to have to pay for the clean up, for the loss of income to affected locals, for any future health claims and who knows what else. At the moment that is BP. Yet this morning BP posted record losses, one of the biggest in corporate history.

Just think for a moment if BP were to go bust, who would pay the bill.

So let’s keep BP afloat for the moment and then boycott them or whatever, if you still want to, when everything is cleaned up and everyone who needs to be is compensated.

Just my 2 cents worth.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Some people are just too lazy to even care. It's the apathetic majority that allow corporate villains like BP to get away with murder consistently. They need a reality check and a bit of spoon feeding too.

IRM

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   

I think we need to have protest groups like Greenpeace. The thing is if they didn't do it, no one would. When people are choosing their petrol, conscience is normally beaten by price as a deciding factor when buying petrol.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by who-me?

I'll second that. This will do nothing but cause mayhem and additional traffic chaos and confusion.
Once again, the activists missing the big picture. Bet they all drove there; probably in a Prius as well lol.

Oh god... shut up you two. You don't even make sense.

Greenpeace is actually doing something good, of substance and to the CORRECT target and you still sit there and whine because one day you decided to hate "tree-huggers". Greenpeace has more balls than you ever will.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   
I don't recall Greenpeace telling anyone which brand of petrol to use.

I do remember them saying that it was time that BP moved "beyond petroleum" and that is a completely different thing.. The point being that BP claim to be moving beyond the need or use of petrol, so it's about time that they stood up to their massive ego and bright ideas.

Meanwhile, BP continue to sell petrol...

Oh, and someones conscience did tell them that BP deserves to be punished..
Greenpeace actually did something in order to punish them..all be it a small effort but a damn sight more than millions of others have currently done.

And why the heck are we worrying about traffic chaos and confusion?

What we should be more concerned with is the massive loss of creatures lives in the GOM, the very possible loss of human life around the GOM and the possibility that the land surrounding the GOM could very well become poisoned and remain toxic for a long time where nothing will grow.

You make me laugh... more concerened about traffic and the hassle that will cause you trying to get around in your own cars..

That is part of the disruption..part of the method, part of the message they wish to send out. Stop BP in its tracks. Hit them where it hurts and make sure that everyone around is up to date as to what has happened in the GOM and what BP are responsible for.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Some people are just too lazy to even care.

Ah so it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks because Greenpeace just know better? Isn’t that the same attitude that everyone finds distasteful in big business?

reply to post by NoHierarchy

Greenpeace is actually doing something good, of substance and to the CORRECT target

Says who? Who are they or you to decide what is good, of substance and what the correct target it?

In my opinion, as someone has already pointed out, this will be ineffectual in actually impacting on BP in a serious way; it will only serve to alienate those who are affected; it will hurt the pockets of those who work for these garages, and even if it did hit BP hard that would not be in the best interest of anyone since we need a buoyant BP to pay for the damage caused.

reply to post by Extralien

I don't recall Greenpeace telling anyone which brand of petrol to use.

They’re physically stopping people from using BP petrol stations. What else is that?

Oh, and someones conscience did tell them that BP deserves to be punished..
Greenpeace actually did something in order to punish them..all be it a small effort but a damn sight more than millions of others have currently done.

Maybe those millions don’t think this sort of action is a good idea; but nevertheless they should put up with it because Greenpeace are willing to break the law? If a profit making organisation took that attitude there would be uproar.

What we should be more concerned with is the massive loss of creatures lives in the GOM

And how does this help with any of that?

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   

First, my opinion is as valid as yours whether you agree with it or not. Do not tell me to shut up.

Secondly, what will boycotting or protesting BP do?

They're already cleaning it up and spending billions, they have said they will pay for future and unforeseen as yet costs. They as another poster quoted have quoted record losses. Yet they continue to pay for what has happened.

You still think their revenue needs further reduction due to protests? Who do you suggest foots the bill if they go bankrupt. Who ya gonna protest then?

Come up with a logical answer and explain what protesting is going to achieve that isn't already happening and I'll consider your earlier request.

