It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greenpeace activists close down BP stations in London

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Pardon me?

A BP station closes... People lose their jobs... The two do go together, y'know...

Greenpeace has done admirable things. I've donated to them. They do serve a purpose, and it's one I support.

BP screwed the pooch, big time.

Seems I do indeed know exactly where I stand, thank you.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

But the BP station DIDN'T close did it?

So no loss of jobs. The only thing that occured was a healthy dose of chaos.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   

A pleasure to lock horns

Actually if they're local businesses then shoppers probably need LESS petrol to get there.

Not if you are the owner of one of the BP stations targeted by Greenpeace. People visit a petrol station typically to fuel their cars etc and then may buy other things such as milk, bread and the like. And these businesses has lost income today because Greenpeace felt like making a media point. As I have said, as others have said in this thread, this action does nothing to harm BP, it just raises the media profile for Greenpeace and may help them with their fundraising.

Speak for yourself. Good people would not willingly ruin an ecosytsem and cost hundreds of thousands of lives, aswell as lying about it.

And where did I say that those who directly caused the spill in GoM were good people?

Hmm but you're defending Bp. Which makes you (in my eyes) a corporate defender. This is what is ruining small business.

You must reading a different thread to me. Again, where did I defend BP? All my comments have been based on the impact on small business owners, who are the vast majority of the owners of not only BP fuel stations but all fuel stations, and I will always defend small business from the bullying of any organisation, and the actions of Greenpeace are nothing but bully tatics aimed at the wrong place, and not amount of any support on this thread will change that.

Greenpeace have got this very wrong and it is sad that an organisation that does do a great deal of good in promoting environment causes, did not sit back and think before it acted on this one.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

In your opinion, what is better, the eventual extinction of a sea going mammal or the money lined pockets of another mammal?

Just how do we get from the impediment of the lawful activities of small business owners who happen to run a franchised BP petrol station to the extinction of whales. You are looking to justify the bullying tatics of Greenpeace by saying that the ends justifies the means. Tell that to all the small business owners who had the income dented today just because that signed an agreement to own a franchised BP petrol station.

The very small disruption todays event caused is miniscule in comparison to the mess that BP has created in the GOM, and I am not just thinking about the oil, I am also taking into consideration the millions of gallons of corexit that they have pumped into the ocean too.

And what are you doing to reduce your use of the crude oil economy. You, just like me are to blame for this leak and what ever needs to be done to clean up as we want the products of the crude oil economy. And BP are the prime contractor for this well but please remember that many other oil based companies need to be accountable for their actions.

Your continued concern for 'the small business' is uncomprehensible when you look at the big picture.

It is your lack of concern for the small business owners in the UK that is uncomprehensible. Without these and millions of other small businesses, the big picture is pointless as there is no big picture. And just how big a picture is this?

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by 2weird2live2rare2die

I have got to ask what the relevent of your post is to the title and the dicussion we are having? Did you post in the wrong forum?

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
all the little people in the G-O-M and there familys and there businesses all gone quite possibly forever what good is money when you cant breath when you cant eat when you cant drink the water when you cant grow crops because the rain is poisoned millions of peoples lives ruined and for what GREED fake/fiat/script/money disgusting

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Seriously... All these big oil companies should get their asses out of the deep sea... the deepwater horizon incident is proof, that they can't handle the risks. watch this little animation video made by some Greenpeace peeps www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I would assume this works the same way in London as in the United States but most of the time a gas station is run by a franchisee. Shutting down BP stations causes those people to lose money when they had nothing to do with the spill. That would be like if McDonald's caused a mad cow epidemic because of neglect or incompetence and people went around burning down McD restaurants. There are people whose livelihoods depend on those restaurants that would have had nothing to do with any decisions made to cut corners at the expense of others.

I used to think that people should boycott BP stations too until my dad brought up this important fact that I had not thought about.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by marcimo

And we just give up on the crude oil economy? Say goodbye to this website then, as it is very much based on the products produced by the crude oil economy and just where would we continue to get crude oil from.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Thank you Greenpeace in Britain - move on to the US!!

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom ERP

A pleasure to lock horns

Indeed

Not if you are the owner of one of the BP stations targeted by Greenpeace. People visit a petrol station typically to fuel their cars etc and then may buy other things such as milk, bread and the like. And these businesses has lost income today because Greenpeace felt like making a media point. As I have said, as others have said in this thread, this action does nothing to harm BP, it just raises the media profile for Greenpeace and may help them with their fundraising.

Aaah but you speak of local business and then you talk as though the BP station is some kind of homegrown business, when in actual fact it has more than likely replaced the dairy farm, the baker, the grocer and the like.... When the truth is... Corporations such as BP and Tesco etc etc are the one's which have pushed local business out of the equation.

You must reading a different thread to me. Again, where did I defend BP?

My mistake.

All my comments have been based on the impact on small business owners, who are the vast majority of the owners of not only BP fuel stations but all fuel stations, and I will always defend small business from the bullying of any organisation, and the actions of Greenpeace are nothing but bully tatics aimed at the wrong place, and not amount of any support on this thread will change that.

But i don't know about you - If i saw a load of activists outside BP, it would make me more likely to avoid them and visit a local bakery for example... Can you see my point?

Greenpeace have got this very wrong and it is sad that an organisation that does do a great deal of good in promoting environment causes, did not sit back and think before it acted on this one.

But we don't know exactly what they aimed to do... so maybe we both can't comment?

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

But as i've just mentioned (above) local businesses are being strangled by these corporations - without a BP station, we 'd be forced to re-open individual business and trade.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom ERP
reply to post by marcimo

And we just give up on the crude oil economy? Say goodbye to this website then, as it is very much based on the products produced by the crude oil economy and just where would we continue to get crude oil from.

This is not giving up on the crude oil economy - this is a protest on a company that did not follow safety standards!

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I don't suppose Greenpeace ever considered that shutting down BP operations, and thus making a loss, is the best way of not finding the money for compensation and cleaning up the spill.

Not the most intelligent of actions really.

[edit on 27/7/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Awesome, 'love their work- beautiful to watch!" Shame Greenpeace can't do that to every BP petrol station in the globe and bring BP to their knees, as they have done to the Gulf of Mexico.

Unbelievable that the CEO Tony Hayward could be responsible for killing the planet to feather his own nest, AND THEN he gets rewarded for doing it with this ridiculous 'departure package' he's getting. In my book he doesn't even deserve to live on this planet anymore after what he's done.

Just my humble opinion.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Greenpeace should be flaunting alternatives to oil or they should attempt to actually punish BP while making sure another event will not happen in the future. In reality all they are doing yet again proving that many (all?) of their members are douche bags whom would rather unlawfully disrupt small businesses (franchises) and also the lives of thousands of people trying to get to and from work. In the end is likely to accomplish the exact opposite of what Greenpeace is attempting to achieve. I have participated in (environmental) protests before, not once would I nor anyone in the group ever consider disrupting people.

[edit on 27/7/2010 by C0bzz]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

activists stopped the flow of fuel by flipping safety switches, then removing them to prevent the petrol stations reopening

sounds like plain theft to me

if it isnt - then where are the switches - and why cannot a qualified person reinstall them in 5 minuites ???

or is theft acceptable when you are claiming the moral high ground ?

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
i have a suggestion for BP and all the petrol stations affected :

sue greenpeace for loss of earnings and the value of the switches removed

hey hit them where it hurts

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Greenpeace is still made up of illiterates and radicals I see
Boycotting stations BP does not even own
That will show BP who is boss

Same crap in the US. Honestly are all environmental activists this poorly educated? (sarcasm so don't get your panties in a bunch, we all care about the environment)

How about the next time a mass murderer is caught we lynch the owner of the restaurant where he bought his last meal? That would teach him! Same mentality exactly.

Why do you think these groups have so little support. It's crap like this. Nobody wants to jump on board with people who protest nuclear power by trying to sink a ship with plutonium on it and cause an environmental catastrophe. Yes, Greenpeace did that to. Even told the Terrorists where the ship was. These people are not for real. They are rebellious teenagers who never grew up. Future candidates to be life partners with their cellmates.

Remember, if you support them, you are one of them and just as fake. Somewhere at the top there most certainly is very bad people who could give a crap less about the environment. What they care about is recruiting rebellious rich kids and sucking Daddy's accounts dry.

Now some of you will lie and say I'm defending BP when in fact I'm defending the innocent people, your neighbors, who own the stations.

We now return you to radioactive oil volcanoes and such.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Why do you think these groups have so little support. It's crap like this. Nobody wants to jump on board with people who protest nuclear power by trying to sink a ship with plutonium on it and cause an environmental catastrophe. Yes, Greenpeace did that to. Even told the Terrorists where the ship was. These people are not for real. They are rebellious teenagers who never grew up. Future candidates to be life partners with their cellmates.

Do you have a source for that? Might be useful when debating about Nuclear power...

Thanks.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join