Till then, I speak.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien

"They're desperate for us to believe they're going 'beyond petroleum'. Well now's the time to prove it."

So, Greenpeace have called BP out on their pre GoM promotional alternative energy marketing campaigns?

We have yet to see if BP's alternative energy products are market ready. If not, then I cannot see how BP will be able to weather the storm (pun intended) of the 50%+ reduction in share prices/values and the £32b costs of clean-up and restitution.

If negative market impact on existing BP products (Greenpeace action or not) has led to a sharp decline in consumer confidence with co-commitent drop in revenue sales and BP rolls out the tech they claim to have invested in, then IMO, there is credence to the theory that the 'spill' was not entirely a neglectful or fraudulent accident.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Greenpeace is actually doing something good, of substance and to the CORRECT target

Says who? Who are they or you to decide what is good, of substance and what the correct target it?

In my opinion, as someone has already pointed out, this will be ineffectual in actually impacting on BP in a serious way; it will only serve to alienate those who are affected; it will hurt the pockets of those who work for these garages, and even if it did hit BP hard that would not be in the best interest of anyone since we need a buoyant BP to pay for the damage caused.

Says just about everyone on the planet with half a heart and mind. If you want to get all philosophical then technically NOTHING is good or bad and NOTHING has intrinsic value except as defined by human minds... but we're not having a philosophical debate, we're talking with our human minds in the real world as it affects us.

How will this be ineffectual when such a significant action has been taken and reported by the media? You sorely underestimate the power of such protests. It won't alienate those affected... how you do you even surmise that?? Most people are probably cheering them on (unless they for some partisan reason can't muster a cheer for Greenpeace). Honestly... the pockets of those who work for those garages are already being hit harder by BPs irresponsibility and subsequent actions. And frankly... people need to start TAKING RESPONSIBILITY for who they work for. You can't work for Lockheed Martin and then go home and claim you're not somehow supporting the military-industrial complex and its wars that kill innocent people. Same goes for BP. Now I absolutely respect and understand the needs of workers (like myself) to simply make a living, and most of us have to take what we can get. However, the issue of the oil spill is quite a bit more serious and destructive than a couple days of no business for some BP stations. If we are willing to be creative and truly care for the workers then we can set up a fund for them separately from giving money to BP. As for keeping BP buoyant... they have PLENTY of money to pay for the damages, and if they go under... then so BE IT! That is what should happen in the real world when a corporation misbehaves or screws up big time... they face serious/natural consequences. I will not shed a single tear for BP.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by who-me?

First, my opinion is as valid as yours whether you agree with it or not. Do not tell me to shut up.

Secondly, what will boycotting or protesting BP do?

They're already cleaning it up and spending billions, they have said they will pay for future and unforeseen as yet costs. They as another poster quoted have quoted record losses. Yet they continue to pay for what has happened.

You still think their revenue needs further reduction due to protests? Who do you suggest foots the bill if they go bankrupt. Who ya gonna protest then?

Come up with a logical answer and explain what protesting is going to achieve that isn't already happening and I'll consider your earlier request.

Till then, I speak.

Ok... you know how I was using the phrase "shut up". I can't ACTUALLY shut you up, nor did I expect you to. Tt was a figure of speech basically saying you're full of it.

Boycotting and protesting can and has historically had significant positive effects. If you don't know this then please research it as I don't feel like providing you with every example.

They're cleaning it up and spending billions... well it really depends who you ask (whether they're doing a good job or not). There's a lot of talk about BP sitting on their thumbs and not performing cleanups correctly, not dispensing booms properly, using dispersant that causes more problems than solutions, rejecting outside help, etc. Not to mention people getting sick, whether workers, cleanup crews, or the local populace. They have also sent out lawyers to essentially bribe locals into signing away their rights to sue and having to keep their mouths shut about BP. Do not be fooled by the PR campaign, there is some ugly sh** going on under BPs orders even AFTER the spill. I'm not saying they're not doing ANYTHING of course they're putting out a massive effort and dumping untold amounts of money into cleanup and funds... but it's far from the rosy picture you may perceive it as.

Protest is a way of telling BP they're not doing a good enough job, and considering the scale of this disaster they had BETTER do as SUPERB a job as possible. If they fail at this, you're damn right their feet will be held to the fire... if not by government than by the populace/protest groups who will have no fear in speaking truth and making demands to power. You must also consider that there is a limited array of tactics one can use in a peaceful protest to get their voices heard, and Greenpeace knows how to do it.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Says just about everyone on the planet with half a heart and mind

Done a poll have you?

This isn’t some philosophical quandary where they have no other option; they could have simply protested outside these petrol station and urged motorists not to use them thereby leaving it up to those people to decide whether they agreed with Greenpeace or not. Instead they took it upon themselves to decide for all of these other people.

How will this be ineffectual when such a significant action has been taken and reported by the media?

So what effect will it have and how do you measure it?

It won't alienate those affected... how you do you even surmise that

Well if I needed petrol, or relied on selling it for my income then I’d be pretty annoyed with Greenpeace for hindering that. Disruption to routine is generally not taken very well.

Most people are probably cheering them on

Again your opinion just trumps all others does it? My suggestion that being stopped from getting petrol might be annoying is nonsense but you have some divine insight that tells you everyone will be cheering Greenpeace on?

Here’s a selection of public comments from a few major news sites; the majority appear to be against Greenpeace.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

www.thisislondon.co.uk...

news.sky.com... ces-Second-Quarter-Results/Article/201007415671454?lpos=UK_News_News_Your_Way_Region_9&lid=NewsYourWay_ARTICLE_15671454_BP%3A_Greenpeace_Closes_All_BP _Petrol_Stations_In_London_As_Company_Announces_Second_Quarter_Results ]Link

Link 2

So yes I stand by my suggestion that this is alienating.

And frankly... people need to start TAKING RESPONSIBILITY for who they work for.

Because people who work in petrol stations are overwhelmed by job options.

and if they go under... then so BE IT!

Then who pays for the cleanup and the compensation?

[edit on 27-7-2010 by Mike_A]

[edit on 7/27/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Look here, even the comments on Greenpeace's own website are negative...

Greenpeace 1

Greenpeace 2

Still think that the whole world is behind Greenpeace on this? Or maybe all the negative comments are from people with no hearts or minds eh, yeah must be it.

Edit - Thanks to Semperfortis for sorting out the links

[edit on 27-7-2010 by Mike_A]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   
And just when did Greenpeace have the right to cripple small businesses and tell me what brand of fuel I can purchase.

Many petrol stations are not run and owned by the company whos logo sits on the station, but as franchises.

Weel done, Greenpeace. Destroy people's businesses so you can make some point with a global company that will not care if these small businesses go under.

And to those to support this action. Thank you for the lack of support for small businesses in the UK.

And please none of this "Greenpeace are making a point to BP rubbish"

BP, quote rightly will not take notice. Again, it is the "little" people who are being hurt.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Freedom ERP

I think you'll find BP has crippled more than a few small business's in the Gulf of mexico. If drivers in London are gonna moan about not being able to get their petrol from BP for one morning then so be it. It's no real biggie is it. No small business will be crippled in London because of a Greenpeace action.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I care less about what is going on in the GoM, but more about the impact of small business owners in my own country.

And these small businesses who run BP petrol stations impacted by this action, will suffer. They will lose revenue and turnover, not only from non sales of fuel but other items we purchase when filling up. In some cases, people may decide to shop for their fuel from another station, and drop their revenue and business down. And guess what, BP will not be impacted as most petrol stations have long term agreements for the supply of fuel.

So by this action, Greenpeace may be damaging the businesses of "the little people", and I for one, will take them to task for this. It is hard enough to run a small business in this country without a bunch of leftie goodies making a "grand political point".

Will anyone from Greenpeace help any of these small businesses? Or would they rather make some grand point to a global company that will not notice.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Freedom ERP

So a mornings protest from Greenpeace has crippled your small business for decades? No I didn't think so. Unlike the small business's you dont care about in the Gulf of Mexico. Damn those Leftie goodies, always trying to make the world a better place, putting their own concerns of the planet before profit.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join